Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

bold move considering when he started ippo he was one foot in the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

It’s gonna be their first time and Kumi sees Ippo’s heavyweight attachment and go “you know what, you should go back to boxing”

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgS61zgPEg

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i reject 'warlee', absolutely not.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Well you don't have to worry about it anymore.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
“He’s on the same level as me!”

Ricardo you beat him like a rag doll let’s calm down here

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its like going toe to toe for 1minute vs. base form frieza during the namek arc.

then get killed instantly by final form frieza

no, its not the same

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, so like Vegeta.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
re: kumi, it really is almost entirely Ippo's "fault" that there's this tension here

kumi has been pretty blatant and clear about what she thinks and why she thinks it. from her perspective, boxing doesn't really add anything to either ippo or ryo's life. kumi loves ippo the person, not ippo the boxer, she would still have loved him even if he never really boxed. ryo has been using his sister as an excuse to fight for ages, the whole "i have to take care of her thing" is absurd, she's been employed in a good job for 99% of the manga, and it's not like boxing is the only thing that could theoretically supplement that income, but ryo isnt as keen on Just Working Construction, he LIKES being able to fight.

kumi's also a medical professional and knows perfectly well the real danger that they're putting themselves in. last time ippo fought he was tumbling around the ring like a drunk giraffe against a boxer not even half as good as him. ryo literally assaulted a man and was banned for ages from the sport. are these the results they're looking for? for kumi, a character that doesn't need to see ippo as a warrior to love him, and as a sister that doesn't need her brother to be a fighter to love him, boxing seems to add so little to what she cares for about them and risk taking away so much from them both (a theme more and more pronounced for the last few years)

and like was said before, ippo loving SUCKS at communicating with her! the only conversation they've had on this matter is ippo telling her that he'll quit the next time he loses, and for good reason!

whenever kumitalk comes up (not on here, mostly in the subreddit) i get annoyed because its like people think she KNOWS she's in a manga called Hajime no Ippo. but from her perspective its completely reasonable to say "yeah its probably not a great idea to return to the ring given you almost lost everything last time out"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

tbp posted:

re: kumi, it really is almost entirely Ippo's "fault" that there's this tension here

kumi has been pretty blatant and clear about what she thinks and why she thinks it. from her perspective, boxing doesn't really add anything to either ippo or ryo's life. kumi loves ippo the person, not ippo the boxer, she would still have loved him even if he never really boxed. ryo has been using his sister as an excuse to fight for ages, the whole "i have to take care of her thing" is absurd, she's been employed in a good job for 99% of the manga, and it's not like boxing is the only thing that could theoretically supplement that income, but ryo isnt as keen on Just Working Construction, he LIKES being able to fight.

kumi's also a medical professional and knows perfectly well the real danger that they're putting themselves in. last time ippo fought he was tumbling around the ring like a drunk giraffe against a boxer not even half as good as him. ryo literally assaulted a man and was banned for ages from the sport. are these the results they're looking for? for kumi, a character that doesn't need to see ippo as a warrior to love him, and as a sister that doesn't need her brother to be a fighter to love him, boxing seems to add so little to what she cares for about them and risk taking away so much from them both (a theme more and more pronounced for the last few years)

and like was said before, ippo loving SUCKS at communicating with her! the only conversation they've had on this matter is ippo telling her that he'll quit the next time he loses, and for good reason!

whenever kumitalk comes up (not on here, mostly in the subreddit) i get annoyed because its like people think she KNOWS she's in a manga called Hajime no Ippo. but from her perspective its completely reasonable to say "yeah its probably not a great idea to return to the ring given you almost lost everything last time out"

Basically, she has Fourth Wall Myopia. Her point 100% still stands though and other manga like RRR and Ashita no Joe have had these issues be part of their stories.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thank God TV Tropes can explain this character for all of us

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

linking to tvtropes should be an automatic sixer

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mimi is just skylering it’s fine

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Mimi is just skylering it’s fine

Now I'm imagining a HnI live action US remake that somehow takes the world by storm and there's this vicious social media backlash about that BITCH Kumi who won't just gently caress off and let Ippo slowly kill himself on other people's fists :argh:

vvv
:aaa:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 17, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Takes No Damage posted:

Now I'm imagining a HnI live action US remake that somehow takes the world by storm and there's this vicious social media backlash about that BITCH Kumi who won't just gently caress off and let Ippo slowly kill himself on other people's fists :argh:

So...

Rocky?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone, ANYONE who hated on Adrian deserved the electric chair

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The thing is people are going "Oh Ippo's being dumb" but remember... Ippo still hasn't even hinted he'd like to come back, right now this is still EVERYONE ELSE! Even when confronted about it, Ippo seems perfectly content, the itch has not yet returned to him. Yes, it's an inevitable occurrence, but like... It's not like he's going elsewhere to fight gently caress in secret, he's very clear on how he feels and what he wants.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone, ANYONE who hated on Adrian deserved the electric chair

Who the hell hated Adrian???!!! Other than Pauly, who deserved to die in a Philly gutter, and or have his robot wife assassinate him before Rock leaves for Russia. At least when Stallone first wrote Adrian she communicates in a way he understands, a grown up normal person. And Talia Shire is a fantastic actress.

Kumi is just as culpable in not voicing her concerns, as much as Ippo is a moron for not saying what he really wants out of his professional life and personal aspiratios. Both characters of the manga are written at the whims of someone who obviously doesn't want them to talk like adults for dramatic tension purposes and comedic moments that play out as extremely dated tropes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

“He’s on the same level as me!”

Ricardo you beat him like a rag doll let’s calm down here

I mean, when you go back to the previous Ricardo fight, where he was like "Oh, Date survived into the later rounds against me. I blocked his greatest punch with my elbow, shattering his hand. This is the toughest fight I've ever been in woof."

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Onmi posted:

The thing is people are going "Oh Ippo's being dumb" but remember... Ippo still hasn't even hinted he'd like to come back, right now this is still EVERYONE ELSE! Even when confronted about it, Ippo seems perfectly content, the itch has not yet returned to him. Yes, it's an inevitable occurrence, but like... It's not like he's going elsewhere to fight gently caress in secret, he's very clear on how he feels and what he wants.

Imo this is why Sendo doesn't die, he's 'satisfied' like Sanada or, now, Wally. The only thing getting Ippo back in the ring is the answer to 'What does it mean to be strong?' and the best person to direct Ippo to Ricardo is the other person who had that same question getting it answered.

(Takamura is the one who dies, and it's to set up the stakes for world champ Ippo vs. challenger Miyata)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What if Ippo's story ends with helping Sendo becoming world champ

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bisse posted:

It would mean Morikawa got sick or lost interest.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Bisse posted:

I guess I was giving Mori the credit of writing an ending that makes sense with what he's written up to this point instead of ending on an anticlimax, but I *do* actually think the ending conflict is going to be Ippo choosing to take the L to avoid Miyata becoming Joe Yabuki 2.0 (reaching the conclusion that true strength comes from internal understanding of self, not external validation)

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Ippo is going to come back to boxing because Miyata promises to kiss him if he becomes world champ. Stop overthinking things.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
it's not a complicated story, but I promise you don't have to pretend to be stupid to enjoy it. It's actually good to enjoy simple things thoughtfully made.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BHB posted:

Imo this is why Sendo doesn't die, he's 'satisfied' like Sanada or, now, Wally. The only thing getting Ippo back in the ring is the answer to 'What does it mean to be strong?' and the best person to direct Ippo to Ricardo is the other person who had that same question getting it answered.

(Takamura is the one who dies, and it's to set up the stakes for world champ Ippo vs. challenger Miyata)

That's pretty much it, minus the second thing. Ippo's entire drive has been "What does it mean to be strong." Everyone goes to Joe or Rocky but in neither case the motivation anywhere near similar. The big thing, set up since Ippo started shifting from boxing to coaching was the line in the dirt. Ippo didn't want it, he wasn't a monster. Sendo dying doesn't answer that question, Woli dying doesn't answer that question. They don't raise it again, they don't provide a path to take. Joe got in the ring because he wanted to kill himself out of revenge and grief. Rocky got in the ring out of revenge, and then later in Balboa, because Adiren was dead and he was miserable. Stallone even pointed out the only reason Rocky considered getting back in the ring was Adrien having been passed away, if she hadn't, he never would.

Rather than try to go "Well this happened in Ashita No Joe, ergo-" Stop trying to map a character who isn't Ippo onto Ippo. He could not be further from Joe motivationwise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like retirement Ippo a lot so i'm not sure I want him to get back in the ring to become world champ or whatever but I think regardless of where the story ends up going he does probably need 1 more match.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
The retirement arc has grown on me, really feels like things are moving along again.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

retirement arc be good if ippo had a serious disciple instead of the comic relief kunckleheads

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Ippo adopted a couple of stupid bullies that think he's the coolest

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

BHB posted:

I guess I was giving Mori the credit of writing an ending that makes sense with what he's written up to this point instead of ending on an anticlimax, but I *do* actually think the ending conflict is going to be Ippo choosing to take the L to avoid Miyata becoming Joe Yabuki 2.0 (reaching the conclusion that true strength comes from internal understanding of self, not external validation)

i get the notion you're going toward here, but i would genuinely contend that there is no ending that makes sense without ippo returning and fighting ricardo. i just can't see it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Onmi posted:

That's pretty much it, minus the second thing. Ippo's entire drive has been "What does it mean to be strong." Everyone goes to Joe or Rocky but in neither case the motivation anywhere near similar. The big thing, set up since Ippo started shifting from boxing to coaching was the line in the dirt. Ippo didn't want it, he wasn't a monster. Sendo dying doesn't answer that question, Woli dying doesn't answer that question. They don't raise it again, they don't provide a path to take. Joe got in the ring because he wanted to kill himself out of revenge and grief. Rocky got in the ring out of revenge, and then later in Balboa, because Adiren was dead and he was miserable. Stallone even pointed out the only reason Rocky considered getting back in the ring was Adrien having been passed away, if she hadn't, he never would.

Rather than try to go "Well this happened in Ashita No Joe, ergo-" Stop trying to map a character who isn't Ippo onto Ippo. He could not be further from Joe motivationwise.

big agreed. HnI is not anywhere NEAR as cynical a story as Ashita no Joe. i summed this up on the subreddit not terribly long ago, but if the main thesis of HnI is "methodical self analysis and expression/actualization of self is the key to happiness and growth", AnJ's main thesis is "the rich/powerful will force you to dance to death for their own entertainment, but you might still be able to find meaning in life despite that". they are just so ridiculously opposed to one another as stories

HnI takes a lot of little moments from AnJ but its as a love letter rather than specifically going for the plot beats. a great example of this is sendo's second loss to ippo actually. remember the scene where he's on the train and sendo acknowledges the celebration from the travelling fans? can you loving EVER imagine Joe Yabuki doing that? not at all, Joe would have cursed them off or something and then curled up in a ball underneath a highway in the pouring rain while danpei drinks himself into a stupor.

now, literally all of that said... it IS a little nervewracking for me that sendo is going to fight ricardo. sendo will hold on FOREVER, he legit won't lose anywhere near as "easily" as Woli. he'd rather die. and we now have two characters pretty blatantly based off AnJ, fighting on the same stage... i don't think Sendo will die, but i also think it's pretty likely his next fight is his last.

one more thought: a theme that's been brought up in a big way during the retirement arc is what the victor "owes" the defeated. sendo never got the chance to beat ippo, and if his fight against ricardo is his last, does ippo "owe" sendo anything? will ippo feel that he does, even if it's unreasonable? would sendo even ASK that of him? and if he does, what will the response be?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

tbp posted:

i get the notion you're going toward here, but i would genuinely contend that there is no ending that makes sense without ippo returning and fighting ricardo. i just can't see it.

Ippo v Ricardo is absolutely going to happen, I just think there are fights afterwards with Ippo as WC.

e: agree also that this is an optimistic story at its heart. Stakes are high, but boxing has been a net positive for most of the fighters we've seen.

BHB fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 19, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like you could probably end the story without Ippo as champ or without even doing Ippo vs Martinez though you'd want them to have something of a significant confrontation or arc together anyway.

I feel like the only match i'm confident Ippo is going to have is finally doing the rematch with Miyata.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if Ippo ever does become world champ I can only imagine it happening in 2030 at the earliest

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think the story could end with Ippo choosing a non-braindamaged average schmuck life over going into the ring again, and be a coach instead.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

maybe ippo will go back when takamura gets actual brain damage, and coach finds out he has 6 months to live, and he's the only hope left to give coach one final memory

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1412

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
please for the love of god, just let the Kumi - Ippo confrontation actually happen this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

With so many romcom anime pairings finally happening it's time for Ippo to confess.