Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sab669 posted:

What if I like Tactics games like that but have zero interest in comic book stuff :thunk:

I literally skipped through every cutscene and dialogue the first time through and still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Anno posted:

Yeah the "story" of XCOM or whatever is just kind of there, but the flavor and theming are very strong and a super core part of the game, imo. Playing as a group of super heros (which I don't really like anyway) is like the opposite of that and enough of a reason that I've waiting for something like this to give it a try. It just has no real appeal to me even if the characters and story might be better.

You're already there with new XCOM and your squad of irreplaceable super heroes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol if you don’t think X-com soldiers aren’t functionally super heroes and the late stage villians aren’t effectively super villians.

Unless your playing like mods. I remember long war was pretty effective at undermining that

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only reason I haven't bit down on MMS is that they haven't put any of my favourite characters in it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean, sure. But they can still die, which the characters here can't, and they got there because you've put in however many hours and they've survived however many battles, so it's more of a payoff than just a core identity of the thing.

But yeah, mods like LW2 and Covert Infiltration do a good job pulling that back a bit, which I like.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

FutureCop posted:

I'm really looking forward to the next one they've got coming out, being Rabbit and Steel, closest thing to a MMO raid simulator without all the, well, horrible MMO bits. Got to play it at MAGfest and had a good time.

What was your experience like with Maiden and Spell? I was a bit more interested in Rabbit and Steel since it is coop instead of pvp, but does Maiden and Spell have a decent single player campaign (or maybe it does have coop and I'm just not seeing it?)

We picked it up for the multiplayer for a friends' gaming night, but it does have a single player story! It has an adjustable difficulty including a "don't lose lives" mode (cute mode) if you just want to see it all with zero pressure. You start with two characters in single player and unlock more, which is probably the right move as getting a feel for the attacks and tactics takes some practice. In multiplayer, they are all available from the start (unless there's hidden unlockable characters that I don't know about yet--only a couple hours spent in it).

I was unaware of Rabbit and Steel, but I'm *definitely* going to have to keep an eye on it now. Parts of the fights in Maiden feel very much like raids in the way that your attacks (and your opponents attacks) are on cooldowns, so you can strategize based on what is on cooldown, and big attacks will create a glowing 'danger zone' so you know to GTFO. I started having FF14 flashbacks but hadn't made that connection until you said "MMO Raid Simulator". From that gif, it very much seems like they're refining some of the ideas they started working on here.

e: I should also add that the sum of my bullet hell experience comes from Nier Automata, so I'm not an expert on the genre but I think it's a very approachable one. Apparently there's also a free demo out of it, so check that out maybe.

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 17, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I literally skipped through every cutscene and dialogue the first time through and still enjoyed it.

Do you have to do the "walk around the mansion and talk to superhero friends" stuff to progress the game? I don't even want to skip through those dialogs but if I can avoid them altogether I want to give it a shot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes. That is the game. The combat is side content you do between hanging out with your super friends trying to unlock new ability cards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can I marry them

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

deep dish peat moss posted:

Do you have to do the "walk around the mansion and talk to superhero friends" stuff to progress the game? I don't even want to skip through those dialogs but if I can avoid them altogether I want to give it a shot

Yup. There's some mandatory exploration and basic solving to unlock the full features of the abbey and progress the story but iirc you can always ignore them and keep doing the randomly generated missions. However there are characters and combat features hidden behind story progression so it's generally a good idea to complete them ASAP.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

widespread posted:

Is it the demo that ends with a fight vs Okada Izo in a gambling den

Because I played it already some months ago. Still worth a look if you're gonna buy it on PC, since the card system's visuals and all.

The Ishin demo seems different from that: gives you two scenarios, one where you fight through a bunch of mobs as you storm the castle, and then another one where you have a boss fight against a trio. I found it quite fun, though I'm always conflicted about Yakuza combat as, while it's a nice spectacle, I always find it very stiff and difficult to determine how aggressively or cautiously I need to play as both end in unavoidable damage. Also the card abilities seem super overpowered and recharge quickly so I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to strategically fight, haha. But then again, if it's anything like Yakuza, the story is worth any potential combat frustration, most likely.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

itch.io is running a bundle of magic-themed games from LGBTQ+ creators. $60 for 69 games.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

$60 for 69 games.

:c00l:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Or $10 for 66: https://itch.io/b/1713/trans-witches-are-witches-apprentice-edition

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

How is Dishonored 1? I need to get two of the wolfensteins but I don't need anything else there

if youve been grabbing the epic games freebies you may have this already

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Yup. There's some mandatory exploration and basic solving to unlock the full features of the abbey and progress the story but iirc you can always ignore them and keep doing the randomly generated missions. However there are characters and combat features hidden behind story progression so it's generally a good idea to complete them ASAP.

I’m always boggled by why people would want to buy a game and then not engage with said game. It’s not like this stuff is unheard of or a super surprise. If you’ve been playing games for any length of time surely you’ve come across these types of concepts.

You can go on and say “waa I don’t like it and it’s not for me” but this is more often than not people wanting to send their steak back after eating half of it.

Like stop being such a whiner and accept that not every game is going to be your perfect game?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Midnight Suns is extremely good. If you liked XCOM 1/2 or any tactical games even a little bit you should check it out.

Yes but

Sab669 posted:

What if I like Tactics games like that but have zero interest in comic book stuff :thunk:

This and also it's too expensive

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Majin posted:

I’m always boggled by why people would want to buy a game and then not engage with said game. It’s not like this stuff is unheard of or a super surprise. If you’ve been playing games for any length of time surely you’ve come across these types of concepts.

You can go on and say “waa I don’t like it and it’s not for me” but this is more often than not people wanting to send their steak back after eating half of it.

Like stop being such a whiner and accept that not every game is going to be your perfect game?

I'm not sure what part of my post was whining? I just don't bother engaging with any game's story unless I know I enjoy the gameplay

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Pocky & Rocky sequel is coming out on Steam

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256919591/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1675821795

It's great aside from how you have to finish the game once before you unlock co-op

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Resdfru posted:

This is the devs discord? Makes them sound like assholes

But on the other hand that guide writer or whoever is using dmca to mess with people's jobs and stuff so they're also an rear end in a top hat

Assholes all the way down

I know the misunderstanding was cleared up, but this really was one heck of a misread

my condolences to the devs, and also this is why you don't acknowledge fan creations without having them first sign a contract

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Majin posted:

This was an unnecessarily hostile reply, jesus.

I just started Midnight Suns on the trial thing and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, the combat really is fantastic. The comic cover generator after a mission with your squad is great and it's fun hitting random a dozen times until you find a really good one, such a cool holdover from X-Com that just works so well here. I haven't gotten to the meat of the Abbey stuff yet but conversations like the first one you have with Blade aren't exactly dynamic or well voice acted so I'm not super looking forward to having to do that but the writing seems decent so far. I need to see how much of this I can play over the weekend, I've bought too many games recently :ohdear:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 17, 2023

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

FutureCop posted:

I'm really looking forward to the next one they've got coming out, being Rabbit and Steel, closest thing to a MMO raid simulator without all the, well, horrible MMO bits. Got to play it at MAGfest and had a good time.

:allears: I like what the devs are doing.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop posted:

This looks really fun, but seems like it will work best with a dedicated group, since solo mode basically defaults to the game that's already out by being more bullet-hell focused.

(I might also be of mixed minds as someone who usually likes all the MMO-bits, but that's a separate story.)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Runa posted:

I know the misunderstanding was cleared up, but this really was one heck of a misread

my condolences to the devs, and also this is why you don't acknowledge fan creations without having them first sign a contract

Yeah, this situation was preventable. There’s a reason big publishers and developers have “we can’t legally even look at the ideas you send us, all that poo poo gets immediately thrown in the trash” disclaimers on their websites.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

This rocks. It's a little difficult but beautifully crafted.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is it just me or do all the weapons really look like tyrian which is funny for a game in a completely different genre?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Inshin combat demo is really cool! That was a good teaser of what to expect tomorrow with the early release of the full game for deluxe pre-orders.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

mystes posted:

Is it just me or do all the weapons really look like tyrian which is funny for a game in a completely different genre?

Are you saying you can make the raccoon fire hotdogs and bananas? :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

xcom doesnt force you to go on fuckin dates with spiderman where he tells you about his day as an integral part of the levelup system

Check out this loving loser, not wanting to go on dates with Spiderman...

:argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay lmao what? Why does this screen in Midnight Suns

lag so much that it can't even keep 60 fps?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
im gonna take a wild unsubstantiated guess and say theyre running a whole web browser inside the game just to render that eula page
just like the wc3 reforged remake which did the same thing for its main menu

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jack Trades posted:

It's very detailed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm already taking severe mental damage from this game.

Iron Man kills a monster that doesn't talk.
"Yeah, and you're ugly too!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

2k launcher

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the leather supposed to do exactly when layered on top of plate armor?
Also we're still doing boob armor in TYOOL 2023?

Nope, I remember reading about it ruining the performance so I disabled that poo poo instantly.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This Star Wars sale seems fun. Bunch of games for next to gently caress all.

Battlefront 2 (2005) a good purchase? Is the online active? Might pick up Episode 1 Racer as well, a game I have looked at and thought "huh, I should play that" literally since it came out without ever bothering.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

protects the boob dent

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

Also we're still doing boob armor in TYOOL 2023?

Nope, I remember reading about it ruining the performance so I disabled that poo poo instantly.

Looks like it's for medals or insignia/rank or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I played Midnight Suns up to the point where you get Wolverine a few weeks ago and there's nothing in the Abbey that is interesting enough for it to have been anything other than an XCOM base menu. the combat missions are fun but you gotta have a precise headspace to be compelled to help plan a surprise birthday party for a New Mutant while Ghost Rider has a big click me icon over his head because he wants your input on a trolley problem.