Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Nihonniboku posted:

What band that had their debut album in the last 5 years is your favorite?

Man y'all already covered some good ones, but Black Midi is up there for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

*dun-dun-dun-dun dun dun-dun-dun* HAMMERS AND GRIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAASE

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

What band that had their debut album in the last 5 years is your favorite?

Plastic Mermaids

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Linda Lindas

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The Killers are playing a 2k capacity standing room only venue down the street and I was able to score tickets.

I've never been to a Killers show. All I have to say is they better be loving good, poo poo was $140 per ticket before fees.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

angrygodofjebus posted:

The Killers are playing a 2k capacity standing room only venue down the street and I was able to score tickets.

I've never been to a Killers show. All I have to say is they better be loving good, poo poo was $140 per ticket before fees.

I can't imagine that NOT being good. They put on a fun show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How much stuff do they play from the first album? I still love that one and heard When You Were Young a whole lot after it was released, but I fell off them completely after that.

Even if they played the entirety of Hot Fuss, I don't think I'd pay $140 to see them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Killers put on an incredible live show, I can't imagine how cool it would be to see them in a 2k person venue. They play a lot of old/classic stuff at their shows, not to worry.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Killers put on an incredible live show, I can't imagine how cool it would be to see them in a 2k person venue. They play a lot of old/classic stuff at their shows, not to worry.

This is making me feel better!

Definitely excited, just had to cringe at the price. When I'm at the show in a few months I'm sure I won't give a poo poo what I paid today. There are going to be some good singalongs.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 16, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would think a 2-3k cap venue is about right for the Killers, right? They’re not selling out arenas. Are they selling out 10k sheds by themselves? They haven’t had a hit song in 10 years

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I would think a 2-3k cap venue is about right for the Killers, right? They’re not selling out arenas. Are they selling out 10k sheds by themselves? They haven’t had a hit song in 10 years

they did in Vancouver, sold out the main concert stadium here, Rogers Arena

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

they did in Vancouver, sold out the main concert stadium here, Rogers Arena

By themselves? That’s crazy. People like lovely bands I guess.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

They're definitely still playing arenas. US tour late last year had them at MSG (2 nights in a row actually), TD Garden, United Center, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I mean, there was an opener, but I don't remember what it was

Weird edgy hot take to call the killers a lovely band, I guess, congrats

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BigFactory posted:

I think you vastly underestimate how wildly popular they are. Mr. Brightside is longest-charting single in the UK. In general, it's just one of those songs where you put it on at a party, and you're going to have everybody singing along. They're not really making waves in the indie rock world, which means, yeah, they're the kind of band to sell out arenas.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, there was an opener, but I don't remember what it was

Weird edgy hot take to call the killers a lovely band, I guess, congrats

They’re imagine dragons quality in my book but I hope the show was fun.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
lol the aggro cell phone forum guy is offended that you don't like the killers

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Posting about posters sucks, post about music.
New Mali Mali single sounding pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym_KkjIwKdA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like the new LANA DEL REY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYqky795R1s

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

lol the aggro cell phone forum guy is offended that you don't like the killers

what

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Hot fuss is a GOAT candidate. Every song is a banger

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehoodie posted:

Hot fuss is a GOAT candidate. Every song is a banger
Even the bonus track kicks rear end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFl5BjzOLY

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

The Killers are a festival-headlining caliber band. Seeing them in a 2k cap venue should be a blast.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
But Mormons

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow, I'm listening to Hot Fuss for the first time in a while and Smile Like You Mean It is seriously transporting me back in time almost 20 years.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
All these things that I've done is a song I like by them but most of it doesn't really hit for me personally.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The killers are legit rear end, to me, in my opinion, and many people I know with absolute terrible taste in music like them and I stand by that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hot Fuss is a weird outlier in my library. I don't like their peers or their influences on that sound but I've always enjoyed that one a lot. Maybe because I was in middle school and I really like playing all the basslines on it. The more Bruce-influenced stuff is also somewhat interesting (though I'd rather listen to the genuine article) but post-Sam's Town it's a big sea of "meh" to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The production on this album is cool. Lots of neat panning. And this from the album's Wiki page:

quote:

The album heavily features a vocal effect called Echo Farm on Flowers' voice. In 2014, Needham recounted, "There were three of us involved in the production company on that record: Braden Merrick, Jeff Saltzman and myself. Jeff and I had been partners for a few years. He was an entertainment attorney and was shopping stuff, but he actually really wanted to be a producer as well. We set Jeff up with a studio, got him started in recording and since he’s a smart guy, he picked it up really quick. At that time, Echo Farm had just come out, and that was really the only vocal effect he had. If you open up Echo Farm, the first setting that comes up is the default setting, which overdrives the vocal a bit and sets an 84 ms delay. That was basically what he put on everything and it sort of became the default vocal tone on the whole record, plus it worked really great, so we kept it. It changes a little bit on certain things, but it was a fairly consistent effect through the whole record."

It came out sounding excellent!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I love a hard pan, me.

Why I'm not at all a purist and prefer the Beatles early stereo mixes vs the mono Nazis.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale are legit better in stereo, since they only had four tracks and George Martin could do actual stereo mixes instead of whatever the gently caress they did on their other albums before Magical Mystery Tour

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Venomous posted:

I mean, A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale are legit better in stereo, since they only had four tracks and George Martin could do actual stereo mixes instead of whatever the gently caress they did on their other albums before Magical Mystery Tour

All the hard panning owns, I'll always die on that hill.

They just redid Revolver again I believe.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzIQj2h62o

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Yeah it rules.

I can’t believe there are people riding for the killers still but I guess they haven’t released anything truly horrible in a few years now

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That new ldr song kind of tastes like somebody mooshed one of her songs together with Blame Game and the Frank Ferdinand song lucid dreams. It is awesome

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lana will never top the Stuart Little song

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
edit: nevermind

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

edit: nevermind

She had a bad performance on SNL (which isn’t honestly that bad) and it was most people’s introduction to her. That’s basically it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The last SNL performance that actually sounded good was yeezus era yedolf and that was like twelve years ago. Anybody holding that set against her at this point needs to move on

NFR was the last thing she did that got much play from me but it was extremely good and this new song is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Pile record out today.

Also new Screaming Females record out today.

Both rock go get em.