Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Big Jesus posted:

You’re going to have your sadboi hours.

This is definitely true no matter how good or bad the relationship ended. By the time I got divorced our relationship was toxic as could be but there's always still the investment you made in the relationship and how you wanted it to succeed. As ready as I was to be done with my ex I still cried when it was finalized. Find ways to cope as long as they're not harmful. I basically lived in the gym for a year while it was going on which was fine, then sank into a bottle after it was over which was less fine. Find a healthy way to cope, take your mind off things, do things that make you happy, don't be self destructive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m rooting for you, elk.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Addie took a cute photo.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1626243655475294209?s=46&t=8_P6MOM3Ci4twRIfSb-t2g

a sexual elk posted:

2 kids, telling the 6 year old I have to go away for work and just hugging the crap out of the 2 year old cause he doesn’t understand anything

Hey man if you wanna talk via Gmail it’s username. I’m in a different time zone but if you need to vent about anything I’m here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh no I thought you and your ex were sharing her? Is she just with your ex now?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Anyone here been thru a separation after a very long term relationship? Kinda lost right now, plus a few tall boys

Kiimo you still got that place in Moonridge? I could use a place to crash haha

Man I'm sorry.

That place isn't my place I just rent it often and became friends with the owner. Sorry I'm not rich enough for that place

yet

Intruder posted:

Oh no I thought you and your ex were sharing her? Is she just with your ex now?

holy poo poo I thought you were talking to Elk haha

also 11 year relationship and broken engagement, still living with her looking for a place for her to move to, checking in.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 16, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BLM1naCfME

I guess it’s finally happening

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My friend did a comic about the history of Tetris if you want a fun read.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Nothing like having Tetris dreams.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That dude is doing his best Leo DiCaprio impression

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just started Persona 4.

This soundtrack already slaps

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i am the man who arranges the blocks that descend upon me from up above
they come down and I spin them around till they fit in the ground like hand and glove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watched first episode of new season of Picard. Nothing to complain about, although not a lot happens in terms of setting up the season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1626307899386654720

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

God, that terrible. Losing your mental faculties is one of my worst fears :smith:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Frontotemporal is also like the worst type of dementia for the patient to suffer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

swickles posted:

Frontotemporal is also like the worst type of dementia for the patient to suffer.

Yeah there's no good type of dementia but there's definitely worse ones.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My mom's side of the family have degenerative neurological disorders so there's a non-zero chance I could have dementia too.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

My mom's side of the family have degenerative neurological disorders so there's a non-zero chance I could have dementia too.

Same on my side. My dad's got slow decline so he's an even bigger rear end in a top hat now than he was 10 years ago. Still, just brutal watching people go through it. I feel bad for his family and kids - it's one of the hardest things to see

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can’t stop chuckling at this supremely dumb thing

https://mobile.twitter.com/augerbug/status/1626169168520441856

Edit: poo poo way to read the room Rinaldo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

The first time I saw a case of this, I resolved to muster every bit of cognitive wherewithal I had remaining to put a bullet in my brain the day of my diagnosis.

What a goddamned shame. :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What’s so bad about it? Like I get it’s all awful but what about that specific type makes it so much worse?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Boy howdy to I appreciate having a vehicle that's a tank in the snow

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Rectal Placenta posted:

Boy howdy to I appreciate having a vehicle that's a tank in the snow

It owns OP

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s so bad about it? Like I get it’s all awful but what about that specific type makes it so much worse?

With Alzheimer's and a lot of other types of dementia, the sufferer is rarely aware of it, and usually only at the onset of symptoms, early in the disease. Alzheimer's patients are mostly pleasant, just prone to confusion and may have bad reactions to that from time to time, but even those episodes are forgotten and they go about their day. Its slow and terrible, but its not really until the very end that the patient truly suffers. With frontotemporal the underlying knowledge of dementia is there, and the personality changes are permanent. Perfectly nice people become raging combative monsters, and then realize it for a bit, but ultimately know there is nothing they can do. This is on top of the aphasia which is one the most frustrating things in the world of medicine, and comes in two flavors: expressive and receptive. With receptive imagine your friends are having a conversation in a completely different language, except you took that class in high school. You know some of the words, but have no idea what they are saying no matter how slowly and clearly the pronounce it. That is bad but imagine the reverse (expressive). You are speaking perfect English, but the words coming out don't make any sense to your friends. They can also identify the words and know what they mean, but you aren't putting them in any order that they can understand. You keep saying "I love barbeque and beer" but they don't know why you just said "Pelicans biting California is fine for now, thanks."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does that extend to writing as well? Like if instead of saying it, could they write it and have it make sense? Or is that affected too?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does that extend to writing as well? Like if instead of saying it, could they write it and have it make sense? Or is that affected too?

In most cases yes it does, but oddly enough not in singing! In fact, that is one of the therapies for patients with permanent aphasia after a stroke. They are taught to sing/speak in an effort to retrain their pathways.

edit: It also affects sign language too!

swickles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 17, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

God our brains are stupid.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

swickles posted:

With Alzheimer's and a lot of other types of dementia, the sufferer is rarely aware of it, and usually only at the onset of symptoms, early in the disease. Alzheimer's patients are mostly pleasant, just prone to confusion and may have bad reactions to that from time to time, but even those episodes are forgotten and they go about their day. Its slow and terrible, but its not really until the very end that the patient truly suffers. With frontotemporal the underlying knowledge of dementia is there, and the personality changes are permanent. Perfectly nice people become raging combative monsters, and then realize it for a bit, but ultimately know there is nothing they can do. This is on top of the aphasia which is one the most frustrating things in the world of medicine, and comes in two flavors: expressive and receptive. With receptive imagine your friends are having a conversation in a completely different language, except you took that class in high school. You know some of the words, but have no idea what they are saying no matter how slowly and clearly the pronounce it. That is bad but imagine the reverse (expressive). You are speaking perfect English, but the words coming out don't make any sense to your friends. They can also identify the words and know what they mean, but you aren't putting them in any order that they can understand. You keep saying "I love barbeque and beer" but they don't know why you just said "Pelicans biting California is fine for now, thanks."

Between reading about this, and having witnessed the state my mother was in during her final days, I can't believe we don't have assisted euthanasia as a routine option for those who want to avoid suffering in such ways.

swickles posted:

In most cases yes it does, but oddly enough not in singing! In fact, that is one of the therapies for patients with permanent aphasia after a stroke. They are taught to sing/speak in an effort to retrain their pathways.

This makes me think of something I watched about Tony Bennett (maybe it was 60 minutes?) and how despite his dementia/Alzheimer's, he was suddenly in his element when he was on stage rehearsing and singing with Lady Gaga.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

T-Square posted:

Staring at that Sheepshead fish just reminds me of the other weekend when my girlfriend’s parents sat us and her brother and his girlfriend down to teach us how to play Sheepshead and my brain just did not understand any of it after two hours and I’ve never felt more dumb

I’m a terrible Wisconsinite :negative:

I’m stuck playing euchre because I don’t have enough Wisconsinites here and I’m too lazy to teach.

Also, rooting for you, elk. I salvaged my marriage after a separation, but the climb out was exceptionally difficult. Feel free to pm me. Being able to talk to anyone, whether friend, therapist, or TFF posters, helps more than you would ever think.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Between reading about this, and having witnessed the state my mother was in during her final days, I can't believe we don't have assisted euthanasia as a routine option for those who want to avoid suffering in such ways.

Because Jesus wants you and all of your loved ones to suffer and be in pain until your body finally gives up, apparently.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

There’s gotta be euthanasia by the time we’re in our late 70s, right??

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Thanks for the explanation, gently caress me that sounds awful

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That depends on whether you mean in a good way or a bad way

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

That depends on whether you mean in a good way or a bad way

Logan’s Run anyone that that hits retirement age imo

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

gently caress for all we know that may be the actual Republican plan for cutting Medicare and Social Security spending

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Lol, I'm living to 120 ez.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I experienced aphasia as a symptom of migraine once in high school and it was the most quietly terrifying half hour of my life. Writing answers down and thinking they made sense only to go back and see they were just ... random words. Ugh.

Dementia scares me more than just about anything else. Fully intend to pull the ripcord on this mortal coil if I'm ever diagnosed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Correct me if I’m wrong, swick, but isn’t frontotemporal often early onset and not immediately fraught with some of the more immediate life threatening challenges like swallowing difficulty? So the possibility of you being a lumbering, tiptoeing monster for like 30 years is much higher?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've talked before about my mom's parkinsons. I have two missed calls on my phone today, in both cases my mom seems to have dialed me, and then immediately hung up before my phone even rang. I called back the second time, got her voicemail, and she replied asking why I'd called... even though I said in the voicemail I called because I'd missed her call.

She's suffering for sure. There are times when she says she wants to die. There are times when she's very happy, though, she rocks like crazy and says she's "dancing" and has some sort of mild euphoria. There's times in between when she's happy to sit and talk, do a crossword puzzle(!), visit. I can mention something from a long time ago and she'll remember it and light up, it's a memory she can cling to; she also has no memory of having written a novel in the 1990s (it wasn't published but I helped her edit it) and when we mention something she has no memory of, she finds that disturbing. She lives day to day now, she doesn't hold on well to routine things that happened the day or two days earlier, although if it was a very unusual event she might. She knows that she's a different person but kind of doesn't know just how much she's changed. There are all these conversations we just don't even try to have any more.

We're all glad right now that suicide isn't an option for her. In some ways I'm glad that none of us have to make some kind of decision about exactly when to draw a line, like we did for our sick cat. She is getting therapy and medication and it helps. She's a huge burden on her husband, who is being a hero but isn't really cut out to be a caretaker and is having to spend his own final years doing that instead of basically any of the things he wanted to do in retirement, and he doesn't even really get to do it with the woman he married. She is a human being and at times she is clearly 100% still having worthwhile quality of life, and even as those times become briefer or of less and less substance, nobody really has a right to take them away from her. And by the time she's too far gone to have any quality of life, she may also be too far gone to competently ask for it to end.

What I am getting at is this stuff is hard hard hard, and there's no easy answer. "Just give me a bullet" sounds OK when you've seen patients advanced in their disease, but maybe not so good the day you're diagnosed, with some mild symptoms but maybe several years to do some of the things you always wanted to do, and people around you who would be devastated if you were gone.

I try to reassure my family by saying something like this: look, we're in this together, we have nothing but hard decisions with no good choices left. We're going to make a lot of mistakes and feel regret over them and we're going to disagree a lot but we also have to just be forgiving of each other and of ourselves. Just accept that you are dealing with an unfolding tragedy that you cannot walk away from in good conscience so you're going to have to just participate in it, as best you can, and ask for the support you need as you go because you're going to need it.

If you find yourself in this sort of situation for yourself or someone you love, that's my advice to you. Don't presuppose what you'll definitely do; just resolve to deal with your personal and family tragedy as best you can, and be forgiving of yourself and everyone else because this is just a hosed up situation nobody can ever actually be prepared for.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong, swick, but isn’t frontotemporal often early onset and not immediately fraught with some of the more immediate life threatening challenges like swallowing difficulty? So the possibility of you being a lumbering, tiptoeing monster for like 30 years is much higher?

Generally FTD occurs earlier than Alzheimers.

FTD just kinda means that his mri is now showing signs of progression. Although I sincerely doubt he wasn’t already showing radiographic evidence. Someone like him would have received a PET scan early on. Also he was probably able to compensate for quite a while, being an actor. People are very good at hiding things like that.

You can have FTD (and usually do) without PPA. The fact his presenting symptom was trouble speaking as opposed to like behavioral disturbances is an ominous sign.

swickles posted:

Ability to curse out the CNA sitter trying to keep you in bed all night is retained as well!

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 17, 2023