Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does it say how they arrived at that figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Going back to the post about lack of tactical air by the Russians, I wonder if thats the effect of sanctions preventing replacement parts and electronics from being brought into Russia? Those SU-25s may sure look pretty, but if the avionics are hosed because they are out of the right circuit boards and no quick way of replacing them, all they are now are just hanger queens.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I'm not going to copy and paste this entire WSJ article because the title says it all:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-has-deployed-97-of-army-in-ukraine-but-is-struggling-to-advance-u-k-says-91086284?mod=mhp

Russia Has Deployed 97% of Army in Ukraine but Is Struggling to Advance, U.K. Says

I am not casting aspersions on that statement, but that is very difficult to grasp. I want to say there is no way this is possible, but I guess having nukes makes you confident in your ability to maintain territorial integrity no matter what.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't imagine that homesfront support logistics to the actual front can operate with just 3%. That seems hard to believe.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I can't imagine that homesfront support logistics to the actual front can operate with just 3%. That seems hard to believe.

I think maybe we should be reading that statement literally. That is to say, 97% of the army means JUST the army. It doesn't include the Rocket Corps, the Air forces, the Navy, Rail Service, or border guards.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I think maybe we should be reading that statement literally. That is to say, 97% of the army means JUST the army. It doesn't include the Rocket Corps, the Air forces, the Navy, Rail Service, or border guards.

That's a really good point I hadn't considered because I just lumped them all together. Thank you for the insight.

Even 97% of one branch seems crazy to me, but much less insane than my mental picturing the Kremlin being run by four Colonels and a PFC to bring borscht.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A.o.D. posted:

Also, the expansion in size of the army thanks to mobilization probably means they haven't drawn down the absolute numbers inside their borders as much as 97% would suggest.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's a really good point I hadn't considered because I just lumped them all together. Thank you for the insight.

Even 97% of one branch seems crazy to me, but much less insane than my mental picturing the Kremlin being run by four Colonels and a PFC to bring borscht.

I'm in the same boat, even if my reading is correct, it still makes me a little dizzy to conceptualize.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Weren’t there missile silo unit patches spotted earlier though?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also Russia genuinely isn't worried about invasion because they know, deep down, it's not going to happen.

Like Japan isn't going to invade the Kurils or wherever even if Russia movies literally everyone out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I could see that being correct in some painfully parsed out way, like there's 97%of the equivalent manpower to the pre-2022 combat branches of the Russian army in theater right now.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also Russia genuinely isn't worried about invasion because they know, deep down, it's not going to happen.

Like Japan isn't going to invade the Kurils or wherever even if Russia movies literally everyone out.

China needs to retake Vladivostok

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chinese continent has been my pet theory for a while

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
What if they mean 97% of Russian forces aligned on/near/in Ukraine? I could see them having committed 97% of all forces that they have allocated for their invasion of Ukraine, but not 97% of the entire military.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not bad, you made me use 97% of my power

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Something like 60% of their initial active duty Army was involved in the initial invasion. It's not a stretch to imagine that they could get an additional 37% by looking under a few rocks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm thinking it's 97% of available BTGs.They have over 100 of them available, so 1 or 2 each in the Far East and facing Georgia fits with the numbers and ongoing commitments of Russian tactical units. That matches the number given for Ukraine deployments and covers their other at-risk regions.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Tatarstan should try to secede again, it'll be really funny.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Russia calls on the CSTO for aid, gets told to gently caress off...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fearless posted:

Russia calls on the CSTO for aid, gets told to gently caress off...

They already have and already were haha.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

psydude posted:

They already have and already were haha.

Yeah because they all know it will actually kick off world war three and they’re not gonna be on the winning side

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coasterphreak posted:

Yeah because they all know it will actually kick off world war three and they’re not gonna be on the winning side

Its funny how nobody wants to be your ally anymore when you've openly demonstrated that your position as a world military power is no longer deserved and you are just as likely to overthrow your allies as you are your enemies.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cimber posted:

Going back to the post about lack of tactical air by the Russians, I wonder if thats the effect of sanctions preventing replacement parts and electronics from being brought into Russia? Those SU-25s may sure look pretty, but if the avionics are hosed because they are out of the right circuit boards and no quick way of replacing them, all they are now are just hanger queens.
I think it’s more that Ukrainian ground based air defenses are pretty good, the Russian Air Force is fairly casualty-averse since it will have a relatively difficult time replacing its pilots and operational airframes (even Modesto because of sanctions), and that it’s more useful as a force/threat in being than one which gets expended in tactical sorties.

Because the Russian Air Force still exists as a substantial force, Ukraine has to keep a whole bunch of people manning air defenses all over the country that can’t be redeployed nearer to the fighting. It’s kind a of a mutually denied air war right now, which is certainly part of why the fighting has become so grinding and attritional. If either side ( especially Russia) gained air superiority, that could really change things in a big way. I think the main goal of the cruise missile offensive was to knock out civilian infrastructure, but a potentially more dangerous effect is that it exhausts Ukrainian SAM stocks and then suddenly the Russian air force becomes a huge threat which Ukraine doesn’t have a good answer to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What system would Ukraine need in order to start threatening aircraft in Crimea/the Black sea and inside of Russia/Belarus? I remember some folks saying the Patriot isn't really up to the task.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

psydude posted:

What system would Ukraine need in order to start threatening aircraft in Crimea/the Black sea and inside of Russia/Belarus? I remember some folks saying the Patriot isn't really up to the task.

Patriots aren't designed for aircraft, as I recall.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not that that prevented it from blasting a Tornado and an F-18 out of the sky in friendly fire incidents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Israeli's regularly use them against drones so I imagine an aircraft is easily targetable.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Patriot was originally an anti aircraft platform. PAC 3 is missile-only but it can shoot PAC 2 which can target aircraft, I think?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They may be optimized for different intercept geometries, but I don't think the missile particularly cares what the vehicle behind the targeting data you feed it is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Aircraft are the primary thing they were built for. They also can provide ballistic missile defense, but that came along a decade after it was fielded and only was proven acceptable about two decades after it was fielded.

THAAD is ballistic missile pure and cannnot engage or defend itself from aircraft.

in a well actually posted:

Patriot was originally an anti aircraft platform. PAC 3 is missile-only but it can shoot PAC 2 which can target aircraft, I think?

PAC-3 can engage aircraft. PAC-3 MSE as well. There is no missile-pure round for Patriot.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD is ballistic missile pure and cannnot engage or defend itself from aircraft.

So it'd take the Ukrainians what, like a month to get THAADs shooting down airframes? Just going off their track record.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Well, a certain type of munition for the HIMARS or MLRS could threaten planes on the ground in Crimea. Just sayin'.

Also, the Patriot can take down planes because it knows what the target is. It knows what the target is because it knows what the target isn't.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

So it'd take the Ukrainians what, like a month to get THAADs shooting down airframes? Just going off their track record.

thaad is hit-to-kill, with no warhead, and its normal target set is non-maneuvering ballistic missiles at the edge of space, so it’d be amazing if it could even theoretically kill low-flying tactical aircraft

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thank you for the corrections. I was unaware that Patriots did something besides miss SCUDs because they failed Math101

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Eastern Europeans can jerry rig anything they want.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thank you for the corrections. I was unaware that Patriots did something besides miss SCUDs because they failed Math101

By OIF, they hit every missile they fired at.

Fratricides were a mess. Brits with no IFF, USAF got lost and shot up a friendly SAM site behind friendly lines (bring your maps with you….), F-18 pilot killed for very bad/dumb reasons by a Patriot unit.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Interesting.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-february-15-2023

quote:

UK Defense Secretary Ben Wallace told the BBC that the UK had not seen the Russian “massing of a single force to punch through in a big offensive” and noted that Russians are now trying to advance in Donbas at a “huge cost.”[1] Wallace estimated that Russia could have committed up to 97 percent of its army to the fight in Ukraine and that its combat effectiveness has decreased by 40 percent due to an “almost First World War level of attrition” that measures Russian advances in meters in human wave attacks. ISW cannot independently confirm Wallace’s estimates, but his observation that Russia lacks sufficient mechanized combat power for a breakthrough aligns with previous ISW assessments that the conventional Russian military must undergo significant reconstitution before regaining the ability to conduct effective maneuver warfare.[2] Wallace’s observations also suggest that Russia does not have untapped combat-ready reserves capable of executing a large-scale offensive, which is also ISW’s assessment.

So apparently the Russian strategy now is to send enough men at the Ukrainians until they run out of bullets, then Victory!(?)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

By OIF, they hit every missile they fired at.

Fratricides were a mess. Brits with no IFF, USAF got lost and shot up a friendly SAM site behind friendly lines (bring your maps with you….), F-18 pilot killed for very bad/dumb reasons by a Patriot unit.

An F-16 put a HARM through one in self-defense (day after the Brits were killed).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

An F-16 put a HARM through one in self-defense (day after the Brits were killed).

Yeah, I know what they said. They fundamentally didn’t understand which direction the SAM was facing, didn’t have the right maps through crew error resulting in not knowing where land forces were, and misidentified their target when they started engagement. Their pilot statements to the press after the fact were bullshit. I met a member of that flight once and he swore the Patriot was shooting at him, but he’s 100% wrong.

Fortunately, they didn’t kill anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hypnophant posted:

thaad is hit-to-kill, with no warhead, and its normal target set is non-maneuvering ballistic missiles at the edge of space, so it’d be amazing if it could even theoretically kill low-flying tactical aircraft

so you make the fixed-wing target match that intercept geometry by launching at a low angle from the bottom of a mineshaft?