Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

When we managed to snag a reservation for Be Our Guest, like 7 years ago, the breakfast was basically continental breakfast from Days Inn. And the seating was like an arena. Couldn't even hear my wife across the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I went to BoG last year and the food wasn't noticeably worse to me, but it is very loud. It's a cool building but not cool enough to stay on my list of places eat when there are so many other options.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the food at BoG is fine. If the menu is the same for my next trip, I won't go there again.

I would definitely put it in the 'go there once to check it out' list of restaurants like CRT.

Since we're still talking food, how's Space 220? Is the food good or do you go for the theming?

Is Marrakesh ever going to re-open? It's still listed on their website.

Give me your favorite (open) Epcot sit-down joints. I still haven't tried too many of them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2023

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Space 220 was amazing. We went in October 2022 for dinner and it was prix fixe but holy moly it was good. It's also the Patina Group, which is probably a big reason why it's great. The experience is also super cool. I'll def do it again. I do believe they have a lunch setup & lounge as well.

Spice Road Table was amazing pre-pandemic. Can't speak to it now but it looked like it barely had anybody there and that menu has been cut significantly.

I really want to hit up Takumi-tei, the signature in Japan. I've heard nothing but great reviews on it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the food at BoG is fine. If the menu is the same for my next trip, I won't go there again.

I would definitely put it in the 'go there once to check it out' list of restaurants like CRT.

Since we're still talking food, how's Space 220? Is the food good or do you go for the theming?

Is Marrakesh ever going to re-open? It's still listed on their website.

Give me your favorite (open) Epcot sit-down joints. I still haven't tried too many of them.

Via Napoli is good.

The two Mexico restaurants are good too.

And Le Cellier, of course.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Space 220 was amazing. We went in October 2022 for dinner and it was prix fixe but holy moly it was good. It's also the Patina Group, which is probably a big reason why it's great. The experience is also super cool. I'll def do it again. I do believe they have a lunch setup & lounge as well.

Spice Road Table was amazing pre-pandemic. Can't speak to it now but it looked like it barely had anybody there and that menu has been cut significantly.

I really want to hit up Takumi-tei, the signature in Japan. I've heard nothing but great reviews on it.

Thanks for the Space 220 praise.

We went to SRT pre-pandemic and it was great. When it re-opened they changed it to more of a lounge type atmosphere I think? The food is more like snacks and poo poo.

I will definitely try Takumi-tei. We did a huge family trip a few years back and did the hibachi at Teppan Edo and it was fine.

Zero One posted:

Via Napoli is good.

The two Mexico restaurants are good too.

And Le Cellier, of course.

I really need to do Le Cellier. The Mrs is really picky about Mexican (she's Mexican-american) and Italian. I'll have her check out the menus. Surprisingly, she really loved Tortilla Jo's at Downtown Disney.

edit: This is always the 'fun' part of these Disney trips. She always tells me to book whatever because she doesn't care but I want to make 100% sure it's something she'll like.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 14, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I thought Space 220 had good food, but the theming is definitely the selling point. If it was in MK or HS it would be one of the top restaurants in the park, but at Epcot you can trip and stumble into a restaurant with great food

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Actually yeah Le Cellier too for sure. I've gone there a few times for over a decade and it's bomb every time. It is however dimly lit on purpose and that can be a little odd for some folks. :canada:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Via Napoli is great, Les Chefs de France is great, the one inside the pyramid at Mexico is great (haven't eaten at the other one)

We love Rose & Crown for the atmosphere, and of course the food is good for what it is, but it's not fancy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What I've learned is you could spend a week doing all the sit-down joints and doing the slow dark rides while you're in a food coma between meals.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

What I've learned is you could spend a week doing all the sit-down joints and doing the slow dark rides while you're in a food coma between meals.

This is the ideal Disney vacation

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
La Cellier is really good. I took my wife there for one of our anniversaries pre-pandemic, and we went back again last year. That and Artist's Point are easily my top-two favorite sit-down restaurants anywhere on WDW property.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Doronin posted:

La Cellier is really good. I took my wife there for one of our anniversaries pre-pandemic, and we went back again last year. That and Artist's Point are easily my top-two favorite sit-down restaurants anywhere on WDW property.

I never heard of Artist's Point but drat that menu does sound good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Artist's Point was so awesome before they made it Snow White :11tea:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Might get some heat for this one, but Le Cellier is a good restaurant, but there's nothing about it that makes it stand out. It's a good steak restaurant on WDW property, but there's nothing to me that makes it special.

Decent steak places are everywhere in the US. You can probably name 3 off the top of your head wherever you live.

If you want the fancy steakhouse experience, STK at Disney Springs or Shula's at the Dolphin are worth exploring, but I don't do fancy steakhouses anymore they just cost a fortune. I can make a better steak at home.

Not hating on it, we've been there multiple times and enjoyed our meal every time, there's just nothing special about it to me and I rather dine at places that are different than what I can get at home.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I ate at Space 220 a year ago today. We did the lounge because we couldn’t get a dinner res and we didn’t want to pay the prix fixe price. We got apps at the bar and it was really great. I had the chicken and waffles which was pretty much a couple chicken tendies on a waffle but the Deviled eggs were amazing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So to completely switch gears. What are the better dining options at the UO parks themselves? I see there's a few full service restaurants. Are they any good or is quick service the way to go there?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Mythos is always the answer, but three broomsticks is also pretty good.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Jose Oquendo posted:

So to completely switch gears. What are the better dining options at the UO parks themselves? I see there's a few full service restaurants. Are they any good or is quick service the way to go there?

On the Studios side Finnegan's (across from Mummy) is has a full bar and a decent irish pub style restaurant, Lombard's Landing is seafood and a few other things, but . Non full service options best is probably Leaky Cauldron followed by Fast Food Blvd (Simpsons). Cafe La Bamba is back open, but haven't been in it. They are converting the old monsters cafe into a minions restaurant right now, so that's closed. Pizza wise Louies. Today Cafe up front is decent too. Richter Burger and Mel's not so much. Islands, Mythos. (Or Confisco's near the entrance to the park)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 15, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Best restaurants are in CityWalk.

Chocolate Emporium and CowFish are my favorites.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

if there's ever a covid vaccine strong enough to protect my broken rear end from dying, this is absolutely the plan.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We went to Cowfish when we were at UO last summer on advice of this thread and it was great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zero One posted:

Best restaurants are in CityWalk.

Chocolate Emporium and CowFish are my favorites.

You’re right. I’ve eaten at several of the places there but haven’t really touched the dining in the parks.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

Artist's Point was so awesome before they made it Snow White :11tea:

The menu is still very good and they are still tweaking it occasionally. And I think the evil queen is an amazing character to have at a meal and the CM that plays her whenever we go is always really into it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So I can just show up at Space 220 and have apps at the bar right? I dont need to make a rez?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BlueBayou posted:

So I can just show up at Space 220 and have apps at the bar right? I dont need to make a rez?

The lounge and the restaurant are 2 different reservations but are in the same place, difference is lounge lets your order a la carte. In my past experience, both are a pain in the rear end to grab a resy for.

Wife and I went up to the podium at open to be put on the waiting list, but found out you can be sat at the actual bar as long as your whole party is adults. It's same as the lounge, total a la carte, it's just only for walk up so it's a total crap shoot if you can snag a spot.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My friend and I were seated at the bar for our lounge res. The restaurant is really teeny so there isn’t much capacity. I thought if you didn’t have a res you could get in the waiting list. I wasn’t aware the bar top seating was only for walk ups.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Universal has always had awful food in my opinion. Sea World worse, somehow. Busch Gardens has good food, I love the BBQ place.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

My friend and I were seated at the bar for our lounge res. The restaurant is really teeny so there isn’t much capacity. I thought if you didn’t have a res you could get in the waiting list. I wasn’t aware the bar top seating was only for walk ups.

That is what the CM working the host station told my wife. I thought it was odd as well but who knows.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Luigi Thirty posted:

Universal has always had awful food in my opinion. Sea World worse, somehow. Busch Gardens has good food, I love the BBQ place.

That Busch Gardens BBQ is top tier no doubt.

There’s some good places in CityWalk but like, most of their counter service is on par with Six Flags. I unashamedly love Louie’s though and that’s my go to during HHN. Mythos wasn’t… bad… but it was more like “this is pretty good, compared to Universal’s usual offerings”.

Oh, I forgot to mention but my wife and I got to do the Jurassic World experience over at Universal’s Great Movie Escape. I’ve probably done about 100 or so escape rooms at least and we really enjoyed it. It isn’t your typical escape room experience. It’s more an immersive experience that has you solving puzzles on a timer in each room.

It was still pretty neat though. We’d do it again (and I think they just dropped the price $10). The word is the Jurassic World room is better for non-fans, you need to know back to the future to appreciate that room.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I liked Mythos pretty well. I wouldn't call it outstanding by any means, but it was decent. Leaky Cauldron is fine.

We ate at Cowfish and Toothsome too. Cowfish is decent but you're paying for the gimmick. I thought the food at Toothsome was overrated, but their shakes are bomb. I've also eaten at NBC Grill and if you like Chili's you'll love that place. Antojito's is just ok. The fajitas I had were tasty but it's definitely whitewashed Mexican food for sure.

My favorite restaurant at UOR is Sal's over at Portofino. Their margarita pizza is pretty drat good. Some of the best I've had in Orlando and beats the pants off any pizza at Disney for sure, even Via Napoli. Sal's is a must do.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Bigfire which replaced Emeril's in CityWalk is really good. Wood-fired grills and basically every cut of steak you could want. It's not like a gourmet steakhouse, but the steaks are good.

They also have a tableside s'mores dessert option with in-house marshmallows and it's served in one of those pu-pu-platter rigs with fire in the middle. It's really fun if you have a group of folks.

and yeah the BBQ joint at Busch is top tier theme park food. Especially if you get the all you can eat pass for the day. Just hit that place twice and you won't be able to move (which is counter productive to the theme park thing but goddamn it is good)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pro tip for eating at a theme park

Go to Publix, get some subs and put them in a cooler

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

CelticPredator posted:

Pro tip for eating at a theme park

Go to PublixOrder Publix delivered to your resort, get some subs and put them in a cooler

Fixed

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I mean, if you’re at UO there’s literally a Publix on Universal Blvd right across from EU, you can basically walk there (not that I’d recommend it because people drive like maniacs)

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm a big food guy (Being diabetic makes you both love and hate food a lot) and I love stuff that is food referenced in different movies/shows. Is there some amazing food at WDW any of the resorts that has a movie connection? I heard about the "Grey Stuff" at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant but I had heard it's not that great. Post your favorite dishes and their connections!

Please.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Diabetic posted:

I'm a big food guy (Being diabetic makes you both love and hate food a lot) and I love stuff that is food referenced in different movies/shows. Is there some amazing food at WDW any of the resorts that has a movie connection? I heard about the "Grey Stuff" at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant but I had heard it's not that great. Post your favorite dishes and their connections!

Please.

Get the blue milk at Galaxy's Edge. Not sure if you can do alcohol but the blue with alcohol is great and really makes you feel embedded in the universe.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Diabetic posted:

Please.

Blue Milk at GE with alcohol. Dole Whip with alcohol (I think AK has this).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Diabetic posted:

Please.
The popcorn in Galaxy's Edge is referred to as "Mantel mix" in Bad Batch, so you can learn that the characters have terrible taste if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Arquinsiel posted:

The popcorn in Galaxy's Edge is referred to as "Mantel mix" in Bad Batch, so you can learn that the characters have terrible taste if you like.

I imagine though most of them being cloned soldiers eating some type of synthetic gruel this would be like meeting Jesus in taste for them.