Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brawnfire posted:

I agree Elnor was charming and welcome as a personality. I'd drop the whole sword elf angle and just make him a young Romulan coming to grips with what being Romulan means after everything that's happened to Romulus. Having him join the Federation was somewhat intriguing and I'd have liked to see more of one of the first Romulans in Starfleet after centuries of mistrust and tensions reaching an inflection point like that.

Yeah, the basic reboot of him we got in ep1 of s2 was exactly what I wanted. He's an earnest eager Starfleet cadet. This lasted roughly an episode, until he was back to beheading people again. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like all the new characters quite a bit, the writing screwing them over for temporary drama at every opportunity really sucked.

I don't like the Soongh/Soji of 2024 but I don't really count them as characters. I liked the original Soji well enough.

Of all the new characters, Raffi is the one I like the least but the actor is charming and fun when they let her be out give her a scene where she's doing something cool, instead of a scene where she's talking about how she's the only one who feels, man, and does a vape. Or telling other people who are trying to do their job how bad they are.

Raffi doing some hacking or exploiting knowledge of starfleet procedure or calling in a favor is good, I like that Raffi.

I even like her drama that her obsession with the romulan conspiracy cost her her career and estranged her from her family. Dealing with her son and finding out she had a grandchild was really good drama. Getting some redemption on all of that at the end of season one should have been a lot more cathartic than it was.

But lashing out at everyone about Elnor because of a relationship that took place ENTIRELY off screen and someone no other characters were to blame for or had control over, was completely alienating. Like Hamlet whining to all his family that they didn't know how to grieve and only he knows true grief for his father. Hamlet is supposed to be angsty teenage twat, I don't think Raffi is.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 16, 2023

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Raffi breaking down from her vulnerabilities the first time actually hit. The second time it was a bit disingenuous. It hasn't worked since.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only time I want to see people breakdown on Star Trek is if they are trapped in a dream world and their fake editor spikes their sci fi story or they are cacheing the katra of a Vulcan suffering from Bendii disorder, thanks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I like how the service record that Raffi's handler shows her mentions all of her drug addiction problems and discharge and whatever, but then mentions that those incidents were later erased from her service record.

Y'know, the same service record that still mentions them.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe they're teasing some kind of scary overlord rogue intelligence agency, something no Trek show has ever covered before!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DOOMocrat posted:

Maybe they're teasing some kind of scary overlord rogue intelligence agency, something no Trek show has ever covered before!

Section 31-A

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

You didn't find the Space Legolas, aimed to cater to the "I studied the blade"-crowd, annoying or just blatant attempt to make Trek have Jedi knight equivalent? That was to me by far the most stupid thing that has no excuse stemming from either prior series writing (Picard is incurably ill) or COVID-19 messing with the production (last episode fleet scenes and tentacle monsters).

I'll be honest with you, as someone who's into both the whole "noble knight" trope AND hot guys with long hair, I did not mind one bit.
I was however, really annoyed by the vaping. Talk about something that instantly dated your show

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's only one Space Legolas and his name is Andros power ranger

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought the elf guy was stupid and giving every alien culture their own secret society of space knights is lame

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I thought the elf guy was stupid and giving every alien culture their own secret society of space knights is lame

The perfect av post combo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who are the secret human space knighst

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
This might be a long shot, but does anyone know if there's anywhere you could buy an office chair shaped like a captain's chair of any series? Not a model, not a gaming chair, but like a copy of a prop used in the show. I figured there would be some Star Trek merchandise but maybe there's no demand for this or they don't allow replicas to be commercially made because I can't really find anywhere that has it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Terra Templar

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't think the first episode of Picard was that bad. Like it wasn't amazing, but it was still pretty good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

Section 31

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I didn't think the first episode of Picard was that bad. Like it wasn't amazing, but it was still pretty good.

Someone else in the other thread referred to it as "aggressively fine" and I agree with that judgement. Then again, the premieres of both Season 1 and Season 2 were also that type of "there's nothing immediately wrong with things here" type of schmuck bait too. Let's see how everyone's feeling come mid-March.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

zoux posted:

End of Picard has a mysterious huge lantern jawed man asking him if he wants to join the Astartes initiative

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Meatgrinder posted:

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know if there's anywhere you could buy an office chair shaped like a captain's chair of any series? Not a model, not a gaming chair, but like a copy of a prop used in the show. I figured there would be some Star Trek merchandise but maybe there's no demand for this or they don't allow replicas to be commercially made because I can't really find anywhere that has it.

A lot of chairs used on Star Trek, including a few Captain's chairs, are ordinary commercially-available chairs, sometimes modified a little but often just used as-is. I get the impression that they tended to be on the expensive side, though, and they'd probably be even more so now. But hey, they're the exact chairs that were used in the show.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/chairs-trek.htm

NOTE: this site may still be blocking SA as a referrer, so if you get an error, just copy-paste the url into a new tab instead.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't know who made this, it was reposted on a discord, but it's great.

quote:

I spent entirely too much time making this. I had ChatGPT generate a scene for Star Trek: TNG with the prompt: Write a screenplay for an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" about Data trying to make people fall for the "pull my finger" gag.

I fed the lines into xVASynth, using some Star Trek models I found on their Discord. Threw it all into Audacity with some music and sound effects, and now I present to you:
https://vocaroo.com/1e8Oy4DCo1iz

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

A lot of chairs used on Star Trek, including a few Captain's chairs, are ordinary commercially-available chairs, sometimes modified a little but often just used as-is. I get the impression that they tended to be on the expensive side, though, and they'd probably be even more so now. But hey, they're the exact chairs that were used in the show.

NOTE: this site may still be blocking SA as a referrer, so if you get an error, just copy-paste the url into a new tab instead.

Yeah, EAS blocks linking from SA due to some long-standing beef that I can never remember. But just that it's a thing that happened is funny as hell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, EAS blocks linking from SA due to some long-standing beef that I can never remember. But just that it's a thing that happened is funny as hell.

Probably some Aatrek related bullshit, in which case I'm with Bernd, gently caress us.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, I've seen this but they have little to offer by way of captain's chair. I initially started looking for the Enterprise D's chair since it looks reasonably easy to produce but no luck, and nothing for Kirk's chairs either.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIczjVQckEE

This popped up in my recommendations on Youtube, and I'm sharing it because a) it's pretty cool; I've never seen much behind the scenes stuff for TWoK, and b) Ricardo Montalban seemed like a really genuinely good dude. It's one of those situations where you're glad he made a name for himself as Khan but you're sorry that he's defined by a single villainous role he played later in his career.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

He had a pretty healthy career outside of Star Trek (like he was starring in Fantasy Island at the time as well)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Feldegast42 posted:

He had a pretty healthy career outside of Star Trek (like he was starring in Fantasy Island at the time as well)

He was the villain in Naked Gun!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And he introduced the world to the Chrysler Cordoba's fine Corinthian leather seats.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know that Montalban regretted being defined by that role (I also think he wasn't outside of the fandom, he was an extremely prolific actor), he apparently jumped at the chance to play Khan again and did TWOK for 100k

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't think it was anything SA-specific, he's just paranoid about people stealing his bandwidth so there's a very tiny whitelist of acceptable referrers

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think he regretted it, but he may have inadvertently been typecast by it. Though it did give us Vincent Ludwig in The Naked Gun, so it all worked out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1626258093016330241

https://i.imgur.com/i9fPrnd.mp4

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
You can't build an Arcology here! You will regret this!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Borg? Sounds Swedish Arabian...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Yes, I've seen this but they have little to offer by way of captain's chair. I initially started looking for the Enterprise D's chair since it looks reasonably easy to produce but no luck, and nothing for Kirk's chairs either.

Huh? Kirk’s TOS chair is on there, so is the -E’s, and the Defiant’s. I don’t see the -D’s, though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Someone needs to tell them to finish one of their dozen unfinished stupidprojects before announcing a new one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
their idea to destroy the ocean to doodle some tacky island hotel suburb already start sinking into the ocean and they mostly gave up on many of them and their coast is now just littered with failed piles of destroyed ocean dredge

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tom Guycot posted:

Someone needs to tell them to finish one of their dozen unfinished stupidprojects before announcing a new one.
Oh yeah, like their linear single-building megacity that's going to be 500 metres high and 170 kilometers long. And that is also open at the top. In a country famous for massive sandstorms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

their idea to destroy the ocean to doodle some tacky island hotel suburb already start sinking into the ocean and they mostly gave up on many of them and their coast is now just littered with failed piles of destroyed ocean dredge

There's an adage I've heard repeated a few times now among Arabian and Emirati millennials: my great grandfathers rode camels, my father drove a Mercedes, I drive a Maserati, my great grandsons will ride camels.

I've never forgotten it. Because even they know their heyday has an expiry date, and when it all comes crashing down, it's going to crash hard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV approves of that construction project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Suddenly wondering if that movie Cube starring Nicole de Boer still holds up