Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Filters won't protect you against water polluted with any human waste. Human viruses love to use that as a vector. You'll need chemical or heat disinfecting to purify that (though the filter can still be useful to remove particulates from the water)

North America doesn't really have water sources with human waste pollution so you generally don't need anything more than a filter for camping/hiking, but in a breakdown of society situation I wouldn't assume that would hold true necessarily. You may need secondary treatment for water even when hiking/camping in other parts of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Sawyer S3 will filter out viruses and other nasty stuff, but Nitrousoxide is right in that in North America, you generally only need something that filters out bacteria (such as the Sawyer Squeeze or Mini Squeeze.) I bought a three-pack of those a while ago and one lives in my go-bag- another in my car and the third is in reserve for camping use.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Oysters Autobio posted:

.... and this kind of thing all sort of tickle a weird train-autism in me so I thought why not make use of that (obviously I know I'm not actually going to build a 3D printed forge, these are just sort of "thematic" examples).

Oh boy, went on their wiki and found some of the founders more political/philosophical material and its definitely uhh....'interesting'.

Founder is Polish so could chalk it up to that (USSR collapse brought out all sorts of craziness in the aftermath) or just the sort of general wackiness that anything 'green' or ecology can attract (i.e. all your fluoride is evil / wifi is hurting you stuff), but his favourite book about "ponerology" has a forward written by its editor who this interesting website.

All off-topic but thought it was funny, and a good example of how hard it is to find useful content out there to read.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oysters Autobio posted:

Just wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone for the great advice.

On another topic but similar, anyone have good resources for learning or hobbies that would be beneficial skills in a sort of emergency/crisis/collapse situation? I feel like I'm in my early 30s but my day job is a computer-toucher so all my skills revolve around something which will literally be useless.

Honestly, even if its just cosplay level hobby just for lmao cope and to make me think I'm getting prepared is fine too, lol lets be realistic.

I know its some of this stuff is just more cope, but stuff like this and this kind of thing all sort of tickle a weird train-autism in me so I thought why not make use of that (obviously I know I'm not actually going to build a 3D printed forge, these are just sort of "thematic" examples).

Learning about communication and becoming a HAM operator and getting the license would be great and is something I want to do eventually when I have time. The reddit r/HamRadio is a decent resource. So is https://hamstudy.org , a resource to study for the Ham Technician test that you must pass to operate (and not just listen to) a ham radio.

More info http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-licenses#:%7E:text=To%20earn%20the%20Technician%20license,most%20often%20within%20North%20America

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Urban gardening is pretty fun too and the barrier to entry is pretty low. Plenty of material to deep dive into as well that isn't entirely useless!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

So, you know how a lot of preppers tend to have various degrees of ruggedly individualistic bunker mentality? For most people that can't last forever. Eventually they are going to have to learn to work with other humans or become a loot box.

I feel like having the ability to navigate a complex social landscape is often overlooked as a useful skill. Do you have friends that hate each other? Are you able to show genuine concern for the well being of people you might not even like? Do you have experience coordinating groups of volunteers? Or are you just a sociopath who sees other humans just as tools to get what you want?

Congratulations, you can be the guy that knows a guy that can get what someone needs.

Please don't be the sociopath version of this.

E: I keep bringing up the social stuff mostly as a reminder to myself to try to get to know new people even if it is hard.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 17, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CopperHound posted:

So, you know how a lot of preppers tend to have various degrees of ruggedly individualistic bunker mentality? For most people that can't last forever. Eventually they are going to have to learn to work with other humans or become a loot box.

I feel like having the ability to navigate a complex social landscape is often overlooked as a useful skill. Do you have friends that hate each other? Are you able to show genuine concern for the well being of people you might not even like? Do you have experience coordinating groups of volunteers? Or are you just a sociopath who sees other humans just as tools to get what you want?

Congratulations, you can be the guy that knows a guy that can get what someone needs.

E: I keep bringing up the social stuff mostly as a reminder to myself to try to get to know new people even if it is hard.

This is so true and always overlooked. If your idea of "preparedness" only has metrics that revolve around how many years you can hole up or how much ammo you have stockpiled, you are missing the whole point of being prepared.

I'm not trying to be the last survivor in my region, that would suck.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When the light of SS-18 Satan blesses us my #1 professional skill, "being the last guy standing that is at least on speaking terms with everyone else," will at long last receive its due.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CopperHound posted:

I have always wanted to start a cult commune.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh GiP of the thread, give me your wisdom:

With all the attacks on infrastructure lately, I'm considering looking at a backup generator for emergencies, especially as grid issues continue to rear their ugly head, but I don't want a Natural Gas generator due to it requiring access to natural gas infrastructure.

I am planning on solar but want to buy a small 3-5kw diesel generator, anybody else had experience with this?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CommieGIR posted:

I am planning on solar but want to buy a small 3-5kw diesel generator, anybody else had experience with this?

When I was doing odd construction work the honda ultraquiet or whatever it was named was the star of that show. Freezing temps and all the power tools worked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

With all the attacks on infrastructure lately, I'm considering looking at a backup generator for emergencies, especially as grid issues continue to rear their ugly head, but I don't want a Natural Gas generator due to it requiring access to natural gas infrastructure.

*a Floridian stumbles in*

Honda generators kick all kinds of rear end, but I don’t think they make a diesel. What specifically are you trying to run? Certain things (air conditioners) have pretty intense start-up loads that will trip a generator that is ostensibly rated for their continuous draw.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

*a Floridian stumbles in*

Honda generators kick all kinds of rear end, but I don’t think they make a diesel. What specifically are you trying to run? Certain things (air conditioners) have pretty intense start-up loads that will trip a generator that is ostensibly rated for their continuous draw.

Mostly fridges, some lights, etc. If we were in an emergency situation we'd probably disable the HVAC.

Right now I'm looking at a couple Military generators because I can get service manuals and parts for them pretty easily like the MEP-831A which is a Yanmar single cylinder 3kw continuous duty generator. I'd rather use diesel because I'm familiar with diesels, can readily get fuel for them in emergencies including alternative fuels, and want something that is easily repairable.

In an emergency huge loads like AC would be no go unless it was a heat emergency.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 31, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

chiming in from a few years building farm pumps on a variety of small engines, the Honda GX series is goddamn bulletproof. Put around 3000 across the test stand and every single one of them started on the first pull.

We also built a few on the 8 HP Yanmars and I still have nightmares about rope starting that fucker

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I ended up picking up the generator for a bargain because the voltage adjust was stuck.

Now it's fixed. Hooray 3kw house backup generator

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

So I ended up picking up the generator for a bargain because the voltage adjust was stuck.

Now it's fixed. Hooray 3kw house backup generator

:):hf::)

Strong suggestion: Either only ever run REC90 in it, or run it completely dry before you store it. Corngas absolute ruins small engine fuel systems. I regularly pocket a couple hundred bucks unfuckulating neighbors’ generator fuel systems before hurricanes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

:):hf::)

Strong suggestion: Either only ever run REC90 in it, or run it completely dry before you store it. Corngas absolute ruins small engine fuel systems. I regularly pocket a couple hundred bucks unfuckulating neighbors’ generator fuel systems before hurricanes.

Thankfully its diesel. That was a one of my requirements because I can scrounge for diesel if needed, and diesel stores better for longer with a good water seperator.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
What's the deal with surplus gennies? I always assumed they were clapped out beyond belief, are these actually getting sold with some life left?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slurm posted:

What's the deal with surplus gennies? I always assumed they were clapped out beyond belief, are these actually getting sold with some life left?

A lot of them never really got used all that much unless you get one that actually was deployed.

I cannot recommend the one I bought personally, I got it super cheap so some of its downsides I overlooked because I can fix them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 8, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

slurm posted:

Sounds like something not to touch with a 10 foot pole unless you have redundancy and can do at least basic repairs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is possible the generator was hardly used and received the required maintenance exactly on schedule by the guy whose only job was to keep the generators maintained, or it is possible that it got the poo poo kicked out of it and was "maintained" by the dumbest laziest grunt in the army. Good luck!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So some feedback: Personally, I'd avoid the MEP831A. Although the motor is reliable, the regulator/converter is flakey as hell and if it gets even a little damp (like, say, damp night air) it fails to output. I had to fully rebuild mine to even get 110v working.

Sad, because the Yanmar setup is super reliable and fuel efficient. Will probably be putting an aftermarket Alternator on it at some point.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So there's a cloud of industrial chemicals over a good little chunk of Ohio right now. Has anyone here considered a large-scale industrial accident resulting in a chemical release in their risk assessments, and if so, what have you done?

Also, been hearing that Mira- which seemingly was the go-to gas mask a few years ago- isn't all that great. Any insights as to why, and what a better alternative would be?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So there's a cloud of industrial chemicals over a good little chunk of Ohio right now. Has anyone here considered a large-scale industrial accident resulting in a chemical release in their risk assessments, and if so, what have you done?

Also, been hearing that Mira- which seemingly was the go-to gas mask a few years ago- isn't all that great. Any insights as to why, and what a better alternative would be?

Yeah that poo poo is absolutely terrifying. I never actually considered industrial accidents in my plans, but I'd either have to stay because of work and dont wanna lose my benefits, or rack up insane credit card debt to get the gently caress out of dodge and stay at a hotel for a while outside of the disaster area.

Avon makes very good but expensive gas masks. They're kind of the gold standard.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I can kind of answer this. The problem with an industrial accident is that there are too many variables to really prepare effectively. Even if you know everything about every plant and refinery near you, you have no idea what's passing by on nearby rail or road. If there is a major incident, there will likely be one of two orders issued, depending on the chemical(s) involved and the size of the release:

1 - Evacuate. This one is obvious, be able to pack a bag quickly, and have a couple places you can easily get to within 50 miles, even if it's just to pull over and find a place to stay the night.

2 - Shelter in Place (SiP). Instructions from the City of Baytown on this.

There can also be hybrid orders, where a small area will be evacuated, while a much larger area will have a SiP order. I'm in Houston, where we have a huge petrochemical complex including numerous plants and refineries. Accidents warranting a SiP are uncommon, but they do happen.

It's also worth noting that the really ugly accidents probably won't give anyone time to evacuate. The best advice I can offer - keep an eye on local news for announcements and alerts, and make sure to communicate them to everyone you know if and when you see one.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC Mira's have a sub-optimal harness system (not-great 5-point), but that's under the context of having it ripped off your face by a cop when you're trying not to be tear-gassed in downtown Portland.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Is there any particular reason you want a military style gas mask instead of a more commonly available full-face air purifying respirator? A 3M brand one will have the widest availability for filter packs and cartridges. MSA made the one I used at work with impact rated faceshields, but they're pretty spendy. A base model of either brand is going to be right around $200. A gas mask and canisters will cost quite a bit more. I am not sure what the gas mask canister is going to grab that would be left out by a "Organic Vapors" cartridge with P100. I do know that I can buy a 3m bayonet fitting OV+P100 cartridge brand new for reasonable prices out of a grainger catalog, but genuine gas mask canisters might not be reliably available and the market for that kind of stuff abounds with flimflammery.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How do I get alerted if all I watch is streaming?

Genuine question, no snark intended.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

goatsestretchgoals posted:

How do I get alerted if all I watch is streaming?

Genuine question, no snark intended.

Look up your area and see if there is a localized emergency alert system, through an Office of Emergency Management or something similarly named (this may be county level if you live in a small town, or even state level if you live in a county with a small population). They will likely have an alert system that can text/email you alerts when they happen. Alternatively, just keep an eye on your local news daily - you don't have to watch TV, just look up NBC, ABC, whatever your local broadcaster is, and/or your local paper.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I hope no one minds if I crosspost this - photos of the devastation in NZ. Climate change is here and it's only getting worse.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

While the photos are bad, if you consult the map here you'll realize just how bad - there is one road in and out of this whole area.

Apparently 3km of new Fibre had to be relaid in one place alone.

I picked up my gf's uncle who was in the area and he was still in shock. 6ft of silt in some areas. No power, water, or cell anywhere. Most cars are hosed due to flooding, so people are completely cut off. They've got whatever water is in their tanks and whatever gas-powered cooking gear and that's it.

Gisborne, a town of 40k people, just had its water treatment fail. 40k with no water.

But then there's good news, like this guy who broke into a school to seek higher ground and save the lives of 60 dogs:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/131263577/cyclone-gabrielle-breeder-gets-60-dogs-to-safety-on-top-of-desks-at-floodhit-school

I cannot stress enough how loving awful this is.

If you can spare a few dollars, please send an envelope to Happy Dude
https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/cyclone-gabrielle-community-support
Use this link.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit
I have been thinking about emergency preparedness, and went to the CDC and FEMA website for their advice on stocking up. Apparently in the event of a close nuclear strike, there is radiation poisoning meds that you can take. It is known as Prussian Blue.

A bit over-the-top, I suppose, unless you live next to a nuclear silo. But the FDA label stated that it should be taken within 3 hours of radiation poisoning and I figured that that means you can’t rely on the government considering the very very short time imposed. What do you think about stocking up on this?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fourier Series posted:

I have been thinking about emergency preparedness, and went to the CDC and FEMA website for their advice on stocking up. Apparently in the event of a close nuclear strike, there is radiation poisoning meds that you can take. It is known as Prussian Blue.

A bit over-the-top, I suppose, unless you live next to a nuclear silo. But the FDA label stated that it should be taken within 3 hours of radiation poisoning and I figured that that means you can’t rely on the government considering the very very short time imposed. What do you think about stocking up on this?

I'm going to be honest here...

If I am so close to a nuclear blast that I require immediate radiation medication, I don't want to keep going. If I lived near a nuke plant, I might consider stocking something small to get me out of the danger zone in the case of an event.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

I'm going to be honest here...

If I am so close to a nuclear blast that I require immediate radiation medication, I don't want to keep going. If I lived near a nuke plant, I might consider stocking something small to get me out of the danger zone in the case of an event.
Potentially you may not be that near, but simply have concerns over fallout due to the wind patterns. Plus radiation poisoning is unpleasant to die from, and you may not be keen on going through with suicide since it may not be as easy as one anticipates to actually pull the trigger.

Or how about from the medical professional viewpoint? FDA website says that there is no adverse effects other than some mild constipation, so I suppose there is no downside for storing it

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fourier Series posted:

Potentially you may not be that near, but simply have concerns over fallout due to the wind patterns. Plus radiation poisoning is unpleasant to die from, and you may not be keen on going through with suicide since it may not be as easy as one anticipates to actually pull the trigger.

Or how about from the medical professional viewpoint? FDA website says that there is no adverse effects other than some mild constipation, so I suppose there is no downside for storing it

In your scenario a bomb goes off... somewhere. The winds carry the fallout to you, wherever you are. That doesn't just happen. You would know a bomb went off, you would know the wind direction. It would be easier to just move perpendicular to the wind and avoid the fallout. That is assuming that this event is only a single explosion. Anything more is just planning on living in a nuclear hellscape. If that is your jam/kink, go ahead and you do you. As for a "medical professional viewpoint", ask those people and see what they think of your plans. I won't presume to know what they will say to you (or about you after you leave).

As for my life choices as it relates to living in a nuclear hellscape? I will assume your comments were meant in a positive light. I have made and will make many difficult decisions regarding end of life care and hospice care. I am well aware of my wishes (so much so they are in advanced directives and living wills) and will carry out what I feel to be appropriate action. You would be hard pressed to sway my thoughts on the matter.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

In your scenario a bomb goes off... somewhere. The winds carry the fallout to you, wherever you are. That doesn't just happen. You would know a bomb went off, you would know the wind direction. It would be easier to just move perpendicular to the wind and avoid the fallout. That is assuming that this event is only a single explosion. Anything more is just planning on living in a nuclear hellscape. If that is your jam/kink, go ahead and you do you. As for a "medical professional viewpoint", ask those people and see what they think of your plans. I won't presume to know what they will say to you (or about you after you leave).

As for my life choices as it relates to living in a nuclear hellscape? I will assume your comments were meant in a positive light. I have made and will make many difficult decisions regarding end of life care and hospice care. I am well aware of my wishes (so much so they are in advanced directives and living wills) and will carry out what I feel to be appropriate action. You would be hard pressed to sway my thoughts on the matter.
No, no. I don't wanna live in a nuclear wasteland either. Just thinking about the pros of this med. Tossing around the idea.

No, I meant like radiation poisoning is a hard way to go. So I think that amongst the deaths we can go from, that would be amongst my bottom. I don't mean anything negative to you

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ideally if a blast occurs you need to shelter for 48 hours, most of the major fallout will settle or dissipate by that time enough for you to be safe to move. A simple medical mask would be enough to avoid ingestion and iodine pills to help cope where needed.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Ideally if a blast occurs you need to shelter for 48 hours, most of the major fallout will settle or dissipate by that time enough for you to be safe to move. A simple medical mask would be enough to avoid ingestion and iodine pills to help cope where needed.
True. But maybe I was asleep or something when it happened?

According to CDC, iodine is not necessary for those over age 40. That was why I was thinking more of Prussian Blue which is for all age groups

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fourier Series posted:

True. But maybe I was asleep or something when it happened?

According to CDC, iodine is not necessary for those over age 40. That was why I was thinking more of Prussian Blue which is for all age groups

Iodine supplements, yes you not longer need them over 40. Iodine pills when under nuclear fallout, yes. You will still absorb radioactive iodine, the Potassium Iodide tablets are to prevent that.

If you are asleep I'd assume you are indoors. Either way its unlikely you'd sleep through a nuclear exchange unless you die in your sleep.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Either way its unlikely you'd sleep through a nuclear exchange unless you die in your sleep.
Fair point. Lolz. Hey, honey, what happened???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ASAPI posted:

There aren't many scenarios where only bomb goes off. Moving perpendicular probably doesn't help.

I've never heard the iodine <40 thing, I guess because of a lower risk of thyroid cancer. Still not sure how that works, but good to know.