Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/1625984174309150720

Disney ya gotta stop this.

I saw an interesting question on twitter the other day: are kids these days watching (and rewatching over and over) the old animated Lion King or the new live action one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

I saw an interesting question on twitter the other day: are kids these days watching (and rewatching over and over) the old animated Lion King or the new live action one

This is apparently not from the new film, but is fan art from back in October.

https://thedisinsider.com/2022/10/15/see-it-newly-surfaced-fan-artwork-reimagines-flounders-look-in-the-live-action-little-mermaid/

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Children live in a vastly different entertainment umwelt than we did as children. It's not like they own 1-2 special VHSes and get to go to blockbuster maybe once a week. They have near unlimited choices everyday.

An they choose to send us to the Cocomelon mines. If the Thundercats gave us a generation of furries, I'm terrified of the dead eyed animation children growing up now will develop their paraphilias around.

The rhythmic sound of poorly animated bodies slapping together when a soft jingle starts to play:

"Are we there yet?"
"Not yet."
"Are we there yet?"
"Not yet."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The reason I trust the Netflix's own top ten list is because cocomelon is always up there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Incelshok Na posted:

Children live in a vastly different entertainment umwelt than we did as children. It's not like they own 1-2 special VHSes and get to go to blockbuster maybe once a week. They have near unlimited choices everyday.

An they choose to send us to the Cocomelon mines. If the Thundercats gave us a generation of furries, I'm terrified of the dead eyed animation children growing up now will develop their paraphilias around.

The rhythmic sound of poorly animated bodies slapping together when a soft jingle starts to play:

"Are we there yet?"
"Not yet."
"Are we there yet?"
"Not yet."

Despite those vast options, kids still want to watch the same movie over and over. My niece literally only has Disney+ so she can watch Frozen 3 times a day for a few months, then Frozen 2. It changes every couple weeks, but its the same thing we all did.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My nieces and I have bonded over the new DuckTales which they're in love with and just the right age to appreciate the differences between it and the original, as well as all the industry injokes they're becoming aware of. They keep rewatching it to the point where they have one-off gag lyrics memorized. It still happens

e: as a Disney Family they would be a perfect audience for me to ask about the CGI remakes. I'll be seeing them tomorrow and will do so

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

My nieces and I have bonded over the new DuckTales which they're in love with and just the right age to appreciate the differences between it and the original, as well as all the industry injokes they're becoming aware of. They keep rewatching it to the point where they have one-off gag lyrics memorized. It still happens

e: as a Disney Family they would be a perfect audience for me to ask about the CGI remakes. I'll be seeing them tomorrow and will do so

Thank you for doing some real shoeleather journalism.

https://twitter.com/p_lyons_/status/1626124348074651648
lmao he really does

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't sleep on Physical 100 on Netflix everyone. A big recommendation from me (still haven't finished it yet)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I put it on and it was like an hour of muscle people getting a full backstory breakdown before any competition started and I lost interest do they start fighting or not

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The first episode of new season of Picard is not bad. Not a whole lot happens though, so its not clearly indicative of anything really. They did a good job of making me hate the Captain though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Lol I put it on and it was like an hour of muscle people getting a full backstory breakdown before any competition started and I lost interest do they start fighting or not

They do. And it's pretty violent. I dunno I guess I'm used to a lot of buildup in tournament arcs

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1626027078100582400

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/people/status/1626304444693463040

Only 67

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That really sucks :smith: 67 feels young for that to happen, but maybe not. My parents are in their early 70s so this kind of poo poo worries me.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i thought they announced this months ago

edit: oh, it was aphasia they announced before

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was announced that he was retiring due to aphasia, but it sounds like that was just a symptom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can have relatively normal cognitive function with aphasia, like John Fetterman did/does, so it wasn't necessarily a diagnosis, but combined with the stories about his presence on set it seemed likely it was going that direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a good reminder of time's grim march, today is the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Venture Bros.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Things weren't so good in the past and they're not so good now

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoux posted:

You can have relatively normal cognitive function with aphasia, like John Fetterman did/does, so it wasn't necessarily a diagnosis, but combined with the stories about his presence on set it seemed likely it was going that direction.

Yeah I think since it wasn't a symptom of something known to have occurred (like Fetterman's stroke), it was probably widely thought to be the onset of dementia.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Here's a good reminder of time's grim march, today is the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Venture Bros.

I saw this bit as a kid on Adult Swim, and remember being so confused as to what was going on, but drat that song loving slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0t76ktRwt0

I now think the show is very good!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Read After Burning posted:

I saw this bit as a kid on Adult Swim, and remember being so confused as to what was going on, but drat that song loving slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0t76ktRwt0

I now think the show is very good!
I'll never forget "This is Sky! We're gonna have a child!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, I gotta catch up, I've only seen like 4 of those 20 seasons of the show!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You know what? I’m okay with Venture Bros’ glacial production pace. They haven’t hosed anything up yet and I’d much rather see them take 4+ years per season than have it turned into some Rick and Morty bullshit that’s just churned out every year until the end of time.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It ran for 16 years on the BBC, they did nearly 30 episodes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Venture Bros is done though, right? No more coming out?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Venture Bros is done though, right? No more coming out?

There's a movie in the works.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the best part about the production pace was that Hammer and Publick grew up as I grew up. I'm glad the show is more mature now and their perspectives have widened a bit.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

Man, I gotta catch up, I've only seen like 4 of those 20 seasons of the show!

I got annoyed with how slow the episodes were coming in after the 2nd season and decided to just say gently caress it and wait until the show was over so I could binge them all.

That was before the word "binge" was even used like that. Now I'm in my 40s...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

DaveKap posted:

I'll never forget "This is Sky! We're gonna have a child!"

I’m legitimately shocked they haven’t followed up on that in some fashion. That seems like exactly the type of throw-away gag that would develop into a full-fledged subplot for that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

There's a movie in the works.

Both Jackson and Doc have posted updates recently showing that they're still plugging away on it.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Oh nooooooooo

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The future's inscrutable but VB is established enough as an IP that I have a hard time believing it would stay dead forever, although it may be resurrected twenty years from now with none of the original creators. Just like the OG Johnny Quest!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big fan of the thread title

Still remember when the linked VB S2 opener aired and [as] had a bumper saying the rights to the song cost some ridiculous amount of money to the point where it nearly derailed the whole season's production, and Jackson/Hammer tried like hell to find another song that would fit well enough with all the scenes they'd already storyboarded and conveyed the same vibe but just couldn't find anything, so they had to lobby for their lives to get AS to pony up the money. They finally caved, and here we are.

That clip deserves to outlive nearly everything else that era gave us

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's legit one of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgAw1G-4zY

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The drop in that song hits so good in that ep too

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
forever lol that the venture bros predates iraq war 2

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

What a heady time. The world was swept up with Norah Jones fever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Matt Nix has a new show in development at Fox, Archie & Pete will have Nix team up with Amy Holden Jones (creator and EP behind Fox show The Resident) for a show about a brash female detective who teams up with a polite and meek male scientist to solve crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hope it's good. He really hasn't had anything as great as Burn Notice and I miss that type of show.