Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite game when people get weird about animal affection is to apply that same logic to humans.

Are humans capable of affection, or do they just view each other as sources of food, shelter and scritches? Can they genuinely tell one another apart or are they just going by context clues? The worst thing a cat will do is bat a prey animal around; they've never disenfranchised refugees or swindled a pensioner out of their home.

point cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Are you telling me I’m not to scope local politicians for a meal? A succulent, political meal?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
depends on the politician, of course

it is moral, or perhaps even imperative, to eat the rich

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

depends on the politician, of course

it is moral, or perhaps even imperative, to eat the rich

Ulf looks far too bony, leave him for stock

However I think herr Åkesson could work, low and slow.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NB chooses psycho antivaxxer as their second.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2023-02-16-beskyldte-tidligere-minister-for-mord-paa-uskyldige-boern-nu-undskylder-nye

quote:

I juli 2021 skrev den daværende sundhedsminister, at han var på vej til "vaccineland" for at få sit andet vaccinestik, mens hans datter skulle have sit første. I kommentarsporet reagerede Henriette Ergemann skarpt.

- Vaccineland? Hvor er det? Kunne du og alle de andre rablende uansvarlige forældre så ikke flytte til det land og lade os andre få vores liv tilbage? Jeg håber, din datter får saltvand, som du gjorde, men mon ikke? Lige så rablende vanvittig du er, så vil du vel ikke at skade dit eget barn?', skrev Henriette Engemann og fortsatte:

- Hvor meget bliver du betalt for at pushe de skadelige vacciner i børn, der ikke bliver syge eller dør af corona? Jeg glæder mig til retsopgøret.

I en kommentar på Sundhedsstyrelsens Facebook-side kom hun også med en opsigtsvækkende teori om bivirkninger ved corona-vaccinerne.

- Det er godt nok mærkeligt, jeg oplever blødninger, hver gang jeg er sammen med vaccinerede i længere tid, skrev hun ifølge BT.

[...]

TV 2 har også forsøgt at få en kommentar fra partiformand Lars Boje Mathiesen. Det har heller ikke været muligt. Forklaringen er, at han er i Ikea.

anatomi posted:

It wasn't a food thing, 'cause their bowls were always full.

Yeah, about that...

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 16, 2023

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite game when people get weird about animal affection is to apply that same logic to humans.

Are humans capable of affection, or do they just view each other as sources of food, shelter and scritches? Can they genuinely tell one another apart or are they just going by context clues? The worst thing a cat will do is bat a prey animal around; they've never disenfranchised refugees or swindled a pensioner out of their home.

point cats

Cats would defund all public libraries in a heartbeat if they could

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Beeswax posted:

I keep asking for citations but receiving none. What about the cats who live in Hemingway's home? Would they disapprove of public reading?

You might not write a lot with these guys around, but that doesn't preclude already existent books!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sing about cats instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnQ0zEQPu_A

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crespolini posted:

Sort of. Cats find it easy to identify large quadruped mammals like cows or horses, and comparatively difficult to recognize a small bipedal mammal like their owners. Basically the smaller and less-legged something becomes, the worse it gets, until you have them unable to tell a cucumber from a snake.

This is why they're so often distant. They're not sure who you are, and sometimes think you're a hatrack. Or so the studies say, ofc.
The counterpoint to that would be my cat; Randy will knead while lying on top of me and purring, grooming my hair, rub on me (yes, I'm aware this is also a way of transferring scent, but it's still the cat recognizing who they think is family), plus whenever I get home after having been out he'll always trill a bit, and even the classics like slow blinking and bringing gifts (for some reason he thinks socks are very important gifts) and showing his belly as well as giving love bites (though I wish he wouldn't).
Plus, he'll occasionally curl up in bed with me.

All of these are cats ways of showing affection, and I'm sure I've missed several that Randy doesn't do but other cats do.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

point cats
I'm fully on board with the notion that it's the cats who own humans, not the other way around.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
I have gained a newfound admiration for small birds ever since I got the ability to experience more than just the usual talgoxe and pilfink. Here's a list of some good birds you can see at your feeding station if it's located in a forested area quite down in the South:

5. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%B6tv%C3%A4cka Nötväckor are cool and a bit cocky. I like the way they are running up and down the tree, and the black stripe they have covering their eyes is, to me, quite stylish.

4. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenkn%C3%A4ck Stenknäck... Now that's a cool name. And with that beak, you can almost believe it's literal!

3. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steglits Now this one is a beaut. It looks almost exotic with it's yellow and red coloring.

2. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofsmes Now we're talking. Just look at this one. Love that little tuft.

1. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stj%C3%A4rtmes These are so cute. Like a white cute fluffy ball. Impossible not to love!

Will update/reorder list as mood strikes me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Svartmes!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think we should import some Nuria's into Scandinavia.

Yes I know that they're outlawed and hunted to extinction in all of EU for being a potentially invasive species that will eat all of our trees, or whatever, but come on

They're so cute. Just let them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/fhm-snuva-inte-anledning-att-stanna-hemma

Swedish Ministry of Health says that "It's okay to go to work if you have some headache, cold, cough or sore throat. Those mild symptoms are not a good enough reason to not go to work and make our shareholders some more money you prole gently caress.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyway, the best animals are felidae and corvidae, with notable mentions for anatidae, spheniscidae, and ursidae. :tipshat:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/fhm-snuva-inte-anledning-att-stanna-hemma

Swedish Ministry of Health says that "It's okay to go to work if you have some headache, cold, cough or sore throat. Those mild symptoms are not a good enough reason to not go to work and make our shareholders some more money you prole gently caress.

Where do they loving get these clowns, is there like Big Virus or something? Were they paid in alvedon?

One of my colleagues kids is immunocompromised and nearly died during covid, and her and her family did what they could to keep him safe. And yet - paycheck or your kids health. You can have one. Anyway why aren’t people having kids again?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Covid or no, it's not loving ok to go to work sick and infect your colleagues. It should literally be classified as assault. Actually, if I had to pick between being punched in the face by a coworker so I get a black eye or catching a cold at work, I'd pick the punch.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

has there been any good investigative pieces about whats going on over at fhm?

Jack Trades posted:

I think we should import some Nuria's into Scandinavia.

Yes I know that they're outlawed and hunted to extinction in all of EU for being a potentially invasive species that will eat all of our trees, or whatever, but come on

They're so cute. Just let them.

my list of favorite trees was not a joke you monster

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mymla posted:

Covid or no, it's not loving ok to go to work sick and infect your colleagues. It should literally be classified as assault. Actually, if I had to pick between being punched in the face by a coworker so I get a black eye or catching a cold at work, I'd pick the punch.

Well, the government disagrees.

After all, the more frail and old people die from you going to work sick the better, that way we'll be saving a bunch of money from not having to pay those people their pensions and health care.
It's a win/win for people that matter.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tall #1. bästa skogen är en tallskog.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Beeswax posted:

tallskog is the best kind of skog but i like ask (they have a very beautiful, almost tropical appearence during the summer) and sälg (just love their bark, both look and feel) more as individual trees

worst kind of skog is klibbalkärr

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Megamissen posted:

5 hägg
4 alm
3 tall
2 ask
1 sälg

5. Sula nebouxii
4. Parus major
3. Equus asinus
2. Castor canadensis
1. Felis spp.

Hon. Mention: Madoqua kirkii

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 16, 2023

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

All of these are cats ways of showing affection, and I'm sure I've missed several that Randy doesn't do but other cats do.

That may be, but I'm willing to believe you'd see this affection increase ten-fold if you were to scuttle crabwise on all fours, or otherwise break up your human silhouette and movements into something more pleasing.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Beeswax posted:

For real! especially if were talking oldgrowth pine forests. but yeah pines are just gorgeous and grow in really beautiful weird organic shapes in certain environmental conditions. Theyre rugged too, as opposed to their rival the spruces which might as well be named Goldilocks.

And speaking of birds, no scandinavian bird is as gorgeous as the Nötskrika (Eurasian jay).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crespolini posted:

That may be, but I'm willing to believe you'd see this affection increase ten-fold if you were to scuttle crabwise on all fours, or otherwise break up your human silhouette and movements into something more pleasing.
Nah.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Falukorv posted:

And speaking of birds, no scandinavian bird is as gorgeous as the Nötskrika (Eurasian jay).
:agreed:

I have a photo modeling deal with my local ones and this is my favorite shot so far. They drive a hard bargain (cash payment in cold, hard peanuts only) but it's worth every öre.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I started photographing birds as a hobby a couple of years ago and let me tell ya... birds are a-ok.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A politician avoiding the press by claiming to be in Ikea. This is it. We've achieved peak Scandinavian Politics. Savor this moment, thread.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

tallskog is the best kind of skog but i like ask (they have a very beautiful, almost tropical appearence during the summer) and sälg (just love their bark, both look and feel) more as individual trees

worst kind of skog is klibbalkärr

Old beech forests down in Scania are at times ridiculously beautiful, on the level that they look like a set from a fantasy movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Big fan of crows, personally. Clever birds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crespolini posted:

Get naked, scuttle on the floor, and poo poo out a huge tail-like turd.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Ulf, is that you?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Get naked, scuttle on the floor, and poo poo out a huge tail-like turd.

The frog that did this is in the rap sheet of some posters, but I can't remember which. But no one wanted to see a huge tail-like turd anyway.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ulf, is that you?

I’m imagining a Pennywise-sque creature with his head. Hard pass

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Beeswax posted:

Pretty sure cats love libraries, just people sitting around long time on chairs and couches, roaming space everywhere with bookshelfs, plenty of stuff to knock down. All our cats loved bookshelfs.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cats are indifferent to the plight of the LGBTQIA+ community

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cats refuse to recognize Palestine

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
KD consistently polls as the largest party among cat voters

edit: and they want to raise public transport ticket rates by 50%

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

My friend runs a help organization for Ukraine and ETC for some reason decided to run a hit piece against them. Built up of some surprisingly poor journalism.

https://twitter.com/ETC_redaktionen/status/1626189344850558976

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeswax posted:

:words: about cats being jerks
All of these are true, but it doesn't mean cats also aren't capable of showing affection towards their humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I have no opinion about that