Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

Not that I've read lookism but a Netflix anime of it just got released

Really? That kinda came out of nowhere.

Lookism is good in parts but the story just has kind of wandered all over the place. It's real good when its funny, but it suffers from what I guess is a lack of an editor to try to pull the story along in a consistent direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It feels like Viral Hit certainly could have ended the first time they took down Jinho Lee but it's not so bad because we're getting a lot more Gyeoul. She's a delightful psycho goblin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Solo leveling is getting a sequel/spin off I guess partly to tie in with the fact it has an anime out soon

https://manga4life.com/read-online/Solo-Leveling-chapter-180.html

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, this is an adaptation of some brief epilogue chapters. they don't really go anywhere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey, uh, what's going with Webtoons? I'm trying to pick up God of High School from where I left off (they were about to start the final battle (no for real this time tho) and all the chapters are gone? There is at least one other series where the same thing is happening, it says completed but the chapters are nowhere near the end.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Sometimes they stuff completed series into only being readable on the mobile app.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
gently caress THAT

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has anyone had any trouble loading WEBTOON from their mobile app? All I’ve gotten is the green title screen with the logo everytime I tried to open it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TV Zombie posted:

Has anyone had any trouble loading WEBTOON from their mobile app? All I’ve gotten is the green title screen with the logo everytime I tried to open it.

I use a separate reader app that scrapes from there and other sites and all the ones from WEBTOON were down yesterday for some reason.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it tries to lock people into using the app so it can bombard you with READ THIS, BUY THIS MANY FAST PASS ON IT AND GET A COIN REBATE popups on launch with a "don't show again" box that doesn't do anything

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That is absolute trash. I haven't read any manhwa in a while since I've been waiting for my favorites to build up a sizable backlog, and now knowing that I might get locked out of reading them altogether makes me just not want to read anything from Webtoons. No I refuse to use a mobile app, I just don't like reading comics that way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kubera: Looks like Asha's back again. gently caress off, Asha, you suck.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Academy's Undercover Professor is getting good.

They're starting a daring magitech heist arc and it's hitting all the silly fun tropes. Given the arcanepunk setting it's gonna be so much fun to watch.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Academy's Professor's thing of him using alias of famous names like lupin or hellsing is sooo eyerollingly dumb when its trying to pretend that its cool.

i read a bit of I Level Up Alone (not to be confused with Alone, i level up)
standard korean dungeon gate webtoon with an mc with a side relative.
premise is as usual cold be interesting but the MC is the most bland blob ever. He has no personality other than I need to make money for surgery money

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite aspect of generic korean gate stories is the economy. it's such a ridiculously positive view of capitalism. fight monsters to get rich instantly!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I finally sat down to finish reading Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell.

It's hands down top 5 funniest webcomics I have ever read. It's incredible from start to finish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

It's hands down top 5 funniest webcomics I have ever read. It's incredible from start to finish.

I need to go back and finish. It was hilarious af for a good while then had a big tonal shift after a midpoint climax in the story. It was still good after that but kinda had a slow bit so I was waiting to binge through that after it got further along.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite aspect of generic korean gate stories is the economy. it's such a ridiculously positive view of capitalism. fight monsters to get rich instantly!

I’m waiting for a dungeon gate story where the top 0.02% of hunters are wealthy celebrities and everyone else eats poo poo.

I just think the setup lends itself well to a critique of capitalism, where clearing C-tier dungeons is essential, but also basically worthless. The closest thing to this is the Clever Cleaning Life of The Returned Genius Hunter (or some title like that) but hunters themselves are still valued in that, it just adds in a new poo poo job for people to get exploited in so it’s still pretty different.

Also, when the hell is Doom Breaker going to update? Really hoping there isn’t a third hiatus notice in a row.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

Yeah it was really good, I hope the author gets another good series rolling

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Elite posted:

I’m waiting for a dungeon gate story where the top 0.02% of hunters are wealthy celebrities and everyone else eats poo poo.

The S-Classes that I raised is sort of there.

The S-Rank hunters (0.02%) are supremely wealthy and the low ranks are often suckered into lovely loans and contracts that are pure, 100% exploitation by loan-shark types. Granted it's mostly the bottom ranks that eat poo poo and mid-tiers don't get screwed over quite as much, but it definitely shows a black side to the usual "If you're a hunter you get ALL OF THE MONEYS".

S-Classes that I Raised is probably my favorite of the dungeon gate series because the MC is weak as poo poo but literally has to corral all these problematic superhuman types with hosed up personalities.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that one goes really weird places. the mc is constantly using mild perception alteration on everyone while also demonstrating how he is both valuable and helplessly weak. oh, and he's also very manipulative in general. it eventually becomes a turbulent, mostly non-romantic soap opera centered on the mc where everyone is sort of confused.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that one goes really weird places. the mc is constantly using mild perception alteration on everyone while also demonstrating how he is both valuable and helplessly weak. oh, and he's also very manipulative in general. it eventually becomes a turbulent, mostly non-romantic soap opera centered on the mc where everyone is sort of confused.

He's not THAT bad. When he realizes his skill is tantamount to brainwashing he decides to try to focus on beasts and monsters instead of people. Also Even when he did raise up Myungwoo with the goal of living an easy life off of the SS-class blacksmithing skill, he couldn't go through with it in the end and just wanted to let his newfound buddy live a happy and successful life.. I wonder if he himself is somewhat affected by his own skill where he feels the desire and need to nurture others as a result.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah there are a couple like that but they've generally been regressor types where the MC wants to prevent the cruel/evil heroes from being shitheads, I think S-Classes That I Raised is the only one i've seen where it doesn't end up like that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not deliberate, certainly. the mc caused a bunch of minor changes using lies, empowerment and mind alteration, all done with the best of intentions. however, the result was still a violent telenovela with gates and hunters.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm in the middle of this right now and it's so good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I read the live recently and it's a fairly generic ported to a game world series but I like the fact the characters actually talk about their problems rather than things blowing up as a result

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In the new chapter of Everyone Else is a Returner the main character doesn't want to expose his identity so instead of using his cell he uses a pay/public phone.

Does Korea still have pay phones? What the hell I want some pay phones.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

i saw asura dropped second coming of gluttony, i have no idea if that got dropped by them because they don't want to or if it didn't get a season 3

i mean i read the webnovel but i kinda wanted to see it this way

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

was not a fan of the webcomic version of Gluttony

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Elite posted:

I just think the setup lends itself well to a critique of capitalism, where clearing C-tier dungeons is essential, but also basically worthless. The closest thing to this is the Clever Cleaning Life of The Returned Genius Hunter (or some title like that) but hunters themselves are still valued in that, it just adds in a new poo poo job for people to get exploited in so it’s still pretty different.

Also, when the hell is Doom Breaker going to update? Really hoping there isn’t a third hiatus notice in a row.

good news

https://www.asurascans.com/reincarnation-of-the-suicidal-battle-god-chapter-61/

its a bit funky on phones due to the huge amount of ads

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

anyone else have a really hard time reading korean names? Even mentally reading it, I cannot pronounce it at all in my head.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

good news

https://www.asurascans.com/reincarnation-of-the-suicidal-battle-god-chapter-61/

its a bit funky on phones due to the huge amount of ads

Nice, there’s a few chapters even.

Doom Breaker gives off the impression that things are plotted out in a fair bit in advance, so hopefully it’ll keep a good schedule for the current arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
infinite leveling: murim has the exact same parts as dozens of other comics but put together well and in a slightly different way. it's got the standard regression and inexplicable rpg systems, but it isn't reincarnation and is set in a vaguely historic version of korea. so the mc gets a full on rpg stat system after regressing but he has no clue what any of that poo poo is because he's a medieval warrior. there is no further explanation or guide. so now that he has rpg stats, effort (i.e., endless grinding/training) directly results in improvement. thus with fairly limited future knowledge (because he was a lowly scrub) and a rpg system he doesn't understand, he's undertaking a grand reform of martial arts society from the bottom up. also, since he can learn passive skills for various weapons to get bonuses while holding them, he starts with dual wielding a sword and axe then gets increasingly weird and badass from there.

season 2 recently started and it's still great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The S Classes that I Raised is p funny glad y’all mentioned it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i need to catch up on that one

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting I've finally given up on waiting for the third season of "2nd coming of Gluttony" and I was going to read the novel.

Where's a good site to read it that doesn't do the stupid "You must spend coins to unlock this chapter" thing?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

khy posted:

So after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting I've finally given up on waiting for the third season of "2nd coming of Gluttony" and I was going to read the novel.

Where's a good site to read it that doesn't do the stupid "You must spend coins to unlock this chapter" thing?

the whole thing is either free on amazon kindle unlimited if you have that/free trial otherwise it's 4.99 for each book (there are 10 books, 9 story 1 of side stories)

https://www.amazon.com/The-Second-Coming-of-Gluttony-8-book-series/dp/B09245TC6N

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Murim Login is p drat funny. Worth a look.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm finding how to live as a villain reasonably funny too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Found out True Beauty is a terrible localization/name for the series.
No wonder I was totally confused by the progression of events. Actual title is like “Advent of the Goddess” or “Beauty of Angel”

Kept expecting a series where she accepts how she looks ect.
But it’s a standard Korean romance soap opera with her and a bunch of similar hot looking oppas. (With makeup as a strong interest and focus in the beginning) Nothing wrong with that, but just got mislead by the English title