Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sigher posted:

It Takes Two, We Need to Go Deeper, the "We Were Here" series come to mind. Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime is good but I don't remember if it has online.

Cool, we played a bit of Lovers doing couch co-op a while back and it was a sweet little game, we should pick it back up. I remember hearing that It Takes Two was pretty challenging which might rule it out for us.

It looks like Divinity Original Sin 2 works well on deck and has good co-op so I might check it in the next Steam sale. Thanks for the recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr.D-O posted:

I just ordered the 64 GB model. I really hope I made a good choice.

For some reason the idea of relying on an SD card rather than an SSD is making me anxious.

I've been using a 64 GB with an SD card for like 5/6 months now and life is good

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think it depends on whether you want to play contemporary AAA 100gig monster install games or not. I prefer playing old / lowfi / indie stuff on my deck so any version is gonna be fine for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm going to get a 64GB as well and I'm already accepting that I'm taking an MKE->CHI road trip to go to Microcenter and get the big one eventually

Try and find a goon to grab one locally and ship it. Mine is sadly about 45 minutes away in a direction I rarely go, otherwise I'd offer.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think it depends on whether you want to play contemporary AAA 100gig monster install games or not. I prefer playing old / lowfi / indie stuff on my deck so any version is gonna be fine for that.

AAA 100gig monster install games work just as well as indie games on an SD card. You're not sacrificing anything except install times. The load times are very comparable to SSD and game size has nothing to do with it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Yes and yes although you might have to enable wake on lan in your settings somewhere

Do I need to manually add the game to GeForceExperience? I own MCC on Steam, but when I connect on Moonlight on the Deck no games appear, although Steam does. Edit: only Titanfall 2 and Black Mesa appear as games, weird, and loading Steam just launches steam on my desktop in big picture mode but gives a handshake failed error. I was hoping this was plug and play but looks like I'll need to do a little tinkering.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 16, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

PageMaster posted:

Do I need to manually add the game to GeForceExperience? I own MCC on Steam, but when I connect on Moonlight on the Deck no games appear, although Steam does. Edit: only Titanfall 2 and Black Mesa appear as games, weird, and loading Steam just launches steam on my desktop in big picture mode but gives a handshake failed error. I was hoping this was plug and play but looks like I'll need to do a little tinkering.

Google Gamestream Playnite steam deck profiles. I prefer the desktop one over Playnite since Im just on my PCs desktop with it and can open anything

E: yeah you need to enable and add them in the SHIELD section of GeForce experience

e2: Off the shitter, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vao0yb/moonlightplaynite_with_a_custom_launch_script_is/

I also suggest using the 1080p profile, the desktop will look bad but all your games will be upscaled and very nice

e3: poo poo, also don't forget https://github.com/moonlight-stream/Internet-Hosting-Tool/releases for your main PC.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 16, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

resizing the user data partitions as needed.

You don't need to do this in SteamOS. If you boot it with unallocated space at the end of the boot SSD, SteamOS will helpfully resize /home to take up the available space.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Stream your entire desktop

quote:

Adding custom programs that are not automatically found

You can stream any almost any game or app by adding the EXE file to GFE manually (if it's not found by the automatic app scan). Open GeForce/Quadro Experience, click the Settings (gear) button, click SHIELD on the sidebar, then click the Add button on the right. Browse to the app or file you want to add and click OK. You can rename the app using the Edit button.

The next time the client opens and displays the App List, the newly added programs and games should be displayed and ready to stream.

If quitting an application doesn't stop Moonlight, press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Q on Moonlight PC to quit the streaming session. On Moonlight Android and iOS, pressing the home key will switch out of the streaming session. Choose the Quit Session option from the App List to fully quit the streaming session.

Using Moonlight to stream your entire desktop

Follow the steps above for adding a custom program, but for the path use: C:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe

You can rename the remote desktop entry using the Edit button. When you click this entry, you will see your full desktop where you can run whatever you want.

Even though the mstsc.exe executable is typically used for Microsoft Remote Desktop, this is only an indicator to GeForce/Quadro Experience that you want to stream your desktop. It does not actually launch mstsc.exe or use RDP to stream.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Party Boat posted:

Cool, we played a bit of Lovers doing couch co-op a while back and it was a sweet little game, we should pick it back up. I remember hearing that It Takes Two was pretty challenging which might rule it out for us.

It looks like Divinity Original Sin 2 works well on deck and has good co-op so I might check it in the next Steam sale. Thanks for the recommendations!

I wouldn't consider ITT any more challenging than the average mario game. But if your partner isn't comfortable navigating a 3D world with a second stick it might be tricky.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Moonlight also gives around 5 hours battery, so I like to pick that at night or when I know I'll have longer than 90mins - 2 hours

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My desktop has an ultrawide display so streaming is a little bit of a pain because I need to change the resolution on each game when I switch back and forth. I know it can downsample higher resolutions but adding bars on the deck for the aspect ratio change is losing a decent bit of screen space. I wish there was a simpler way, but I can't imagine one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s some program that automatically adjusts resolution for a given game and then back after, but I can’t find it in a quick scroll of this thread. Someone will be along with that information shortly, I’m confident.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

My desktop has an ultrawide display so streaming is a little bit of a pain because I need to change the resolution on each game when I switch back and forth. I know it can downsample higher resolutions but adding bars on the deck for the aspect ratio change is losing a decent bit of screen space. I wish there was a simpler way, but I can't imagine one.

Moonlight/Deck allows to set all that. I have a 3440x1440 so I know the pain streaming 1080p through Moonlight to my Deck

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played for 20 minutes for power wash simulator and the battery went down to 83%

totally worth the 17% battery usage

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I played for 20 minutes for power wash simulator and the battery went down to 83%

Imagine washing walls for 5 hours instead.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Barreft posted:

Imagine washing walls for 5 hours instead.

That was my favorite part of construction jobs

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Having a weird issue with my Deck and using a Bluetooth controller. I started playing docked a bit, which rules! However, every so often it will lose synch with the controller or something (Switch Pro Controller) and then the game will be completely uncontrollable using anything except the touch screen until I close it and reboot the Deck; closing and relaunching the game doesn't work. Has anyone encountered this before and figured out a more convenient fix? It's fine in a game that's always autosaving but *pretty bad* outside of that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sounds like bluetooth interference, are you particularoy far away from it? The fix for the game not being controllable with the Deck controls though I'm assuming is to go into the QAM and renumber the controllers.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
What's the dos2 control scheme actually like? I've seen a bunch of people say it's great on the deck but it seems like a weird fit to me

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

Are there any Euros here who have installed a new SSD, and if so, where did you acquire the SSD from? I'm just thinking on whether I should just get the 256Gb model or save a bit and get the 64Gb one to tinker with it. Unfortunately none of my regular computer parts stores seem to stock good brand SSD's and I'm kinda wary of buying a hard disk from some dude on eBay.

I'm seriously considering buying this thing. Looking at the thread now it seems the kinks have been mostly ironed out and some wonderful things are now happening in this space. I'm currently in a tight living situation where a proper gaming machine or a console is not an option and I want to play through the Yakuza series while lying in my bed - it feels like I'm the ideal user case, hah.

Amazon.de

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Add ~1 hour to your battery life by disabling wifi and bluetooth.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Samog posted:

What's the dos2 control scheme actually like? I've seen a bunch of people say it's great on the deck but it seems like a weird fit to me

Remember the game is available on consoles too, so it’s not like this is some wacky Frankenstein control scheme kludged together by the community to replace kb+m just for the deck.

Since combat in DOS2 is turn based it translates fine. You just select the skill from the action bar by selecting it instead of hitting your number row or clicking a box instead.

Moving around the world you can just use the analogue stick and run around like any third person character game instead of having to click around and move to, it’s a lot nicer in that respect too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I played dos2 with a controller and it was fine

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vic posted:

Add ~1 hour to your battery life by disabling wifi and bluetooth.

I'm thankful that I'm in a weird demographic where my steam deck IS my primary gaming PC, and not just the portable version of what I already had. I guess I don't mind playing plugged in most of the time :shrug:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've had random issues crop up like this. Got worse to the point it drained in a few minutes. But it really is just the deck losing track of the battery usage. Letting the battery run out in amin mode fixed it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone know which setting I should fiddle with to turn off Gordon’s X-ray vision in black mesa?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Does anyone know which setting I should fiddle with to turn off Gordon’s X-ray vision in black mesa?

I think it’s something to do with rolling back Proton versions.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Any recommendations for chill online co-op games that work well on the Deck? Mrs Boat and I have played a lot of Astroneer together and we're looking for something to scratch that same itch. We have two PCs in the house but my dream is to be chilling on the day bed in their study playing on deck while they game on their PC

Core Keeper. I have a server going with 5 friends and some of them just spend the entire time farming, fishing, or working on the base, while some of us go out fighting bosses and things. It's great.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sorry about that mixup with the discord link! i have replaced it with a link to a rick astley video.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Are there any games/genres where the Steam Deck's screen size feels too restricting? I'm thinking about CRPGs with lots of text and small icons, or a game like Prey where you're looking for subtle environmental details in dark areas.

I know there's a magnifier feature, but I'm curious if people who have been using the Deck for a while find themselves steering away from certain games specifically because of the screen size.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RandolphCarter posted:

Looks like setting it to the latest version of Proton GE will fix most of that, though I don't have the game to test it myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Are there any games/genres where the Steam Deck's screen size feels too restricting? I'm thinking about CRPGs with lots of text and small icons, or a game like Prey where you're looking for subtle environmental details in dark areas.

I know there's a magnifier feature, but I'm curious if people who have been using the Deck for a while find themselves steering away from certain games specifically because of the screen size.

I can't get on with colony management stuff like Rimworld. My eyes are bad and the text just doesn't work for me, not really. Some people love it though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, Rimworld was too small for me and I couldn't get used to the controls. I don't really like first person games on the deck since the little screen doesn't feel very immersive and that's a big part of fp games to me. I did actually try Prey specifically and didn't like it. Big spectacle AAA games feel a bit underwhelming on the deck and I'd prefer to play those on the TV or desktop.

I've been playing lots of jrpg stuff on my deck (FF5 and 6 pixel remaster, FF12, Trials of Mana, FFT emulated) which seems about perfect since they have big UIs and work well with half paying attention to the TV during grinding. Old games like Kingdoms of Amalur have some of their roughness smoothed away by the small screen and work great. Roguelikes with gamepad controls (Tangledeep, Golden Krone Hotel, Jupiter Hell, Wildermyth, etc) all work well. I haven't tried a crunchier crpg but as long as it had gamepad or gamepad friendly controls, I think they'd work fine.

I know some people play everything on the deck but that's been my usage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you set the proton version per-game? I see a lot of references to that and I can’t imagine that you have to keep a spreadsheet of what to set your deck to each time you start a new game

Non-deck owner question here, I’m sure.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you set the proton version per-game? I see a lot of references to that and I can’t imagine that you have to keep a spreadsheet of what to set your deck to each time you start a new game

Yeah, you basically tell the game which version specifically to run when setting it up. Per game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You set Proton versions per-game and the Deck will remember what Proton version everything is supposed to run under.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, that worked thanks. Now I just need to get the controls to feel good. Or finally get a wireless mouse and keyboard and set up my dock.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

You set Proton versions per-game and the Deck will remember what Proton version everything is supposed to run under.

Does it remember it even if you've uninstalled and then reinstalled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

mr...freeman (long sniff) wake up and .... see the...mm shadowmaps