Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Oracle posted:

Well poop. I like tamarind dip for my samosas. :(

As always it's a matter of dosage. I don't recall what the actual concentrations were, you might be able to track down some data elsewhere. I assume that tamarind produced in the US (and some other places) where the processing is better regulated is much less bad. I think the stuff we tested was mostly from Mexico. I don't know if the FDA tests for that kind of stuff in domestic produce or not. My hunch is it's probably like tuna where it's fine to consume in limited quantities but you probably don't want to slam a pint of imported tamarind dip every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oracle posted:

I thought it was charging you the ten cents per can up front that you’re supposed to get back when you recycle them. I also remember hearing they were cracking down on people bringing cans in from out of state to get that sweet ten cent deposit and actually costing the program money.

Honestly Michigan should be a model for the nation with their recycling program. It was a great way to make money as a kid, collecting beer cans off the side of the road.

for a moment I read that as "off the side of the world" and I nodded sagely, "yes that is probably how Michigan works"

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Artonos posted:

There's a lot of room to be better with water policy in the USA. But, municipally supplied water is way more regulated than most other industries. East Palestine uses well water from aquifers so I doubt that drinking water would be a concern with a leak into rivers.

Google pfas in orange juice or lead in chocolate for some interesting recent cases. That I think should probably be a bigger deal nationally.

I would recommend some kind of carbon filter for drinking water no matter where you are. PFAS is literally everywhere now just fyi to anyone out there.

Just the two cents of me.

Yeah, I did an internship in a local water treatment plant in college and took some water treatment classes & got some intro level water treatment/distribution licensing and potable water treatment & distribution is pretty darn good at making perfectly safe tap water. It's extremely regulated as you mention, the technology & automation involved is all pretty uncomplicated, and there's generally a bunch of mandatory testing including lots of public reporting. groundwater & other hard water sources can have some taste issues due to dissolved minerals but most of the time any taste issues people complain about are being caused by their house pipes - old grody corroded galvanized water pipe and stuff like that.

Like Fritz mentioned testing water in parks early in the morning - you actually go around doing that sort of testing (usually chlorine residual & a simple bacteria dip slide) regularly if you're working at a water treatment plant because you're required to maintain certain residual levels, etc. As an aside, it's actually somewhat of an issue in commercial real estate with WFH and occupancy falling off a cliff, because water lines sit unused in buildings and you can get lots of big bad problems if you don't have any chlorine and it just sits in a line for months and months.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'd be real interested in informed takes on that!

So I can give some background on the history of the DOT haz rules:

First differentiate between the EPA and the regulation of hazardous material in transit. These are different things. Not knowing so much about EPA, I’ll go into a brief overview of the history DOT regulations in 49CFR and their history.

So when the Titanic sinks that causes a British effort to make an international treaty for the Safety of Life at Sea. It gets derailed a bit by the first world war, but they keep chugging along then the US just really isn’t interested in the interwar period. World war II happens and ends and the US is left with assloads of merchant ships built for the war and starts to boom as an international shipping power. After the war the cold war starts kicking off. The US gives some of these ships away to European nations to help rebuild. One of these ships the Benjamin R. Curtis gets given to the French and becomes the SS Grandcamp.

Now some of you know where this going already. But first pause for a moment and consider the post war situation. Most of the ships out there are American built and standardized. Think the Liberty ships the Victory ships, the T-2 tankers, etc. The US still has the strong war era merchant marine. Anyway back to Texas City. The Grandcamp, being operated by the French Line has ammonium nitrate and ammunition loaded onboard. Fire starts in a cargo hold. Not wanting to ruin cargo they try to fight it by closing the hold and using steam. Oops, boom. If you want a sense of how bad this is look for the ammonium nitrate explosion in Beirut. The blast blows another ship away (the High Flyer) from the pier and sets it on fire it also blow up about a half day later, in a bigger explosion.

Anyway this is bad. Really bad ship blows up and blows up nasty chemical plants ashore in explosions that are unfathomably large bad. We need to do something about this bad. The US decides it’s going to sign onto the SOLAS treaty. And it does finally do so in 1952. In that interim period a bunch of things happened. The boards of Underwriters in New York and San Francisco and the Coast Guard they decide they want to have a strong say in hazardous materials and grain stability regulations. They swoop in elbow out the brits mostly (you’ll find no references to this if you go looking) and stick their noses into the writing of the hazardous rules and at the last minute slap together the original grain rules. Remember all those war ships being ours and all being basically the same. They also do some other things I won’t bore you with or doxx myself with .

Anyway as a treaty SOLAS in not self enforcing. Each signatory nation has to enact laws to enforce. So the US has to write and pass a poo poo load of laws after signing onto SOLAS. These mostly end up in 30, 33, and importantly to this discussion 49 CFR. It’s this title VII of SOLAS that really gives 49 CFR it’s structure. This frame work gets expanded and integrated with the laws already existing that governed the other two modes (rail and road). So Title VII of Solas international treaty mixed up with the road and rail rules that’s 49CFR. Anyway also occurring simultaneously (signed 48, in force 58) is the creation of IMCO (which later becomes the IMO https://www.imo.org/en/About/HistoryOfIMO/Pages/Default.aspx)

Eventually IMO fully takes over the writing of the rules for SOLAS as an international body that is part of the UN. Eventually IMO leads to the IMDG International Marine Dangerous Goods code and the BC (bulk cargo) code. And then the IMSBC (International Marine Solid Bulk Cargo code). The IMDG is the international rules for the carriage of hazardous materials on ships in containers. Over the years there remain little gaps between 49 CFR and the IMDG, they were close but with some differences around the edges. 99% of the time the tables were interchangeable.

Continuing on the US side under Norman Mineta (remember that guy he made the call to ground all the planes on 9/11) you get the Special Programs Act of 2004, which establishes RSPA (the research wing for haz in DOT) and PHMSA (pipeline hazardous material safety administration). PHMSA takes over the rules process of 49CFR. That’s the government organization that runs it now. Anyway under Obama Pipeline starts harmonizing to bring 49 CFR into harmony with the IMDG code and rules are put in place to allow the use of IMDG for international intermodal shipments that start / stop / or transit in the US instead of 49 CFR.

So that’s where these rules come from. Mostly these days the important changes occur at IMO in meetings about the IMDG. Boring technical experts that work for governments and not for profits, that have first hand extensive in the field experience on vessels and / or enforcing the rules.

The rail (and road and air) rules are subsections of this larger maritime frame work that is mostly shaped by an independent international body of experts.

That’s where the hazardous rules come from.

But onto something else

Anyway when I see something like this:

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1625875297483763712?s=20

What is it? Koos this is why I was asking that question earlier. There is a predictable human response to events like this. There is research on it. I think that specific folks know that. And they are intentionally pushing on those predictable human responses. It also just happens to be what right wing fascist radicals are pushing on (eg. The MTG tweet). Some of those folks doing this are from here (our falcon shithead above) and some are from the right wing parts of early anonymous. They look for that real human reaction to events like this and try to amplify and distort those reactions.

I want folks who are experiencing normal human reactions to bad events like this to know that’s happening.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 16, 2023

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this account is run by goon Martin Random and is very much a "i think it is very fun and cool to make things up and see who believes it / starts repeating it" account

to whoever out there read this tweet and believed it, you've been epically trolled by a former GBS superstar

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

It's kind of unfortunate that 5 cent deposits have been so normalized that they never changed. It should be like a quarter now at least.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

to whoever out there read this tweet and believed it, you've been epically trolled by a former GBS superstar

Yes exactly that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jesus America 71 mass shootings so far this year, what's the rush, save something for christmas

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I do not know what is going on in Phil Murphy's head, but there are a couple articles out now that are trying to play him as running for President in 2024/28.

https://apnews.com/article/ron-desantis-phil-murphy-trenton-new-jersey-florida-6a1481db626786bccaf2f60bbacf7f51

quote:

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy said Tuesday that his administration is expanding Advanced Placement African American Studies courses next year from one school to 26 in New Jersey after Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis blocked the course from being taught in public schools in Florida.

Murphy’s move comes about a month after the administration of DeSantis, a potential presidential candidate, declared without citing any evidence that the course violates state law and isn’t historically accurate.

Murphy cited Florida as he unveiled the course expansion Tuesday during a visit to a Newark high school alongside state education officials and Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, saying DeSantis is prioritizing “political culture wars” over academics.

“New Jersey will proudly teach our kids that Black History is American History,” Murphy said in a statement. “While the DeSantis Administration stated that AP African American Studies ‘significantly lacks educational value’, New Jersey will stand on the side of teaching our full history.”

Newark Schools Superintendent Roger Leon embraced the expansion. Six schools in his district will teach the course in the 2023-2024 school year.

“The study of African American History, as a discrete field, is important to gaining a deeper, fuller understanding of United States History,” Leon said.

New Jersey’s statewide learning standards already required some diversity education in lessons, requirements that were expanded in 2021 under a state law requiring districts to incorporate instruction on diversity and inclusion.

Murphy also targeted DeSantis during his January state of the state address, criticizing his comments that Florida is where “woke goes to die.”

As for Murphy’s own presidential ambitions, he has said he’ll back President Joe Biden if he runs for reelection, leaving open the possibility he could consider running if not.

Murphy has always struck me as a painfully generic Dem on many of this issues, although my mom and stepdad are happy they got their weed cards in NJ last month.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fwiw I don’t think the falcon account is Martin random, unless I’m missing a smoking gun.

He’s absolutely at least someone who dredges cspam for content tho.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a political self-own this big

She was given many chances to recall the nomination and she kept doubling down

She's way less savvy than George W. Bush. When he saw his nominee for the Supreme Court was in trouble, he pulled her. He didn't insist the senate vote on her.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

alf_pogs posted:

jesus America 71 mass shootings so far this year, what's the rush, save something for christmas

Was there another one? Only double digits seem to make it to non-American news these days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Right-wingers distrust official narratives because of imaginary, easily disproven lies and conspiracies against them, left-wingers distrust official narratives generally because of real, verifiable and frequently outright officially admitted lies and conspiracies against them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oracle posted:

I thought it was charging you the ten cents per can up front that you’re supposed to get back when you recycle them. I also remember hearing they were cracking down on people bringing cans in from out of state to get that sweet ten cent deposit and actually costing the program money.

Honestly Michigan should be a model for the nation with their recycling program. It was a great way to make money as a kid, collecting beer cans off the side of the road.

That's essentially it, yes. You pay the ten cents per item up front, so like a 12 pack costs 1.20 extra. As for the out of state ones I think I've heard of them doing that but I don't see how they are going to really enforce it unless it's someone doing massive amounts of it.

Like you said, it's a great way to keep recyclable cans and bottles in recycling, because ten cents is a huge amount of money to a kid. When I was one we would go camping on a popular tubing/canoeing river and we'd spend hours just fishing dropped cans out of the water. I probably recycled at least a thousand cans over six years from that, which is a lot of environmental cleanup that the government doesn't have to pay for. And when you grow up here the idea of just chucking a can in the trash feels like just throwing money away.

It's a great program because technically it's a punative tax. You are paying for this thing and unless you go out of your way to get the money back it's lost. But it doesn't really feel like that because it feels like you are *making* money by returning cans, even when in reality you are just getting back a refund for what you already spent in the first place.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Oracle posted:

All the beer and liquor bottles on the side of the road are a result of open container laws, they don't prevent drinking and driving but do promote littering. I still think a can and bottle deposit would be a great idea and help reduce waste.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Right-wingers distrust official narratives because of imaginary, easily disproven lies and conspiracies against them, left-wingers distrust official narratives generally because of real, verifiable and frequently outright officially admitted lies and conspiracies against them.

Yeah, but it's also a predictable human response to automatically assume anything that disagrees with you is simply bad faith acting by your ideological enemies and a personal attack against you regardless of the source.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Fwiw I don’t think the falcon account is Martin random, unless I’m missing a smoking gun.

i can't post the receipts but there's an old dead offsite where he openly claims ownership of the account. that'll be the last i'll post of it because this is veering from relevant to the discussion to chatting about posters

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Whether deliberate conspiracy or merely dovetailing of capitalism with other dehumanizing reactionary viewpoints, the NYT is working hard to brew up a genocide against trans people.

https://twitter.com/tuckwoodstock/status/1626211754677252098?s=20

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Whether deliberate conspiracy or merely dovetailing of capitalism with other dehumanizing reactionary viewpoints, the NYT is working hard to brew up a genocide against trans people.

A lot of words that could be debunked in 2-3 tweets

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Name Change posted:

A lot of words that could be debunked in 2-3 tweets

I don't follow sorry.

Tweets still generally suggest short form, so maybe you could just write the words that would be in those tweets to help us get what you are saying?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So I can give some background on the history of the DOT haz rules:

First differentiate between the EPA and the regulation of hazardous material in transit. These are different things. Not knowing so much about EPA, I’ll go into a brief overview of the history DOT regulations in 49CFR and their history.

So when the Titanic sinks that causes a British effort to make an international treaty for the Safety of Life at Sea. It gets derailed a bit by the first world war, but they keep chugging along then the US just really isn’t interested in the interwar period. World war II happens and ends and the US is left with assloads of merchant ships built for the war and starts to boom as an international shipping power. After the war the cold war starts kicking off. The US gives some of these ships away to European nations to help rebuild. One of these ships the Benjamin R. Curtis gets given to the French and becomes the SS Grandcamp.

Now some of you know where this going already. But first pause for a moment and consider the post war situation. Most of the ships out there are American built and standardized. Think the Liberty ships the Victory ships, the T-2 tankers, etc. The US still has the strong war era merchant marine. Anyway back to Texas City. The Grandcamp, being operated by the French Line has ammonium nitrate and ammunition loaded onboard. Fire starts in a cargo hold. Not wanting to ruin cargo they try to fight it by closing the hold and using steam. Oops, boom. If you want a sense of how bad this is look for the ammonium nitrate explosion in Beirut. The blast blows another ship away (the High Flyer) from the pier and sets it on fire it also blow up about a half day later, in a bigger explosion.

Anyway this is bad. Really bad ship blows up and blows up nasty chemical plants ashore in explosions that are unfathomably large bad. We need to do something about this bad. The US decides it’s going to sign onto the SOLAS treaty. And it does finally do so in 1952. In that interim period a bunch of things happened. The boards of Underwriters in New York and San Francisco and the Coast Guard they decide they want to have a strong say in hazardous materials and grain stability regulations. They swoop in elbow out the brits mostly (you’ll find no references to this if you go looking) and stick their noses into the writing of the hazardous rules and at the last minute slap together the original grain rules. Remember all those war ships being ours and all being basically the same. They also do some other things I won’t bore you with or doxx myself with .

Anyway as a treaty SOLAS in not self enforcing. Each signatory nation has to enact laws to enforce. So the US has to write and pass a poo poo load of laws after signing onto SOLAS. These mostly end up in 30, 33, and importantly to this discussion 49 CFR. It’s this title VII of SOLAS that really gives 49 CFR it’s structure. This frame work gets expanded and integrated with the laws already existing that governed the other two modes (rail and road). So Title VII of Solas international treaty mixed up with the road and rail rules that’s 49CFR. Anyway also occurring simultaneously (signed 48, in force 58) is the creation of IMCO (which later becomes the IMO https://www.imo.org/en/About/HistoryOfIMO/Pages/Default.aspx)

Eventually IMO fully takes over the writing of the rules for SOLAS as an international body that is part of the UN. Eventually IMO leads to the IMDG International Marine Dangerous Goods code and the BC (bulk cargo) code. And then the IMSBC (International Marine Solid Bulk Cargo code). The IMDG is the international rules for the carriage of hazardous materials on ships in containers. Over the years there remain little gaps between 49 CFR and the IMDG, they were close but with some differences around the edges. 99% of the time the tables were interchangeable.

Continuing on the US side under Norman Mineta (remember that guy he made the call to ground all the planes on 9/11) you get the Special Programs Act of 2004, which establishes RSPA (the research wing for haz in DOT) and PHMSA (pipeline hazardous material safety administration). PHMSA takes over the rules process of 49CFR. That’s the government organization that runs it now. Anyway under Obama Pipeline starts harmonizing to bring 49 CFR into harmony with the IMDG code and rules are put in place to allow the use of IMDG for international intermodal shipments that start / stop / or transit in the US instead of 49 CFR.

So that’s where these rules come from. Mostly these days the important changes occur at IMO in meetings about the IMDG. Boring technical experts that work for governments and not for profits, that have first hand extensive in the field experience on vessels and / or enforcing the rules.

The rail (and road and air) rules are subsections of this larger maritime frame work that is mostly shaped by an independent international body of experts.

That’s where the hazardous rules come from.

But onto something else

Anyway when I see something like this:

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1625875297483763712?s=20

What is it? Koos this is why I was asking that question earlier. There is a predictable human response to events like this. There is research on it. I think that specific folks know that. And they are intentionally pushing on those predictable human responses. It also just happens to be what right wing fascist radicals are pushing on (eg. The MTG tweet). Some of those folks doing this are from here (our falcon shithead above) and some are from the right wing parts of early anonymous. They look for that real human reaction to events like this and try to amplify and distort those reactions.

I want folks who are experiencing normal human reactions to bad events like this to know that’s happening.

That was a great and informative post. The history behind that is something I know basically nothing about, so I really enjoyed it.

Thank you for the effort post.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

pencilhands posted:

It's kind of unfortunate that 5 cent deposits have been so normalized that they never changed. It should be like a quarter now at least.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

?? wrong thread? User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Oracle posted:

Replying to a post 5 posts back. Thanks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't follow sorry.

Tweets still generally suggest short form, so maybe you could just write the words that would be in those tweets to help us get what you are saying?

I'm pretty sure Name Change is referring to the op ed being a lot of words that could be debunked with 2-3 JKR tweets.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Harold Fjord posted:

Their response is unbelievably infuriating:

https://www.niemanlab.org/2023/02/new-york-times-contributors-glaad-and-many-others-criticize-times-coverage-of-trans-people/

quote:

We received the open letter delivered by GLAAD and welcome their feedback. We understand how GLAAD and the co-signers of the letter see our coverage. But at the same time, we recognize that GLAAD’s advocacy mission and The Times’s journalistic mission are different.

As a news organization, we pursue independent reporting on transgender issues that include profiling groundbreakers in the movement, challenges and prejudice faced by the community, and how society is grappling with debates about care.

The very news stories criticized in their letter reported deeply and empathetically on issues of care and well-being for trans teens and adults. Our journalism strives to explore, interrogate and reflect the experiences, ideas and debates in society — to help readers understand them. Our reporting did exactly that and we’re proud of it.

Just the worst kind of corporate doublespeak. They're really doing their best to import British-style TERFism into liberal circles.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm pretty sure Name Change is referring to the op ed being a lot of words that could be debunked with 2-3 JKR tweets.

Oh word. Her tweets are terrible. Americans have had a lot of fun blatantly libelling her after she bullied some UK trans kid into taking down a rather anodyne tweet about her being a piece of poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DarkCrawler posted:

Was there another one? Only double digits seem to make it to non-American news these days.

Yes. There was one at a college in Michigan.

8 people shot, 3 dead, 5 hospitalized.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

pencilhands posted:

?? wrong thread? User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Replying to a post 5 posts back. Thanks.

yes, that was an error

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s absolutely infuriating that they are turning a civil rights issue into a ‘discussion’. I’m glad that those people wrote the open letter, but I’m not at all surprised that the NYT response essentially stands by what they’re doing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Oh word. Her tweets are terrible. Americans have had a lot of fun blatantly libelling her after she bullied some UK trans kid into taking down a rather anodyne tweet about her being a piece of poo poo

Yeah not really trying to pick a fight.

The game with TERFs is acing like they're being victimized by misogynists and subject to witch hunts for their beliefs--trans people are just too angry that I don't recognize their right to self-identity, you see, or that I spend all of my time on the Internet vilifying attempts to protect them.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s absolutely infuriating that they are turning a civil rights issue into a ‘discussion’. I’m glad that those people wrote the open letter, but I’m not at all surprised that the NYT response essentially stands by what they’re doing
Yeah, the NYT has consistently been on the wrong side of drat near every huge issue in the name of "debate" or "journalism" or whatever. Everyone's seen the Hitler op-eds, etc.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't this kind of handwringing Journalistic Mission type poo poo used to initially defend running the tom cotton "fascism is good and makes me quiver with murderlust" op-ed before they oopsed it into the trash bin and fired the editorial page editor

Like it was the same kind of defense generally or nah

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden is going to give a speech and hold a press conference about the UFOs that were shot down.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1626204758020071424

He is expected to announce/do the following:

- Have his National Security Advisor work with agencies to develop rules for handling unidentified and unmanned flying objects that cross U.S. airspace. The USA does not currently have any specific procedures for that. This includes shooting down some objects sooner and letting other just float by. With standards in place, people should know what to do without having to call the army or White House every time.

- Announce that the U.S. Air Force adjusted its radar technique after the first balloon was discovered because they realized that they were unable to detect slow-moving objects at very high heights. That is partially why they found so many more so quickly after the initial balloon. It also means that they have failed to detect many more over the years.

- Announce the results of the analysis of the wreckage of the first balloon. It was confirmed to have surveillance equipment, but they don't believe that any major information was gleamed by the balloon.

- Have the FAA crack down on unregistered commercial drone use at altitudes used by planes.

- Confirm 100% that the last three UFOs were not aliens. He will also commit to publicly disclosing all the information about the other 3 UFOs that they suspect are benign/commercial drones once they recover the debris and analyze it.

- Confirm that the U.S. is not under threat and that they will not let China violate U.S. airspace, but that this occurrence was minor and will not impact the U.S.-China relationship at all.

- Outline the ways that the new radar detection settings will allow them to prevent people from using slower moving objects to drop items undetected and that the U.S. is actually safer now.

- Provide further details about the other UFOs and previous incidents where low-speed flying objects crossed into U.S. airspace, but were not detected until later.

One of the details is that the F-22 pilot that shot down the UFO over lake Huron actually missed the first missile shot (lmao), but they prevented it from detonating and it went directly into the lake to be recovered.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 16, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Staluigi posted:

Wasn't this kind of handwringing Journalistic Mission type poo poo used to initially defend running the tom cotton "fascism is good and makes me quiver with murderlust" op-ed before they oopsed it into the trash bin and fired the editorial page editor

Like it was the same kind of defense generally or nah
I believe so. It’s just very interesting how they hide behind ‘journalism’ and ‘airing both sides’ of an issue, but conveniently never have ardent Communists or other far-left people have prominent op-eds.

Like if you are just going to have open public debate in your paper then do it, but I’ve never heard of any far left people getting those kinds of prominent spots. However, it sure seems like they are perfectly willing to put war criminals and bigots in their paper.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe so. It’s just very interesting how they hide behind ‘journalism’ and ‘airing both sides’ of an issue, but conveniently never have ardent Communists or other far-left people have prominent op-eds.

Like if you are just going to have open public debate in your paper then do it, but I’ve never heard of any far left people getting those kinds of prominent spots. However, it sure seems like they are perfectly willing to put war criminals and bigots in their paper.
Scratch a liberal, etc. The New York Times above-all liberal bourgeois in ideology,. Fascists can be fellow travelers in the project, while leftists cannot.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Harold Fjord posted:

The NYT is a fascist rag

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

They've let leftists write pro-leftism (and even openly pro-communism) pieces for the opinion pages from time to time. It's just that those articles don't really stir up any meaningful outrage, so they mostly pass by without being noticed by the larger media commentary ecosystem.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
It's another perverse incentivization. Like how we keep getting these lying rear end headlines that I know we all hate.

Now replace the hate with a book

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's not actually too surprising because they're in a situation where you will be accused (accurately) of omitting views representative of the largest cohesive social and political power base in the US if they don't occasionally leave the floor open to at least a little deranged nationalist hyperconservative poo poo and haven't figured out why it's better not to give them compulsory timeshare especially considering they will be derided as leftist fake newsmedia by the right either way. You don't get the same issue by omitting the left since they're generally politically marginal

What helps make it not make sense again is that they won't omit marginal rightist or libertarian views. They come on by and get their time. It's just the left

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

They've let leftists write pro-leftism (and even openly pro-communism) pieces for the opinion pages from time to time. It's just that those articles don't really stir up any meaningful outrage, so they mostly pass by without being noticed by the larger media commentary ecosystem.
Totally insignificant compared to the number of conservative/"just asking questions" columns. Just look at their roster of regular columnists, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

NYT's conservatives are generally uncomfortable pre-Trump conservatives who still hold execrable views but are waiting patiently and in vain for conservative voters to return to comfortable neoconservatism. It's a lot more tedious than say, Washington Post conservatives, who just write what they are told.