Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

... There's a morph ball jump button?
Only if you're using dual stick controls!

In any other style you have to flick the controller upwards like in trilogy (this also works on dual stick but why would you). And if you're using handheld or a controller without motion support, well gently caress you lol

Truly do not understand this decision. There's so many buttons free on the controller with the other styles but no, we have to be accurate to the originals i guess???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Which prime was it that had the reflections of samus's face on the inside of the visor? I thought it was 1 but i'm not seeing it on the remake and I can't tell if it's just because I'm playing at work in the lunch room full of bright light.
Prime 1 definitely had it.

iirc you could get the effect easier when you were underwater, especially when in dark areas and you blew something up nearby

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
All the Prime games had it. In 1+2 it's only visible briefly when a bright flash ignites close to the player. The lighting engine probably plays into it although it's not like they're using ray tracing to do it or anything, so it's possible that engine changes in Remaster make it more or less visible in equivalent places. In Corruption, you additionally could also always see Samus' face reflected when using the Scan Visor, because they really really really wanted you to notice how Samus' face was changing over the course of the game and this was an era when the done thing was very much not to trust the player to pick up on anything but the least subtle details.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Truly do not understand this decision. There's so many buttons free on the controller with the other styles but no, we have to be accurate to the originals i guess???
In all of the Prime games the jump button is also used for morph ball boost. So when redoing the controls for dual-stick they have to put one of morph ball boost or jump on a different button, and the arrangement they went with maintains the most consistency with past titles. I'd also argue that boost is the more important of the two.

Edit: Oh, your complaint is that they don't expose morph ball jump as a button with the original controls. Fair complaint.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 16, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

Original Prime did not have spring ball IIRC but they added it to Trilogy. Just press X in the remaster! You get it when you get the bombs.

Wow, did not know this! It probably makes getting the Magmoor Caverns energy tank much easier. Although you should still get it legit just as a rite of passage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

All the Prime games had it. In 1+2 it's only visible briefly when a bright flash ignites close to the player. The lighting engine probably plays into it although it's not like they're using ray tracing to do it or anything, so it's possible that engine changes in Remaster make it more or less visible in equivalent places. In Corruption, you additionally could also always see Samus' face reflected when using the Scan Visor, because they really really really wanted you to notice how Samus' face was changing over the course of the game and this was an era when the done thing was very much not to trust the player to pick up on anything but the least subtle details.

I mean sure but I think the bigger reason they made it visible when scanning in corruption is to show off the higher-quality face with eyes that could track the Wii remote cursor

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If prime 4 is set after dread, they should have her face show more fury as the game goes on. She just gets more and more pissed.

Then a big fearsome boss monster shows up and roars, she rolls her eyes

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tender Bender posted:

Wow, did not know this! It probably makes getting the Magmoor Caverns energy tank much easier. Although you should still get it legit just as a rite of passage.

Maybe I’m just dumb but I can’t get “double” jumps to work with Springball at all. I think I just have the double bomb jumping burned into my mind.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If prime 4 is set after dread, they should have her face show more fury as the game goes on. She just gets more and more pissed.

The speed boost sound effect is now the clip of her screaming at the end of dread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only thing I care about Prime for is no more end of game fetch quests

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The way she acts when Kraid shows up in Dread, like "Oh, this jerk again."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Great Beer posted:

The speed boost sound effect is now the clip of her screaming at the end of dread.

Phazon Tower

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Waffle! posted:

"Time for my warmup"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Didn’t the Prime trilogy remove some visual effects from 1&2 because they were 2D images overlaid on your gun or whatever and so didn’t work with the gun now being a free moving 3D object instead of a static thing in the corner? I think the ice beam freezing over the arm when you charged it was one. Is remastered ported from the original or the wii trilogy?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Waffle! posted:

What I love about that is at first both the player and Samus hear something big coming, and Samus gets in her battle stance and readies her gun.
And then when she realizes it's Kraid, she's like "...oh. Wonder if this still works" *lazily fires a charged shot directly in Kraid's mouth*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

galagazombie posted:

Didn’t the Prime trilogy remove some visual effects from 1&2 because they were 2D images overlaid on your gun or whatever and so didn’t work with the gun now being a free moving 3D object instead of a static thing in the corner? I think the ice beam freezing over the arm when you charged it was one. Is remastered ported from the original or the wii trilogy?

it uses the trilogy version as a base I think but they completely redid those effects so now they work even when you’re using motion controls.
your shots leaving ripples on the surface of water was also a thing that was cut from Trilogy but is back in Remastered

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In exchange, they got rid of your gunfire dynamically lighting up the environment in the remake.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

HenryEx posted:

In exchange, they got rid of your gunfire dynamically lighting up the environment in the remake.

Given how many other dynamic light effects are still in, I suspect this may be to reduce the chance of flashing lights giving someone a seizure.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What I love about that is at first both the player and Samus hear something big coming, and Samus gets in her battle stance and readies her gun.
And then when she realizes it's Kraid, she's like "...oh. Wonder if this still works" *lazily fires a charged shot directly in Kraid's mouth*

That game is a masterclass in "silent protagonist doesn't mean no personality."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just found two scans in MP Remaster that referred to Samus as both the Hatchling and the Newborn, they’re just not Chozo lore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bruceski posted:

That game is a masterclass in "silent protagonist doesn't mean no personality."

What an interesting inversion of other m's lesson

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ikanreed posted:

What an interesting inversion of other m's lesson

Other M? Is that some kind of fan game? I don't recall it ever existing. :colbert:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Great Beer posted:

Other M? Is that some kind of fan game? I don't recall it ever existing. :colbert:

Grace Baiting posted:

that was a weird noncanon fanfic i.e. it never happened

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Moly B. Denum posted:

Given how many other dynamic light effects are still in, I suspect this may be to reduce the chance of flashing lights giving someone a seizure.

Given how slowly your beam shots travel, the light they emit hardly counts as "flashing"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just found two scans in MP Remaster that referred to Samus as both the Hatchling and the Newborn, they’re just not Chozo lore.

Hell yea, good find bobman. Are they generic orange scans like statues or whatever?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

Hell yea, good find bobman. Are they generic orange scans like statues or whatever?

They are in one of the hallways in the Chozo Ruins, they were orange scans. I took screenshots hang on.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1626737427103772672?s=46&t=_GvXkQvMpSJ6VZLJG8ouPw

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 18, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm glad they left the most important feature in the game.

The birds in the main hall in the cozo ruins loving explode when you shoot them.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 18, 2023

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Trying to pick up on some speedrun strats this go around with Remastered, but having a lot of trouble picking up on the bomb jump timings. Any advice for hitting them?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They are in one of the hallways in the Chozo Ruins, they were orange scans. I took screenshots hang on.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1626737427103772672?s=46&t=_GvXkQvMpSJ6VZLJG8ouPw

Nice! Thank you for keeping the lore of the Chozo alive

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bladeworksmaster posted:

Trying to pick up on some speedrun strats this go around with Remastered, but having a lot of trouble picking up on the bomb jump timings. Any advice for hitting them?

The background beat in Magmoor Caverns is a pretty good reference

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

The background beat in Magmoor Caverns is a pretty good reference

Yeah this, I’m p sure that’s how I learned to do it back in the day

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I learned to do it that way and it has been a faithful tool for two decades.

Of course now I've grown used to the Super Metroid timing and I can't get back into the Prime rhythm

e:
To clarify, count the 4-beat measures in the Magmoor theme
If you're not in Magmoor, sing it in your head.

Drop a bomb on beats 1, 3, 4.
Congrats on your bomb jump.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Can't get over how great the game looks. I'm having such a blast.

I put off Omega Pirate for so long that I forgot where I needed to go and tried to get there through the exit. Now to circle all the way back.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Shyfted One posted:

Can't get over how great the game looks. I'm having such a blast.

I put off Omega Pirate for so long that I forgot where I needed to go and tried to get there through the exit. Now to circle all the way back.

lol Omega Pirate wrecked my poo poo on my first attempt, but sailed on through with the second. I didn’t quite remember his patterns and ended up as a red splatter in a phazon pool, got it sorted for the second attempt though :)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
My kids are going to be so sad when I lose the purple suit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Killed the Elite pirate.

Then immediately went back the way I came to get the chozo artifact.

You aren't catching me with that bullshit again Retro.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Killed the Elite pirate.

I had nearly forgotten about them, but accidentally collected like half of them anyways because I had a vague memory of “you need to shoot/blow up this thing, idk why”.

The one you’re talking about wasn’t one of them :cry:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shyfted One posted:

My kids are going to be so sad when I lose the purple suit.

At least your kids let you play.

Mine just begs me to turn into a ball and watch me roll around. He laughs hysterically every time I do it. Then after a bit he either asks me to play dread instead, or asks me to return to the main hall so we could shoot some birds together.

At least he has good taste in video games.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Killed the Elite pirate.

Imagine how I felt; getting the Power Bomb upgrade in Phendrana's Edge, making it all the way back to the Mines, only to realize I forgot to get the loving Artifact there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

Killed the Elite pirate.

"I was just here, where did all these Metroids come from?"