Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1625310075505238023?s=20

Famed environmentalist Collin Rugg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

He changed it to that, which should tell you enough.

It really isn't the Nukem that's problematic, it's the von versus the van.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

litany of gulps posted:

It really isn't the Nukem that's problematic, it's the von versus the van.

Please respect Latverian titles of nobility.

Seems weirder to me that Joseph Von Nukem legally made his first name Teddy, instead of Theodore or something.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Rest in Piss.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol that owns

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

why couldnt we collect this vs just blowing it up there?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

They set it on fire, which is the prescribed way to deal with this particular hazardous material in the safest method, they didn't blow it up. This is mainly due to the fact that, since it's natural state is a gas, collection is a bit of an issue after it starts diffusing into the surroundings. Also it has the same flammability rating as propane, so a controlled burn is much preferable to letting it decide when to combust. Especially since it apparently likes to react with metals, while forming peroxides.

A highly flammable gas that is hanging out and creating peroxides while it's waiting to ignite is very, very, bad news.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

that would've cost more than paying the town $25,000 to kill them

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The representatives for this area don’t want to do anything to help their constituents so why don’t other representatives for other areas, who have continually pointed out that deregulation will lead to these outcomes, come help out a group of people that continually heaps poo poo on them, Huh? Why all the hypocrisy you libs?

Is a hell of a take.

Edit: my defund the EPA, FEMA and Environmental Justice T-shirt was only an ironic jest or something.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCNN/status/1625906351867146250?s=20

Frame it. :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FWIW, I looked up wtf vinyl chloride is actually used for since I never heard anyone say and I was curious why we need big trainloads of it

quote:

Vinyl chloride is used primarily to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a hard plastic resin used to make a variety of plastic products, including pipes, wire and cable coatings, and packaging materials. (PVC is not a known or suspected carcinogen.) Vinyl chloride is also produced as a combustion product in tobacco smoke.

Which got me thinking about plastics, especially all the plastic we use for water and beverage bottles. It probably has nothing to do with this train's chemicals but quite often I really wish we'd go back to more aluminum cans. Bottled water in particular really grinds my gears because it's so easy to just use a filter and a refillable bottle. Same with shopping bags for that matter.

Mild derail apology.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

FWIW, I looked up wtf vinyl chloride is actually used for since I never heard anyone say and I was curious why we need big trainloads of it

Which got me thinking about plastics, especially all the plastic we use for water and beverage bottles. It probably has nothing to do with this train's chemicals but quite often I really wish we'd go back to more aluminum cans. Bottled water in particular really grinds my gears because it's so easy to just use a filter and a refillable bottle. Same with shopping bags for that matter.

Mild derail apology.

Water bottles use PET, which isn't AS bad as PVC, but sucks in different and exciting ways.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BiggerBoat posted:

Mild derail apology.

Too soon, man.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Which got me thinking about plastics, especially all the plastic we use for water and beverage bottles. It probably has nothing to do with this train's chemicals but quite often I really wish we'd go back to more aluminum cans.

My friend, the cans are lined with BPA :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lockmat posted:

Next you're going to tell me the frogurt has potassium benzoate

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BiggerBoat posted:

Next you're going to tell me the frogurt has potassium benzoate

…that’s bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lockmat posted:

OK. So....glass?

I guess the move away from glass has to do with shipping weight and durability but, still, I think that's a fair trade off and it irritates me that 95% of things I can buy to drink are in a plastic bottle.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Too soon, man.

Holy poo poo I didn't even mean to do that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It does read like BiggerBoat just admitted to causing the derail, doesn't it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah he just got a little off track.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Whew, I was worried it might turn things toxic!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/john__rosevear/status/1626281222560153602

Oh word?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounds like he needs some sensitivity training

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KButter_22/status/1626630145598423069

Why doesn't the largest mayor simply eat the sma- oh, he did.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

They set it on fire, which is the prescribed way to deal with this particular hazardous material in the safest method, they didn't blow it up. This is mainly due to the fact that, since it's natural state is a gas, collection is a bit of an issue after it starts diffusing into the surroundings. Also it has the same flammability rating as propane, so a controlled burn is much preferable to letting it decide when to combust. Especially since it apparently likes to react with metals, while forming peroxides.

A highly flammable gas that is hanging out and creating peroxides while it's waiting to ignite is very, very, bad news.

Yeah the firefighting protocol for dealing with any large spill of condensed flammable gas is to allow it to burn off in a controlled way because if you fully extinguish the flame, you then generate a flammable gas cloud that wanders around looking for trouble, and if you're really unlucky it will mix to within its explosive limits and you now have a fuel:air bomb.

Firefighting foams are designed to float on top of stuff like LPG and insulate it so it doesn't boil off too fast, but you leave a gap in the middle of the foam blanket where the fire is allowed to continue and gradually burn off the spill, like a flame goatse. Doing this with Vinyl Chloride is probably a lot more tricky than with friendly propane though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

So Teslas drive like Massholes?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Murgos posted:

So Teslas drive like Massholes?

They drive like old people, OP

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1626665046175539224

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

cool so I presume they are going to refund people the 15k for this paid beta as well? lol

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Endjinneer posted:

Yeah the firefighting protocol for dealing with any large spill of condensed flammable gas is to allow it to burn off in a controlled way because if you fully extinguish the flame, you then generate a flammable gas cloud that wanders around looking for trouble, and if you're really unlucky it will mix to within its explosive limits and you now have a fuel:air bomb.

Firefighting foams are designed to float on top of stuff like LPG and insulate it so it doesn't boil off too fast, but you leave a gap in the middle of the foam blanket where the fire is allowed to continue and gradually burn off the spill, like a flame goatse. Doing this with Vinyl Chloride is probably a lot more tricky than with friendly propane though.

The New Pictures Thread: like a flame goatse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OEHRpoDWw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelsluciano/status/1628192418293235713

Not a legal guy but this can't be great for the potential prosecution of Trump

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelsluciano/status/1628192418293235713

Not a legal guy but this can't be great for the potential prosecution of Trump

What exactly is supposed to be the issue here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What exactly is supposed to be the issue here

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1628435089334870019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Can you use your own words to describe why anything she said was an issue that would lead to that outcome?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
uh, this is the picture thread, not the word thread

wait, poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can you use your own words to describe why anything she said was an issue that would lead to that outcome?

Because this is a political issue and not a legal one, the DA has to be the one files the indictments and they are going to be less likely to do that if they think they're going to have to fight tooth and nail and drag themselves over broken glass to do so.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

uh, this is the picture thread, not the word thread

wait, poo poo

>1000 words is OK

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I'm more weirded out by the fact that she is (apparently) allowed to disclose anything about the proceedings, but maybe that's not unusual for whatever type of process this is?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/strickdc/status/1628371332059607040

Deep institutional rot for this to happen, so many people had to look the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1628505949005836288?s=20

The president has arrived!