Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maugrim posted:

lol I just went to cancel my Kindle Unlimited subscription because I'm in a reading lull, and Amazon automatically offered me the next 3 months for 99p

I accepted of course, the bastards. Maybe I should read those star wars books

They are garbage, don't.

Read some Iain M. Banks instead if you're craving space opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oooh, Arnold Layne Cup is on. Football's Already Home.

Kitteh would prefer it if Kieran would Just Shut The gently caress Up.

Sorry, just been informed it's the Arnold Clark Cup. We regret the error. This is an attack on democracy.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Private Speech posted:

They are garbage, don't.

Read some Iain M. Banks instead if you're craving space opera.

Funnily enough I've been considering just that, since I retrieved all my old books from Dad's last month, including all the Iain M. Banks novels.

I'm always sad when I remember that Banks is dead (edit: loving 10 years ago now? Didn't think it was that long) and there will never be another Culture novel.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Epic High Five posted:

If it ever comes to it, Keith loses the media instantly and completely and loses by 20 points right?

Yes but the fact this is a looming threat, and he knows it, means they might not have to do it.

"Stay in line, work in our interests or we'll destroy you" means he's controlled and useful. He knows they can do it - they did it to Corbyn based on the merest hint of anything dodgy. With Starmer they have actual ammunition, because he's a spineless, duplicitous and inconsistent piece of poo poo.

Just off the top of my head:

Didn't prosecute Savile or Worboys while DPP.
Supported Jeremy Corbyn
Lied about every single one of his 10 pledges he made to get elected leader.
Has just recently been going hard on Tory expenses, but charged taxpayers £160k for a private car to get him to work while he was DPP - even though he only lived 4 miles away from where he worked. (https://bywire.news/articles/keir-s...ic-prosecutions)
Has poo poo hair.
Has been expelling (left-wing) Jews from the Labour party.

There's various degrees of truth to those things (it's arguable that he didn't actually have much to do with the Savile/Worboys stuff) but we've seen that doesn't matter.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Don’t panic. Keith is doing a Boris in Kyiv to assure everyone war will continue as planned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving north face jacket lmao

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Maugrim posted:

and there will never be another Culture novel.

We're just gonna have to make a Culture reality :black101:

:smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

Don’t panic. Keith is doing a Boris in Kyiv to assure everyone war will continue as planned

"If you need help planning a purge of the left once this is over, I'm your man!"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gently caress off, keith

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Grauniad comment section really is beyond parody

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"i have been to the shops, which makes me very hard and real af"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

Didn't prosecute Savile or Worboys while DPP.

Not to say Starmer isn't a total ratfucker, but didn't he come in as DPP just after the Savile thing had been kicked out by his predecessor?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

loving north face jacket lmao
Want to see kieth and putin have the most pathetic old man pretend hooligan fight in the town square in Lviv.

Think starmer would win tho, just drunkenly reverses over putin ten minutes after he thinks it's over. Then a week later his liver feels a bit worse than usual and he pisses out a solid radium pissrock and carries on with his day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

"i have been to the shops, which makes me very hard and real af"

boss level for her would be asda's whoops section

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is fantastic news for that impoverished borough of Kensington and Chelsea. They've had it so tough

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1626242535843680256

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i do vaguely remember feeling proud of myself going to the supermarket and getting groceries but i was ~8 years old

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

This is fantastic news for that impoverished borough of Kensington and Chelsea. They've had it so tough

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1626242535843680256

They did this a while ago, I recall it coming up around the time of the grenfell fire.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

The Grauniad comment section really is beyond parody

Thankfully, there’s one columnist there still worth reading

https://twitter.com/hkesvani/status/1626169036827394050?s=46&t=eCoLHF2o6ismicq-licGyA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only British journo who's allowed within 100m of school toilets and he's terrified of them.

It's like ray-hee-hain on your wedding day.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Funnily enough I've been considering just that, since I retrieved all my old books from Dad's last month, including all the Iain M. Banks novels.

I'm always sad when I remember that Banks is dead (edit: loving 10 years ago now? Didn't think it was that long) and there will never be another Culture novel.

I've found the Ancillary Justice trilogy to be a fair substitute, but it's lacking the background utopia you get from Banks.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I love Chiles dearly but he doesn’t count. He’s shagging the boss so it’s Carte Blanche

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Makes a lot more sense, thank you! I only did a quick check on Wikipedia and began to assume that he had to be a parody account. Still on the fence but leaning back towards real now.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Maugrim posted:

I just finished rereading The Algebraist today! Still enjoyable, I love the Dwellers.

I had somewhat forgotten how he loved to include sections of horrific torture and unpleasantness in all his books.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Chiles for PM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Piss Master

killerwhat posted:

I had somewhat forgotten how he loved to include sections of horrific torture and unpleasantness in all his books.
It made a lot more sense when I remembered he was also the wasp factory guy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Guardian loving sucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Guardian loving sucks.

it does, op

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

killerwhat posted:

I just finished rereading The Algebraist today! Still enjoyable, I love the Dwellers.

Guavanaut posted:

Piss Master

It made a lot more sense when I remembered he was also the wasp factory guy.

I remember throwing away my first copy of The Wasp Factory when I was 13 or so.

At least he had the good manners to make it loving clear that torture is an awful thing perpetrated by (relative) barbarians. Most stuff by mainstream authors has it down as a necessary evil to make sure society only kills innocents slowly.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

I love Chiles dearly but he doesn’t count. He’s shagging the boss so it’s Carte Blanche

his opinion columns were so powerful that she actually started dating him after he was hired

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zalakwe posted:

I remember throwing away my first copy of The Wasp Factory when I was 13 or so.

At least he had the good manners to make it loving clear that torture is an awful thing perpetrated by (relative) barbarians. Most stuff by mainstream authors has it down as a necessary evil to make sure society only kills innocents slowly.

Didn't he say The Affront was based on the Tories? Literal fartbags obsessed with torture and loving

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

galadriel? Nice

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Failed Imagineer posted:

Didn't he say The Affront was based on the Tories? Literal fartbags obsessed with torture and loving

The Culture Wiki posted:

An average adult Affronter's body consists of a bulbous mass about two metres in diameter, which hangs from a frilled gas sac one to five metres in diameter depending on their desired buoyancy and which can be deflated and covered by protective plates. Six to eleven tentacles of varying length and thickness grow from the central mass, of which at least four end in leaf shaped paddles. Many Affronters have lost one or more tentacles in combat or duels. Beaks on the front and rear of the central mass cover the creature's mouth and genitals, respectively. The eyes and ears are held on stalks above the fore beak (they also have a sensor bump atop the gas sac). An anus/gas vent is located in the bottom centre of the main body. The latter is one of their sources of propulsion, though they usually 'walk' on their limbs or 'paddle' through the air unless in a hurry.

:hmmyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tories never cover their mouths with anything and far too often their genitals neither.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cyrus Starmer... lol

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1626300356811423754

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
that's his name now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

macron as jupiter fighting starmer as cyrus when

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

macron as jupiter fighting starmer as cyrus when

Shouldn't Macron be Taranis? Or maybe Toutatis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tasdemerde

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Guavanaut posted:

Tasdemerde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

killerwhat posted:

I'm convinced that the Dwellers were inspired by Iain M Banks' experience of accidentally hoovering up a spider.