Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone tried Coromon? Seems like a solid new take on a Pokemon-like but its hard to get the formula right. Monster Sanctuary missed the mark I thought.

I enjoyed what I played of it! It has a neat three-tier system where you get regular coromon, very rare 'shiny' coromon, and then there's a somewhat-rare tier between. And shininess affects stats. It has a built-in nuzlocke mode if you're into that, too. I like the creature designs. Overall, B+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

garfield hentai posted:

Grabbed this for 2 but already had 1. If anyone else wants the key it's C9Q58-HBZRN-6TC9K except I swapped the first and third quintets to avoid automated scrapers or whatever

Didn't mean to bury this at the foot of the previous page

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deakul posted:

Returnal looks really cool but I'm a baby when it comes to hard as balls games, mostly if it's structured at all like a Souls-like.

But I do love me some bullet hell and metroidvanias/roguelites/likes/whatevers just cause it's usually quick to restart and get back to where you were.

Y'all think I'd be able to dig it? If it's pretty much just Enter the Gungeon but third person or even like Risk of Rain 2 then I'll probably love it.

It's a very beatable game, especially if you're cautious, but one of the major knocks against it from an investment standpoint is that it tends to run on the long side. A successful clear will take you about 60-90min to beat for both acts. There's a suspend option but it's not generally a game that you can throw yourself back into immediately after dying and get back to where you last were in 15 minutes. You do get some mobility shortcuts later on, but being thorough in Returnal tends to be highly advantageous.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, definitely feels way more of a traditional rougelike than I was expecting. If you like RoR2 then you already know mostly what to expect here. The bullet hell feel is neat and the graphics/particle effects make for a very nice looking game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Returnal's difficulty is described as extreme or close to impossible, imo. If the game were a person, they would laugh as they kill puppies. The difficult just feels evil at times. Yet the game still manages to be really god drat good.

Returnal is hard but not bs impossible. I'm not particularly good at games (every gaming friend group I've ever been in, there have always been a couple of people better than me, at least) and I 100%'d the plot which requires at least fully beating the game twice. The game gets easier and easier the more you play it due to weapon level metaprogression, unlocks, getting used to enemies, and knowing which weapons/traits are good/bad.

For reference I think I took about 35 tries to beat Hades the first time, in hades.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh good Lord, Hardwar's on Steam. I hope it still works for multiplayer, but just the ability to play it hassle-free with cutscenes and music would be wonderful.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

THE BAR posted:

Oh good Lord, Hardwar's on Steam. I hope it still works for multiplayer, but just the ability to play it hassle-free with cutscenes and music would be wonderful.

loving Zero Wing had a port pop out of nowhere yesterday, of all things. The arcade version though, so it's an interesting novelty but not the version with the hilarious intro and actually banger soundtrack.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

This might be a completely unworkable comparison but how difficult is Returnal compared to Hades?

I hear "bullet hell" and I automatically assume I'm not going to be able to hack it. But I was able to beat Hades runs with heat levels in the low teens and I stuck with that game because I really enjoyed the world. Feels like that aspect would be the case here too.

edit:

redreader posted:

For reference I think I took about 35 tries to beat Hades the first time, in hades.

lol the Returnal to Hades exchange rate in action. I forget how many attempts it took me but it wasn't any more than that certainly. Maybe there'd be hope for me!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

loving Zero Wing had a port pop out of nowhere yesterday, of all things. The arcade version though, so it's an interesting novelty but not the version with the hilarious intro and actually banger soundtrack.

That'd be like releasing arcade Turtles in Time, and not the SNES version.

Okay, I mean, 4 players is nice, but you lose what made it truly magical, like the Shredder screen boss.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Roughly how long is Returnal? HLTB says 20 hours, which feels super-duper short, but I remember them historically listing weird completion times for roguelikes/lites.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

It's a very beatable game, especially if you're cautious, but one of the major knocks against it from an investment standpoint is that it tends to run on the long side. A successful clear will take you about 60-90min to beat for both acts. There's a suspend option but it's not generally a game that you can throw yourself back into immediately after dying and get back to where you last were in 15 minutes. You do get some mobility shortcuts later on, but being thorough in Returnal tends to be highly advantageous.

explosivo posted:

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, definitely feels way more of a traditional rougelike than I was expecting. If you like RoR2 then you already know mostly what to expect here. The bullet hell feel is neat and the graphics/particle effects make for a very nice looking game.

redreader posted:

Returnal is hard but not bs impossible. I'm not particularly good at games (every gaming friend group I've ever been in, there have always been a couple of people better than me, at least) and I 100%'d the plot which requires at least fully beating the game twice. The game gets easier and easier the more you play it due to weapon level metaprogression, unlocks, getting used to enemies, and knowing which weapons/traits are good/bad.

Alrighty then, good enough for me really.
Thanks fellas.

Time to get mad at video games!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The people re-releasing Zero Wing made a coy post on Steam about the meme possibly being in there. Be a shame if it was hidden under some extras instead of the intro though.

quote:

A cut scene is not in right now, that's correct, but keep an eye open...

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 15, 2023

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Itle D#w 1
YJWK#-GEMGG-9F6CQ

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
workers and resources got delisted on steam, apparently prompted by the devs who didn't want to deal with DMCA claims from a steam guide weirdo

v tragic

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
NextFest Post Script and Write Up

Boy am I tired! That was a lot of games to review and it felt like it really did take an entire festival to justify pausing the rest of what I was doing with my life to go over and play them all. Was a lot of fun though. Want to thank everyone for going along with the ride, even when I dragged it out a few days beyond the festival itself.

The Final Review Ranking is going to be based on my personal tastes. No matter how good I thought a game was generally, it's not going in my highest tier or two if I don't personally plan on immediately buying it either at launch or as soon as the first sale comes up. I'll also try to give out a closer describing my thoughts in retrospect.

BRAVE TIER - "The games in the arena"

So, a funny thing happened when I was reviewing my list where I found a lot of games that are probably not going to be as good as the demos suggest, but also happened to be some of my favorite games at NextFest. So this is a sort of honorary S+ Tier for those games that I personally loved above all else, but you've been warned.

Lightracer Spark - Despite everything else, still my favorite game of the lot. Did I scare people away from this one by calling it high concept Terra Invicta meets Disco Elysium? It's a lot less complicated than that! We only got the tutorial and part of the first planet, so this still has a lot of ways it could go wrong before the final release.
Atomic Picnic - The more I played throughout NextFest, the more I questioned whether this game deserves the review I gave it or I just latched onto the first thing that I enjoyed. I want to believe that its problems are easily fixable, but Atomic Picnic could just as easily never graduate to being a full, finished product or one that makes co-op basically mandatory.
HeistGeist - Yeah, I'm just as surprised at this one as you are, really. There's nothing original about it, but I just felt so cool pulling off the demo heist that I want to play more.
Roots of Yggdrasil - I absolutely adored this, but others seem to have found it middling at best. Kind of worried it might just atrophy away as the developers try to get out anything at all, but maybe it'll get some time to shine/publicity at the follow up Indie Cup?

wait are we seriously getting another one of these things literally right after the last festival ended

S TIER - "Sending its glad voice across a hundred demos"

Games that I loved and are also recommended without caveat.

Wandering Sword - I think this one got enough buzz to save it from being crushed under the heels of its more famous peer competitors and is a refreshing breath of air for a wuxia game.
Archmage Rises - Expected a procgen mess, got a fun Mount and Blade/dungeon-crawling experience. Releases in April.
DROP - I liked DROP, but was kind of surprised to see that it became something of a breakout game for a bunch of people in the thread. Well, you never know your audience.

A TIER - "I am often seized by the fatal Goon need to have a pretty good time"

Games that are very good but I have no personal desire to play, or games I liked but not as much as the BRAVEs and can't recommend as wholeheartedly as the S-Tiers.

Galaxy Highways - Very fun, but a little too much to keep track of on-screen at once for my tastes, although not really a bullet hell as such.
Valfaris: Mecha Therion - The shmup to Galaxy Highways' more arcade-y approach. More innovative relative to its particular genre.
MEATGRINDER - The most fun I had with a game I was downright terrible at. Releases sometime in Q2.
Tape to Tape - As a Blaseball fan, I'm obliged to put this game here, even if I personally didn't like it. Also, it's very well made and a lot of other people seemed to have be having fun.
SokoChess White - I found the demo very pleasant, but even for a puzzler it's a bit too flash in the pan to really be an S-Tier game. As it turns out, the version with pieces from both sides (SokoChess) already exists and is $4.99 on Steam if you want to try that out. Releases on March 3rd.
Wantless - This is the game I expected to pop off more than DROP as a hidden favorite, but maybe it just didn't deliver on its promise for turn based tactics fans? A little less enthusiastic on it myself now that I've had some time to sit and think. Still seems good though.
Zellige: The Tilemaker of Granada - This game was always going to be very near the bottom or very near the top of my list. Personal preference says top, but if you're not interested in its core concept, there is nothing on this good green earth that is going to convince you otherwise. Releases on February 17th.
Spiritfall - Hades: The 2D Platformer is still, nevertheless, a very fun game. Also it's pretty close to its release date so you can just grab it now if you're jonesing for something that fills the same niche. Releases on March 7th.
Gods of Savvarah - Not really sure how to rank a visual novel. The story seemed interesting? Probably overhyping this but you'd need to have the full game to judge and we're going to be waiting a while on that one. First part releases in April.
Dungeons of Aether - I don't think there's going to be time to fix the whole thing where you and your opponent clink against each other, but it's still a cool game. Releases on February 28th.
Phantom Brigade - Another one for the "concept's cool, didn't grip me personally" pile. Might give it another shot if it's on sale. Releases on February 28th.
Affogato - Demo's still up, so if you're interested you should play it, also because there's a demo-exclusive background for the shop in the main game.
Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - Queen of the Metroidvanias on offer from the Fest.
Afterimage - Jack of Metroidvanias, in that it's still good but slightly eclipsed by Gestalt. Releases on April 25th.

B TIER - "We sit together, the games and me, until only the games remain."

Games that are good, but flawed. I might buy them if on sale, but they're not going to be long time favorites.

Dark Envoy - The battlefield control mechanics on this one are fun, not sure if they can survive the surrounding elements.
The Magical Mixture Mill - About the same, as Dark Envoy. Maybe I just got really hung up on it seeming mean to other games, but even within TMMM certain elements like customers seemed shallow and half done. Do love me some automation loops though.
Candle Knight - Maybe I just didn't get far enough in the demo to see if it was really good or really bad though?
City of Beats - I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, but it just isn't polished enough. Releases sometime in Q2.
Dynopunk - After having played Affogato, I've revised my estimates on this one down a little, but I still think Dynopunk's more of an A fallen from grace than a C trying to escape the pile.
Takara Cards - In perfect balance is Takara Cards, which is a game that is mostly mediocre saved from being completely so by some theoretically interesting underlying systems. Releases in March.
Lakeburg Legacies - Lakeburg Legacies would be so good, if it was good. Releases sometime in Q2.
Shady Knight - Didn't feel as smooth as a game of this type should be to me. Might be different for you.
Spirited Thief - Even if I don't quite understand the spirit part of the game, it's still a very fun stealth game. Releases sometime in Q3.

C TIER - "Shouldn't it be repaired if it's done for? It should, but it's something we've no time for."

Mediocrities, saved by underlying decent design from being outright bad. May still be salvageable/worth playing, especially if your tastes wildly vary from mine.

The Ouroboros King - I just can't help but feel like most of the core elements have been done better elsewhere, even if not all in a single game. But if you very specifically want Chess: The Roguelike, it does that serviceably. Releases on February 27th.
DinoBlits - A nonentity of a game whose demo I picked up because I kept looking for a good game with dinosaurs in it.
ArcRunner - I think there's better sci-fi shooters, but it's fine.
Dungeon Drafters - Definitely one of the ones where you can't just rely on my review and need to make sure whether or not it's your own thing. Found it bland and repetitive myself. Releasing sometime in Q2.
Creeping Deck: Pharaoh's Curse - Perfectly generic deckbuilder, set in Ancient Egypt.
Pocket Planet - Alternated between being very enjoyable and very infuriating, landing it in the exact middle.
Dust & Neon - Okay, so when I reviewed Dust & Neon, I didn't know it was releasing tomorrow, as in a full release. If the Demo's all that there is, this really should be a D-Tier. But the robot cowboy dueling's okay enough and there's enough extra advertised that it's saved from the junk pile.
Worldless - I forgot that this game existed, which pretty much sums up where I think it belongs on the list.
Plan B: Terraform - Released today! Into Early Access, rather than a full release. I didn't really see what this brought to the table that other terraforming games didn't, but people seem to like it, so maybe I'm wrong. Also it's $9.99 ($8.99 on sale), so it's not like it'll break your wallet.
Voidtrain - Probably the only one of these and below I expect to take a serious look at again at some point in the future. There's huge potential here, but it's just so slow to get started.

D TIER - "And all should cry, 'Beware!, Beware!' His buggy mess, his vaporware"

Bad games. Expect your net utility value with these to be slightly negative at best, and quickly veering off towards rock bottom.

Ethyrial: Echoes of Yore - Like we really needed another low budget, generic MMO in an already crowded sea. Releases in April.
Dreadful River - Poorly explained and poorly designed, I still think it looks like somebody's student project that just got let loose onto Steam. Releases on February 28th.
Pirates of Pangea - Land & Sea Survival - This one is more like a C- that fell in here because I didn't want it and Voidtrain to share the same spot on the ladder. Could redeem itself with a lot of dev polish.
Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG & Sea Battles - Wasn't great, but the devs have also put out other sections with additional gameplay. Still not expecting this to be good.
Godfist - For a game about punching things, the punching doesn't feel that satisfying given how hard it is to put enemies down for good. Releases in March.
Vernal Edge - Not even worth describing with a face card (of Metroidvanias). This might be a little harsh, but I also had a pretty bad time with the demo. Releases sometime in Q1.
The Ranch of Rivershine - Bottom of D Tier, saved from going any lower because the demo was at least playable without incident and I didn't expect much from it.
Soul Tolerance - The concept and aesthetics deserved to be attached to a much better game than this.
Cardboard Town - It's not objectively a bad enough game to deserve F-Tier, but I disliked it so, so much compared to Roots of Yggdrasil.
Karagon - Game released on the 13th, to mixed reviews. The fact that a couple of people seem to really like it makes me hesitant to dumpster it altogether, but I wonder how much of that is based on people assuming the dev is going to go full throttle on making this game the best that it can be, when they already have three other projects lined up to work on? $19.99 ($17.99 on sale).
Uncharted Waters Origin - The game already failed in Asian markets and will probably fail even harder here, especially given all the weird cash shop and mobile-esque elements I saw on the sidelines of the demo. If we didn't have anything to compare it to, as someone who has regularly dealt with janky KMMOs, I'd probably still play it because the underlying game is still good (if overly riddled with annoying systems), but in a world where we have other options UWO stays down here where it belongs.

F-TIER - "For all their consoles are filled with filth and vomit"

Games that are literally unplayable, absolutely miserable, or in some way commit a cardinal sin against gaming. May they sink into the murky depths of Steam after this review, never to again see the light of day.

Dark Tree - Poorly written, gameplay consists of you running around while maybe holding a single button, trying to circle strafe enemies. Still somehow the best of this sorry lot. Releases sometime in Q2.
Builders of Greece - Not only is it a boring city builder, but the developer is just slamming out multiple games which are all the same thing in different settings. Releases sometime in Q3.
Fall of Bali - C'mon, don't post the demo to Steam if it doesn't even work. This was a technical test with a history book attached.
Immortal: Tales of Rebirth - Game "technically" was an English demo in the least useful of ways, was generally confusing, and the movement controls felt terrible. Releases in April.
Gripper - Soulless, lifeless, took a cool concept and utterly ruined it in the execution.
Quantum Coherence - Simultaneously satisfies the trifecta of all three things that should place it in F-Tier at once, and has the gall to be trying for another run in the Indie Cup. The worst of the lot.

UNRANKED - "..."

I still have opinions on these games since I did at least part of a review for them, but I only sort of indirectly engaged, so not going to rank them.

King of the Castle - The sort of game you probably won't play because it's tailored to annoy you one way or another (again, streamer bait), unless everyone collectively agrees to just focus on the game itself, which seems alright. Releases on March 2nd.
Black & White, formerly called 1/2 White or Black - I think the devs realized they made an error on the demo, as the game is now properly marked as not being supported in English. I still want to know what's going on with this one though. Releases sometime in Q1.
Amarantus - I think this one's trying too hard to be edgy, but he who does not play it does not get to rank it. Releases sometime in Q2.
Umigame - Realistically this game's going to crash and burn, but I want it to be at least playable solo to try it out. Releases sometime in Q3.
God of Rock - Well, I suppose the world will never know if this is any good or not. Or I guess we'll just wait on the full version. Releases on April 18th.

Final Thoughts

A lot more good stuff than I was expecting going into the halfway point, but I think I was frontloading a lot of the bad demos near the beginning of the festival. In the end, everything averaged out to about what I was hoping to get out of the experience. Would come back and do it again next year, have to think about if I have the energy for this other festival or just want to move on to other games or replay the Wandering Sword/Roots of Yggdrasil/Archmage Rises demos.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 16, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Until today I forgot how crazy the rest of the month is going to be. Wild Hearts, Atomic Heart, Ishin, Sons of the Forest, CoH3, Kerbal 2, Octopath 2 and Lightfall. That’s 4 of the current 14 most wishlisted upcoming games releasing in basically a week. It is a shame so much is likely to be lost in the noise (RIP Octopath and Ishin, are my guesses).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Returnal is sickkkk; I never looked into it that much but "AAA Housemarquee roguelite" is basically something that I'm enjoying exactly as much as I knew I would

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't make up my mind about Wild Heart, but I already resubbed to Game Pass for Atomic Heart. Hope it isn't janky garbage!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh it’s gonna be. The hope is that it’s the right kind of janky garbage.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jossar posted:

NextFest Post Script and Write Up

Boy am I tired! That was a lot of games to review and it felt like it really did take an entire festival to justify pausing the rest of what I was doing with my life to go over and play them all. Was a lot of fun though. Want to thank everyone for going along with the ride, even when I dragged it out a few days beyond the festival itself.

The Final Review Ranking is going to be based on my personal tastes. No matter how good I thought a game was generally, it's not going in my highest tier or two if I don't personally plan on immediately buying it either at launch or as soon as the first sale comes up. I'll also try to give out a closer describing my thoughts in retrospect.

BRAVE TIER - "The games in the arena"

So, a funny thing happened when I was reviewing my list where I found a lot of games that are probably not going to be as good as the demos suggest, but also happened to be some of my favorite games at NextFest. So this is a sort of honorary S+ Tier for those games that I personally loved above all else, but you've been warned.

Lightracer Spark - Despite everything else, still my favorite game of the lot. Did I scare people away from this one by calling it high concept Terra Invicta meets Disco Elysium? It's a lot less complicated than that! We only got the tutorial and part of the first planet, so this still has a lot of ways it could go wrong before the final release.
Atomic Picnic - The more I played throughout NextFest, the more I questioned whether this game deserves the review I gave it or I just latched onto the first thing that I enjoyed. I want to believe that its problems are easily fixable, but Atomic Picnic could just as easily never graduate to being a full, finished product or one that makes co-op basically mandatory.
HeistGeist - Yeah, I'm just as surprised at this one as you are, really. There's nothing original about it, but I just felt so cool pulling off the demo heist that I want to play more.
Roots of Yggdrasil - I absolutely adored this, but others seem to have found it middling at best. Kind of worried it might just atrophy away as the developers try to get out anything at all, but maybe it'll get some time to shine/publicity at the follow up Indie Cup?

wait are we seriously getting another one of these things literally right after the last festival ended

S TIER - "Sending its glad voice across a hundred demos"

Games that I loved and are also recommended without caveat.

Wandering Sword - I think this one got enough buzz to save it from being crushed under the heels of its more famous peer competitors and is a refreshing breath of air for a wuxia game.
Archmage Rises - Expected a procgen mess, got a fun Mount and Blade/dungeon-crawling experience. Releases in April.
DROP - I liked DROP, but was kind of surprised to see that it became something of a breakout game for a bunch of people in the thread. Well, you never know your audience.

A TIER - "I am often seized by the fatal Goon need to have a pretty good time"

Games that are very good but I have no personal desire to play, or games I liked but not as much as the BRAVEs and can't recommend as wholeheartedly as the S-Tiers.

Galaxy Highways - Very fun, but a little too much to keep track of on-screen at once for my tastes, although not really a bullet hell as such.
Valfaris: Mecha Therion - The shmup to Galaxy Highways' more arcade-y approach. More innovative relative to its particular genre.
MEATGRINDER - The most fun I had with a game I was downright terrible at. Releases sometime in Q2.
Tape to Tape - As a Blaseball fan, I'm obliged to put this game here, even if I personally didn't like it. Also, it's very well made and a lot of other people seemed to have be having fun.
SokoChess White - I found the demo very pleasant, but even for a puzzler it's a bit too flash in the pan to really be an S-Tier game. As it turns out, the version with pieces from both sides (SokoChess) already exists and is $4.99 on Steam if you want to try that out. Releases on March 3rd.
Wantless - This is the game I expected to pop off more than DROP as a hidden favorite, but maybe it just didn't deliver on its promise for turn based tactics fans? A little less enthusiastic on it myself now that I've had some time to sit and think. Still seems good though.
Zellige: The Tilemaker of Granada - This game was always going to be very near the bottom or very near the top of my list. Personal preference says top, but if you're not interested in its core concept, there is nothing on this good green earth that is going to convince you otherwise. Releases on February 17th.
Spiritfall - Hades: The 2D Platformer is still, nevertheless, a very fun game. Also it's pretty close to its release date so you can just grab it now if you're jonesing for something that fills the same niche. Releases on March 7th.
Gods of Savvarah - Not really sure how to rank a visual novel. The story seemed interesting? Probably overhyping this but you'd need to have the full game to judge and we're going to be waiting a while on that one. First part releases in April.
Dungeons of Aether - I don't think there's going to be time to fix the whole thing where you and your opponent clink against each other, but it's still a cool game. Releases on February 28th.
Phantom Brigade - Another one for the "concept's cool, didn't grip me personally" pile. Might give it another shot if it's on sale. Releases on February 28th.
Affogato - Demo's still up, so if you're interested you should play it, also because there's a demo-exclusive background for the shop in the main game.
Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - Queen of the Metroidvanias on offer from the Fest.
Afterimage - Jack of Metroidvanias, in that it's still good but slightly eclipsed by Gestalt. Releases on April 25th.

B TIER - "We sit together, the games and me, until only the games remain."

Games that are good, but flawed. I might buy them if on sale, but they're not going to be long time favorites.

Dark Envoy - The battlefield control mechanics on this one are fun, not sure if they can survive the surrounding elements.
The Magical Mixture Mill - About the same, as Dark Envoy. Maybe I just got really hung up on it seeming mean to other games, but even within TMMM certain elements like customers seemed shallow and half done. Do love me some automation loops though.
Candle Knight - Maybe I just didn't get far enough in the demo to see if it was really good or really bad though?
City of Beats - I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, but it just isn't polished enough. Releases sometime in Q2.
Dynopunk - After having played Affogato, I've revised my estimates on this one down a little, but I still think Dynopunk's more of an A fallen from grace than a C trying to escape the pile.
Takara Cards - In perfect balance is Takara Cards, which is a game that is mostly mediocre saved from being completely so by some theoretically interesting underlying systems. Releases in March.
Lakeburg Legacies - Lakeburg Legacies would be so good, if it was good. Releases sometime in Q2.
Shady Knight - Didn't feel as smooth as a game of this type should be to me. Might be different for you.
Spirited Thief - Even if I don't quite understand the spirit part of the game, it's still a very fun stealth game. Releases sometime in Q3.

C TIER - "Shouldn't it be repaired if it's done for? It should, but it's something we've no time for."

Mediocrities, saved by underlying decent design from being outright bad. May still be salvageable/worth playing, especially if your tastes wildly vary from mine.

The Ouroboros King - I just can't help but feel like most of the core elements have been done better elsewhere, even if not all in a single game. But if you very specifically want Chess: The Roguelike, it does that serviceably. Releases on February 27th.
DinoBlits - A nonentity of a game whose demo I picked up because I kept looking for a good game with dinosaurs in it.
ArcRunner - I think there's better sci-fi shooters, but it's fine.
Dungeon Drafters - Definitely one of the ones where you can't just rely on my review and need to make sure whether or not it's your own thing. Found it bland and repetitive myself. Releasing sometime in Q2.
Creeping Deck: Pharaoh's Curse - Perfectly generic deckbuilder, set in Ancient Egypt.
Pocket Planet - Alternated between being very enjoyable and very infuriating, landing it in the exact middle.
Dust & Neon - Okay, so when I reviewed Dust & Neon, I didn't know it was releasing tomorrow, as in a full release. If the Demo's all that there is, this really should be a D-Tier. But the robot cowboy dueling's okay enough and there's enough extra advertised that it's saved from the junk pile.
Worldless - I forgot that this game existed, which pretty much sums up where I think it belongs on the list.
Plan B: Terraform - Released today! Into Early Access, rather than a full release. I didn't really see what this brought to the table that other terraforming games didn't, but people seem to like it, so maybe I'm wrong. Also it's $9.99 ($8.99 on sale), so it's not like it'll break your wallet.
Voidtrain - Probably the only one of these and below I expect to take a serious look at again at some point in the future. There's huge potential here, but it's just so slow to get started.

D TIER - "And all should cry, 'Beware!, Beware!' His buggy mess, his vaporware"

Bad games. Expect your net utility value with these to be slightly negative at best, and quickly veering off towards rock bottom.

Ethyrial: Echoes of Yore - Like we really needed another low budget, generic MMO in an already crowded sea. Releases in April.
Dreadful River - Poorly explained and poorly designed, I still think it looks like somebody's student project that just got let loose onto Steam. Releases on February 28th.
Pirates of Pangea - Land & Sea Survival - This one is more like a C- that fell in here because I didn't want it and Voidtrain to share the same spot on the ladder. Could redeem itself with a lot of dev polish.
Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG & Sea Battles - Wasn't great, but the devs have also put out other sections with additional gameplay. Still not expecting this to be good.
Godfist - For a game about punching things, the punching doesn't feel that satisfying given how hard it is to put enemies down for good. Releases in March.
Vernal Edge - Not even worth describing with a face card (of Metroidvanias). This might be a little harsh, but I also had a pretty bad time with the demo. Releases sometime in Q1.
The Ranch of Rivershine - Bottom of D Tier, saved from going any lower because the demo was at least playable without incident and I didn't expect much from it.
Soul Tolerance - The concept and aesthetics deserved to be attached to a much better game than this.
Cardboard Town - It's not objectively a bad enough game to deserve F-Tier, but I disliked it so, so much compared to Roots of Yggdrasil.
Karagon - Game released on the 13th, to mixed reviews. The fact that a couple of people seem to really like it makes me hesitant to dumpster it altogether, but I wonder how much of that is based on people assuming the dev is going to go full throttle on making this game the best that it can be, when they already have three other projects lined up to work on? $19.99 ($17.99 on sale).
Uncharted Waters Origin - The game already failed in Asian markets and will probably fail even harder here, especially given all the weird cash shop and mobile-esque elements I saw on the sidelines of the demo. If we didn't have anything to compare it to, as someone who has regularly dealt with janky KMMOs, I'd probably still play it because the underlying game is still good (if overly riddled with annoying systems), but in a world where we have other options UWO stays down here where it belongs.

F-TIER - "For all their consoles are filled with filth and vomit"

Games that are literally unplayable, absolutely miserable, or in some way commit a cardinal sin against gaming. May they sink into the murky depths of Steam after this review, never to again see the light of day.

Dark Tree - Poorly written, gameplay consists of you running around while maybe holding a single button, trying to circle strafe enemies. Still somehow the best of this sorry lot. Releases sometime in Q2.
Builders of Greece - Not only is it a boring city builder, but the developer is just slamming out multiple games which are all the same thing in different settings. Releases sometime in Q3.
Fall of Bali - C'mon, don't post the demo to Steam if it doesn't even work. This was a technical test with a history book attached.
Immortal: Tales of Rebirth - Game "technically" was an English demo in the least useful of ways, was generally confusing, and the movement controls felt terrible. Releases in April.
Gripper - Soulless, lifeless, took a cool concept and utterly ruined it in the execution.
Quantum Coherence - Simultaneously satisfies the trifecta of all three things that should place it in F-Tier at once, and has the gall to be trying for another run in the Indie Cup. The worst of the lot.

UNRANKED - "..."

I still have opinions on these games since I did at least part of a review for them, but I only sort of indirectly engaged, so not going to rank them.

King of the Castle - The sort of game you probably won't play because it's tailored to annoy you one way or another (again, streamer bait), unless everyone collectively agrees to just focus on the game itself, which seems alright. Releases on March 2nd.
Black & White, formerly called 1/2 White or Black - I think the devs realized they made an error on the demo, as the game is now properly marked as not being supported in English. I still want to know what's going on with this one though. Releases sometime in Q1.
Amarantus - I think this one's trying too hard to be edgy, but he who does not play it does not get to rank it. Releases sometime in Q2.
Umigame - Realistically this game's going to crash and burn, but I want it to be at least playable solo to try it out. Releases sometime in Q3.
God of Rock - Well, I suppose the world will never know if this is any good or not. Or I guess we'll just wait on the full version. Releases on April 18th.

Final Thoughts

A lot more good stuff than I was expecting going into the halfway point, but I think I was frontloading a lot of the bad demos near the beginning of the festival. In the end, everything averaged out to about what I was hoping to get out of the experience. Would come back and do it again next year, have to think about if I have the energy for this other festival or just want to move on to other games or replay the Wandering Sword/Roots of Yggdrasil/Archmage Rises demos.

Thanks for this, gonna check out a bunch of these

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I notice that you have a queen and jack of Metroidvanias, but no king or ace?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't recommend Returnal enough, if the PC performance is good, get it and don't look up a single thing about it

All you need to know gameplay wise is single run action third person game with some meta progression - don't let "it's hard!" scare you off, if you're remotely competent with action games you can get through it with practice

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Evil West

i'm done with demos and I'm just playing regular games again. Evil West has the pros and cons of several Flying Wild Hog games mashed together. It's got the very strict linearity of Shadow Warrior 3, but also the varied vistas. It's got the plain flat combat arenas of Hard Reset or SW2013, but the style of third person melee/range combat suits it better than an uptempo FPS would. It's got the environmental detail of a AAA game, AND the needless protagonist chatterboxing. A 7/10 game in and out.

I am enjoying it though, despite the shortcomings, partially because it is keeping things moving, throwing a lot of interesting environments to look at as you engage in mostly samey combat, and they do add wrinkles to the combat over time (in level 3 for example you get a gauntlet on your left hand that allows you to either whip someone towards you, or teleport towards them, and electrocute them, enabling a Fist of the North Star-ish assault of punches). Like SW3 it's trying to be synergistic and rotational, so enemies have tiny Virtua-Cop esque rings to shoot at with your rifle before they attack you from range, which will do more damage and drop health... your gauntlet punches speed up your healing flask's cooldown. There are spike traps that you can knock enemies into with uppercut combos. Red flash attacks that you counter with a kick to stun enemies. Combine this with an arena that can fill up with enemies and it can get very hectic and have you moving your right digits all over the gamepad.

I think the main problem's going to be that it's a 8-10 hour game with 16 levels... and the levels are a little lengthy. SW3 had the smart idea to keep the stages shorter since you're not exactly exploring an open world, while the levels in Evil West seem like they want to justify their length with spectacle, cutscenes, and self-chatting. I think that it might start to wear thin by the finishing stretch.

Ctrl-Alt-Ego

on the exact opposite side of the presentation spectrum lies Ctrl-Alt-Ego, whose programmer art can be at best described as 'charming' in a folksy way. this unfortunately doesn't translate to better performance, as it struggles to stay above 40FPS on the Deck, but at least the gameplay isn't demanding fast twitch reflexes.

it's an IMMSIM(tm) folks! i'm gonna keep saying IMMSIM even though everyone hates it, because, well, we know what it means. it means many routes, many solutions, and no right or wrong way to play (which the game flat out tells you on one of the monitors). rather than being a detective, field agent, or wouldyoukindly, you're a disembodied ego that can travel between robots, monitors, basically any electronic device to control them, as long as you have enough EGO points or they have nothing jamming you. while this of course leads to a lot of disorienting warping around, most of your interactions will come through the red robot Bug 22, which you upgrade with upgrade disks and worms to build your own personal playstyle.

this can mean giving your robot flight and dash power. it can mean increasing its stealth capabilities. you can become a machine of war. you can learn telekinesis and lift heavy things, or teleportation within line of sight like dishonored. the game is willing to accommodate you whichever way you go, as there are multiple routes and multiple solutions to problems. for example, you can ignore all this stuff and just find enough EGO points to allow you to brute force control everything you need to progress.

primarily the game is a puzzly game rather than an ARPG, so there's no stats other than EGO points and the disk skills you upgrade with worms, the 'guns' feel like poo poo, and movement is just awkward in general. aside from some monitors/tablets lying around with messages on them, this isn't like Human Revolution where you can look at everyone's emails. you've got a job to do and places to get to. there are some hidden/side paths that award bonus EGO points and of course the Worms you need to upgrade your abilities. but otherwise the multiple doorways and routes are there to allow for different playstyles to have a viable path forward.

it's a really neat game, despite the jank and lower budget. i saw this at Realms Deep 2022 and was like "whoa. imm sim + puzzle is a great combo" and.. it is! i think. I've only played through the prologue and first chapter. maybe the game gets really stinky later!! but i'm enjoying it so far

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CTRL+ALT+EGO is very, very, very good. Occasionally you can sense the game running up against the constraints of its budget but that doesn't keep it from accomplishing everything it sets out to do-- it's pretty clearly an immersive sim made by people obsessed with immersive sims who know the genre inside and out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the deal with Returnal? Why is everyone raving about it?

From what I've seen it just looks like any other shooter in the roguelite pile except with the AA coat of paint, and somehow I doubt it's best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

From what I've seen it just looks like any other shooter in the roguelite pile except with the AA coat of paint, and somehow I doubt it's best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

It's really pretty and plays great (though I never managed to get past biome 3 on PS5). It's almost like a roguelite Metroid Prime.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's really weird that Returnal requires you to download some epic games stuff, overlay and online. I don't really mind the store that much so it doesn't bother me but I get people complaining about it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Gamerofthegame posted:

workers and resources got delisted on steam, apparently prompted by the devs who didn't want to deal with DMCA claims from a steam guide weirdo

v tragic

For anyone else wondering

https://www.reddit.com/r/Workers_And_Resources/comments/ytd0rt/comment/iwl7a9r/

This poo poo is wild. How can someone think they own the way a game is played. What

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Isn’t Workers and Resources still in early access? This is probably gonna cut development short.

E:other sources say they wanted to be in the credits. Seems like a trivial fix?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 16, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

The developer has a very, very good pedigree when it comes to action/arcade games. Resogun and Nex Machina are IMO actually literally best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Does returnal have anything that requires internet? My internet is occasionally flaky for reasons I don't know yet and I don't want a 60+ run to go weird.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

i'm only like two runs in so far but it looks amazing and it feels very good to play. i don't think there are many other competitors in the uhh 3d roguelike bullet hell genre aside from risk of rain 2, which is also very good but a totally different game. there also aren't very many competitors for high budget titles that are really fun to play and don't suck.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mindblast posted:

Does returnal have anything that requires internet? My internet is occasionally flaky for reasons I don't know yet and I don't want a 60+ run to go weird.

I've only done two runs but there's some degree of multiplayer. You can find Dark Souls-style bloodstains showing a hologram of how another player died, then you get the option to fight a roided up version of whatever killed them for credits. Whatever killed them also killed me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've only done two runs but there's some degree of multiplayer. You can find Dark Souls-style bloodstains showing a hologram of how another player died, then you get the option to fight a roided up version of whatever killed them for credits. Whatever killed them also killed me.

There is just straight up coop, you interact with the big glowing ball outside of the ship to find a random or open a private session.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
keep returnaling to returnal for another run in the middle of my work from home day. will need some more time to decide what i really think but so far it feels like it's very confident in itself. weirdly so for a AAA game which usually have severe crises of confidence in themselves and the player and need to dress everything up and make it as smooth and frictionless as possible. returnal goes here's the game, you shoot monsters and they shoot you, hope you enjoy

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

keep returnaling to returnal for another run in the middle of my work from home day. will need some more time to decide what i really think but so far it feels like it's very confident in itself. weirdly so for a AAA game which usually have severe crises of confidence in themselves and the player and need to dress everything up and make it as smooth and frictionless as possible. returnal goes here's the game, you shoot monsters and they shoot you, hope you enjoy

I'm not hugely into Returnal, but I do respect it, and this is probably along the lines of why. Specifically in the context of Sony's other first party IP, Returnal really confidently stands out as its own thing.

It just feels like the type of game Sony don't make anymore. Like a game pulled out of their mid-2000's era, as if it should have been on the PS2 or early PS3, or maybe an obscure PSP title that never left Japan (obviously not visually, just in terms of its feel and vibe). It obviously has modern inspirations and looks amazing, but I found Returnal conjures up a weird sense of nostalgia for a 15 year old version of this game that doesn't exist - or maybe just the way AAA used to feel.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Resdfru posted:

For anyone else wondering

https://www.reddit.com/r/Workers_And_Resources/comments/ytd0rt/comment/iwl7a9r/

This poo poo is wild. How can someone think they own the way a game is played. What

Fruits of the sea posted:

Isn’t Workers and Resources still in early access? This is probably gonna cut development short.

E:other sources say they wanted to be in the credits. Seems like a trivial fix?

This is the welcome post on the modder who started this whole mess' Discord:

quote:

ATTENTION - Are you here to cry about something on the Internet that offended you?

Your comment must include all of the following or it will be deleted. If it includes all of the following, it will be ignored

1)Name

2)E-mail address to contact you later

3)The issue you are here to cry about

4)Are you a party to the issue?

5)If no, why are you here? It's none of your business

6)Please name all the parties in #4

7)For each party, tell us if you have seen all the agreements, contracts, e-mails and audio recordings of conversations?

8)If yes, tell us where you got them

9)Did you enjoy spending time on something not related to you in an way?

10)Are you a lawyer?

11)Where did you go to law school and what is your area of law

12)Cite your sources

13)Attach your brief

Also he's been DMCAing YTbers who play the game using the gamemode in question and DMCA'd it in Steam, leading to the delisting. Something tells me this isn't about a name in the credits, lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/784150/announcements/detail/3647388792201529685

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 16, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

ymgve posted:

I notice that you have a queen and jack of Metroidvanias, but no king or ace?

Fair cop, the original statement for Gestalt was supposed to be highlighting/making fun of the fact that I only found the Metroidvanias with female protagonists interesting enough to play, but I couldn't find a way to make it land without being weird, so it sort of just got converted into a playing card joke halfway through.

Also the Indie Cup isn't really super-demo oriented the way NextFest was, so I think I'm going to pass on that. Escape The Mad Empire, Erra: Exordium, Beneath Oresa, Chaos Crown, and The Brew Barons all seemed interesting at first glance if somebody else wants to take an in-depth look.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 16, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

The same also seems to hold true for the story. I spoiled myself on it a year back when I assumed it wouldn't be coming to PC anyway, and I was very surprised that they had the confidence to get that weird with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

KazigluBey posted:

This is the welcome post on their Discord:

Also he's been DMCAing YTbers who play the game using the gamemode in question and DMCA'd it in Steam, leading to the delisting. Something tells me this isn't about a name in the credits, lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/784150/announcements/detail/3647388792201529685

This is the devs discord? Makes them sound like assholes

But on the other hand that guide writer or whoever is using dmca to mess with people's jobs and stuff so they're also an rear end in a top hat

Assholes all the way down