Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

nah i mean over syria

quote:

In 2019, the Princeton University-linked journal Science & Global Security, on whose editorial board Ted Postol sat,[156] intended to publish a paper titled "Computational Forensic Analysis for the Chemical Weapons Attack at Khan Sheikhoun on 4 April 2017" written by Goong Chen, Cong Gu, Postol, Alexey Sergeev, Sanyang Liu, Pengfei Yao and Marlan O. Scully. The article questioned the findings of the UN/OPCW investigation which concluded that the Assad regime had used sarin.[157] The report's arguments were rebutted in a Bellingcat article that detailed inconsistencies and anomalies in the report's analysis.[158] In response to the Bellingcat article, the editors of Science & Global Security said “Regrettably, the Bellingcat group blog post contains a number of incorrect statements about the contents and conclusions of the paper to be published. Some of the statements appear to refer to an earlier manuscript and do not take account of all the changes made during the peer review and editorial process managed by this journal”.[157] The journal later decided not to publish the paper.[157][159]

I think in the original claim that only one bomb was used, and there was heavy debate about if the area it was hit was inhabited. If you are going to use sarin, I don't know why you would use one munition containing it in an area of relatively minor military value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ardennes posted:

I think in the original claim that only one bomb was used, and there was heavy debate about if the area it was hit was inhabited. If you are going to use sarin, I don't know why you would use one munition containing it in an area of relatively minor military value.

to show that they could use on an area of major military value

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freezer posted:

Couldn't they have waited a week to make it look less obvious?

Actually nevermind, it's pretty obvious why bombed the pipeline and there's no consequences anyway.

America could have openly said we blew it up and our allies would double down on supporting us.

Pretending otherwise is for the civilians.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1626225060263645185?t=Y82Pn1tmPiq9sOppHc8IZQ

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/snarwani/status/1626202559416246273?t=Lve1Dzw9g1snBNIE9u19Ng

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/pawelwargan/status/1626193397013790720?t=L_k3wT-K2GVg0EEU_y5Jcw&s=19

western diplomacy!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lol the one late guy. also i hear a throatwarble in that :tinfoil:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i mean if you think 500,000 iraqi kids dying from sanctions while saddam was perfectly fine is too slow for you go off i gues...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

i mean if you think 500,000 iraqi kids dying from sanctions while saddam was perfectly fine is too slow for you go off i gues...

those kids should have overthrown saddam.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/pawelwargan/status/1626193397013790720?t=L_k3wT-K2GVg0EEU_y5Jcw&s=19
western diplomacy!

this guy doesn't know his poisons very well. seems foolhardy to use poison analogies poorly against the poisonmaster guy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1626228431246745601

:(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wait wasnt albania ruled by italy at that time

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

wait wasnt albania ruled by italy at that time

After Italy surrendered in 1943, it fell (urban areas at least) under German control.

It is something to say weird sociopathic statements that actually you can't follow up on. "I would poison your kids...if I could hold my job at Burger King."

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Feb 16, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1626169815621677056

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Russian heads of industry need to start living on the ground floor.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i work in a building with no windows, the russkies will never get me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Russians really need to stop having Eric Clapton design their buildings

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1626174662999777281

thankfully we live in a free country so no one will ever arrest me for reposting articles

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Majorian posted:

Buddy you just talked yourself out of a sale.:colbert:

Well I got news for you...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1626174662999777281

thankfully we live in a free country so no one will ever arrest me for reposting articles

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Russians really need to stop having Eric Clapton design their buildings

Lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Look my dudes, the line doesn't go straight through the dots. Therefore, the US did not blow up Nordstream.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1626232643716268039?t=MIzfqrKuE3FZUw59CSkBvg

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I took the opportunity to check the naval journals, and whoops, Russia is getting in gear WARSHIP NAMED AFTER A TSAR REPRESENTS RUSSIA’S POST-COLD WAR ENDURANCE AGAINST THE ODDS, RUSSIA MOVES TO SECURE ITS GLOBAL FLANKS, FROM THE GLOW OF THE COLD WAR’S THAW TO A NEW FREEZE & FEARS OF HOT CONFLICT.

Yeltsin bought the west a decade and half and now they have to deal with both this and the PLAN in a way they never had to before.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
POST-COLD WAR RUSSIAN WARSHIP SUCKED ME OFF??

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

POST-COLD WAR RUSSIAN WARSHIP SUCKED ME OFF??

British journals run headlines like tabloids, it's one of the weirder things.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
USN new designs went bad, but they’re just gonna keep building proven Burkes and the new constellation FFG is a proven design from overseas, just with some slight differences.

Hopefully they avoid going Zummwalt or LCS mode again.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like the russians will finally take bahmut, but a heavy cost and it's not really netting them much strategically. I wonder if this will end up being seen as successfull delaying action in retrospect by the ukrainians, tying the russians down while they mobilize and train new troops and new equipment arrives from the west.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/16/ukraine-defenses-russia-bakhmut-war/

Even if Ukrainian troops give up on their ferocious defense of Bakhmut — a fight that has assumed more symbolic than strategic value, according to military experts — Russia lacks the trained troops and weaponry to rush headlong into the wider Donetsk region.

[...]

It has happened before. Russian forces last summer took the nearby city of Lysychansk, just over the border in the Luhansk region, after battering it for weeks, and got as far as Lyman 36 miles west, in Donetsk. But they lost Lyman in Ukraine’s counteroffensive last fall. Bakhmut, the next major target in Moscow’s plan to conquer all of southeastern Ukraine, is 37 miles west of Lysychansk and still not firmly in Russia’s grip after months of fighting.

The soldiers here expect the same grinding dynamic to continue, with Russia throwing mostly untrained conscripts at the new Ukrainian defensive positions as they have in the bloody streets of Bakhmut.

[...]

Moscow is desperate for a symbolic victory to reverse months of humiliating defeats during Ukrainian counteroffensives in Kharkiv and Kherson.

[...]

Ukrainians, meanwhile, are hailing their fighters’ scrappy defense of Bakhmut as another modern Thermopylae, akin to the holdouts who refused to give up the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol for weeks before the Russians took the city in May.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

USN new designs went bad, but they’re just gonna keep building proven Burkes and the new constellation FFG is a proven design from overseas, just with some slight differences.

Hopefully they avoid going Zummwalt or LCS mode again.

Which one is more profitable?

mila kunis posted:

Looks like the russians will finally take bahmut, but a heavy cost and it's not really netting them much strategically. I wonder if this will end up being seen as successfull delaying action in retrospect by the ukrainians, tying the russians down while they mobilize and train new troops and new equipment arrives from the west.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/16/ukraine-defenses-russia-bakhmut-war/

Even if Ukrainian troops give up on their ferocious defense of Bakhmut — a fight that has assumed more symbolic than strategic value, according to military experts — Russia lacks the trained troops and weaponry to rush headlong into the wider Donetsk region.

[...]

It has happened before. Russian forces last summer took the nearby city of Lysychansk, just over the border in the Luhansk region, after battering it for weeks, and got as far as Lyman 36 miles west, in Donetsk. But they lost Lyman in Ukraine’s counteroffensive last fall. Bakhmut, the next major target in Moscow’s plan to conquer all of southeastern Ukraine, is 37 miles west of Lysychansk and still not firmly in Russia’s grip after months of fighting.

The soldiers here expect the same grinding dynamic to continue, with Russia throwing mostly untrained conscripts at the new Ukrainian defensive positions as they have in the bloody streets of Bakhmut.

[...]

Moscow is desperate for a symbolic victory to reverse months of humiliating defeats during Ukrainian counteroffensives in Kharkiv and Kherson.

[...]

Ukrainians, meanwhile, are hailing their fighters’ scrappy defense of Bakhmut as another modern Thermopylae, akin to the holdouts who refused to give up the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol for weeks before the Russians took the city in May.

It's weird that it is critically important when reporting on Ukraine's dogged defence and irrelevant when the defence fails.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mila kunis posted:

hahahahah

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
okay mila is doing a bit and has owned us

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

fact check: Russia has completely run out of ammo, tanks, and men, several times. TRUE

analysis: due to an unfortunate integer overflow issue, Russia now has the maximum possible value of ammo, tanks, and men.

the takeaway: this is good news for Ukrainian forces, as 30% of all Russian tanks are captured by Ukraine.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I think it's interesting the way that the internet has affected the way homefront perceives the war, and I wonder if it's affecting Russian decision making.

In any previous war, if a company armored attack ran into a minefield outside the staging area and lost a dozen vehicles to artillery fire it would be a misfortune of war that ultimately wouldn't rise above operational significance. Now it's blasted around the international media and amateurs on Telegram with millions of followers spend weeks demanding their own stupid reforms get put in place, not understanding that these sorts of grisly incidents are going to happen if you want to make a breakthrough in a peer war. And of course, it'd be very difficult for the MoD to just say the truth, which is that men and materiel are to a degree expendable, poo poo happens in war, and if you can't accept your soldiers dying you shouldn't fight the war.

It makes the Ukrainian media strategy of lying about, denying, and blacking out coverage of their losses seem like the much better option.

Рыбарь posted:

🇷🇺🇺🇦 After yesterday's release of the Rybar's Analysis program and the mention of the incident with the convoy near Ugledar, several questions were received in the feedback at once, why can't the Russian Armed Forces just hit the area with Grads and bombs for mine clearance?

The problem is that even several released MLRS packages cannot be guaranteed to make a safe passage in a minefield, if only because of the large expansion of unguided missiles. And in conditions of a certain shortage of shells, no one will spend the already not endless ammunition on such things.

To combat the mine threat, there are more effective methods:

▪️Installation of trawls on advanced armored vehicles. Evidence of the use of such devices by Russian troops occasionally appears on the network, including new developments for combating mines with proximity fuses.

▪️The use of special engineering vehicles, like the UR-77. They are able to create wide and relatively long passages by undermining the fired charges.

The issue of demining enemy obstacles is fundamentally solvable. Everything depends on the availability of funds in specific formations, planning and organization of their combat use.
#WSRF #Russia #Ukraine
(from t.me/rybar/43664, via tgsa)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Best Friends posted:

fact check: Russia has completely run out of ammo, tanks, and men, several times. TRUE

analysis: due to an unfortunate integer overflow issue, Russia now has the maximum possible value of ammo, tanks, and men.

the takeaway: this is good news for Ukrainian forces, as 30% of all Russian tanks are captured by Ukraine.

now that's dialectics

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
mila catpetter

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

mila look at Bakhmut on a map and explain why you don't think it's an strategically important objective

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Best Friends posted:

"As 30% of infinity is also infinity, this is fine, as both sides will be equal now, so we just need to give Ukraine some bonus Leopards on top then they will outnumber the Russians and win." - Some columnist somewhere.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

mila look at Bakhmut on a map and explain why you don't think it's an strategically important objective

what conclusion am i supposed to draw from this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mila kunis posted:

ukriane is losing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

mila kunis posted:

I'm asking you. You said it's not netting the Russians much strategically so I'm asking, what makes you think that?