Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The gun x sword twerking is a nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Arc Hammer posted:

Is the YF-19 going to be more similar to an HG or an RG in terms of construction?

HG. It's gonna be a parts former. But definitely a good one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's this about the HG YF-19 being upcoming? :confused:

Now if HLJ will send me mine....

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

HG. It's gonna be a parts former. But definitely a good one.

I was initially disappointed the HG wasn't a Perfect Transformation, and I still haven't ordered one because for me half the fun is transforming the thing

but then I remembered my Yamato YF-19 kind of gives me fits in places and it's 1/60, and I have to think it would be a nightmare at 1/100

(Bandai has put out fully-variable "toys" at the 1/100 scale but nothing more complex than the VF-1 and VF-4)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin_Brett posted:

The translucent parts look pretty good too, was wondering how they'd come off outside production photos. Moderoid's been doing great stuff lately, been putting their White Lily together and that's a really well-thought out kit too.

Yeah it doesn't quite show well in the photos but all the translucent blue parts are gorgeous.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phy posted:

I was initially disappointed the HG wasn't a Perfect Transformation, and I still haven't ordered one because for me half the fun is transforming the thing

but then I remembered my Yamato YF-19 kind of gives me fits in places and it's 1/60, and I have to think it would be a nightmare at 1/100

(Bandai has put out fully-variable "toys" at the 1/100 scale but nothing more complex than the VF-1 and VF-4)

I have a 1/100 transforming VF-19. It.. is not..good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1341546500...ngaAsBtEALw_wcB

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That small plus mid-90s engineering? Yee ikes

(Tbh I thought the ancient Macross 7 stuff was 1/72)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1626418609953308673?s=20

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phy posted:

That small plus mid-90s engineering? Yee ikes

(Tbh I thought the ancient Macross 7 stuff was 1/72)

Oh no. It's worse. most of it is 1/144. (I own it... ) It's not great stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpacyLuna/status/1624295167350960128?s=20

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phy posted:

Everyone wants a fully transforming model kit until they actually build one. Give me the parts forming every time.

The VF-25 model kits turned out basically fine thanks to some metal hinge rods, but the posability in battroid form is pretty bad. They're better than the MG Victory though which is just all the bads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I didn't dare hope... :shepspends:

edit: :siren: It's already up for preoder on HLJ! :siren:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I read that as the very first plastic model of A Mecha at first and was like wow what a history

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Everyone wants a fully transforming model kit until they actually build one. Give me the parts forming every time.

The VF-25 model kits turned out basically fine thanks to some metal hinge rods, but the posability in battroid form is pretty bad. They're better than the MG Victory though which is just all the bads.

Depends on the difficulty of the transformation. Something like Flauros or the FLAT is fine. Basic movements, maybe looks a little goofy in the alt form, but it's a smooth process and it doesn't impact the kit negatively. Then you've got designs like the RG Unicorn that are a bit of a fiddly pain to do right, but they look good and they don't impede the model in either mode.

And then you have things like the RG Zeta.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The most complicated kit I've built yet, and the most fun.

I cracked open the RG, just to look at it, not to start it, and I saw the sticker sheet. Great googly moogly. It's too much.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

The most complicated kit I've built yet, and the most fun.

I cracked open the RG, just to look at it, not to start it, and I saw the sticker sheet. Great googly moogly. It's too much.

For RG's, the decals are there as something extra you can put on if you are feeling up to it. It's not like the HGs where the stickers are required for color accuracy

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Z'Gok tomorrow! :woop:

Tried looking for review and stuff and saw a few build videos. Some have regular stickers and some have water slides. Same logos and stuff just better material. Gonna have to look into that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So I think I worked out how the Easy-Grade Nu's made the Lucky Dip giveaway box....

The joint connecting the upper arm to the shoulder just does not have any friction at all. It hangs free and just will not stay 99% of the time. Pose it arms raised, and don't breath near it if you buy it, I guess. I sincerely don't know if this is a manufacturing defect on just mine, though it's on both arms so :shrug:, because this isn't something I'd expect to ever see occur in a newish Bandai-made kit.

Which is a shame really, because aside from that this thing was a fun build. It's like made an early-00 HG kit, only with better engineering and enough colour separation to not need stickers. The legs have great posability too.

Kirby, you built yours yet? I'm curious to see if you wind up with the same issue.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mindblast posted:

Z'Gok tomorrow! :woop:

Tried looking for review and stuff and saw a few build videos. Some have regular stickers and some have water slides. Same logos and stuff just better material. Gonna have to look into that.
Have fun! The HG comes with two colored stickers iirc. One for the eye and one for the pilot hatch. Never really understood the last one because it's the same as painting "shoot here" on your giant war machine :v:

The RG or MG should come with a lot of water slides/decals and you can also buy decal sheets (Bandai or aftermarket) if you want to spruce up the HG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kirby, you built yours yet? I'm curious to see if you wind up with the same issue.

A friend did one last week and didn't seem to have this problem.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thats awesome news I got the RG.

Never worked with slides. They don't look that had to use. I see people use small sticks to position them. Time to steal a few from work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1626531564854341632?s=20

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: putting this back and moving the edit to a new post

It's my perception that Katoki designs in particular (like Unicorn) go buck wild on the microscopic caution labels, and personally I feel like at a certain scale those would just sort of "wash out" - you wouldn't notice them at all at the same visual distance from the real mobile suit

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 17, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phy posted:

It's my perception that Katoki designs in particular (like Unicorn) go buck wild on the microscopic caution labels, and personally I feel like at a certain scale those would just sort of "wash out" - you wouldn't notice them at all at the same visual distance from the real mobile suit

Can you please convince the slave drivers at the CGI mines to apply this logic in their movies and shows? Greeblies and kibble are fun but a clean and easily readable shape is better when it isn't bogged down with microscopic detail.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Michael Bay Optimus Prime ver ka

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Total aside: where would be the best place to sign up for alerts on new mecha poo poo from Bandai?

E: never mind the rest of this post though, I checked back on amazon and a different reseller had it for both a lower price and cheaper shipping. Will post up pictures here and in the Transformers thread when I get it.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 17, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Michael Bay Optimus Prime ver ka

I'm pretty sure that would constitute an illegal explosive weapon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm pretty sure that would constitute an illegal explosive weapon.

It would absolutely be a hand-grenade kit.

I'm trying to get myself back on the hobby track. In the same way everyone else does, I ordered myself 4 kits yesterday:

RG Hi-nu
HG Gustav Karl
HG Messer
HG Zaku II "Ground War" kit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Huh can't believe I didn't think to look for the SA Gunpla thread sooner

Kind of a weird question but I'm interested in seeing how some of the older kits are to build in comparison to the modern design/manufacturing on the more recent ones- what are some of the oldest kits that are in production/still availible?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kind of a weird question but I'm interested in seeing how some of the older kits are to build in comparison to the modern design/manufacturing on the more recent ones- what are some of the oldest kits that are in production/still availible?

Technically you can still get the 1980 kits, although I think you might have to find them in Japan somewhere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

poorly. the GP02 Master grade from 1998 sucks dick for example.

Pre-grade kits barely have any articulation and a lot of them require adhesives.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hmmpf. Because I bought fast, cheap, and dumb. I could probally do a pretty good evaluation of the progress of gunpla over the last.. oh.. 25 years.

I should do that? I"ll see if I have time this weekend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Technically you can still get the 1980 kits, although I think you might have to find them in Japan somewhere.

Not even Japan only. They still show up in hobby shops, too. I've got a GM sniper custom from the MSX line sitting around unbuilt, and a G cannon I finished. There are barely any kits that are really out of print. Some just take longer to get a turn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Not even Japan only. They still show up in hobby shops, too. I've got a GM sniper custom from the MSX line sitting around unbuilt, and a G cannon I finished. There are barely any kits that are really out of print. Some just take longer to get a turn.

My current shopping spree I was actually looking for both of the "Ground War" kits because I wanted to make a diorama using them and some N-scale model train stuff. But the Ground Gundam one is sold out everywhere I looked and ebay is all scalper prices.

My goal is to clear my backlog by summer, so if I can find a restock before then I'll be happy.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Warmachine posted:

My current shopping spree I was actually looking for both of the "Ground War" kits because I wanted to make a diorama using them and some N-scale model train stuff. But the Ground Gundam one is sold out everywhere I looked and ebay is all scalper prices.

My goal is to clear my backlog by summer, so if I can find a restock before then I'll be happy.

edit: nvm HLJ has an add to cart button but I didnt see it's backordered

fwiw even though it doesnt have the tanks the hguc rx-79(g) itself got a 2.0 in 2018 and is more readily available. the one in the ground war set is the old mold

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

edit: nvm HLJ has an add to cart button but I didnt see it's backordered

fwiw even though it doesnt have the tanks the hguc rx-79(g) itself got a 2.0 in 2018 and is more readily available. the one in the ground war set is the old mold

The ground war kit's extra runner is also available with the White Dingo GM Sniper Custom, if you can find that for a reasonable rate. Only one runner of it, as opposed to the two you get with the Ground Gundam, but it's technically an alternative, even if it's P-Bandai.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like these are some mid-90s kits representative of like an earlier, cruder construction without actually requiring glue or paint- have to pick up a few or something else to make the flat rate shipping worth it on this retailer

Might just go for a few of em- have a soft spot for G Gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Looks like these are some mid-90s kits representative of like an earlier, cruder construction without actually requiring glue or paint- have to pick up a few or something else to make the flat rate shipping worth it on this retailer

If you're looking for a decent build from decades ago, I might recommend a F91 kit first. Bandai actually had things go downhill for a bit in the G through X era for high grades.

I'm not going to say the Heavy Gun is "still amazing today" or anything, but if you build it, it's surprisingly good for how old it is, while G's HG kits are... disappointing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I take it back about the EG Nu's arms; Had another poke at it, and turns out you just gotta REALLY jam the fuckers into the shoulder to find the notch that locks them in.

So, overall, I guess I gotta admit it's a pretty great kit! :doh:

edit:

Built the Framerobo: Mars Frame tonight. It's very... Red. They're good simple kits for kids, my only real complaint is there's parts of this where you fold on plastic hinges to bring things into place, and getting the torso assembled and locked in was certainly an exercise in frustration. It locks solid when done, but getting everything tabbed and folder in properly was annoying and it doesn't really bring anything to the table that couldn't have been done by just jabbing pegs into slots instead. I can kinda see it being a big parts for small kids thing, I guess.

There's also some parts that you slap on the sides of the arms and legs that're just... there. I assume they're for the combination weapon modes these things seem to have, but they're a little too blatantly stuck-wherever, if that makes sense?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 18, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

The weird mid 90s ones don't "require" glue or paint but they absolutely definitely need it. Probably some seam filler too depending on how far out of spec they are. All that, some chiseling and sculpting here and there, and maybe some aftermarket joints and you'll have something close to a series HG from 10 years ago!

(They're bad :ssh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
What's a brand of (not rattlecan) lacquer gloss? All I can find in local hobby shops and amazon are arcylic glosses, or furniture glosses in rattle cans, and most don't even say what type they are.

I had my first 'big' fuckup whilst airbrushing on my fourth kit. I didn't put a coat of gloss (vallejo mecha acrylic) on thick enough, so it's a bit uneven and flow type panel liners, uh, didn't flow. I ended up making a mess, and when I started to clean it up using cheap swabs made slightly damp from the nozzle of a spray-bottle of alcohol (99%, 91% is harder to get around here, as is lighter fluid) the gloss started to melt and go tacky. From a few angles there are now streaks visible in the finish. I did get lucky enough to avoid lifting the paint below, somehow.

As panel lining products tend to be enamels, I guess I probably want to consider use of a lacquer gloss so that clean-up products (whether alcohol or enamel thinner) have a harder time eating into it if I'm paranoid about a particular kit.

Whilst posting anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on better ways to clean panel lines than swabs? I go through a lot of them, and whilst they're cheap something with a tighter weave that I could potentially clean and re-use would be better. 'Gun cleaning swabs' don't really exist here, and if imported through amazon seem to be a LOT more expensive (10-20x) than you'd think.

(I did look at cuticle pushers, but the tips are solid rubber so alcohol or thinners just slide straight off)