Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FlapYoJacks posted:

No need. Consoles have supported keyboard and mouse for 10+ years now.

I'd have to imagine there's a certification clause in both MS and Sony environments that mandates it be playable with a controller.

On the controller topic - I almost got it 100% usable with a controller using only a single modifier for actions and a "use controller like a mouse" modifier, with everything placed relatively intuitively. The first problem (solvable with steamdeck or elite-style controllers) was that there aren't enough buttons to have an intuitive F1/F2/F3 row with a single modifier. The second problem, and this is something that'd be solved with real controller integration, is that the game frequently likes to pop a window up and assume you have a mouse to click out of it.

It was playable with my mech (although obviously sub-par with action cam throwing grenades) as long as I autocast my mech abilities. I even set it up in steam so that when you hit the modifier for mouse mode it gracefully handled remapping the buttons and disabling/re-enabling action cam. I thought that was pretty cool, given I'd never touched the steam interface before. Then you hit a green story portal thing and the text window pops up and the whole thing goes to hell because it disables action cam without the modifier. :/

It's definitely something you can manage efficiently with class-specific layouts and macros but there's so many things that could be condensed and handled differently with real controller support instead of crappy mouse mode swapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Harrow posted:

The player sylvari's wyld hunt is specifically to kill an Elder Dragon so that one doesn't resolve until the end of the personal story, at least :v:

Am I dreaming or do you get to actually kill the specific one you see in your dream at some point and it's not remotely mentioned the whole time I'm going "Wait isn't this the one? This is the one from the dream right? Or were there more of these? Am I done now? I can retire now right? It wasn't an elder dragon it was just this chump." I always thought it was weird that the dragon in the dream was made of plants and nothing like zhaitan at all. My headcanon is they were thinking about zhaitan coz it was, you know, sending zombies at them so you fighting a dragon they were like oh yeah that's gotta be it and turns out oh wait no you were a shlub who was only meant to go gank a general after all :D Heroes are made, not born and all that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There's an image of a dragon's minion in your dream, not an elder dragon.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Yeah, and you get to kill it at some point (or am I going mad?) I always wondered at that point if the story was going to veer into comedy and realise oh poo poo we sent you on all this stuff and all you had to do was wait around for this one after all haha whoops sorry about all the trauma?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mailer posted:

I'd have to imagine there's a certification clause in both MS and Sony environments that mandates it be playable with a controller.

On the controller topic - I almost got it 100% usable with a controller using only a single modifier for actions and a "use controller like a mouse" modifier, with everything placed relatively intuitively. The first problem (solvable with steamdeck or elite-style controllers) was that there aren't enough buttons to have an intuitive F1/F2/F3 row with a single modifier. The second problem, and this is something that'd be solved with real controller integration, is that the game frequently likes to pop a window up and assume you have a mouse to click out of it.

It was playable with my mech (although obviously sub-par with action cam throwing grenades) as long as I autocast my mech abilities. I even set it up in steam so that when you hit the modifier for mouse mode it gracefully handled remapping the buttons and disabling/re-enabling action cam. I thought that was pretty cool, given I'd never touched the steam interface before. Then you hit a green story portal thing and the text window pops up and the whole thing goes to hell because it disables action cam without the modifier. :/

It's definitely something you can manage efficiently with class-specific layouts and macros but there's so many things that could be condensed and handled differently with real controller support instead of crappy mouse mode swapping.

I modified someone else's Steam Input config to my liking and it's been working real well on mech and bs, aside from never figuring out a comfortable place for F5, which I solve by not playing anything that needs it. Oh and I still need to work the radial mount thing blish provides but I only just unlocked the kanagaroo so I'm only just needing to do that now.

Basically the Steam Input method really only works because of action cam, but if you could properly bind the right stick to camera movement without moving the mouse (ala xiv) it'd work pretty well also, Anet could totally do it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tambaloneus posted:

Yeah, and you get to kill it at some point (or am I going mad?) I always wondered at that point if the story was going to veer into comedy and realise oh poo poo we sent you on all this stuff and all you had to do was wait around for this one after all haha whoops sorry about all the trauma?

That guy isn't your wyld hunt, he's just a dragon minion attacking your dream as you come into consciousness.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't know about anyone else but firebrand is feeling pretty bad since the mantra change, can see why nobody liked the original mantras and why they got changed, weird to revert them back after all this time and apparently still have the same issues.

Hard time keeping up quickness from what I can tell due to having to be very conscious to avoid using up the last mantra charges and get a massive cooldown in exchange for little benefit.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 15, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Edit 2: LW sale prices answered on discord - it's a 20% discount, but they combine it with the normal discount (as well as modifying for episodes you purchased as an "extra" discounted sale) so it actually just comes out to be 20% off the normal price.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hard time keeping up quickness from what I can tell due to having to be very conscious to avoid using up the last mantra charges and get a massive cooldown in exchange for little benefit.

I honestly have nfi why people thought this was good. Maybe mesmer has some mantra that gives a big hit at the end that might be useful as an end-of-fight nuke or something (I honestly don't know) but I'm just trying to keep up boons over here.

I guess if it's terribly bad I pour a 40 out for the best asura boy and roll a Herald.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 15, 2023

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mailer posted:

Edit 2: LW sale prices answered on discord - it's a 20% discount, but they combine it with the normal discount (as well as modifying for episodes you purchased as an "extra" discounted sale) so it actually just comes out to be 20% off the normal price.
Too bad that they only ever discount the season packs. Individual episodes are still 200 gems.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I guess it'd be nice to get more individual eps, though the big draw of LWS4 still requires all of it so welp. I'm not sure if IBS benefits greatly from individual bits but once I got bitterfrost my desire for season 3 went way downhill. Will probably buy it when I have vacation time or something and can do the straight run through 1->2->3. At this point the plot is so jumbled up in my head that it'll probably feel good to go through an actual consecutive storyline for a change.

Decided to just grab 4 because I don't feel like waiting until the end of March for it and it's a 96 gem difference. Will grab 3/IBS during the sale and 2 if it ever goes 50% again.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

There's an image of a dragon's minion in your dream, not an elder dragon.

specifically it's one of mordremoth's minions and its presence retroactively becomes a bit of foreshadowing to what the sylvaris' deal is

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

specifically it's one of mordremoth's minions and its presence retroactively becomes a bit of foreshadowing to what the sylvaris' deal is

Yeah it's the one that attacks the Pale Tree right? And then you chase it to Silverwastes and have the worst battle in S2?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I thought the animations for the dragon were pretty well done when it attacked the tree, the actual gameplay and the sand fight? not so much.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Yes and the thing doesn't 'appear' it is lying there dormant while you hack at wolves so in my mind it was foreshadowing not just that modremoth will attack but that there was a connection there the whole time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

I guess it'd be nice to get more individual eps, though the big draw of LWS4 still requires all of it so welp. I'm not sure if IBS benefits greatly from individual bits but once I got bitterfrost my desire for season 3 went way downhill. Will probably buy it when I have vacation time or something and can do the straight run through 1->2->3. At this point the plot is so jumbled up in my head that it'll probably feel good to go through an actual consecutive storyline for a change.

Decided to just grab 4 because I don't feel like waiting until the end of March for it and it's a 96 gem difference. Will grab 3/IBS during the sale and 2 if it ever goes 50% again.

season 1 sucks, season 2 drags on way too long and the missions suck, season 3 story is a mishmash hodgepodge of like 3 different stories and sucks, season 4 is really good and not just by comparison, season 5 is really good until champions at which point you can see exactly when they stopped trying

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
yeah, they sold the story of the game on "HEY THERES THESE BIG rear end DRAGONS, GO KILL THEM" and didn't think up a story beyond just that and kinda coasted for a while.

I think Season 3 is when they actually got a narrative director and it shows, but then they got bored of the dragon stuff and just decided to kill them off as quickly as possible.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Speaking of abandoning ideas and designs, it's both hilarious and sad how one-note and disposable all the side factions are. Exalted, Branded, Forged, etc. at best resurface for individual LWS episodes and otherwise are just vehicles to sell more gem store outfits and mount skins.

At least WoW made the later ones unlockable as playable races or gave you transformation toys so you could raid as a Pandarian ape man (name eludes me) or ogre.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 16, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's kind of surprising but not surprising at the same time that they never had a dedicated team for balancing classes or fixing bugs and would just pull everyone from every department when working on the next living story or expansion.

I know the chance is 0, but I hope part of the work of revisiting abandoned game systems is modernizing and slightly retooling the pre-season 4 story, using some of that 10 years of experience to do better then little Timmy's first RTS scenario editor camera work and event trigger's that don't -quite- line up correctly half the time, replacing the "two characters talk to eachother" cutscenes with their "painted artstyle that is very slightly animated in parts" which as aged incredibly well and still looks good where they used it, wouldn't even have to record new dialogue, could just reuse what is already there, and finally adding checkpoints to those living story chapters that go on 20 minutes and have a easy to fail achievement at minute 19.

I also think Dungeon's storymodes should be reworked into a short 1 player experience which better sets up the story threads of the other paths and that the HoT raids should have a short, solo story version because it's really weird to put the majority of the Lazarus story inside hard 10 man raid content.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 16, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The randomizer thing might be the most convincing argument for getting gemstore skins to me

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I'd just be happy to meet Malyck again. We're never meeting Malyck again are we :(

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Remember the Olmakhan? Had a whole Charr section of the story and I think they get mentioned like once. They put Rox in the mystery spot.

Yao didn't even get to survive a zone, they were part of like half of New Kaineng City and then they just kinda forget about them. They were on the promotional website, I thought they were going to be a character.

Veev fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2023

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Veev posted:

Remember the Olmakhan? Had a whole Charr section of the story and I think they get mentioned like once. They put Rox in the mystery spot.

Those the hippy Charr that got a Rata dropped on them somewhere during LW4? That was a pretty rad zone.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

season 1 sucks, season 2 drags on way too long and the missions suck, season 3 story is a mishmash hodgepodge of like 3 different stories and sucks, season 4 is really good and not just by comparison, season 5 is really good until champions at which point you can see exactly when they stopped trying

I didn't mind PoF (or what I've played of HoT) and so far, story-wise and two episodes in, LWS4 is fine. It's like the equivalent of a watchable movie. I'm not telling other people they gotta see this but it's entertaining enough to do the job. The weirdest thing for me has been mentally remapping what comes when since I'm playing it all out-of-order and a lot of assumptions I made about events/characters across 3/4/IBS were flat out wrong.

Mechanically, I love the scrolls and tomes so I hope that continues in whatever they're calling the EoD-based maps instead of "living world 6". The bosses, though... blech. It's probably extra annoying due to playing it late at night and kinda trying to blitz through it but so far everything is defined by invulnerability phases and repeating the same thing way too many times. I'm probably just spoiled from EoD which, while generally boring (and frustrating without a flier) to play through, had pretty great bosses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pointlessone posted:

Those the hippy Charr that got a Rata dropped on them somewhere during LW4? That was a pretty rad zone.

You also get a 32 slot bag and bitchin spooky shoulders from them.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Did they buff elementalist yet

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I’m totally fine with the Olmakkan not being a regular staple. Their whole thing was being Charr and not giving a gently caress about Black Citadel crap and just vibing with nature spirits. Why should they care about New Kaineng running out batteries for their noodle carts?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Tabletops posted:

Actually, yes.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Tabletops posted:

they buffed weaver dps again (even though it was already doing great dps even for LI) and they added more support and utility to staff (aoe stability, superspeed, frost aura, etc.)

tempests can pulse alac at the start of their overloads now.

they also nerfed catalyst in pvp but tbh they had it coming

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Veev posted:

Yao didn't even get to survive a zone, they were part of like half of New Kaineng City and then they just kinda forget about them. They were on the promotional website, I thought they were going to be a character.

i literally can't think of a single part of the EoD story where a xunlai jade technician would be relevant or useful (aside from chapters 2 through 5)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is that it’s yet another instance of cut content due to the rush to get EoD launched

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
A great new build for mechanist enjoyers from mr. mystic, condition dual pistols. (http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAoqlxySYwMXWMOOL5xaA-zRJYmRDfZEXCkbBo5BJImAvmUcWBA-e) Definitely my favourite sort of build - mech skills on autocast, no grenade kit, mash everything on cd, receive great dps.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Also, Preach, a rather well-known WoW content creator, is doing a blind playthrough of the game and it's pretty entertaining to watch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Neutron posted:

mech skills on autocast, no grenade kit

god bless

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

A great new build for mechanist enjoyers from mr. mystic, condition dual pistols. (http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAoqlxySYwMXWMOOL5xaA-zRJYmRDfZEXCkbBo5BJImAvmUcWBA-e) Definitely my favourite sort of build - mech skills on autocast, no grenade kit, mash everything on cd, receive great dps.

I didn't know I needed this in my life, thanks. It's nice to see people engaging with the spec more now that AFK mech isn't as big of a meme anymore.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Also, Preach, a rather well-known WoW content creator, is doing a blind playthrough of the game and it's pretty entertaining to watch.

He was one of the first to not put up with Blizzard's BS anymore iirc. What little I've seem of him here strikes me as a decent mixture of the TotalBiscuit and AngryJoe styles of content creation.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

I think the rewards for defending/assaulting SMC need another pass :v:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mr. Neutron posted:

I think the rewards for defending/assaulting SMC need another pass :v:

No, no, the rewards for everything else needs another pass.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just unlocked the ability to have two specs at once and my guardian basically just shits out explosions and flames every single attack now?

this rules? absolutely amazing. why on earth did I start this game 10 years ago as a mesmer and not a guardian? no idea.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I just unlocked the ability to have two specs at once and my guardian basically just shits out explosions and flames every single attack now?

this rules? absolutely amazing. why on earth did I start this game 10 years ago as a mesmer and not a guardian? no idea.

Mesmer is pink and shits out clones everywhere. Checkmate, guardians.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Oh dang this thing is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've seen the build for a few weeks in CM's, usually tops the charts pretty consistently while being easy to play.