Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Biplane posted:

I always found Martin Short vaguely creepy and Ive always imagined he acts like his character in Mars Attacks! in real life

Jiminy Glick makes me laugh though. Also his guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Eclipse12 posted:

It's me, the only person on earth who liked Clifford with Martin Short.

I was 11, if that helps (or hurts).

No I still love that weird af movie

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

artsy fartsy posted:

No I still love that weird af movie

Yeah I remember renting this movie more than a few times as a kid. I also really liked Innerspace back then too.

Also big fan of Three Amigos and Primetime Glick.

poo poo, I think I'm a Martin Short fan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Martin Short is fantastic on late night shows. He doesn’t play along with how the interview is supposed to go and by the end of the segment he’s just happily insulting the host.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I did an internship in college at an audio post production house that had a few celebrities come through. The one I was actually excited about was Lewis Black, who was friendly but very very quiet. Martin Short came in too, but he spent the entire time that he wasn't recording talking to someone on the phone having a very serious conversation in hushed tones.

Also Sisko and Janeway were in one day and I posted about that and Aatrek PMed me begging me to get him an autograph from them. I'm very glad I declined.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I did an internship in college at an audio post production house that had a few celebrities come through. The one I was actually excited about was Lewis Black, who was friendly but very very quiet. Martin Short came in too, but he spent the entire time that he wasn't recording talking to someone on the phone having a very serious conversation in hushed tones.

Also Sisko and Janeway were in one day and I posted about that and Aatrek PMed me begging me to get him an autograph from them. I'm very glad I declined.

I'm having trouble imagining Lewis Black as quiet!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Kantesu posted:

Won't anyone spare a thought for Short Steve?

?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

old bean factory posted:

I'm having trouble imagining Lewis Black as quiet!

Yeah it was either that he's the exact opposite of his shtick OR he can't help but scream if he actually vocalizes at all so he just smiled and made non-verbal gestures while mouthing words but saying nothing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Martin Short is brilliant and hilarious and whoever his agent who gets him movie roles is, they hate his guts. Three Amigos notwithstanding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the Discworld joke about Medium Dave.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's weird about their names is that, if you list them by their first names only, you get:

Steve
Martin

If you list them by their last names only, you get:

Martin
Short

swe
den

den
mark

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

biosterous posted:

swe
den

den
mark

loving every time I would read the funny pages and think, maybe this time...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Martin Short is brilliant and hilarious and whoever his agent who gets him movie roles is, they hate his guts. Three Amigos notwithstanding.

I liked him in Innerspace.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also Robert Picardo is in Inner Space and who doesn't love more Robert Picardo?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
When I was a kiddo I was really worried about Ozzie, the scientist who injects Martin Short near the start of the movie as his last act. Every time I saw the movie I would fret a bit about Ozzie. He didn't deserve that! He seemed like a nice guy!

Course my other favourite around then was Short Circuit. I really liked the Indian character in that, he was charming and funny and I had a little crush. Now to take a big sip of coffee and look him up on Wikipedia!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

Course my other favourite around then was Short Circuit. I really liked the Indian character in that, he was charming and funny and I had a little crush. Now to take a big sip of coffee and look him up on Wikipedia!
I caught that on telly once when my daughter was young and was like "oh, I haven't seen this since I was your age, it's really fun" and hoo fuckin boy

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Also Robert Picardo is in Inner Space and who doesn't love more Robert Picardo?

When I was a kid the scene where Martin Short turns into Robert Picardo had me laughing so hard I almost passed out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HopperUK posted:

Fisher Stevens prides himself in the range of ethnicities he can play. I think I remember reading him quoted as saying, "One day I hope to play a Caucasian."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

I like many movies older than I am, including Alien. I think the bigger issue is that it isn't an action movie (second one barely qualifies)

:popeye:

I know we've got thirty-seven years of the movie spectacle satiation treadmill between now and then, but "Aliens barely qualifies as an action movie" is still a heck of a take

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

:popeye:

I know we've got thirty-seven years of the movie spectacle satiation treadmill between now and then, but "Aliens barely qualifies as an action movie" is still a heck of a take

alien, not aliens

i assume anyway

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They said "second one barely qualifies" - I'd agree that Alien no plural isn't an action movie though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh yeah somehow missed that

aliens is def an action movie

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh yeah somehow missed that

aliens is def an action movie

It is, but they spend a lot more time doing things that aren't shooting at stuff than in a straight action movie like Commando. There is a mix of horror and sci fi that isn't purely set dressing so they have something to shoot at and punch with a walking forklift.

Similarly, I'd also say an action/comedy is an action movie but its also going to be closer to the line than a straight action movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Hatter posted:

It is, but they spend a lot more time doing things that aren't shooting at stuff than in a straight action movie like Commando. There is a mix of horror and sci fi that isn't purely set dressing so they have something to shoot at and punch with a walking forklift.

Similarly, I'd also say an action/comedy is an action movie but its also going to be closer to the line than a straight action movie.

Hmmmmm I see your point, but at the same time, Aliens has far more depth than most action movies. Without that, there WOULD be more shooting and stuff, which would actually make for a worse movie overall.

Aliens is a film of contrasts.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Commando isn't a reasonable baseline for action movies, it's like the furthest extreme of action movies other than something like The Raid: Redemption.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Commando isn't a reasonable baseline for action movies, it's like the furthest extreme of action movies other than something like The Raid: Redemption.

Wouldn't the John Wick movies, and stuff like Nobody be considered extreme action movies? poo poo, even Taken had a gently caress ton of ridiculous violence.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hmmmmm I see your point, but at the same time, Aliens has far more depth than most action movies. Without that, there WOULD be more shooting and stuff, which would actually make for a worse movie overall.

Aliens is a film of contrasts.

Oh no, Aliens is perfect (both the theatrical and director's cut depending on your mood) and I wouldn't change anything about it. Saying its barely an action movie isn't meant as any more of a slight than saying Citizen Kane isn't an action movie.

I'm just saying that many people are looking for something paced more like Starship Troopers or even Star Wars and instead of enjoying what they're actually watching, they just keep asking when we're going to get to the fireworks factory.

That's not even a new thing either. I had a friend whose family rented Unbreakable and turned it off and took it back to Blockbuster when the train crashed. I don't know what movie they were expecting to watch, but it was clearly something else.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fine, Terminator then. Conveniently its written/directed by the same guy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also if someone says something is barely x, it still is x

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cat Hatter, when was the last time you watched Aliens or Terminator? I think you are getting them mixed up in your memory with other films in their respective franchises. Terminator spends just as much time on suspense, set-up, exposition, etc as Aliens, maybe even more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A sort of subtle thing that I noticed in Memento. Earlier on in the film, he goes on and on about how memories can "change the colour of a car", and how they're not reliable whatsoever. Now, obviously, the main crux of the film's plot is that he has no memory after his wife's rape and murder... HOWEVER.... at the end, when he and Teddy/John are talking, he learns, albeit briefly, that not only can he not make new memories, but his original memories are also completely bullshit. He spends the whole film essentially living in the memory of his life before it was taken away, and it's not even accurate. That whole business about how memory is overrated and inaccurate ends up being the perfect way of describing how he's been living, oblivious to the fact that he's a perpetual victim of what he's talking about. His wife, not Sammy's, had diabetes. His wife survived the attack. There's even a shot of him and his wife sitting in bed and her hand is touching one of his clue tattoos.

Maybe this isn't as subtle as other people think, I just kinda wanted to post about Memento, because goddamn :discourse:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Feb 17, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

It is, but they spend a lot more time doing things that aren't shooting at stuff than in a straight action movie like Commando.

There's a lot less shooting at stuff than you remember in Commando. If you only remember the last 15 minutes it seems like balls to the wall action, but before that there's a lot more feeding deer and talking than you would expect.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Crowetron posted:

Cat Hatter, when was the last time you watched Aliens or Terminator? I think you are getting them mixed up in your memory with other films in their respective franchises. Terminator spends just as much time on suspense, set-up, exposition, etc as Aliens, maybe even more.

Admittedly, the reason I was even thinking of Terminator is because I was wondering how it would compare. I still think it comes out on top though with the nightclub, car chase, police station, car chase factory chase. Future dream in there somewhere. Probably not count the roommate murder because it's more of a horror scene because James Cameron likes mixing horror and action sensibilities which is why his movies tend to be more fuzzy with genre.

Even then, I still think if someone says Aliens is a straight action movie they're out of their goddamned mind.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My favorite subtle movie moment is in Three Amigos. If you pay close attention you can see that the tortoise says “Good night, Ned!” To Martin Short’s character in the desert

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

A sort of subtle thing that I noticed in Memento. Earlier on in the film, he goes on and on about how memories can "change the colour of a car", and how they're not reliable whatsoever. Now, obviously, the main crux of the film's plot is that he has no memory after his wife's rape and murder... HOWEVER.... at the end, when he and Teddy/John are talking, he learns, albeit briefly, that not only can he not make new memories, but his original memories are also completely bullshit. He spends the whole film essentially living in the memory of his life before it was taken away, and it's not even accurate. That whole business about how memory is overrated and inaccurate ends up being the perfect way of describing how he's been living, oblivious to the fact that he's a perpetual victim of what he's talking about. His wife, not Sammy's, had diabetes. His wife survived the attack. There's even a shot of him and his wife sitting in bed and her hand is touching one of his clue tattoos.

Maybe this isn't as subtle as other people think, I just kinda wanted to post about Memento, because goddamn :discourse:

You want Memento posts? The part in the middle where he asks his wife about her book "Haven't you read that before? Why does it matter if you know how it ends?" "I'm enjoying what's happening in the story" is a microcosm for the plot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Admittedly, the reason I was even thinking of Terminator is because I was wondering how it would compare. I still think it comes out on top though with the nightclub, car chase, police station, car chase factory chase. Future dream in there somewhere. Probably not count the roommate murder because it's more of a horror scene because James Cameron likes mixing horror and action sensibilities which is why his movies tend to be more fuzzy with genre.

Even then, I still think if someone says Aliens is a straight action movie they're out of their goddamned mind.

I would argue the nightclub and the police station scenes are shot and scored like horror sequences, but fair enough. Even the tone of the factory final battle is very "the campers struggle to kill Jason" whereas the final showdown in Aliens is more bombastic.

I dunno, I always thought the progression of Terminator to T2 was pretty much the same as the progression of Alien to Aliens. We go from a horror movie where we have some fun and blow up a few things to an action movie where we occasionally dip into horror stuff to keep you from getting too comfortable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Crowetron posted:

I dunno, I always thought the progression of Terminator to T2 was pretty much the same as the progression of Alien to Aliens. We go from a horror movie where we have some fun and blow up a few things to an action movie where we occasionally dip into horror stuff to keep you from getting too comfortable.

I broadly agree with this, although I think the Alien movies leak a little further into horror than the terminators and the terminator movies lean a little further into action.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Broadly agree. To me the spectrum goes:
Alien: Straight horror
Aliens: Action horror
Terminator: Action with horror
Terminator 2: Action with horror elements

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I broadly agree with this, although I think the Alien movies leak a little further into horror than the terminators and the terminator movies lean a little further into action.

drat it, You even beat me using the same wording!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

You want Memento posts? The part in the middle where he asks his wife about her book "Haven't you read that before? Why does it matter if you know how it ends?" "I'm enjoying what's happening in the story" is a microcosm for the plot.

I still think this is Christopher Nolan's best work.

edit: unrelated but has there ever been a crossover that includes Alien, Predator, Terminator and Robocop? Because I don't see why a c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The other thing you need to remember about the original Alien is that it's a 1970s movie and the genres went through quite a lot of development and change in the following decades

The other scifi films that year were The Black Hole, C.H.O.M.P.S., Star Trek The Motion Picture and Meteor starring Sean Connery and Natalie Wood.