Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Imagine being put off joining the USA's army because it was too woke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Weka posted:

Imagine being put off joining the USA's army because it was too woke.
You don't want to be sleeping when the Whiskey Rapist comes around.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

how do i empire i am not good with hegemonies

https://twitter.com/USAmbKabul/status/1625808160614240258?s=20

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

:discourse:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's almost liked the armed forces are garbage

Saying as someone who was dumb enough to do ten years

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The US Navy's struggle to keep ships in fighting shape is leading sailors to 'cannibalize' more parts from other ships

More money than the next 10 countries in the world and cant even keep its navy aflot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was gonna post this just now. Some idiot would argue that congress forcing the navy to keep certain ships on the roll when they are requesting early decomisioning means the ships would be usable. No, the reality is that they would just rust at drydock or end up getting its parts "controlled substituted" to make another of the same class barely functional

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I remember Warship magazine or maybe USNI had a great article about how the Navy hated the OHP frigates because they were cheap, reliable, durable and so bad for the careers of surface officers as new, exciting ships weren’t being commissioned on a regular basis. It's one of the funnier ways to run a Navy, for sure.

There was a recent conference of Naval Architects on future surface combatants and it seems as if the goal here is to, if not maximize turnover, then ensure both Surface Officers and defence contractors can associate themselves with something "new" on a regular basis. I'll try to find it on JSTOR.

Well, Here's one, though I think what I'm looking for was written by Conrad Waters or Ian Ballantyne and was presented at RINA 2022.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Feb 16, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't there some dipshit that was arguing that the USN technically wasn't getting rid of all its Aegis cruisers yet because Congress kept putting off the decommissioning even if they Navy wanted it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are Aegis cruisers deployed right this moment.

They’ll probably be retired in a few years though. Some people got confused and thought they were already retired rather than still deployed in strike groups and slated for future deployments.

Navy tried to pull a fast one by asking for and receiving funding to modernize one of them, then asking to retire it after modernization was complete rather than ever using it, which pissed off lawmakers.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
there's a littoral combat ship in my back yard and it looks sad as hell. no surface to surface missiles, although I think some have them now? or wait is that a new variant?

what's the minimum navy year going to be? seems like it might be missing a few kind of key ship classes at points

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

there's a littoral combat ship in my back yard and it looks sad as hell. no surface to surface missiles, although I think some have them now? or wait is that a new variant?

what's the minimum navy year going to be? seems like it might be missing a few kind of key ship classes at points

I'm surprised that it hasn't rusted into nothing just yet

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

It definitely feels like a revision that came about after The Great War that got cemented by World War 2 with the whole citizen solider tbing that became part of the myth we built about why we are greater than the godless communists. That people joined the army out of self sacrifice rather than being gently caress ups with no other recourse

It always seemed to be a post 9/11 thing to me, in the 90s no one was thanking da troops for dere service, and if you thought about joining the military the assumption was you couldn't do much else with your life.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

I'm surprised that it hasn't rusted into nothing just yet

it's like half-orange

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

it's like half-orange

helps with scurvy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mlmp08 posted:

helps with scurvy

lol

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
What if a littoral combat ship but, instead of dissolving on contact with water, it turned into a dinosaur shaped sponge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a logical next step because they already have the kind that change colour when you get them wet

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It always seemed to be a post 9/11 thing to me, in the 90s no one was thanking da troops for dere service, and if you thought about joining the military the assumption was you couldn't do much else with your life.

It took Vietnam for people to hold the military in utter contempt, but that was quickly redeemed by the mid-80s for it to regain prestige and just has not dropped back down

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

It took Vietnam for people to hold the military in utter contempt, but that was quickly redeemed by the mid-80s for it to regain prestige and just has not dropped back down

absolutely not. nobody gave a poo poo about the military in the 90s until one fateful morning 22 years ago

i think 3 kings is a pretty good perception-ometer from that period

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i say swears online posted:

absolutely not. nobody gave a poo poo about the military in the 90s until one fateful morning 22 years ago

i think 3 kings is a pretty good perception-ometer from that period

Opinion polling from the time disagrees

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

americans approved of the military as much pre-9/11 as post-9/11? what about willingness to sign up, was that polled

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

KomradeX posted:

can i see some

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

americans approved of the military as much pre-9/11 as post-9/11? what about willingness to sign up, was that polled
People approved of the military but they weren't chugging their nuts like post-9/11

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There was a bunch of hype from the Persian Gulf, they were giving playing cards with armored vehicles at parades. it went from fairly standard nationalism to creepy degrees of it after 9/11.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

thanks to its research in Afghan Girl Magic, the U.S. will have wide-ranging superiority in all kinds of situations. it will never lose.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

croup coughfield posted:

can i see some

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1666/military-national-defense.aspx

pick whichever numbers fit your desired conclusion, as that is the purpose of polling

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

Trabisnikof posted:

pick whichever numbers fit your desired conclusion, as that is the purpose of polling

too confusing@!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

that highest spike for 'too little' is interesting. iran hostages i guess

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Theres a difference between willing to sign up and a vauge I support the military.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

there's no way

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
1 year doing real war on a single 2500km front, and NATO is getting real tired

world's most expensive paper tiger

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They were no-poo poo oriented around a war that lasted 3 weeks or until the end of the world, whichever came first until 1991, and then it was just expeditionary wars to fine tune the End of History, so you can't blame them for not realizing land wars require munitions.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

They were no-poo poo oriented around a war that lasted 3 weeks or until the end of the world, whichever came first until 1991, and then it was just expeditionary wars to fine tune the End of History, so you can't blame them for not realizing land wars require munitions.

would you rather make 1 dollar/shell and make a billion shells, or 1 billion dollars/plane and make one plane?

plus, people may actually expect the shells to work

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

indigi posted:

there's no way

https://twitter.com/USAmbKabul/status/1626269056813654019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delta-Wye posted:

even funnier when "only a gas station" russia is outshooting them like 10:1

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Delta-Wye posted:

This Stoltenberg guy sounds like a red-fash Putler bot. The reality is that Ukraine has tons of ammo and equipment while the Russians are sending in waves of prisoners armed with filthy rags and sharp sticks. In fact, they have been out of bullets and shells for 6 months and half their tanks have been stolen by farmers.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
idk how the gently caress anyone thinks a real deal actual war with china is going to work. its going to be funny when the west loses access to asian manufacturing capacity while simultaneously having to retool our domestic industry for military production. the people in charge think they can just buy whatever whenever at any quantity and have no conceptual understanding that everything has to be manufactured. manufacturing requires supply chains, and those supply chains require long term nurturing and development.

if you don't assume extreme incompetence they are either bluffing and aren't planning for a proper conflict to happen, or they expect it to go nuclear so fast who gives a gently caress. im worried its the latter lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
china will surrender once the shooting starts if we stop selling their geforce 4090s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

idk how the gently caress anyone thinks a real deal actual war with china is going to work. its going to be funny when the west loses access to asian manufacturing capacity while simultaneously having to retool our domestic industry for military production. the people in charge think they can just buy whatever whenever at any quantity and have no conceptual understanding that everything has to be manufactured. manufacturing requires supply chains, and those supply chains require long term nurturing and development.

if you don't assume extreme incompetence they are either bluffing and aren't planning for a proper conflict to happen, or they expect it to go nuclear so fast who gives a gently caress. im worried its the latter lmao

Biden is literally the crypt keeper and his closest brush with anything like a war economy is the time he had to get a bunch of special goodboy exemptions from the Vietnam draft in the 60s. Everybody in power is simultaneously so old that they believe they have seen the sum total possibilities of this world and so sheltered that they have no loving idea whatsoever what war actually is, including people who were actually in the military and experienced war as an imperial occupier in various value-added foreign excursions to the developing world. The idea that the United States could get in over its head militarily is as alien to them as the idea that the Russian Imperial far east fleet could be defeated by the Japanese.