Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nice snipe

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I thought we didn't have a diplomatic relationship with the taliban. Is there an Afghan government in exile?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blackhawk crash in Alabama

https://abcnews.go.com/US/survivors-after-black-hawk-helicopter-crashes-alabama-highway/story?id=97237264

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we need to girl boss the taliban

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Flikken posted:

I thought we didn't have a diplomatic relationship with the taliban. Is there an Afghan government in exile?

I don’t think former president Ghani is spending his days in a UAE villa to organize a team of Jagged Alliance 2 mercenaries to retake the country.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Not sure if that story has it, but there’s a video from someone’s doorbell and it just straight up falls out of the sky.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fknlo posted:

Not sure if that story has it, but there’s a video from someone’s doorbell and it just straight up falls out of the sky.

Typical helicopter behavior then.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

orange juche posted:

Typical helicopter behavior then.

Heli mating season happening earlier each year. After mating the males will make a crater of a nest for the female. Watch for little birds in a few months.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Time for a bunch of armchair generals to post screeds about how the Blackhawk is inherently dangerous and that the US military should execute people for approving its use, like they do with the Osprey.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah nazi twitter going bananas blaming the pilot for all their "woke training" and poo poo. Just the most embarrassing poo poo constantly

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah nazi twitter going bananas blaming the pilot for all their "woke training" and poo poo. Just the most embarrassing poo poo constantly

i know nothing these idiots say makes sense, but also: what? the gently caress????? are they saying that the pilot was too gay to keep the craft airborne or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“This wouldn’t have happened to a whitehawk.”

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lets tune in to Nazi Twitter to get some hot takes:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Too bad we don't live in a reality where helicopters thirst solely for CHUD blood.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

You repeated yourself there

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Grip it and rip it posted:

Has anyone called it a *nword*bird yet? Please @ me if it comes up. If the racist whites can’t do it, look to an Indian to step up. In the infamous Twitter thread “I know it smell crazy in there” the nation of India 🇮🇳 united against black twitter to say the wildest racisms I have ever witnessed. There were references to black folks ancestors being sold for “dabloons” being made. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think they’re even fans of Mein Kampf out there. Yeah man, ask an Indian bro. They’ll step up if the tiki torchers won’t.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well you see if they spent their training time on flying instead of trans acceptance they’d be better pilots and the mechanics would be better engine maintenance types.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This isn’t the thread to speculate about what racist Twitter is saying about current events, if it’s part of current events go ahead and post it but please don’t role play neo Nazis.

Thank you.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

“This wouldn’t have happened to a whitehawk.”

“Let’s have more ‘UH-60 Black Hawk’ and less woke ‘Black Hawk Down My Throat!’”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The angst in anticipation of racism is extremely weird.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

Mlyp

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Turn your screen on

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Look we're going to do racist roleplay of racist Modi guys and the mods are gonna love it!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y’all know better than this. Current events please. Thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/politics/read-fulton-county-grand-jury-report-trump/index.html

Fulton County grand jury report partially released. The only real info in there is they think several witnesses perjured themselves and have recommended the prosecutors seek indictments for those.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fulton County grand jury report partially released. The only real info in there is they think several witnesses perjured themselves and have recommended the prosecutors seek indictments for those.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1626267322284474368?t=tB4UFCyBE6BcN3PaL94bhA&s=19

Not sure who would be dumb enough to lie under oath to a county/state run grand jury where the prosecutor is a newly-elected Democrat. But these are Donnie's folks, so who knows?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1626267322284474368?t=tB4UFCyBE6BcN3PaL94bhA&s=19

Not sure who would be dumb enough to lie under oath to a county/state run grand jury where the prosecutor is a newly-elected Democrat. But these are Donnie's folks, so who knows?

Graham is a completely spineless shapeshifter with no principles but he's not a fool

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mustang posted:

The brigades near the Canadian border also have Canadian exchange officers working on their staffs that essentially do the same kind of work as any American captain on a staff would do.

Canada gets some percentage of AWACS crew positions, too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

shame on an IGA posted:

Graham is a completely spineless shapeshifter with no principles but he's not a fool

I would not be shocked that he listened to his lawyer and answered with a bunch of weasel words or "I don't recalls".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Flikken posted:

A chargé d'affaires is what you have when there is a dispute or disagreement between two countries that precludes setting up an ambassador level position.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
NHTSA: hey Tesla, update your poo poo

https://twitter.com/john__rosevear/status/1626280577958653958?t=1OTz4lD1FfN9tHucbVRzkA&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
not to derail the thread, but wait, poo poo, it is a derail

quote:

Michigan

Train derails in Van Buren Township

Train derailment in Michigan
By: WXYZ StaffPosted at 11:04 AM, Feb 16, 2023 and last updated 10:15 AM, Feb 16, 2023
DETROIT, Mich. — A train carrying hazardous materials derailed in Michigan Thursday morning.

At least six cars were off the tracks in Van Buren Township, which is about 30 miles southwest of Detroit.

Officials say only one of the train cars was carrying hazardous materials, and it's reportedly showing no sign of leaking or damage.

The local fire department says the derailment does not currently pose a danger to the public.

This is just the latest train derailment to fuel anxiety across the country. People in East Palestine, Ohio, say animals are dying and people are getting sick after a train derailment led to a chemical spill.

The chief of the Environmental Protection Agency is scheduled to visit with residents of East Palestine on Thursday to address their concerns.

On Feb. 10 the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency released information on water quality sampling for surface water and said it showed "very low levels of two contaminants, butyl acylate and ethyl hexyl acrylate" in an area called Leslie Run, and said it would dissipate quickly.

Portions of this story were originally reported on wxyz.com.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
file your flight plans, you loving dorks

https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1626292298513362944?t=bcy1dOW8bBQHn0q6JhyY_g&s=19

quote:

The club—the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade (NIBBB)—is not pointing fingers yet. 

But the circumstantial evidence is at least intriguing. The club’s silver-coated, party-style, “pico balloon” reported its last position on Feb. 10 at 38,910 ft. off the west coast of Alaska, and a popular forecasting tool—the HYSPLIT model provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)—projected the cylindrically shaped object would be floating high over the central part of the Yukon Territory on Feb. 11. That is the same day a Lockheed Martin F-22 shot down an unidentified object of a similar description and altitude in the same general area.

There are suspicions among other prominent members of the small, pico-ballooning enthusiasts’ community, which combines ham radio and high-altitude ballooning into a single, relatively affordable hobby.

“I tried contacting our military and the FBI—and just got the runaround—to try to enlighten them on what a lot of these things probably are. And they’re going to look not too intelligent to be shooting them down,” says Ron Meadows, the founder of Scientific Balloon Solutions (SBS), a Silicon Valley company that makes purpose-built pico balloons for hobbyists, educators and scientists.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

Y’all know better than this. Current events please. Thank you.

Can I get a sixer to stand in solidarity with the aforementioned please? I’m too lazy to actually violate the guidance you provided. Thank you.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Senator John Fetterman has checked into Walter Reed Hospital for Clinical Depression.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/16/1157570381/john-fetterman-treatment-clinical-depression-health-pennsylvania-senator

Good on him for getting help.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mappo posted:

Senator John Fetterman has checked into Walter Reed Hospital for Clinical Depression.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/16/1157570381/john-fetterman-treatment-clinical-depression-health-pennsylvania-senator

Good on him for getting help.

This is what a tough guy really looks like

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Seriously.

And this poo poo is gonna put me on a hair trigger if I run into any friends or family that start dropping hot takes about it.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, this seems like a bad idea for a hobby? This community is using a set of calculations to figure out how much helium to put in a standard mylar party balloon, but those envelopes can't handle more than 30k feet altitude. There are some low-cost (tens of dollars) envelopes that can handle higher, as well, but still 40k feet or thereabouts. So you have a community of people who looked at the FAA regs and saw the rules only apply to things weighing more than 6lbs and decided, "We're fine! Launch 'em if you got 'em!" right into the airspace used for commercial aviation.