Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Resdfru posted:

This is the devs discord? Makes them sound like assholes

But on the other hand that guide writer or whoever is using dmca to mess with people's jobs and stuff so they're also an rear end in a top hat

Assholes all the way down

No, that's the modder's discord, I've seen no indication that the Devs are at all at fault here. I've gone back to edit my post to make sure this is now clear.

e.: for context this isn't some random no-name modder, it's a guy who hosts/runs multiple monetized communities on Rust and in other games. I guess he just saw his chance for a payday here even though I very much doubt he did more than contribute a bit to the community's desire for a Realistic mode. The devs go over his guide as part of their response to getting DMCA'd off of the Steam store and it's not like he laid out a detailed development guide for them to copy or anything like that.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been running Wild Hearts via EA Play for a day now, and the game is great and generally runs great on a 4090. Have been getting a lot of weird bugs today (one crash to desktop, one crash to my previous save when trying to join an online hunt, some complaints about my save file being missing suddenly, errors about network service being offline); presumably these are a bunch of launch bugs.

If they can get the bugs to a good spot, the game has a ton of potential. Could be my build too, of course but it's fairly stacked an a fresh Windows install 7 days ago

fun one right now:

I have over 1tb on this disk, and 500gb+ on my other one; and the game wont launch because of it

Walked fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 16, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
On returnal: I platinumed it on PS5 when it came out. It was not worth the full price and is more of a $30 game imo. My biggest problem is that it feels like they could have done a lot more with the game. It felt kind of incomplete if that makes sense

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm really enjoying Returnal but good lord it brings my 970 to its drat knees begging for mercy.

I think I'm done buying new releases until I can afford to upgrade my GPU. :saddowns:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

Ctrl-Alt-Ego

on the exact opposite side of the presentation spectrum lies Ctrl-Alt-Ego, whose programmer art can be at best described as 'charming' in a folksy way. this unfortunately doesn't translate to better performance, as it struggles to stay above 40FPS on the Deck, but at least the gameplay isn't demanding fast twitch reflexes.

it's a really neat game, despite the jank and lower budget. i saw this at Realms Deep 2022 and was like "whoa. imm sim + puzzle is a great combo" and.. it is! i think. I've only played through the prologue and first chapter. maybe the game gets really stinky later!! but i'm enjoying it so far

I feel a lot of people are neglecting to mention how goddamned BRITISH Ctrl-Alt-Ego is. The whole presentation has this 60s-70s sci-fi feel to it, like even the death robots look like props from very early Dr. Who.

If the idea of System Shock, but less horror and more puzzle and a billion times more English appeals to you, I beg you, dear reader, get this game, you won't regret it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

goferchan posted:

CTRL+ALT+EGO is very, very, very good. Occasionally you can sense the game running up against the constraints of its budget but that doesn't keep it from accomplishing everything it sets out to do-- it's pretty clearly an immersive sim made by people obsessed with immersive sims who know the genre inside and out
yea I appreciate that the game even wants to help you do cool stuff. in chapter 5 there's a train that can enter past this firewall door to a room full of armed guards that you need to pass through. but there's an enemy type you can capture that can absorb and then 3d print items/enemies. so the doctor that's been talking to you throughout the game suggests (as an optional task) capturing that enemy, placing them on the train, and bringing them a bunch of land mines, which you can then use the enemy to absorb... send them on the train through the firewall door into the room full of armed guards, then print all of those mines around the enemies; then you can capture the mines and detonate them. you don't have to do that, but it's a fun suggestion by the game to get you in the creative mood (there's also a path underneath that room with a pipe you can enter to bypass all of the danger, if you can move the heavy containers in the way; and of course there's guns blazing, or using the stealth cloak).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Seems like Wild Hearts has major performance problems on PC. Shame because I might've been convinced to buy it on release despite the admittedly really high asking price.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 16, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like Wild Hearts has major performance problems on PC. Shame because I might've been convinced to buy it on release despite the admitedly really high asking price.

They've said this:

quote:

Omega Force are working continuously to improve performance and optimise the game for a wide variety of hardware specs across future updates.

We have a patch coming next week that addresses a CPU bottleneck problem the team discovered; this should improve performance across mid-high end CPU’s.
The team are also actively working on DLSS and FSR support which will arrive in a future patch.

so it might be a case of a few specific bottlenecks they can patch to get rid of the worst of it and not just an optimization trainwreck in general. I’m waiting for a bit to see whether PC or PS5 makes more sense.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New humblefest bundles

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/bethesda-favorites-build-your-own-bundle
Bethesda's favourites

quote:

Oblivion GOTY edition
Wolfenstein the old blood
Wolfenstein the new order
Morrowind GOTY edition
Wolfenstein young blood
Doom 2016
The evil Within 1
Quake 4
Rage
Doom 3
Dishonored definitive edition
The elder scrolls online
2 for $6.99/3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-infinity-vr-collection
VR Collection

quote:

Fallout 4 vr
Skyrim vr
Cosmodread
CyubeVR
Mothergunship forge
Battle groupVR
All in one sports VR
Arizona sunshine deluxe edition
Unplugged + riffpack
Synthriders
Vinyl reality
Superhot VR
Ragnarock
Dragon Fist VR King fu
Cave digger 2:dig harder
I expect you to die
Sairento Vr
2 for $19.99/3 for $27.99/5 for $39.99

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How is Dishonored 1? I need to get two of the wolfensteins but I don't need anything else there

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

How is Dishonored 1? I need to get two of the wolfensteins but I don't need anything else there

All Dishonored games are very good. Dishonored 1 and it's DLC included.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skyrim is absent because Todd wants you to buy the new version separately

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RGG apparently just released a combat-focused demo for Ishin. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1805480/Like_a_Dragon_Ishin/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big news for anyone who only has the third game in the Total Warhammer franchise. Immortal Empires, the bigass, combined map campaign now just requires you to own TW3 to play it instead of needing the entire trilogy like before. Comes with a nifty launch trailer too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqhc3mK06r0

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anno posted:

RGG apparently just released a combat-focused demo for Ishin. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1805480/Like_a_Dragon_Ishin/

Is it the demo that ends with a fight vs Okada Izo in a gambling den

Because I played it already some months ago. Still worth a look if you're gonna buy it on PC, since the card system's visuals and all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the positive reviews for Wild Hearts that say "wow this game is great! I can't run it and I hope they patch it soon but would recommend!" or "I guess if you are the gamer who needs a game to be above 60fps all the time this might not be for you"

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Wild Hearts, as far as I know, runs on the Koei Tecmo engine, and it’s by the people who made Dynasty Warriors 9. Don’t expect too much improvement and definitely don’t buy it until you have proof because that engine has run extremely badly on PC for a very long time. The fact that the Nioh games are playable is more proof of Team Ninja’s ability than anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Idk what it is, but getting Japanese devs to update their pc games is like pulling teeth. Then you have American devs with a thousand NMS patches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My impression is that Japanese companies view PC as an afterthought, is that off?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They used to but it has been changing over the last decade. So they still have some catching up to do

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It depends - the Judgment games got a bunch of updates including new versions of upscalers like FSR. That’s running on their engine not Unreal though. Indies can be good too, I still get lots of patches for Astlibra.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

zoux posted:

My impression is that Japanese companies view PC as an afterthought, is that off?

From my understanding is PC gaming is only recently becoming mainstream in Japan.

Anno
May 10, 2017

There was this report recently that believes PC gaming in Japan has been on the rise the last 5-8ish years. They cite 4.5 million PC-only players in Japan, which, considering the size of the non-Nintendo console market, seems pretty solid.

Also Capcom saying they wanted PC to be their most prolific platform in the near future, I guess. But I feel like their ports are generally at least fine.

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 16, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I feel Capcom got onboard with good PC ports pretty early compared to a lot of other Japanese companies. Like, as far back as Devil May Cry 4, the PC version was the one to play.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Dishonored 1 is great. Dont worry about getting the "bad" ending and go nuts summoning rats everywhere

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

All Dishonoreds and DLCs have average stories and thin characters but fun gameplay and an absolutely remarkable attention to world design.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Dishonored 1 is great. Dont worry about getting the "bad" ending and go nuts summoning rats everywhere
Seriously. The high chaos version of the final level is a lot more fun.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

anilEhilated posted:

Seriously. The high chaos version of the final level is a lot more fun.

Ending theme song

https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

From my understanding is PC gaming is only recently becoming mainstream in Japan.

I can't claim to have done any deep analysis on the matter or anything but PUBG was the first legit big PC breakthrough game that I personally saw, and it also seemed to basically launch Japan's mainstream competitive shooter (and its e-sports) fandom. Games like Apex Legends and Valorant as well as streamers for those games got popular super rapidly there it felt like. Stuff like League of Legends has been a staple too though, it's not like the country's PC scene just popped into existence one day obviously, but it's definitely more recent. The popularity of streaming games and streaming culture in general seems to have done a lot for it, streamers tend to stream on PCs and often PC games after all.

I'm sure it also helps that there are a lot more games to play on PC for the Japanese now. The PC library has always been vast if you're an English speaker, but historically much less so if you're a Japanese one, so more Japanese companies releasing PC games as well as more non-Japanese games getting localizations has expanded the available library quite a lot too. The "indie revolution" of the last decade or so never really happened in Japan for some reason or another, so all those indie games that grew increasingly universal especially on the PC didn't really have an equivalent in Japan on the same scale, although there do seem to be increasingly more of them now too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 16, 2023

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Anyone not constantly singing this to themselves while playing Dishonored is doing themselves a Disservice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

Anno
May 10, 2017

Marvel's Midnight Suns and Age of Empires IV are on free weekends. I'm going to give MMS a try and see how I get on with the non-combat parts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Midnight Suns is extremely good. If you liked XCOM 1/2 or any tactical games even a little bit you should check it out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What if I like Tactics games like that but have zero interest in comic book stuff :thunk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then play it? Like do you think most X Com players come there for the characters or the story

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
xcom doesnt force you to go on fuckin dates with spiderman where he tells you about his day as an integral part of the levelup system

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Away all Goats posted:

Midnight Suns is extremely good. If you liked XCOM 1/2 or any tactical games even a little bit you should check it out.

Hoping this is as good on deck as I imagine it being. Downloading to check it out but my backlog is big enough that I probably won't pull the trigger yet even at sale price.

Small plug because it's on sale and I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it--Maiden and Spell is a bullet hell fighting game with rollback where you are a bullet hell boss. Pretty fun pickup for the price if you have some friends to play with!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then play it? Like do you think most X Com players come there for the characters or the story

I mean I suppose not, but

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

xcom doesnt force you to go on fuckin dates with spiderman where he tells you about his day as an integral part of the levelup system

Sounds pretty awful.

While I don't care about story at all, I do care about vague themes and the look/style of the game. So if all the comic book heroes you know and love is supposed to be a decent part of the experience, then it doesn't actually sound worth checking out

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Waste of Breath posted:

Hoping this is as good on deck as I imagine it being. Downloading to check it out but my backlog is big enough that I probably won't pull the trigger yet even at sale price.

Small plug because it's on sale and I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it--Maiden and Spell is a bullet hell fighting game with rollback where you are a bullet hell boss. Pretty fun pickup for the price if you have some friends to play with!

I'm really looking forward to the next one they've got coming out, being Rabbit and Steel, closest thing to a MMO raid simulator without all the, well, horrible MMO bits. Got to play it at MAGfest and had a good time.

What was your experience like with Maiden and Spell? I was a bit more interested in Rabbit and Steel since it is coop instead of pvp, but does Maiden and Spell have a decent single player campaign (or maybe it does have coop and I'm just not seeing it?)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, the flavour of X-com is part of the appeal, from TFTD's horror, to XCOM's light humor. Stuff like Frozen Synapse was very strong tactically but never really spawned a subgenre, the window dressing really does matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah the "story" of XCOM or whatever is just kind of there, but the flavor and theming are very strong and a super core part of the game, imo. Playing as a group of super heros (which I don't really like anyway) is like the opposite of that and enough of a reason that I've waiting for something like this to give it a try. It just has no real appeal to me even if the characters and story might be better.