Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

mila catpetter

no..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

I'm asking you. You said it's not netting the Russians much strategically so I'm asking, what makes you think that?

i'm going by the experts cited in the article, according to whom bakhmut is more symbolically than strategically significant. i'm not a military expert so how the hell am i to know?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Russia-backed Separatists" ffs guys its been nine years you gotta let this one go

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

mila kunis posted:

i'm going by the experts cited in the article, according to whom bakhmut is more symbolically than strategically significant. i'm not a military expert so how the hell am i to know?

You should try it yourself sometime, it could be a useful exercise in drawing your own conclusions and not going by the first thing you read printed in a newspaper, Western or otherwise.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1626167488516968448?t=wNpBGq3cAY7UKGwvNB2eFg

Nothing in there is particularly newsworthy to posters itt, but I thought the top 2 replies were interesting

https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1626254789599236102?t=GV99PUIHFDE3NwIl4e5Q2A&s=19

like, this is a bot, right? it's absurd that he is calling Gonzalo " Mr redpill, General augusto Pinochet was right" a leftist, but presumably this is just the botnet used to brigade actual leftists threads missing the mark?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

jesus christ that picture got a real belly laugh out of me

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

You should try it yourself sometime, it could be a useful exercise in drawing your own conclusions and not going by the first thing you read printed in a newspaper, Western or otherwise.

I should try being a military expert sometime? That sounds like it would take years of study

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Stalingrad was only of symbolic importance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can tell if you have a cold or if your car has a flat tire without being a doctor or a mechanic

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1626167488516968448?t=wNpBGq3cAY7UKGwvNB2eFg

Nothing in there is particularly newsworthy to posters itt, but I thought the top 2 replies were interesting

https://twitter.com/GonzaloLira1968/status/1626254789599236102?t=GV99PUIHFDE3NwIl4e5Q2A&s=19

like, this is a bot, right? it's absurd that he is calling Gonzalo " Mr redpill, General augusto Pinochet was right" a leftist, but presumably this is just the botnet used to brigade actual leftists threads missing the mark?

i think it's just a nazi guy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Look my dudes, the line doesn't go straight through the dots. Therefore, the US did not blow up Nordstream.

if the line doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
making an army of bots named after all the guys in the dirlewanger brigade, and with their personalities too

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mila kunis posted:

Gleaning the Rube

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

if the line doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Actually, lol I don't think this guy is making the argument he thinks he is

"immediate vicinity"

:thunk:

Love to run cover for spook activities by clarifying the identity of the ships carrying out spook activities

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

I think it's interesting the way that the internet has affected the way homefront perceives the war, and I wonder if it's affecting Russian decision making.

In any previous war, if a company armored attack ran into a minefield outside the staging area and lost a dozen vehicles to artillery fire it would be a misfortune of war that ultimately wouldn't rise above operational significance. Now it's blasted around the international media and amateurs on Telegram with millions of followers spend weeks demanding their own stupid reforms get put in place, not understanding that these sorts of grisly incidents are going to happen if you want to make a breakthrough in a peer war. And of course, it'd be very difficult for the MoD to just say the truth, which is that men and materiel are to a degree expendable, poo poo happens in war, and if you can't accept your soldiers dying you shouldn't fight the war.

It makes the Ukrainian media strategy of lying about, denying, and blacking out coverage of their losses seem like the much better option.

(from t.me/rybar/43664, via tgsa)

Granted, I would say that is much more very online types than average people who tuned out on the conflict rather than guys who want heads to roll when an objective isn’t taken as soon as possible or “moonscapes” are created because of artillery usage. Honestly, for the most part the Russian government just doesn’t really talk up the war period which is probably the smarter choice. It allows the Ukrainians an opening in online debates but usually there is eventually an consensus after the smoke clearly.

Clearly, the Ukrainians are fighting harder for Vuhledar than the Russians expected but they can always just go and level the place. Also, usually it isn’t talked about if any Ukrainians might have you know died in the fighting at the same time.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the reaction to the hersh story is completely bonkers

it's taken as a given that it's wrong and so any effort spend looking into it is simply to find some reason to claim it is wrong, i.e. giving the benefit of the doubt to the secret agencies. this is seen as perfectly reasonable and you're a weirdo, crank or conspiracy theorist if you think that this is a serious deal

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it's taken as a given that it's wrong and so any effort spend looking into it is simply to find some reason to claim it is wrong, i.e. giving the benefit of the doubt to the secret agencies. this is seen as perfectly reasonable and you're a weirdo, crank or conspiracy theorist if you think that this is a serious deal

well duh, that's what official confirmation looks like my friend

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

V. Illych L. posted:

sure he's exposed some massacres and scoops before and has no record of bullshitting or chasing yarns and he's still (or was) well respected in actual mainstream media, he could still be making this one up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
“Are you cheating?”
“How can you ask such a question, ridiculous!”

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cuttlefush posted:

sure he's exposed some massacres and scoops before and has no record of bullshitting or chasing yarns and he's still (or was) well respected in actual mainstream media, he could still be making this one up.

i'm genuinely open to the idea that he could

i'm just also genuinely open to the idea that he could not

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look just because I was found standing over the murder victim with a smoking pistol in my hand and told the three witnesses on scene "I'm glad I shot the bastard" that does not mean I killed the man. He could have done it to himself just to prove he could and I was actually trying to stop him.

Anyway please send the bill to dry clean my dinner jacket to the relatives of the deceased. It's his blood on it after all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

I’m an “expert” who was just published this month (on something other than Ukraine) and has been quoted in the papers on defence issues, and I would have to be out of my mind to go on the record in anything other than a journal or trade publication and say Ukraine is in a “tough situation”.

I’ve had more than a few pre-interviews where the journalist has said “we were thinking something more along the lines of (Official Government Position), what if you spoke about that?”. Even the USMC officer criticizing Ukraine in the USMC journal did so under a nom de plume. Why on earth would anyone put themselves in a situation where they are speaking out against not just popular opinion but government policy?

Ukraine isn’t my desk, and I’m careful not to post about work work here, but shitposting on pseudo anonymous account on a gay dead comedy forum is as close as I have come to “openly” contradicting HRH’s government here, and even at work, there’s nothing to gain in being “negative”. Oh hm numbers look like this, Canadian trainers said this, maybe we should consider this when designing OPFOR based on lessons learned. That’s it.

There’s a US academic who wrote about Russian artillery doctrine and saw a Ukrainian brigade dissolve in a 15 minute MRLS strike in 2015, and you, the viewing public, will not see anything like that again, even though Russian fires have stepped up, because it won’t be reported outside of the journals, and nobody will put their name to it until this is over.

lol

I mean, obviously I respect some of the people speaking on the record on Ukraine, but in the current climate what experts make it into the media expressing what opinions is charged in a way this stuff hardly ever is. A comparison would be trying to find someone defending the Afghanistan withdrawal in the press.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

why does he have a pokerface?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

got em

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The government has already decided to support Ukraine for reasons that have nothing to do with their military situation per se so much as ability to draw the war out, so it wouldn’t change policy to try to evaluate Ukraine’s military situation frankly, there has been a sustained effort to bolster public support, and the media narrative would simply shift to “Bakmit is critical and that is why Ukraine needs the Strathconas to turn over all of their Leopards, now more than ever.

We gave them a shooting regiment of 777’s lol I mean, be serious. It didn’t matter what they did with them or what became of them after because that was never the point. Their military situation does not factor into this stuff.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Feb 16, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

why does he have a pokerface?

Puhpuhpuhpokerface puhpuhpoker-face

Nuh Nuh Nuh naaah(zi)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok but seriously though how bad is it for ukraine to lose Bakhmut, it seems like they put alot more resources into defending it than I thought they world and gave the russians a hell of a time taking it, but did they buy themselves time for anything? Also has russia managed to really make a decent strategic stepping stone to take the rest of the donbass, or has bakhmut lost all strategic value after the withdrawal from kharkiv. I wonder.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

genericnick posted:

So eyeballing the KNM Hinnøy it's something like 5km between the blast site and the course?

Yet nowhere in the article is the claim that they dived down in a straight line from the ship, only that they operated from one. I guess they technically might have operated from a rubber boat that operated from a mine hunter? 9/10 pinochios in that case

The ship in question has its own Norwegian Wiki page.: https://no-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/KNM_%C2%ABHinn%C3%B8y%C2%BB?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

What's particularly interesting is that it is fitted with a Pluto Plus Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. https://www.idrobotica.com/pluto-plus.php A mine countermeasures vessel equipped with cutters and explosives for explosive ordnance disposal. The vehicle can be operated by wireless radio link, and its maximum depth is well below where the explosives were placed.

This guy won't be getting any of that juicy NED money if his OSINT ends up publicizing the ship that was used to blow up the pipeline.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Feb 16, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok but seriously though how bad is it for ukraine to lose Bakhmut, it seems like they put alot more resources into defending it than I thought they world and gave the russians a hell of a time taking it, but did they buy themselves time for anything? Also has russia managed to really make a decent strategic stepping stone to take the rest of the donbass, or has bakhmut lost all strategic value after the withdrawal from kharkiv. I wonder.

tbh i think lyman last year was more strategic for both sides while russia held it before getting pushed back since it's more of a rail hub

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i say swears online posted:

tbh i think lyman last year was more strategic for both sides while russia held it before getting pushed back since it's more of a rail hub

yeah i was genuinely surprised the russians lost that and it convinced me more than anything that the russians were either gonna lose or barely achieve their absolute minimum goals and nothing else.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Most of these towns being defended are strategic in the sense that they're transport hubs and so represent nodes along the front line that will crumble if one or more fall. Why else would Ukraine spend months and manpower defending it?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I thought they were defending it so they have something to show for the aid they are getting. US will be less inclined to give more aid unless you can show something for it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

Most of these towns being defended are strategic in the sense that they're transport hubs and so represent nodes along the front line that will crumble if one or more fall. Why else would Ukraine spend months and manpower defending it?

defensive lines are static because they take time and it's hard to determine what's a sunk cost or not. the heavy defense could very well be for political reasons, or strategic in the sense that a battlefield close to the separatist republics is much more disruptive to their civilians instead of backing up and having to disrupt our civilians

again comparing bakhmut to lyman as a transportation hub:

the thin black pencil marks are rail lines. bakhmut looks like it has one, and while lyman looks like it's a smaller town in general, it's got a true railyard. both screencaps are at the same altitude

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right but there was a reason they started fighting for it in the first place, it isn't just a random patch of ground. The entire war is about strategically important towns etc, nobody's fighting for random fields of mud with no value

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
All right folks, it’s been fun modding this thread and cspam. But I’ve got a baby on the way and a new job, and I just don’t have the time, energy, or bandwidth to keep doing this effectively. On top of that it’s becoming increasingly clear that I’m out of step with what most of cspam’s users want. So it’s time for me to step down as a mod - probably past time, in fact. Thanks to everyone who made this a fun thread and forum to moderate. I hope this awful war ends soon.

May you all continue to be gay for Putin.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of the issue is that generally the high ground around Bakhmut are the best place to keep Russians from pushing West. In addition, Bakhmut is a relatively build up area. The new problem is if Bakhmut falls (and you can see this with Russian advances north of Bakhmut) there isn’t as much to stop them pushing further West.

The other issue the West is still backing Ukraine with the expectation they can pull off some type of victory by pushing the Russians out of southern Ukraine and threatening Crimea. However if the Donbass falls apart then Ukraine’s position east of the Dniper becomes untenable and essentially the war is lost.

So they really need to hold up Russia at Bakhmut/Vuhledar becomes any chance at a successful offensive becomes even more remote.

That said, it is fair to say by dumping so many forces into their defense they also have undermined themselves but I think a lot of it was predicated on that the West were going to give them so many fancy weapons it was going to make up for those losses. It doesn’t seem like it worked out so far.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

i say swears online posted:

defensive lines are static because they take time and it's hard to determine what's a sunk cost or not. the heavy defense could very well be for political reasons, or strategic in the sense that a battlefield close to the separatist republics is much more disruptive to their civilians instead of backing up and having to disrupt our civilians

again comparing bakhmut to lyman as a transportation hub:

the thin black pencil marks are rail lines. bakhmut looks like it has one, and while lyman looks like it's a smaller town in general, it's got a true railyard. both screencaps are at the same altitude

Both cities are too close to the frontline for the rail lines to be used. Also the lines from Lyman don't go anywhere useful. The hub part of Bakhmut is just the highways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

another victory