Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like a lot of VR games just need some extra work on the presentation and they'd be good enough to attract more people. Like, Robo Recall still feels like a really slick, professional product, even now, and largely avoids a lot of the visually silly wobbly hand fumbling of VR with some clever design. A lot of VR games are simple, but they mostly need enough extra resources for some surface level polish and the simplicity wouldn't matter as much, especially if they can get a drip feed of new content like Walkabout or Synth Riders or Puzzling Places do. As it stands, even a lot of thread favourites just feel a bit cheap, like Walkabout as an example could do with more visual flair even just in the menus to really sell itself and bring people in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'd really like to see more games integrate VR and allow for crossplay, like Payday 2 does.

It's not going to be as revolutionary as dedicated VR games might be, but it means a wider playerbase. It's nice to be able to easily find Payday 2 or DCS games. I suspect it's more sustainable for developers, too, since there's more people who can buy your stuff. Personally, I'm still perfectly happy with "ordinary shooter but it's in VR" at any rate.

Which reminds me, I think it was really cool of the Deep Rock Galactic devs to officially endorse the VR mod, and allow players to progress their characters while using it. (I still want to get a better graphics card to be able to play it properly, and it's not finished yet, but it's still very cool!)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Compared to Until You Fall?

That's not physics based, but gesture based. Turns it into an entirely different thing. There's some gestures in Dragon Fist VR but only for special moves that happen once or twice per match, the majority of the combat is physical (ie you can slap the arm of your opponent out of the way to land a strike).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Walkabout as an example could do with more visual flair even just in the menus to really sell itself and bring people in.

Have you tried Walkabout since they overhauled the hub level? It's sprawling now, full of detail, minigames and takes advantage of lots of the new engine features they've been rolling out alongside the new courses.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 17, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like we got the 1-2-3 punch of boneworks, alyx and S&S and we really haven’t had much since and those games are a few years old now.

Honestly the best stuff is coming from modders these days. HL2VR is absolutely something valve should have made once they saw alyx top the charts.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
re: PS VR2, I feel like a lot of reviews and people in general are discounting or not even mentioning Resident Evil 8 and Gran Turismo, both of which are free upgrades. They have also been previewed enough that there shouldn't be any doubts about their quality and both are available at launch.

And all though we haven't had any previews No Man's Sky should be a very compelling upgrade specially for new comers to VR. Like if all I got was VR modes of full length flat games at the level of re8, no man's sky and gt7 and no vr only games I'd still be ecstatic. Also I think people over sell half life alyx's importance. I remember when it came out people complaining about all the vr conventions the industry had moved past and how the encounters in the game were not that great.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Payday 2: VR: I’m pretty happy with my bindings now, I can slide around using the stick, and dash using the trackpad, which also lets me climb stuff (haven’t tried a ladder yet, we’ll see). The direction of slide is relative to my head not the stick itself, which I dislike, but can live with.

But something is weird about the smooth movement. It’s smooth, but it’s like it’s…pulsed? It’s not stop and go, but it’s like it goes 90%, 100%, 90%, 100%, sorta like bad lag but my FPS doesn’t seem to be fluctuating. Maybe half a second at 100, and a second or so at 90. Holy cow that’s a recipe for motion sickness. I can somewhat play through it, but after a couple maps I gotta take a breather.

Would also be cool to snap turn but without that apparently very popular mod which had its currently compatible fork disappear from the net, I probably won’t get that. That’s okay, I can deal.

But this pulsed motion. Oof.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Hoping for an unbiased opinion to a specific situation. I had a quest 2 for like a year until my toddler knocked it off a counter and broke it about a year ago (tried troubleshooting, I can't get it to boot at all and a lens got scratched as well)

I'm of fairly limited means but have been asking for Amazon cards to save up to replace it for gifts and have like $400. But here's the kicker, I also own a ps5 and am now getting tempted over psvr2.

I have anxiety and absolutely adore some of the narrative quiet games. Red Matter and Moss I adored and cant wait for part 2 of. But I spent the majority of my time playing Population One (loving love it) and Beatsaber (with modded tracks that I can't get on psvr2).

I feel like I should just get a new oculus quest 2 so I can have my old library and add to it (had a decent amount of games, some not finished) but it feels like it's "last gen" whereas psvr2 feels "next gen"

Help.

Edit:I am very unlikely to have access to a gaming pc in the next 2 years but I have a lovely laptop I can do mod stuff on

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 17, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gejimayu posted:

…Moss I adored and cant wait for part 2 of

This probably doesn’t help you but Book II is out and wonderful and I just about cried a little.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I more meant I can't wait to access it. I'm aware it's on both platforms as of next week.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gejimayu posted:

I'm of fairly limited means but have been asking for Amazon cards to save up to replace it for gifts and have like $400. But here's the kicker, I also own a ps5 and am now getting tempted over psvr2.

I feel like if you're limited on money and you already have a bunch of games for the Quest 2 that you'd still like to play that really factors in to the cost calculation. Most of the big VR games do have PSVR 2 versions but you'd have to buy them all again which adds up quickly.

On the other hand, if you have the latest Resident Evil and Gran Turismo on the PS5 already those are getting free VR modes so that's a plus there.

Also: I don't know how pricing and sales will be on PSVR 2 software but on the Quest 2 you can get every title for 25% off whenever you want with app referrals, and you can also easily rack up lots of free money to spend by sending out your own app and device referrals. I have bought so many more games because of all the referral credits in my account.

One further complication though: Quest 3 is coming out this year for a similar price to the Quest 2 ($300-500) and will be much smaller and more comfortable with way better visual clarity thanks to the pancake lenses.

Maybe buy used and just replace the headset part? Seems like you can find them for about $160 on eBay easily, this one's only $152 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2254058995...emis&media=COPY

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“Both” platforms? Sorry, not trying to be dense, it just comes naturally. I played it on PCVR a while ago, I just always assume that’s the last place for anything to show up, so like, if it hasn’t made it to Quest yet or whatever, color me shocked.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I just said it that way to convey it easily. It's not out on psvr2 but will be by the time it matters for me

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Is there a realistic release date for quest 3?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, gotcha.

e: I’ve heard October but I don’t know that there’s anything concrete at all, except maybe for sure this year?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I love me some NMS but my problem with the VR version is that, in the end, VR just makes the core gameplay of NMS slower and less accurate to accomplish. If you're exploring and enjoying the sights thanks to VR, you're not actually "playing" NMS. This is part of a larger problem I have with content overall that continues today.

It reminds me of this project I saw that integrated ChatGPT into Mount & Blade II to make the NPCs come alive. Like, it's a fascinating idea. Instead of a dialogue tree you have a text window, and the NPCs communicate with an understanding of their environment and world events. It's super cool.

:yosbutt: BUT in a very real sense, it really just makes the core gameplay of Mount & Blade II slower and harder to engage with! Instead of clicking ACCEPT QUEST you now have to converse about it. But you don't want to chat up an NPC, you want to know who to go punch to get a reward. And instead of mashing BUY GRAIN, you now chit chat, and so on. But playing Mount & Blade II isn't about doing any of that, and the game is not enhanced by adding it in. So it's a great demo of an idea, but it doesn't -- in this context -- make the game better. It makes it worse.

This isn't new ground in game design. Every game that tried to make you (for example) draw magic runes with the mouse to cast a spell instead of clicking a button in the name of immersion / simulation / realism has gone the way of the dodo, and for good reason. Even though VR has had a few "Rock Band" moments already, we're still pretty solidly in that same figuring stuff out phase.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Eyes Have It posted:

I love me some NMS but my problem with the VR version is that, in the end, VR just makes the core gameplay of NMS slower and less accurate to accomplish. If you're exploring and enjoying the sights thanks to VR, you're not actually "playing" NMS. This is part of a larger problem I have with content overall that continues today.

It reminds me of this project I saw that integrated ChatGPT into Mount & Blade II to make the NPCs come alive. Like, it's a fascinating idea. Instead of a dialogue tree you have a text window, and the NPCs communicate with an understanding of their environment and world events. It's super cool.

:yosbutt: BUT in a very real sense, it really just makes the core gameplay of Mount & Blade II slower and harder to engage with! Instead of clicking ACCEPT QUEST you now have to converse about it. But you don't want to chat up an NPC, you want to know who to go punch to get a reward. And instead of mashing BUY GRAIN, you now chit chat, and so on. But playing Mount & Blade II isn't about doing any of that, and the game is not enhanced by adding it in. So it's a great demo of an idea, but it doesn't -- in this context -- make the game better. It makes it worse.

This isn't new ground in game design. Every game that tried to make you (for example) draw magic runes with the mouse to cast a spell instead of clicking a button in the name of immersion / simulation / realism has gone the way of the dodo, and for good reason. Even though VR has had a few "Rock Band" moments already, we're still pretty solidly in that same figuring stuff out phase.

I agree with you on No Man's Sky, but plenty of people like it for reasons I can't understand. I think it's all the things critics say of it, shallow, boring, etc.
However, I disagree with you on an entirely fundamental level way hard about the Mount and Blade ChatGPT thing. I don't just want 'numbers go up', I want to engage and pretend I'm someone else, like some person running around a fantasy world keeping my army fed and talking with the local population. The reason those things have been abstracted in a video-game way is because it had to be. To use VR as the analog and what Lemming is always harping on, now with VR we are able to control our pretend-characters in ways that couldn't be done before. You used to press a button to play a canned animation and go "wow I hit that guy!" but now in VR with the controls we have you can actually swing at the guy and go "wow I ACTUALLY hit that guy!"
I'm not playing Mount and Blade (or any game) to save time, I'm doing it wholly and completely to lose myself in enjoyment of pretend. For someone like me that plays Dungeons and Dragons with my friends to engage in conversation with NPCs and learn about the world more so than gathering loot or levels, stuff like organic conversations make the game far better.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
I only ever played NMS in VR (as in reached the center and beat the available story lines) and all the slow drudgery of the vr implementation was still engaging to me because it was VR. It didn't matter that i could do things faster or more accurately in flat screen. I never even played it on a monitor with mouse and keyboard and had no interest to. But the whole appeal to me was role playing the scenario of being this lone wanderer in space.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I found a nice little planet in NMS that had no atmosphere so you could see every planet in the system and every star in the sky. I want more of that. I want a game where you can vibe on a quiet alien planet and disconnect from the real world.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
NMS VR is more appealing that NMS flatscreen because it's detracting from a the core gameplay loop that loving sucks. Looking at the various procgen environments and creatures in VR is more compelling than the piss-easy number-go-up material grinding that serves no purpose because there's nothing to actually overcome.

This is why despite being simpler, unfinished, and a mod that breaks every update, Valheim VR kicks the poo poo out of No Man's Sky VR. There are actual challenges present in the former. Plus Valheim VR can be played flawlessly in multiplayer, while the last time I touched NMS anything involving a base was completely and utterly broken in multiplayer so you can't even explore people's cool builds.

It's like most of the complaints people have about VR games, but it's all present in the flatscreen version too.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 17, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

Payday 2: VR: I’m pretty happy with my bindings now, I can slide around using the stick, and dash using the trackpad, which also lets me climb stuff (haven’t tried a ladder yet, we’ll see). The direction of slide is relative to my head not the stick itself, which I dislike, but can live with.

But something is weird about the smooth movement. It’s smooth, but it’s like it’s…pulsed? It’s not stop and go, but it’s like it goes 90%, 100%, 90%, 100%, sorta like bad lag but my FPS doesn’t seem to be fluctuating. Maybe half a second at 100, and a second or so at 90. Holy cow that’s a recipe for motion sickness. I can somewhat play through it, but after a couple maps I gotta take a breather.

Would also be cool to snap turn but without that apparently very popular mod which had its currently compatible fork disappear from the net, I probably won’t get that. That’s okay, I can deal.

drat :(

I don't know what would be causing that. I didn't experience it myself.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Wire havers that have messed with ceiling pulley systems: is it worth the hassle of setting up? Is the difference that noticeable?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Chin Strap posted:

Wire havers that have messed with ceiling pulley systems: is it worth the hassle of setting up? Is the difference that noticeable?

It’s very worth it assuming it’s not in your living room because of how shamefully dorky it is. But you’re already dorked up pretty good by this point, so maybe going all out is sexy?

:shehuck:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s very worth it assuming it’s not in your living room because of how shamefully dorky it is. But you’re already dorked up pretty good by this point, so maybe going all out is sexy?

:shehuck:

Yeah it is going in living room. No I don't care.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VR Megathread: Yeah it is going in living room. No I don't care.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Chin Strap posted:

I use a ghetto version of this, 2 ceiling hooks with retracting badge reels. Works great! The cable never gets tangled up and always stays above me so I barely notice it's there most of the time.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Baby Proof posted:

2/$20 Sale on Steam VR games, some good deals including SkyrimVR, Superhot VR, Dragon Fist, Cave Digger 2, Ragnarock:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-infinity-vr-collection

The usual sale price for Skyrim is $15, but it occasionally dips below that.

This looks nice, anyone able to break down what's worthwhile in this list?

More broadly, is there a list of PCVR games worth looking at in general? Reviews or recommendations, I just want someone to sift through all the asset flips for me.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bad Munki posted:

could you have some interpolation/ASW/60hz->-120hz thing going on? don't remember that ever happening

and I've been meaning to record a video from the cyberpunk tram but it's borked and now I want to try valheim VR

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I updated my Quest 2 tonight and it shows the guardian boundary now the ENTIRE time. I can't make it go away. It shows through games, windows, etc. It's super jarring and makes me nauseous.

I tried resetting it, drawing a small boundary, nothing seems to help. If I'm using both controllers it goes away temporarily, but trying to play mini golf while holding both controllers sucks.

Any ideas?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

KakerMix posted:

You used to press a button to play a canned animation and go "wow I hit that guy!" but now in VR with the controls we have you can actually swing at the guy and go "wow I ACTUALLY hit that guy!"

And in the future, we might just stop hitting things.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Super Foul Egg posted:

I'd totally talk with NPCs instead, you bet your rear end.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you have AI generated NPC dialog, you can tell it to hurry up and give you cliff notes versions, things like that. Could potentially make quest giving less tedious.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

forest spirit posted:

could you have some interpolation/ASW/60hz->-120hz thing going on? don't remember that ever happening

and I've been meaning to record a video from the cyberpunk tram but it's borked and now I want to try valheim VR

Dunno what it was exactly but I looked closer at my frame timing in steamvr and it had the same pulsing going on. Watched the game closer, the bank map has a rotating cube sign, it was also doing it. Poked at a few settings, ended up messing with some motion smoothing stuff and I forget the other setting, got it smooth as silk and played a couple missions with no motion sickness at all. Hooray!

I can't find a map that has a ladder for me to play with so I can figure out how to make that work. Any suggestions? I think if I can figure out that one last thing, I'll be ready to drop into random games.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Keep forgetting to ask: I sometimes stream VR games for friends, via Discord, but I can't steam Steam's VR view. Whenever I try, apparently they just see a blank screen.

Anyone know how to fix this?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Super Foul Egg posted:

violence kicks rear end though

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EightFlyingCars posted:

:blastu:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

see?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I hate that this review has me hyped for the big screen headset.

I love my index, but its unwieldy and not the best. Since this is more or less a straight upgrade on the index and I already have all the controllers and base stations, yes its stupid expensive but the comfort and fidelity upgrades might make it worth it to me.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

EightFlyingCars posted:

It has its moments. It just shouldn't be all of them.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Super Foul Egg posted:

It has its moments. It just shouldn't be all of them.

i do have to admit i'd totally take a crack at Facade VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kill it with Fire, whose 2d version looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklZjNx3J_s

is coming to all VR platforms.

This is curious game where you are a radio DJ and have to help ppl avoid a serial killer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1K5PnNX4yg

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 17, 2023