Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
After the Manas steak and the Trey Wingo steak I'm not gonna cook any expensive cut of meat like that and risk loving it up. Not even for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Freaquency posted:

Steak is good but if you are at even a baseline level of competence in the kitchen then a steakhouse steak is usually not worth it

I disagree. A 100 dollar steak is always better than home unless you can dry age your own poo poo and buy your own truffles :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, steak is amazingly easy to make very fantastic at home if you have a cast iron skillet and any degree of moderate competence, but it's still incredibly nice to have someone else cook you a perfect one sometimes.

A Musso & Frank ribeye at rare plus with some steamed spinach and au gratin potatoes and washed down with many Jameson whiskey sours is a pretty ideal meal out, IMHO

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I disagree. A 100 dollar steak is always better than home unless you can dry age your own poo poo and buy your own truffles :colbert:

If you’re dry-aging a steak or otherwise splurging on something that’s a different story, and that can make going to a steakhouse worth it. If you’re just doing a bog-standard sirloin or strip though then I just want to make it myself 10 out of 10 times.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Don't get me started on truffles. Especially the lie of summer truffles.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I don't think I've ever had truffles. I have had plenty of expensive cuts of meat and whole roast pigs or lambs thanks to having some fancy chef friends and friends who know other fancy chefs. There's something extra delicious about getting fresh crispy pork skin right off the roast pig.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Manoueverable posted:

After the Manas steak and the Trey Wingo steak I'm not gonna cook any expensive cut of meat like that and risk loving it up. Not even for myself.

Cook whatever you want, just never post pictures. That’s the mistake. Food is hard to photograph even when it is fine, but the trolls will get you no matter what.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Because my partner is Japanese, she sometimes treats steaks as yakiniku both from cooking and how she wants to eat it. It’s taken some work to get her more onboard with medium-cooked steaks in general. The other problem is that most of the steaks we can get from local grocery stores are thinner so easier to treat that way.

LeeMajors posted:

Cook whatever you want, just never post pictures. That’s the mistake. Food is hard to photograph even when it is fine, but the trolls will get you no matter what.

This. It’s hard to prep it to look beautiful, and even harder to photo and transition that to a screen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KC people keep giving me homemade rubs and I never use them, along with my 15 other rare rubs bought in specialty shops. Most of them have brown sugar in them no thanks.

If I want steak I go the Gordon Ramsay way and use rosemary and garlic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjWwZwlHQg

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 16, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking of giving up red meat for Lent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, food photography is insanely difficult. In a past life I was the director of marketing at a hotel, and we renovated our entire lobby and restaurant area; when we launched the new restaurant I offered to do the photos of the new menu (I've been shooting on SLRs since I was 14, and I was 31 at the time, so I had the experience), but the GM of the hotel overruled me and brought in a photographer he'd worked with in the past. After I saw the finished results, I understood why I was told to fork out a few thousand bucks from my discretionary budget.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

KC people keep giving me homemade rubs and I never use them, along with my 15 other rare rubs bought in specialty shops. Most of them have brown sugar in them no thanks.

If I want steak I go the Gordon Ramsay way and use rosemary and garlic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjWwZwlHQg

I never want someone’s homemade rub. Homemade berebere? Sure. But meat needs salt, pepper, maybe some garlic and herbs. That’s it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Montreal steak seasoning is good on certain cuts when grilled, but the italian dressing. Jesus christ. Yuck.

Costco has been selling this two pack of "The Blend" (salt, pepper, garlic) and this buttery steakhouse rub. The rub is fantastic on ribeyes and the occasional waygu.

Kinder's is my go-to as well. The buttery steakhouse is too artificial tasting to me. But the SPG Blend oooooh boy that is fantastic on everything. Especially brisket.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

KC people keep giving me homemade rubs

well aren't we the popular one :wink:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LeeMajors posted:

Sheepshead are funny because they have these very human molar looking teeth that they crush crustaceans with and are super light biters.

Just because the law of averages says there's a landlubber or two here that hasn't yet been freaked out by them like I was as an 8 year old who reeled one in for the first time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nope

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I need a new tooth. Can I use a fish tooth?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

I need a new tooth. Can I use a fish tooth?

Just put money under your pillow and wait for the Tooth Mannequin to bring you a tooth while you sleep.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

Just because the law of averages says there's a landlubber or two here that hasn't yet been freaked out by them like I was as an 8 year old who reeled one in for the first time

fish heads

fish heads

roly-poly fish heads

fish heads

fish heads

eat them up yum

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know how real these Bing AI Chatbot screenshots are or if they're just photoshopped stories but I Want to Believe. They are so beautifully dystopian.

https://twitter.com/juan_cambeiro/status/1625854733255868418

He is a bad person :mad:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Supposed leak of live action Flounder from the new Little Mermaid movie

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/1625984174309150720

GAH

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Give it Sheepshead/Sonic teeth.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Intruder posted:

GAH

Poor Flounder, got the bad plastic surgery and Madonna faced himself.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That fish looks like a Resident Evil fish

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My entire workday yesterday was a very special kind of shitshow and I really want to type up the full exciting story of what happened for this thread but it is 12:40 AM and I need sleep and I don't even have a fraction of the energy to do that poo poo right now so

I'm posting this to remind me to do it today.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Anyone here been thru a separation after a very long term relationship? Kinda lost right now, plus a few tall boys

Kiimo you still got that place in Moonridge? I could use a place to crash haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 16, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a sexual elk posted:

Anyone here been thru a separation after a very long term relationship? Kinda lost right now, plus a few tall boys

I started dating my ex-wife in 2004 and we split in 2018.

What's up?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’d take it to DMs but after 16 years here I don’t know how

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Timby posted:

I started dating my ex-wife in 2004 and we split in 2018.

What's up?

Anyway lovely

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

I'm sorry. I can only say that it's hard for awhile but it gets better over time and really time is the only thing that helps and heals and lets you move on

I don't know your circumstances and won't pretend to. I'll just say that regardless of who's at fault or even if no one's at fault it's painful but the pain will pass. Don't stop living your life over it and also people close to you will let you lean on them

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

2 kids, telling the 6 year old I have to go away for work and just hugging the crap out of the 2 year old cause he doesn’t understand anything

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 16, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kids definitely make things a lot more complicated. The only thing you can do is make sure they know you love them and nothing is because of them and you'll always be there for them and always make sure they know this as they grow up because they won't understand it at first even if they're older

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

GAH
Well realistic Flounder would be flat with both eyes moved to one side of the head, so I accept the blotchy nonsense over the Cubist mindfuck of real flounder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flounder#/media/File:Flounder_(48797888528).jpg
click through for big

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

a sexual elk posted:

Been through a couple of 5+ years ones (no kids thankfully). It sucks big time. You’re going to have your sadboi hours. They’re a necessary part of the healing process. Just don’t do anything dumb. Lean on your friends. I did and did the same for them when their time came. Therapy is a good idea; I probably should’ve done it but never bothered. Instead I let the depression cause me to eat less and lose some weight I needed to lose anyway. I also had a job where I could lean heavily into work - basically my schedule became work out, work, sleep for a couple months. Not a great way to live, but was great for saving up/prepping for grad school and getting in better shape than I’d been in in years. Meeting a short-term hookup friend helped the most tbh but that wasn’t until 3-4 months later. Dating around a bit was a welcome change of pace in a couple ways.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TFF = The Fish Forum now.

Also, sorry sexual elk. I've been divorced once, but didn't have kids involved. Not sure how great my advice is, but definitely find someone to talk to. If you have friends that are open to listening, that's my preference, but therapists are also good too. Just helps to say things out loud sometimes.

If you're still trying to make it work, you can try to get into marriage/couples therapy. If it doesn't get you back together, it may be easier for you to accept that it's over. That's what happened in my divorce, I was still really hung up on trying to get back together, and then after one session I came to the realization that it was over and there was no going back. Helped me move on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

a sexual elk posted:

2 kids, telling the 6 year old I have to go away for work and just hugging the crap out of the 2 year old cause he doesn’t understand anything

Im sorry you’re going through this, it sounds absolutely heartbreaking.

I have no experience with divorce and no real advice, just make sure you take care of yourself. Making two happy homes for your kiddos (if that is where it heads) is about all you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Staring at that Sheepshead fish just reminds me of the other weekend when my girlfriend’s parents sat us and her brother and his girlfriend down to teach us how to play Sheepshead and my brain just did not understand any of it after two hours and I’ve never felt more dumb

I’m a terrible Wisconsinite :negative: