Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’ll keep buying physical games as long as I don’t have to install them like on PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if they don't put every last wario game on the switch i will be most displeased

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Augus posted:

I demand Wario Prime

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mind you, the last time Nintendo released physical copies of Metroid Prime (as the Wii Trilogy) it sold like poo poo and they clearanced it for $20 within a few months of release. Even though there's every reason to believe it would do better this time, they probably still have bad memories of that.

Granted, that was a different time. GameCube copies of Metroid Prime 1 was pretty common and cheap. 2 was kinda uncommon but not nearly as popular as 1. And many Metroid fans who owned Wiis probably already had Metroid Prime 3. Even though they did rework MP1 and 2 to have motion controls, people already grew tired of what was perceived as a gimmick. The Metroid Prime Trilogy did become somewhat harder to come by years down the line. Nintendo did do reprints every so often during the Wii U era, and they always hovered around $60-$70 “pre-owned” at GameStop.

I have not seen any of the game news sites eat crow for being wrong about their numerous Metroid Prime Trilogy leaks. They’re doing already revising history and going “whoah the Metroid Prime Remaster rumors were true!”

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Granted, that was a different time. GameCube copies of Metroid Prime 1 was pretty common and cheap. 2 was kinda uncommon but not nearly as popular as 1. And many Metroid fans who owned Wiis probably already had Metroid Prime 3. Even though they did rework MP1 and 2 to have motion controls, people already grew tired of what was perceived as a gimmick. The Metroid Prime Trilogy did become somewhat harder to come by years down the line. Nintendo did do reprints every so often during the Wii U era, and they always hovered around $60-$70 “pre-owned” at GameStop.

I have not seen any of the game news sites eat crow for being wrong about their numerous Metroid Prime Trilogy leaks. They’re doing already revising history and going “whoah the Metroid Prime Remaster rumors were true!”

Is any game news site better then ChatGPT at this point?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Barreft posted:

Is any game news site better then ChatGPT at this point?

Were they ever?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Detective No. 27 posted:

the same people who wouldn't shut up about the Metroid Prime Trilogy being just around the corner are now "breaking" stories that Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 remakes are in the works, with zero self awareness

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WarpDogs posted:

the same people who wouldn't shut up about the Metroid Prime Trilogy being just around the corner are now "breaking" stories that Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 remakes are in the works, with zero self awareness

Eternal Darkness remake when you cowards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really liked all the leakers breaking that there would be a nintendo direct in February, something which iirc has happened for like the last six years

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nostalgia for cds is starting but nowhere near vinyl yet.

No one gives a poo poo about tapes lol

It has been mentioned but since I specifically taught stuff on music distribution earlier this year I was pleasantly surprised to see tapes proliferating far more than you'd think. Today's youth in Parisian suburbs aren't all that aware of them, but they seem to be very popular in certain music scenes, particularly hip-hop, and in certain parts of the world like the African continent and the Middle East since they remain easy and cheap to produce and sell at mass.

I don't buy them myself, since so few contemporary stereos play them, but I do find them to be the most charming of our old physical media and would be 100% with a revival. I don't do vinyls but I do have a healthy CD collection, since that's what I had originally and despite it all I find vinyl incredibly cumbersome and inconvenient.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astro7x posted:

Amazon, this better be a loving joke

I just got this, and I'm pissed, royally pissed.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It has been mentioned but since I specifically taught stuff on music distribution earlier this year I was pleasantly surprised to see tapes proliferating far more than you'd think. Today's youth in Parisian suburbs aren't all that aware of them, but they seem to be very popular in certain music scenes, particularly hip-hop, and in certain parts of the world like the African continent and the Middle East since they remain easy and cheap to produce and sell at mass.

I don't buy them myself, since so few contemporary stereos play them, but I do find them to be the most charming of our old physical media and would be 100% with a revival. I don't do vinyls but I do have a healthy CD collection, since that's what I had originally and despite it all I find vinyl incredibly cumbersome and inconvenient.

It's probably just because tapes are what I had as a kid, but I'll never understand any nostalgia for them. With vinyl records, you get a unique, enjoyable sound. With CDs you get the exact audio. With tapes, you get an annoying hissing sound.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

was it the Wii one that's usually considered the best? the GBA one owns and I am having a ton of fun with it

It's not my favourite in terms of raw mechanics but then that not necessarily what your going to Wario Ware for. It's one of the best uses of the motion controls, is great fun with friends, and probably the funniest of the bunch.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Mario Kart 8 continues to be excellent.

Augus posted:

I would like to play Wario World, please.

KingSlime posted:

Nah I gotta cook up some salmon doused in butter, garlic, and lime, game should be unlocked by the time I'm done.

That sounds delicious, I'm jealous!

Detective No. 27 posted:

You obviously don’t follow the vaporwave scene.

:cheers:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It's probably just because tapes are what I had as a kid, but I'll never understand any nostalgia for them. With vinyl records, you get a unique, enjoyable sound. With CDs you get the exact audio. With tapes, you get an annoying hissing sound.

The quality is garbage compared to everything else, but nothing beats them for ease of use and customization. It's really easy to record on and over tapes, CD burners are fine for digital media, but you can hold a rather small tape recorder up to a thing, and it'll record your sound. Digital recorders obviously do that too, but swapping digital files is less exciting than giving someone a little plastic box, which you've maybe decorated. It makes them rather unique objects all told. They tread a fine line between being surprisingly sturdy and extremely fragile, the shell being able to be mistreated and the tape itself prone to any sort of damage.

They're weird. I don't think we'll ever see a huge resurgence, but they've got a niche especially in cheap audio production and they really capture an analog feeling that neither CD's or vinyls do.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
do CDs bring much to the table, nostalgia-wise? all their unique qualities are mostly negatives, like being fragile and disk rot being a pretty unavoidable problem and drives being so finnicky and prone to breaking or scratching your stuff. the best case scenario is that the music sounds exactly like it does as if it was played via digital storage

I know that a lot of nostalgia is fueled by flaws and imperfections that we ultimately end up missing, but CD flaws don't really impact the music at all. maybe some people are nostalgic for music skipping every .333 seconds because of a scratch? idk

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

do CDs bring much to the table, nostalgia-wise? all their unique qualities are mostly negatives, like being fragile and disk rot being a pretty unavoidable problem and drives being so finnicky and prone to breaking or scratching your stuff. the best case scenario is that the music sounds exactly like it does as if it was played via digital storage

I know that a lot of nostalgia is fueled by flaws and imperfections that we ultimately end up missing, but CD flaws don't really impact the music at all. maybe some people are nostalgic for music skipping every .333 seconds because of a scratch? idk

I don't think they do, but for me it's part I already own a lot of CD's and I like having the physical object of a thing I like. There's no real difference between putting a CD in the stereo and hooking up my itunes via bluetooth, aside from the fact that I get to hear the neat whirring of the machine as it eats the CD. I also have a much larger digital library for what it's worth and generally only buy CD's if I like the band a lot.

I see the appeal of vinyl but A) I never had any and I'm not about to start B) The quality is cute but its idiosyncrasies don't do anything for me and C) You don't have to flip it over to listen to it, which is the big win CD's have that I can play the whole drat thing through in one go in most cases.

Most of all they're probably a late 80's-90's thing, like Cassettes are for the mid 70's most of the 80's, and that's why people who are getting nostalgic for that era flaunt them I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not owned until March, apparently.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Pokemon OLED arrived!

...which I can't use because the microSD reader I ordered hasn't yet. Also because I'm at work hours I guess.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i really liked all the leakers breaking that there would be a nintendo direct in February, something which iirc has happened for like the last six years

I do t want to ruin any surprises but look out for a Nintendo showcase around e3 time fellow gamer ;)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also I don't think Metroid Prime Remastered is getting a physical release in Japan? I couldn't find it on Amazon when I was looking last week.

I've read a few places that Metroid isn't very popular in Japan. It's one of those series that does a lot better in the west. I also read that Metroid Other M was supposed to appeal more to the Japanese audience but mercifully they hated that mistake of a game too!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

WarpDogs posted:

Ignoring the nostalgia angle for a moment. I like vinyl because of the large art, excellent if not quite CD sound, the tactile nature of it, the feeling of owning a record of music. I like CDs because it's a perfect digital archive of the music, as realistically perfect as I can expect to have, they're affordable, I rip the music into the digital realm and have a backup on the shelf. CD has better dynamic range and bass than most vinyl. The downsides of vinyl are the upsides of CD and vice versa. Streaming is fine for air pods but when I want to feel my music I put on a disc at home, or in my car.

Compact cassettes are fun objects and I have a few dozen; a lot of music I've gotten at shows was only on tape, or tape and CD, and often the tapes will have Bandcamp codes so I can get the music on all the formats (wav, flac, etc) and stream, AND have a nice little object.

That said, modern tapes are not nice to listen to. A proper deck back in the day, with a properly-mastered tape on type III tape with dolby noise reduction could be an excellent listen; as those don't exist anymore (there's one manufacturer of tape mechanisms these days and it's bollocks, type III isn't made anymore, and Dolby no longer licenses their NR tech), tapes sound like poo poo. But if you're giving an artist a fiver and getting a tape with download, that's a nice deal. There's a one-man label that specializes in tape releases, Antiquated Future Records, I've bought a few of his releases and the zines he distributes.

I do have some nostalgia for CDs, but I've also some for tapes, yet for actually listening to the medium, CDs win for me, no contest.

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 16, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Most of the people that mess with tapes seems to enjoy them mostly for nostalgia but also because they can be made to sound pretty good if you get a good tape deck, restore it, and get it set up right. It's a tinkerer's hobby these days. Back in the analog days buying and adjusting different equipment could make a noticeable difference in the sound. CDs and digital audio took the "fun" out of that because the music was basically perfect from the source.

Also tapes being an analog medium matters for people who are anti-digital when it comes to music. Vinyl nerds taping their records to listen to them on the go for example. Though that's a niche within a niche.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cojawfee posted:

I just got this, and I'm pissed, royally pissed.

You can hold a tape without worrying about destroying the medium so it has the most physicality

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

You obviously don’t follow the vaporwave scene.

I do! And I’m aware that a lot of those releases come out on tape for the ~a e s T h e T I c~

But what I mean is you can throw a stone anywhere and hit a vinyl collector. You can’t do that with tapes. It’s a very specific niche that clearly a handful of people in this thread fall into, but in general I don’t think is popular with the general public.

Anyway, switch games!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
so wait I'm sorry in Wind Waker after I defeat the two temples I have to go around the world and pick up a bunch of garbage off the bottom of the ocean?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Detective No. 27 posted:

For more info/perspective on this, and how lovely the reporting on the whole "PRIME TRILOGY ALREADY DONE AND JUST HELD OFF" stuff was, here's a post by an apparently well known insider at Retro
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/10ydpgf/insider_from_resetera_almost_two_years_ago_told/

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr.Acula posted:

You can sell a physical copy down the road

i have never sold a video game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
god i hope we get prime 2 remaster

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ninteno rumour mongers are total freaks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looper posted:

god i hope we get prime 2 remaster

same. and 3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is there any evidence that is an insider or we just accepting that because what they said is nice

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

I just get Switch games my public library, where you can have them for two weeks, they auto renew up to four times, so I keep it for two months until my stupid kids get bored of it and then I take it back.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is there any evidence that is an insider or we just accepting that because what they said is nice

sorry, should of clarified this but that post was originally on ResetEra and posted almost two years ago, and seems to line up almost exactly with what ended up happening

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

For more info/perspective on this, and how lovely the reporting on the whole "PRIME TRILOGY ALREADY DONE AND JUST HELD OFF" stuff was, here's a post by an apparently well known insider at Retro
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/10ydpgf/insider_from_resetera_almost_two_years_ago_told/
I usually roll my eyes at stuff like this but in retrospect that’s pretty clearly a Retro employee trying to set the record straight. Interesting read and from the sound of it there might still be a chance of 2 and 3 in the future by Iron Galaxy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Looper posted:

I haven't done so either, historically, but lately we've been trying to organize the house and get rid of clutter, so I went and sold a shopping bag full of old DS/Gamecube/Wii games I hadn't touched in years to a retro games store in town. Made over $900 for the lot. Certainly could have gotten more if I'd sold them on eBay myself, but also I ain't got the time to do that. Not having the time to do that is why I hadn't sold them that way already.

So yeah it kind of feels good. I have some extra space now, and a pile of extra cash I can spend on more (digital) games.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I haven't done so either, historically, but lately we've been trying to organize the house and get rid of clutter, so I went and sold a shopping bag full of old DS/Gamecube/Wii games I hadn't touched in years to a retro games store in town. Made over $900 for the lot. Certainly could have gotten more if I'd sold them on eBay myself, but also I ain't got the time to do that. Not having the time to do that is why I hadn't sold them that way already.

So yeah it kind of feels good. I have some extra space now, and a pile of extra cash I can spend on more (digital) games.

What's the etiquette for showing up at a retro game store with a big boxes of games? Do you give them a heads up that you've got a lot of stuff to sell or do they not care because that's just "what they're there for"?

I ask because I'm in a similar boat and I don't want to fuss with selling them piece by piece on eBay.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’d probably give them a courtesy heads up call to see what their policy is. Might be that they won’t have an employee available right then to help you but you can just drop off the entire lot and they’ll get you a quote in a few days.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

What's the etiquette for showing up at a retro game store with a big boxes of games? Do you give them a heads up that you've got a lot of stuff to sell or do they not care because that's just "what they're there for"?

I ask because I'm in a similar boat and I don't want to fuss with selling them piece by piece on eBay.

I'm sure it varies by store, but at this place they have the option for you to leave stuff with them for them to appraise, if you have a lot. Then they call/text you when they have everything tabulated. To be sure I'd just give them a call or check their website. The place I went to was super nice and patient. :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ya call first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The quality is garbage compared to everything else, but nothing beats them for ease of use and customization. It's really easy to record on and over tapes, CD burners are fine for digital media, but you can hold a rather small tape recorder up to a thing, and it'll record your sound. Digital recorders obviously do that too, but swapping digital files is less exciting than giving someone a little plastic box, which you've maybe decorated. It makes them rather unique objects all told. They tread a fine line between being surprisingly sturdy and extremely fragile, the shell being able to be mistreated and the tape itself prone to any sort of damage.
I'm totally stoked for minidisc to make a comeback.

WarpDogs posted:

do CDs bring much to the table, nostalgia-wise?
Putting a CD into a tray-loaded player in your component stereo system and praying at it works is a time-honored ritual.

CDs are still the best-sounding* popular physical medium for music since SACD and whatnot never really took off. As long as they're still being manufactured I think they'll still have a niche among those who trade in physical media, libraries, etc.

* Well, physical limitations of vinyl records means they have to go through a different mastering process which is often done better than the heavily-compressed LOUDNESS of most 90s albums on CD.