Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Personally I would be surprised if they made any huge changes to the setting on the basis of Protecting the Brand from D&D, if only because this is also a project Mercer and co care about and bulldozing their setting to make things Trademarkable would be pretty remarkable.

also they seem to have extremely successful and profitable business relationship with wotc

no doubt they were against those stupid changes like everyone else in the community, but i think the "they are planning to get out of d&d" takes are overblown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

eke out posted:

also they seem to have extremely successful and profitable business relationship with wotc

no doubt they were against those stupid changes like everyone else in the community, but i think the "they are planning to get out of d&d" takes are overblown

I just keep in my mind that this crew is well seasoned at toting the party line until the exact second they throw the switch. Going back to "we have a great working relationship with Legendary Digital Networks and are proud to work with them on Project Alpha as a flagship show."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

xarph posted:

I just keep in my mind that this crew is well seasoned at toting the party line until the exact second they throw the switch. Going back to "we have a great working relationship with Legendary Digital Networks and are proud to work with them on Project Alpha as a flagship show."

Hell, Marisha and Tal were practically running the place until they peaced out.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pseudodragon posted:

Hell, Marisha and Tal were practically running the place until they peaced out.

Which, to be fair, if employees are "practically" running the place that means they not only have the skill and professional resources to run away and start their own business, they have an obligation to do so :colbert:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Today is Thursday.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

TotalHell posted:

Today is Thursday.

:shrug:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I need to know what the rolls were for. I'm going to become the Jester

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:frogsiren: It's fourteen o'clock and that means it's time for Campaign 3 Episode 49!!!!! :frogsiren:

I'm glad these "last week of the month" breaks exist or else I'd never be able to catch up :(

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
RayRay and TexasTea

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I feel like part of the reason Matt petrified Planerider Ryn was because he needed a way to stop BH's from using her as a uber

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The horizon is haunted

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Froghammer posted:

The horizon is haunted

Look at the sky Martin Orym. It's looking back :unsmigghh:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Blowing all of their spell slots on Sendings while the sky is visibly on fire is going to end well

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I love that Travis is literally rolling everyday for Chetney to see if he just dies in his sleep. And I don't think it's a bit.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ashton: “It doesn’t matter what they want they’re doing it wrong! You are being hosed with. We are being hosed with. Everyone is being hosed with. gently caress them and I am ready to drop a loving ship on their heads!”

Orym: “I agree with Ashton. It’s not a new plan. It the same plan, the age old plan. Leave a trail of bodies to get what you want.”

Ashton: “It’s easy to make a perfect world when you kill everyone that disagrees with you. Just make it to five then it will be a loving utopia!”

Let’s fuckin gooooo Ashton

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The rapid pacing has definitely convinced me this is probably the beginning of a major arc/paradigm shift, but not the end of the campaign.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Jetrauben posted:

The rapid pacing has definitely convinced me this is probably the beginning of a major arc/paradigm shift, but not the end of the campaign.

Yeah, there are enough unresolved character arcs/beats to make me feel like the next session isn't the finale (unless enough of them die outright trying to stop Ludinus/etc. for anyone remaining to be like, welp guess we'll start fresh with a new party in this new world!). I do wonder if the next episode will run however long it needs to in order to encompass the entire fight over the Apogee Solstice (like how this one ran as long as it needed to for them to reach day of Solstice by the end) so we might be in for another 7+ hour marathon depending on how things go.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The only character arcs I see close to a conclusion of some kind are Imogen and Orym's.

Orym mentioning his sister may be be on her way (who I have no recollection of him ever mentioning before) had me breaking out the tinfoil hat: Laura is looking to wrap up Imogen one way or another and Liam is laying the groundwork for them to play siblings again...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't think they've made any efforts to hide when they're preparing to wrap up a major series in the past

i see no reason to think that they'd do it secretly at level 8 while major characters (like Ashton) are still in the "only just telling us what their Deal is" phase of character progression

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah I think at most this could serve as a stepping-off point for some of the characters - Imogen is the obvious one but, outright death aside, just about any of them could be impacted enough by whatever happens next session to warrant some sort of PC retirement, whether temporarily or permanently.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think this creates the perfect opportunity for Matt to go full Planescape, and if the world changes enough, and if the world is really the IP of Critical Role, then maybe they also just ditch WOTC entirely for the next phase of this campaign. Or everyone dies and the next campaign is on another system where they can be interplanar space pirates or whatever.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

then maybe they also just ditch WOTC entirely for the next phase of this campaign.

Changing systems mid campaign is probably not going to happen without a multi-month break like they usually do between campaigns. System mastery is not a strong suit with this crew and I doubt they'd want to debut a new system where people are still figuring out the rules and make a bad first impression.

And switching campaigns completely is a gently caress ton of work for them since they'd need new sets, intros, art, filler programming between campaigns...not to say they couldn't have been doing it already without telling anyone, but they've probably been busy enough recently that a new campaign is pretty low on the list of things they want to do.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

AngryBooch posted:

The only character arcs I see close to a conclusion of some kind are Imogen and Orym's.

Orym mentioning his sister may be be on her way (who I have no recollection of him ever mentioning before) had me breaking out the tinfoil hat: Laura is looking to wrap up Imogen one way or another and Liam is laying the groundwork for them to play siblings again...

The sister is one of Will's triplet sisters, Lita. Orym very briefly mentioned her by name when Keyleth went to exit Whitestone, asked her to tell Lita he misses them. Thank goodness for the last Thursday off thing, I need to actually catch up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The stakes for what's going down are absolutely end of campaign stuff, but I think we've still got a lot of ground to cover in this campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if the party basically ends up plane-hoppping for the rest of the campaign and whatever Matt has up his sleeve for the true finale of the campaign is going to one-up this (maybe with one or more gods dying due to something else crazy that went on during the solstice, or the party might get wrapped up with a mortal who used the solstice to ascend to godhood).

A comparison that comes to mind is the stuff with the Angel of Irons in the last campaign. This is that sort of thing turned up to 11 with them needing to stop an even nastier thing from being unleashed, and the plan to unleash it being much further along than the Angel of Irons ever got, but that certainly seemed like a big deal at the time and it also had one of the party members really wrapped up in it.

Overall I definitely get some FF6 vibes from where things are at, so I'm expecting that the party will end up in radically different circumstances after the Solstice stuff is settled, and possibly all of Exandria will be very different as well.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I really want them to get launched somewhere new and then adapt their ship to the environment by armoring it with dead plane creatures like in ReBoot.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I really doubt they're going to just abandon the setting and society that their characters are actually attached to in favor of jumping around the planes.

But also, I hate both Planescape and Spelljammer, so.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jetrauben posted:

I really doubt they're going to just abandon the setting and society that their characters are actually attached to in favor of jumping around the planes.

But also, I hate both Planescape and Spelljammer, so.

Its like happy fun ball but the entire universe

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It’s also entirely possible that they fail to stop the bad guys, and the god eater thing gets unleashed

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Funzo posted:

It’s also entirely possible that they fail to stop the bad guys, and the god eater thing gets unleashed
And it turns out the god eater thing is just a very large Kirby.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'm a little bummed they forgot to ask the Greenseekers for help :smith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Funzo posted:

I have less than two weeks to get clowned on so lemme theorize that Predathos is just Tharizdun in a trenchcoat and fake mustache

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

I have less than two weeks to get clowned on so lemme theorize that Predathos is just Tharizdun in a trenchcoat and fake mustache

I can picture this with the scooby doo meme and it pleases me. Thank you.

Bells Hells are now ‘those meddling kids’ in my head since bells hells is a dumb name.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

DarklyDreaming posted:

My theory? Matt kills Keyleth in front of the party. It's probably what I would do as the DM.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Froghammer posted:

My theory? Matt kills Keyleth in front of the party. It's probably what I would do as the DM.

This but all of VM. :allears:

e: And then Spelljammer woooo space pirates gently caress yessss

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
C2 spoiler that might bear upon C3: We know time travel is magically possible, so maybe we’ll be getting what amounts to an Avengers: Endgame plan to reverse the effects of the apocalypse?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Matt was hinting pretty blatantly to have Imogen take Ira dreamwalking so he could get a better look at the device. They may just have not wanted to show him too much of their hand, though. I do think that would have helped them if they'd done that.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
So an honest question to other fans of CR.

I started watching quite early in the first campaign and got hooked. I would set aside a time every weekend to watch the newest stream for almost all of seasons one and two.

I'm just...not feeling it anymore. This show has been important to me for a long time, and I wish I was as eager to watch as I used to be. But...I don't know. I turned on the latest stream and just...peaced out.

Maybe it's because of where I am in my life. I'm swamped with things and don't have the energy to focus on the current campaign. Maybe it's something else. I'm just curious if anyone else is feeling fatigue or lack of interest in the current campaign? I really wish I could get into it. I'm not sure why it's just not connecting with me.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I started watching quite early in the first campaign and got hooked. I would set aside a time every weekend to watch the newest stream for almost all of seasons one and two.

I'm just...not feeling it anymore. This show has been important to me for a long time, and I wish I was as eager to watch as I used to be. But...I don't know. I turned on the latest stream and just...peaced out.

Maybe it's because of where I am in my life. I'm swamped with things and don't have the energy to focus on the current campaign. Maybe it's something else. I'm just curious if anyone else is feeling fatigue or lack of interest in the current campaign? I really wish I could get into it. I'm not sure why it's just not connecting with me.

Yo, this is me and my partner as well. We've been watching since very early C1 - the beginning of the Briarwood arc - and we've just become overly fatigued with it all. Setting aside 4 hours every Thursday night is becoming a chore. The Bell's Hells aren't all that interesting to us. Nothing against Matt and the crew at all, it's just something I feel we've begun to move past. I'll still watch TLoVM and enjoy their one-shots and all, but the main campaign has become kind of a drag.

It doesn't help that (and this is my own opinion and tastes, not reflecting anyone elses) that I find Imogen, the de facto 'main character' for this first big arc of the campaign, to be a massive bore. All love and support to Laura, but I can't stand Imogen at all.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I’ve been feeling the same way. I bounced hard off of campaign 2. I’ve been using this thread to sort of keep tabs on campaign 3, as it’s mildly more interesting to me, however I can’t bring myself to watch or listen to the entire show each week.

I think part of it for me is that the show doesn’t feel genuine any longer. It feels overly produced. I get this cynical feeling that the cast are itching to be on the next Marisharaygun highlight video instead of playing the game in the moment.

The promos at the start and mid roll are just painfully cringe to watch, so if I happen to try to log in while Sam is going full tilt, I just nope out immediately.

I suspect that I’m not their demographic any longer, and that’s probably okay. It’s not like they aren’t the biggest show in the space, so they don’t need to cater to me over their stans who will Hoover up all the merch, show up to cons in cosplay, and flood crit role Twitter with “notice me” junk in hopes of getting a retweet from cast members.

The cartoon is real fun though. And I liked the campaign setting book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

It ebbs and flows for me. C3 is for sure less of an appeal. Partly because I like the characters less and because it's been, IMO, meandering up to this point. I'm also feeling system and setting fatigue. I used to get over it because I liked the players but, at the end of day, I find Exandria a bit too generic fantasy for my taste. And 5e is what it is.

I'd love for them to branch out to a different setting/system and maybe even move away from fantasy in a future campaign. But I realize that's a long shot from a business standpoint.