Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It has some really interesting and convincing sounding answers, for sure. But I have to wonder about the accuracy. ChatGPT is known for being very confidently wrong all the time. For instance, the "how many LTT bags can a Model 3 trunk fit" question was answered wrong both times it was asked (in the LTT tweet and on the WAN show). It sounded very convincing, and it looked like it was doing a lot of thoughtful math and estimations, but it just spat out wrong answers because it didn't collect all the data correctly. So it's actually worse than old bing because it will confidently tell people incorrect information.

Tbf, Google does this all the time. You ask it a question, it’ll find what it thinks is a relevant source, and spit out a contextless answer. But if you check the link, it’s not that unusual for it to not be what you asked for. I actually think it might have gotten worse in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
google was designed to just index the internet, not give you straight answers. when voice assistants were suddenly in vogue because of alexa, everything became a game of "i'm feeling lucky"

now google sucks both for that and as a search engine, and chatgpt kind of walked over the bar of low expectations people have for google nowadays

i wonder how seo is going to play into all this. i personally started using kagi a long time ago, because google is literally useless today when it's not straight up serving malware in the sponsored top results

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AI has already started a new front in the SEO wars with spammers using GPT to spew out low-quality high-SEO content while google scrambles to build AI detection AIs and spammers tune their models to avoid detection

the endgame is a grey goo scenario where most content on the internet is generated by AIs trained on other AIs trained on other AIs with some distant memory of originally being trained on human-created text and images

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Tbf, Google does this all the time. You ask it a question, it’ll find what it thinks is a relevant source, and spit out a contextless answer. But if you check the link, it’s not that unusual for it to not be what you asked for. I actually think it might have gotten worse in recent years.

Yeah, but the reason some people are excited for ChatGPT's integration into Bing isn't so it can find the same information you'd find in a quick google search, but its ability to answer complex questions in a manner that normal search engines can't. I'd say that ChatGPT is attempting to fill in a hole and providing information that was previously thought impossible for a search engine to provide. Except that information is often going to be bunk. It's a whole new way to receive misinformation on the internet. How fun.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We are approaching an age of not knowing wtf content comes from or if its real. This is not going to go well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It has definitely gotten worse. Clicking a link and not finding any of the text that was shown in the summary makes me irrationally angry.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Microsoft wants to replace Edge's PDF reader with the Acrobat PDF engine from Adobe. Not sure how I feel about this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Exciting new vectors for security flaws

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

redeyes posted:

We are approaching an age of not knowing wtf content comes from or if its real. This is not going to go well.

Oh so you mean the internet, anyways?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Oh so you mean the internet, anyways?

Yes and I suppose a lot of other stuff but most of physical media is dieing off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Exciting new vectors for security flaws

it's like activex all over again

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've had pushback from people in the past year when I've said that Google search has gotten worse over time - I'd say it started getting noticeably worse around the same time they pushed for a uniform system between phones and computers. Dumbed it down and removed options, to the point I am used to having to add additional search terms to get what I want, like the aforementioned Wikipedia.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Google's been pissing me off for a long while now, when it started to reinterpret my search terms very loosely and was returning tons of search results that didn't even include them and were generally not really related to the terms at all. If you could force verbatim search as default, that'd be nice, but you can't.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone ran into Win11 just refusing to log you in? The fingerprint, face and even password aren't recognized and it says I have to use the PIN. Which I think I might remember from setting it up a year ago but isn't recognized either. At this point I'm probably close to locking out the account so I'm not attempting it any more.

Pressing "forgot pin" of course takes me to this helpful page:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone ran into Win11 just refusing to log you in? The fingerprint, face and even password aren't recognized and it says I have to use the PIN. Which I think I might remember from setting it up a year ago but isn't recognized either. At this point I'm probably close to locking out the account so I'm not attempting it any more.

Do you use multiple keyboard languages? Did you change your password recently? If not, your computer is probably compromised.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it connected to a Microsoft account? Is the machine getting a network connection?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Ya TPM is done goofed, son.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress Adobe. Remember when the built in Reader in W8 let you edit, or at least draw on stuff? That was so great when I was in college and we had all PDF textbooks

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
you can sort of get around it by using Fill & Sign but it doesn't even let you rotate the text box lmfao. classic adobe

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I read things about features gated by subscription. Couldn't be assed to follow up. Back to Chrome or Firefox it is.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I read things about features gated by subscription. Couldn't be assed to follow up. Back to Chrome or Firefox it is.

I'd lean more towards Firefox as it allows drawing and adding text~

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google's been pissing me off for a long while now, when it started to reinterpret my search terms very loosely and was returning tons of search results that didn't even include them and were generally not really related to the terms at all. If you could force verbatim search as default, that'd be nice, but you can't.

It was absolutely wild when they just started randomly dropping terms from what you’re searching for. It’ll even ignore quotes and subtractions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was absolutely wild when they just started randomly dropping terms from what you’re searching for. It’ll even ignore quotes and subtractions.

I really liked it when they got rid of Advanced search. So helpful of them to get rid of that pesky granular control of my searches!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google is on a solid trajectory into the sewer of tech.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok problem solved - forced a logoff and reboot to the point where you have to enter the account name too, and the password was accepted this time.

Vic posted:

Do you use multiple keyboard languages? Did you change your password recently? If not, your computer is probably compromised.
Yes / no / maybe??

I checked that the password I'm entering is actually correct by unmasking it. It's not impossible I screwed up but considering it also refused to recognize my mug and fingerprint I think it's more likely something fucky is going on.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it connected to a Microsoft account? Is the machine getting a network connection?
Yes? Or maybe?

I should've mentioned it's my work laptop but I was phone posting so oops :)

Went to get the unlock keys before I managed to actually lock the account, but with "Microsoft account" it won't let me login from the phone even after asking for 2FA, but with "Azure account" (or w/e it's called) it did even though everything looked identical otherwise.

bobua posted:

Ya TPM is done goofed, son.
That would make sense. Don't really know the details of how it's all set up but it would explain why suddenly nothing worked.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty cool that the Windows Store still cant handle auto updates. Playing a game yesterday from the couch and opened up the game bar, it had to be updated, along with a couple dozen more things. This shouldn't be hard.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

mobby_6kl posted:

That would make sense. Don't really know the details of how it's all set up but it would explain why suddenly nothing worked.

I also have zero idea how it works, but my off the cuff guess is that when you use something like your face or a pin, some sorta security token is stored in the TPM. It gets corrupted or invalid in some way and boomkowski, you're back to having to know your real credentials.

Another dead giveaway is if bitlocker suddenly wants you to type in a key on boot. I also don't know how that works but I assume the key is usually stored in the tpm and suddenly the tpm can't provide it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Latitude 7490 with Intel 8250U and 32GB RAM that I mainly use for web browsing and MS Office. I plan to keep the laptop for another 5+ years since the 4c/8t CPU is capable and the battery is replaceable.

I'm upgrading the 250GB SSD to 1TB and my question is whether I should also upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11. If I do an in-place upgrade to Win11 to activate it on my hardware, followed by a clean Win11 install on the new SSD, my concern is that if Win11 is sluggish on the hardware and I want to go back to Win10, I won't be able to activate Win10 after a reformat/reinstall. I bought the laptop used which I think had an activated install, so I don't have a key sitting around.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 14, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be amazed if a Latitude didn't have the Windows Pro activation stored in the firmware. If you go to System -> About it will tell you how Windows was activated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Latitude 7490 with Intel 8250U and 32GB RAM that I mainly use for web browsing and MS Office. I plan to keep the laptop for another 5+ years since the 4c/8t CPU is capable and the battery is replaceable.

I'm upgrading the 250GB SSD to 1TB and my question is whether I should also upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11. If I do an in-place upgrade to Win11 to activate it on my hardware, followed by a clean Win11 install on the new SSD, my concern is that if Win11 is sluggish on the hardware and I want to go back to Win10, I won't be able to activate Win10 after a reformat/reinstall. I bought the laptop used which I think had an activated install, so I don't have a key sitting around.

As long as Windows shows as activated on the current Win 10 install I don't think it should be a problem. Given your concerns, it kind of sounds like your best bet would be to replace the SSD, do a fresh Win 10 install, update it, then do the in-place Win 11 "upgrade." That way you can revert a little faster and easier than doing a fresh Win 11 install, deciding you don't like it, and having to do another fresh install of Win 10.

It's unlikely that just changing the system drive would make Microsoft not want to activate it, and even if it did that should be fixable by contacting them, but I feel like pointing out that in the absolute worst-case scenario you can get a Windows license in SA Mart for like $20.

Edit: On re-reading your post, I don't think it's a concern that if you did a fresh install of 11 then decided to do a fresh install of 10 that it would refuse to activate. There is not (and to my knowledge never has been) a lock-in to a Windows upgrade version (outside maybe their old practice of having dedicated upgrade keys, which required an install to be present in order to work).

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't know how much longer we'll have Windows but as long as we do there will be people trying to convince you not to upgrade and you can usually always ignore those people. Get 11.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It's me. Win 11 is pretty hot garbage. The only reason to upgrade besides admittedly better HDR support is 'it's new' and 'I think rounded corners are pretty' and perhaps, 'I really wish my desktop was more like my phone...'

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's me. Win 11 is pretty hot garbage. The only reason to upgrade besides admittedly better HDR support is 'it's new' and 'I think rounded corners are pretty' and perhaps, 'I really wish my desktop was more like my phone...'

To be fair, if you have a touchscreen it is (arguably) slightly better than 10. Also, if you have one of the newer Intel CPUs with big/little cores then you need Windows 11 for proper support.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Win 11 handles turning on additional screens better for me. With Win 10 my monitors would blink for ten or more seconds if I turned on the tv, now there’s usually no blinking at all and the process is shorter regardless.

I also like the new Settings menu more, and the smaller volume bar overlay.

Unfortunately, there’s a bunch of things I don’t like, but I’m sticking with it for now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Win 11 handles turning on additional screens better for me. With Win 10 my monitors would blink for ten or more seconds if I turned on the tv, now there’s usually no blinking at all and the process is shorter regardless.

I also like the new Settings menu more, and the smaller volume bar overlay.

Unfortunately, there’s a bunch of things I don’t like, but I’m sticking with it for now.

The part where it remembers where DisplayLink monitor contents are and puts them back is loving invaluable if you (like me) have a laptop you regularly connect and disconnect from docks or have a monitor you need to power cycle occasionally.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

codo27 posted:

I don't know how much longer we'll have Windows but as long as we do there will be people trying to convince you not to upgrade and you can usually always ignore those people. Get 11.

Eh, I'll be running windows 10 2021 ltsc iot on my machine for as long as I feel like. Support runs out in 2032. I prefer not to be forced in to having things changed around randomly because some interns needed a project at Microsoft

Others are free to do as they please, the only truly important advice being that if the machine is online, make sure you're running an OS that gets security updates

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 14, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Josh Lyman posted:

As others have said, laptops from at least the Win 10 days, I think they might have started before that, store the Windows Activation on the hardware of the system itself. This also applies to pre-built systems.

Toss the new SSD in there, fresh install Win11, and use it. If you don't like it, format and toss Win10 on it. Worse case you are out a bit of time downloading and re-installing some stuff. Windows installs take 10 minutes or so now a days.

The absolute worse case is you have to authenticate the key with a phone call (do they still do that) or online, if you do multiple re-installs in like a single day or something, maybe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Falcon2001 posted:

The part where it remembers where DisplayLink monitor contents are and puts them back is loving invaluable if you (like me) have a laptop you regularly connect and disconnect from docks or have a monitor you need to power cycle occasionally.

I wish that worked at all for me, two monitors and one can take d-port, doesn't matter how I configure the fuckin things or connect them, after they turn off for power saving it shoves all my windows onto monitor 1 even with "remember where they were" set. Also sometimes the minimize animation goes to the wrong monitor and while not actually a problem it does annoy the hell out of me.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zotix posted:

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

it sucks compared to Everything (both in speed and actually finding poo poo), but it's not overly slow for me.

idk if this is what you meant, but for me this setting permanently turned off web searching

under