Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

It focuses on the only “who gives a poo poo” part of her kit: the fact that Shine works like a torch

And on a thief, no less. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alear and Tiki are made for each other because with her ring you finally get to turn into a dragon.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Finished Engage. The game ruled. Saturday Morning Fire Emblem is good. Here is a somewhat lengthy list of... points of interest I guess? I was going to say a list of gripes but they're not all negative.

1. Do not like the ring ghosts, do not care about the ring ghosts, do not want to see anything akin to the ring ghosts in future games. If you're going to nostalgia pander, go the whole way and do an actual (non-phone) crossover game where the whole point is that these old characters from different worlds are meeting each other. The ring ghosts are weak as gently caress. Gacha rings also suck poo poo why are they so loving expensive to combine jesus christ. gently caress the rings.

2. Skill Emblem is just kind of exhausting to play. This never got nearly as frustrating or headache-inducing in Engage as it did in Fates, but after about the 2/3 mark I really started to feel the weight of all these stupid icons I can't keep track of, and quite frankly ignoring a lot of them. Most of this is because of rings stacking 4+ abilities onto everybody, but it gets out of hand at a point, imo. Again, nowhere near Fates' level, but please dial it back.

3. Everyone calling you "Divine One" or "Divine Dragon" is weird. It never gets not weird. I wish they went further with Alear's "why can't you guys please just be normal" energy, because the rare moments it comes out are pretty good. But most of the time it just feels kind of culty.

4. CLOTHES OPTIONS ARE TRASH. WHY ARE THE COSMETICS IN THIS GAME SO rear end BAD. WHAT A PLANET SIZED L

5. Barring some people I never wound up using in this playthrough (Zelkov, Lapis, Amber, Jade, Pandreo, Bunet, etc.) and therefore wouldn't know either way on, I would say I disliked very few of the characters, personality-wise. But I also don't love the starting crew. The Lythos+Firene units, in my opinion, make up the bulk of the weakest members of the cast, and the game kind of does itself a disservice showing all of them to you first. Granted there are probably plenty of supports that flesh them out that I never saw because I dropped them all, but based on my experience I think the first "great" character in the game is Yunaka, and after that it's a pretty excellent lineup of idiots until the end.

6. I largely don't mind the Somniel, especially in comparison to Garreg Mach or the weird mind castle from Fates, but there are a number of small issues with it. Having important functions locked behind loading screens because they're in another room (Changing time of day in the bedroom, fighting in the arena, managing ring stuff in the ring chamber) is annoying. The weird petting zoo area where it becomes immediately clear that you just need to have 5 dogs out at all times, the broken trial tower for the first couple weeks, the kind of worthless minigames, all just exist to add time to your clock and make you feel like there's more to the game than there actually is. If they're dead set on keeping this home base feature in Fire Emblem like they appear to be, then at least they've been getting better every time, but I'm still not the biggest fan.

7. The transparency with which the secondary Royals disappear from the story after their country's "arc" is a little irritating. Celine, Alcryst, Fogado, and Hortensia basically stop existing after a few chapters, and while I don't necessarily need all of them to be weighing in with every cutscene, and I realize there's probably only so many times IntSys probably wants to do the "Agh, I must retire from combat!" thing per game, but there were a number of situations where it kind of took me out of things. The series has never properly been able to come to terms with permadeath as a game mechanic vs how it might affect the larger plot, which leads to, as mentioned, the "I must retire" characters who will still be in cutscenes as though nothing happened, or characters you'd think should have story relevance just not factoring in again after they join, or in Engage's case, a couple chapters after that.

8. Speaking of Royals, I know at least some people took issue with the re-use of the "Eight Royals with two retainers each" formula from Fates, though I felt the execution of them being pairs from four different countries (as well as just being way better characters in general, and none of them being related to Alear) helped me not really notice or care too much.

9. Deployment limits in this game are brutal, especially with how quickly the game throws units at you. There were a number of people I wanted to keep in my army who just ended up getting benched for new people. The only pre-Brodia unit I used for the entire game was Framme. It's definitely a good incentive for varying up future playthroughs but capping you at 8-10 for so much of the game was painful.

10. People seem split on whether they like the plot or not. Personally I was fine with it. It's Saturday Morning Fire Emblem and it never *really* tries to be anything more than that. I guess my only issue is with the absurdly overwrought death scenes Lumera gets. Like holy poo poo she dies twice and both times I was like wrap it up lady. I could've excused the second one if the first hadn't already lasted like 6 minutes. A lot of the poo poo in the last 3 or 4 chapters was so dumb, I loved it. Totally cheesy cartoon adventure nonsense, and it rules.

11. Should've let Alear stay as a corrupted for the rest of the game, would've been way cooler imo

12. oh I guess I should mention more gameplay stuff I liked: holy poo poo they remembered how to design interesting fire emblem levels again! Thank loving god! And they didn't even need to plaster them with obnoxious timewasting gimmicks to achieve that. Crazy.

anyway like I said the game is great, despite the above being like 70% just a list of problems I had. I may decide in a couple of years I was an idiot for saying this but this is the best one since Path of Radiance. I loved Awakening and Fates when they first came out but over the years my opinion on both of them started to aggressively sour, to the point where I can't stand them or what they're going for anymore. I'd like to think that because my taste in "what I like about FE" has changed since then means I'm not just doing the exact same thing here, and that I will still like Engage in 5 years. But as of now... it's an easy top 5 (which currently roughly consists of 4 > 5 > 8 > Engage > 9), and is threatening to break into the top 3. But I definitely can't commit to that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

It focuses on the only “who gives a poo poo” part of her kit: the fact that Shine works like a torch

Micaiah does get a "I'll show you how to use staves" quip in that chapter.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Micaiah’s Cleric+ and Cleric++ passives are interesting even if they don’t come into play until late in the game. I was looking at what to reclass Pandreo into and I would have gone Griffin Knight + Levin Sword, but I ended up going Sage because I wanted A in Staves. But if you’re able to overcome that with a Sync skill…

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really like Cleric in theory, but I never got to use it in practice, because Hortensia gets two insanely good staff skills that go really well with Micaiah's engage bonus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Engages are so incredibly sick as a mechanic that I'm pretty sad we'll probably never see them again. I don't even want or need them to be THE GHOSTS OF HEROES FROM PREVIOUS GAMES specifically, I just absolutely love how much depth they add to the tactical layer and most importantly how modular they are and I'll be sad to see them go.

Actually, boom, make it so instead of S rank weapons you're just given legendary weapons that work exactly like engages except you don't need to write dialogue for them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 16, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kanos posted:

Engages are so incredibly sick as a mechanic that I'm pretty sad we'll probably never see them again. I don't even want or need them to be THE GHOSTS OF HEROES FROM PREVIOUS GAMES specifically, I just absolutely love how much depth they add to the tactical layer and most importantly how modular they are and I'll be sad to see them go.

Actually, boom, make it so instead of S rank weapons you're just given legendary weapons that work exactly like engages except you don't need to write dialogue for them.

I mean Fire Emblem is a series that’s constantly changing but it’s not afraid to revisit past ideas or mechanics. I don’t know the general opinion of this game outside of here really but I’m pretty sure engaging is pretty popular as a mechanic.

A common backstory in the games are some older set of heroes or crusaders, and you could easily find some way to imbue yourself with the spirit of a sword hero or an axe chick or whatever. The game where this would most easily be able to come about in, a Genealogy of the Holy War remake, is probably the one game I wouldn’t want to see it though. I think it’s the only game where legendary weapons actually feel like continent shaping blessings from the gods, and if you could just give, say, Noish the essence of Ced and have him go apeshit the experience wouldn’t be as good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I’m guessing we’re not gonna ever have stand ghosts of the previous Fire Emblem games as a mechanic, but that it’s far from out of the question to have a mechanic that mimics the effects of Engages, given that those themselves are a combination of battalions and the potential customization options specific pairings of kids gave only with instant gratification instead of waiting half the game to realize Vantage/Wrath kinda sucks without a good relevant attacking stat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tine was my (non-Forseti) MVP and her entirely middling stat spread did not prevent her from zapping down entire armies on the enemy phase.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5DxgLx46g

If anyone isn't convinced yet that Goldmary is the best(worst).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kanos posted:

Imo they could do battalions with these mechanics. Have a limited amount of them so you don’t get swarmed like in 3 houses, give them unique skills and a “gambit” the way you can engage with an emblem in this, and you’re set for a thematically appropriate mechanic even in a more grounded or serious setting.

Hell, you could even give certain party members bond conversations with each battalion by giving each battalion a captain or sergeant who acts as their face.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have no problem with the characters or plot, they're just mostly just aggressively mid to me.

It's competent. Almost to a fault. It's a game that's just completely absent any ambition and I'm fine with that but I can't muster the enthusiasm for these guys that I can for my favourite games.

Even Yunaka, who is a good character and brilliantly acted, is probably going to get less mileage than Claude or Severa for me.

I'm hoping the Fell Xenologue will try something that's less cookie cutter.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I have no problem with the characters or plot, they're just mostly just aggressively mid to me.

It's competent. Almost to a fault. It's a game that's just completely absent any ambition and I'm fine with that but I can't muster the enthusiasm for these guys that I can for my favourite games.

Even Yunaka, who is a good character and brilliantly acted, is probably going to get less mileage than Claude or Severa for me.

I'm hoping the Fell Xenologue will try something that's less cookie cutter.

FrickenMoron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5DxgLx46g

If anyone isn't convinced yet that Goldmary is the best(worst).

Absolutely beelining for her in the run I'm starting this weekend. My only problem was I want to use the JP track but I love her EN delivery so much. Decisions, decisions...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can’t remember another Fire Emblem character who has made me laugh as much as Goldmary, she’s incredible

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

Absolutely beelining for her in the run I'm starting this weekend. My only problem was I want to use the JP track but I love her EN delivery so much. Decisions, decisions...

Imho play with JP and just binge the supports in the archive after turning the dub back on.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I can’t remember another Fire Emblem character who has made me laugh as much as Goldmary, she’s incredible

I haven’t bought the DLC nor played the radiance games but the Soren clips make me think he’s going to be up there too. FE is awesome!

Last Celebration posted:

Imho play with JP and just binge the supports in the archive after turning the dub back on.

Sounds good :cheersdoge:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Engage is really just one big sitcom and you need a Soren in any sitcom

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently Goldmarys characterization changed quite a bit, at least people claim. In JP she's obsessed with her curvy figure? Wonder if anyone can confirm.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Genuinely need more female characters that just think they're hot poo poo

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Apparently Goldmarys characterization changed quite a bit, at least people claim. In JP she's obsessed with her curvy figure? Wonder if anyone can confirm.
thats not really the case no. shes still basically the same character, just a couple of her lines in jp are her bragging about her figure on tops of the other things she brags about. like a couple of the lines where she calls herself cute/beautiful are her saying 'i have huge tits tho'. like not even every line where she does that, just a few, she still calls herself 'cute' in say, her hortensia support instead of talking about her figure, even though the context of the conversation is guys hitting on goldmary and you think it'd be a really obvious chance for that kinda joke.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Goldmary: never wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pungry posted:

There was a period of time when people didn't like Engage's cast? :psyduck:

there are people who are still screaming about the character designs being 'AI GENERATED GENSHIN BULLSHIT' and i can get not liking the design direction but the internet sure has done a number on people's brains.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Genshin being a popular game broke a lot of people's brains

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanos posted:

Roughly comparative resource investments:

Liberation +5 is 12 mt, 115(!) hit, and 5 crit for 5 wt for a total of 250 iron, 10 steel, and 3 silver. If you skip the final upgrade, you lose 1 mt, 5 hit, and 5 crit but save 70 iron, 4 steel, and 1 silver.

Steel Sword +4 is 13 mt, 95 hit, and 10 crit for 7 wt for a total of 260 iron, 10 steel, and 2 silver.

Silver Sword +2 is 14 mt, 95 hit, and 0 crit for 11 wt for a total of 150 iron, 15 steel, and 2 silver.

Killing Edge +4 is 13 mt, 75 hit, and 45 crit for 10 wt for a total of 150 iron, 15 steel, and 2 silver. This one's a little deceptive because the game doesn't give you the ability to straight up buy a killing edge for a little while, so if you want one early you need to tack on the cost of upgrading a steel to it.

The difference in weapon power for the same investment is not big even if you completely ignore Liberation's passive. Liberation's accuracy is also a huge boon on maddening.

You kind of made my point for me. The killing edge is a hilariously better weapon than anything else there with its 45% chance of tripling your damage. And that is waaaay more valuable against Maddening's meatball enemies while also acting as a force multiplier on any damage boosting skills like roys. Alwar still hit stuff fine with the killing edge, but her special sword would have been statistically incapable of killing enemies the killing edge one rounds and often one shot, preventing counter damage.

And all of this analysis is ignoring enscription, where the killing edge can get boosted in crit to the point that it gets far enough down the true hit curve to get very consistent.

Now sure, as Pureauthor said, I can put that gear on a bunch of other people and they would do better. But the differences between characters
are so comically dwarfed by what weapons and engages you have on them that those differences become trivial. And Alear is force deployed every chapter, there's no reason not to invest in them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

thats not really the case no. shes still basically the same character, just a couple of her lines in jp are her bragging about her figure on tops of the other things she brags about. like a couple of the lines where she calls herself cute/beautiful are her saying 'i have huge tits tho'. like not even every line where she does that, just a few, she still calls herself 'cute' in say, her hortensia support instead of talking about her figure, even though the context of the conversation is guys hitting on goldmary and you think it'd be a really obvious chance for that kinda joke.
for further clarity on this, going through goldmary's supports the only huge change to any of them is her etie support, specifically the b support. in english its an argument about goldmary's hobbies/things she practices being good at, where etie thinks they don't have any value to the army.

quote:

Etie: We're at war! Silverware doesn't keep you alive in battle. Muscle does.
Goldmary: I'm sorry, what?
Etie: Do you think your perfectly folded clothes are going to help you put a dent in the Corrupted?
Goldmary: Excuse me, what? What?
Etie: Quit it with the "whats"!
Goldmary: Are you actually implying that I'm not in condition to survive a battle?
Goldmary: If that's what you think, I'm going to have to ask you to get out of my face.
Etie: What did you say?!
Goldmary: You are looking at the very picture of elegance and grace. My condition defines pristine.
Goldmary: I'm sorry if all your pointless sweating has drained away your aesthetic taste.

in jp its entirely an argument about looks, rather than goldmary looping it back around to looks at the end

quote:

Etie: I hear you're always spending all your money on makeup. What use is that?
Goldmary: Excuse me, what?
Etie: if you want to be popular, you should work on your body instead.
Goldmary: Excuse me, what? What!?
Etie: That's right. Muscular beauties are what's popular right now.
Goldmary: Ehhh?
Etie: Eh, what, is that all you know how to say?
Goldmary: You're... what's popular right now? Did you just say that?
Goldmary: Well... I'm really very sorry, but could you go crawl off to a corner and never speak again?
Etie: Eh? What?
Goldmary: What's popular... that's right, what people want is someone like me.
Goldmary: Haaa... I'm truly sorry I'm so perfect. I'm so incredibly sorry that I'm so popular...

As you can see it's basically the same argument at the end of the day and Goldmary has the same shtick. And their A support after is basically the same, with them feeling each other's hands and coming to appreciate how hard the other works for their whole aesthetic, minus a joke about a diet that'll improve Etie's figure in the JP.

And plenty of other supports, like Rosado/Goldmary, reference Goldmary being a good hand at things like sewing and cooking even in the JP. So again, she's entirely the same character, the idea that her only shtick was her figure in JP is a weird one. They just removed a couple references to it, she still has 90% the same deal.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

You kind of made my point for me. The killing edge is a hilariously better weapon than anything else there with its 45% chance of tripling your damage. And that is waaaay more valuable against Maddening's meatball enemies while also acting as a force multiplier on any damage boosting skills like roys. Alwar still hit stuff fine with the killing edge, but her special sword would have been statistically incapable of killing enemies the killing edge one rounds and often one shot, preventing counter damage.

And all of this analysis is ignoring enscription, where the killing edge can get boosted in crit to the point that it gets far enough down the true hit curve to get very consistent.

Now sure, as Pureauthor said, I can put that gear on a bunch of other people and they would do better. But the differences between characters
are so comically dwarfed by what weapons and engages you have on them that those differences become trivial. And Alear is force deployed every chapter, there's no reason not to invest in them.

Does True Hit apply to crit chance?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Either it does, or I'm luckier than God with how often I landed ~80% crits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the one hand i get them changing that etie/goldmary support but on the other hand i do think that the slight bit of worldbuilding that firene and elusia have different standards of beauty is actually kind of interesting, even if its confined entirely to that support

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Endorph posted:

thats not really the case no. shes still basically the same character, just a couple of her lines in jp are her bragging about her figure on tops of the other things she brags about. like a couple of the lines where she calls herself cute/beautiful are her saying 'i have huge tits tho'.

Betting my life savings that this is the case in her Bond 20 convo with Camilla where they talk about their ‘elegance’ distracting enemies in battle lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the reason people usually give is that there are things Alear can do with their turns that nobody else can, while plenty of other characters can spend their turns on good combat. So while you can absolutely invest in making Alear's combat good, it's not the best return you could get for those resources because Alear could also spend their turns setting up Dragon Veins or rallying/Goddess Dancing.

Which is an argument I get, however, as an Awakening baby, I am accustomed to my main character being a combat god, and so I can't help but invest in Alear's combat anyway. Oh well!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just met Lindon:
This guy has big two-weeks from retirement vibes. But also lol at the FE "hey, wanna switch sides?" "Yes, because I am honorable" before just merc'ing the soldier next to him.

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW6k8_Wf-Rw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hector seems like he was built for Timerra. He patches up her Str and Bld so she can use heavier weapons and do more damage when Sandstorm doesn't activate, and also boosts her Def so that she can take a hit better and does even more damage when Sandstorm does activate. She seems to get great use out of Storm's Eye, too, since her Def will never quite reach "everyone *tink*s" level but can still get high enough in Storm's Eye mode that she can take a few hits. About all she could ask for is more Dex for more Sandstorm but she can get that elsewhere if need be.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Timerra is an awful gimmick unit and I will never use her again outside of my initial hard run. 6 bld and a 30% chance to actually do damage can gently caress right off imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Timerra is an awful gimmick unit and I will never use her again outside of my initial hard run. 6 bld and a 30% chance to actually do damage can gently caress right off imo.

Timerra seems like a really cool character but that build is just bizarre for a character who loves protein even more than Etie. I feel like a decent chunk of female units get shafted on build, but that might just be confirmation bias.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Timerra seems like a really cool character but that build is just bizarre for a character who loves protein even more than Etie. I feel like a decent chunk of female units get shafted on build, but that might just be confirmation bias.

Fixed. There's a handful of units that get build and the rest of your units that eat a speed penalty on every attack to do business.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I never used her at all but I do think if she has any chance of being truly good, Hector will help her get there. +4 Str, +5 Def, and +3 Bld are all a big step up for Timerra specifically and help her do the things she's designed to do.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Def is really the only stat you care about cause her str is so bad that nothing can fix that. Sandstorm is the only reliable way for her to do damage and it works entirely off def.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Endorph posted:

for further clarity on this, going through goldmary's supports the only huge change to any of them is her etie support, specifically the b support. in english its an argument about goldmary's hobbies/things she practices being good at, where etie thinks they don't have any value to the army.

in jp its entirely an argument about looks, rather than goldmary looping it back around to looks at the end

As you can see it's basically the same argument at the end of the day and Goldmary has the same shtick. And their A support after is basically the same, with them feeling each other's hands and coming to appreciate how hard the other works for their whole aesthetic, minus a joke about a diet that'll improve Etie's figure in the JP.

And plenty of other supports, like Rosado/Goldmary, reference Goldmary being a good hand at things like sewing and cooking even in the JP. So again, she's entirely the same character, the idea that her only shtick was her figure in JP is a weird one. They just removed a couple references to it, she still has 90% the same deal.

so since all of these supports have voice acting, if you're using EN text with JP voice acting then I imagine it would be very confusing if you actually understood Japanese