Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cool, what a piece of poo poo, and a stupid disaster of a law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

really demonstrates the perils of steam-only distribution. valve does not give a gently caress

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Lol what the gently caress I hope this dude steps on Lego every day

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Such a scummy thing to do especially to a small indie dev studio.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Log082 posted:

That's bullshit.

Some rear end in a top hat can just DMCA an entire game they're not otherwise involved with? How does any game stay up, then?

Upon getting a DMCA a company has to take something down or suffer liability if it's infringing. No evidence aside from pinkie swearing that you are the real copyright holder in the claim itself is needed. You can reinstate things after an appeal from the uploader, though you can also tell all involved to go settle it in court. The upshot is that takedowns are automatic.

There theoretically is a criminal penalty of perjury in US jurisdiction for issueing a false claim, but lol if you think anybody is going to bother with that. It's never been prosecuted. Ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg hire a lawyer guys come on

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I expect the claim to be overturned, as it is clearly highly suspect. The whole situation is suspicious though. If it were so easy to take a game down this way you'd expect a lot more games to share that fate. Like any early access game which accepts and makes changes based on community feedback.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
No way this is upheld because every major moddable game like Minecraft will be in the crosshairs, right?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

This is a wild story. :stare: The guy who believes he is owed a portion of the game's profits for writing a fan guide is a lawyer and hitting them with everything he can file, lawsuits, DCMA takedowns, etc. He got 3Dvision's company website taken down for a short while by doing some weird rear end filing against them. Since he's a lawyer, he's apparently doing all of this on his own. Also he starts basically all written communications with 'U.S. Disabled Veteran | US Navy | Gamer | Lawyer | Retired', you kinda get the idea of the caliber of shithead this is.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 16, 2023

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This dude really sucks hard.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

DMCA takedowns operate on a thin veneer of "we live in a society" so the answer is no one has been so petty to bother. If this gets wide enough coverage we may see a spate of this sort of dumb thing.

I mean, I knew this was true for youtube videos, but I assumed steam had slightly higher standards for videogames they were actively selling. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

No way this is upheld because every major moddable game like Minecraft will be in the crosshairs, right?

This isn't even a mod, it's literally just a written text guide about which settings to click in game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The guide wasn’t even written well !!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I stated reading that guide a year or so ago after I bought the game and was like "whoa this sounds like a dogshit way to play and this guy must hate fun."

Welp.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is fun to play in the supported version they added in . It’s just slow

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The guide itself was dogsshit memebait. But it got the community talking about how cool it was to personally logistic everything everywhere.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Look, I only play to make trains while listening to Soviet disco music.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of just not using the auto teleport features is not groundbreaking, it's clearly where the meat of the game is because if you just buy everything then you almost don't need to engage with a lot of the systems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm using myself as the yardstick here that the average video game player is colossally dumb and would keep playing this game using auto build which results in it playing like janky Tropico with Soviet disco if there weren't streamers or posters explaining the alternative.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m a little annoyed to see some shithead loving with chill rear end Eastern European devs who had a cool idea for a game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’m a little annoyed to see some shithead loving with chill rear end Eastern European devs who had a cool idea for a game.

That is wonderful. Myself I'm leaning more towards murderous.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Since I don't want to think about that lovely dude legally trolling the game, its time for screenshot dump. I was going to wait to share again until I finished and decorated the new city I have more fully, but its big and taking a very long time for my people to get to babymaking and fill in the population, so I'm only building just ahead of the people filling in new apartment blocks.

I will never stop building breakwaters unnecessarily and as mentioned a long time ago in a previous save with a harbor, the boats actually know to respect the breakwater buildings inherently, which is kind of crazy to me. On the left in the first pic is my oil field that I've shared before. You can see my refinery and oil port in the background there.

An overhead of the refinery and oil port, complete with gas power plant as well. I didn't originally plan this here, but it just sort of made sense instead of shipping the oil elsewhere before tanking it out.

Here's the new city! It's the first time in awhile I've had the opportunity to build a city that's more or less flat and open - I was almost at a loss for how to approach it after spending a lot of time in maps that sort of force a layout. Even this map I started in a boxy valley. I still can't quite find the right way to embrace microdistricting, but maybe once I build my glorious capitol city I can get less "central services with blocks of residential that you travel from." There's a whole lot of space to grow into, but the population is only just getting to a sustainable point where they have enough workers to man all the essential city services while providing enough worker overflow to send cars out to the heating and sewer plants.

I may have showed this before, but the highway and my favorite mod: the managed forests that generate wood without having to plant new trees. I miss the aesthetics of lumberjacking, but not the annoying micro. In this Republic, I am keeping a limited access, divided highway between the three large customs offices. There are other highways in the Republic of course - but I'm not holding those 'minor' highways to the same standards of intersection and access. It's kind of fun, because it adds a challenge to dedicate the space to the major thoroughfares to be more US interstate/Autobahn style. (Thus the elaborate interchanges you can see that aren't really necessary for this game. The 'interstate' here runs in the middle of the image from right to left.)

One of my next challenges is cutting that 'interstate' highway and trunk rail lines through this nightmare. It already has a single road cut through it, but it won't be easy to make a nice road through this area. (I'm super excited to take a first swipe at it.) The other side of this area is where I want to build my main export port - loading huge container ships in an area that has a perfect natural harbor. This is also probably where I'll build the major airport, since the 'capitol' of the Republic will probably be fairly close to there. Still some planning to do, though.

A wideshot. There's not many games other than Skylines that can hit this same level of ant farm, and this is the only one that pleases me knowing that all those buildings are extremely functional, not just another random RCI pop-up.

Night wideshot. I think I had already shared one with my first city, so this one is focused more on the new city, which isn't super impressive yet at night, but its coming along.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That refinery port looks really neat.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popete posted:

That refinery port looks really neat.

Thanks! I think maybe the embankments mod + concrete/asphalt terrain paints (which I forgot to place!) + fencing and stuff makes it easy to make ports look neat because they're just easy to make look kind of real and busy. It's a lot more work to make something that looks that nice if its a city or other complex because you have a lot more weird pieces. The port stuff just fits together so well.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I went back and paved it, but to offset my paving, I also planted the slope up between the port and train tracks for the ecosystem and soil retention/erosion prevention.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Please make us a mod pack, tia.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That is a gorgeous port.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's a huge port, are all of those liquid storages functional/necessary or are they aesthetic?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

double nine posted:

that's a huge port, are all of those liquid storages functional/necessary or are they aesthetic?

The scale maybe not. Initially the storages up the hill by the refinery were all that were planned there and I would handle the cut that gets exported elsewhere. When I decided to build the port itself right there, I just doubled up the storage so I could use pipe priority to split it. Certainly the export tanks could be smaller since they only have to avoid filling up while the ship is out running an export run (else the refinery would stop producing.) That said the refinery is only running about 1/5-1/3 productivity and can produce a large amount of stuff quickly (relative to how fast the boat takes to turn around) so it may not be *as* over built.

That said it’s really only the scale that’s not necessary. All of the pieces there are functional.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I think I've said it before, but the main thing that held me off from buying the game initially was that all the featured cities on the store page looked terrible. It made me think that you couldn't build pretty and everything would always look that janky.

When the store page comes back up they should just replace whatever's there with ASA's screenshots, it would unironically drive sales.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I think I've said it before, but the main thing that held me off from buying the game initially was that all the featured cities on the store page looked terrible. It made me think that you couldn't build pretty and everything would always look that janky.

When the store page comes back up they should just replace whatever's there with ASA's screenshots, it would unironically drive sales.

You flatter me! Though I suspect they might not want them considering uh… in many cases I don’t have a single vanilla building. Robs074 on the workshop keeps me going. His collection of buildings makes up a lions share of my poo poo. All very well done with a consistent theme and feel and more or less balanced with vanilla numbers. He also adds a couple crucial things like a small 2 truck fire department that doesn’t need district heating.

Pharnakes posted:

Please make us a mod pack, tia.

I can give you a mod dump pretty quickly, but I’ll warn you that it’ll be everything I have, which includes basically anything approaching decent on the workshop and especially your monuments mod building page will be full of a ton of poo poo you’ll never ever use. I really need to back and clean out a lot of mods, it’s probably one of the things that makes my load time suck rear end and there’s a lot I downloaded to try out yet I never use.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2934742330

Have some mods! This pack is viable to start from roughly 1930-32, also. (Mind you the quality of some early vehicles varies WILDLY and there's even some duplicates that I hate, but I haven't bothered to go curate the early vehicle sets nicely.) Some of the earliest NATO vehicles are basically cheating given the era and their scale, too. It also has all my favorite maps. I tend to think finding a pleasing map is the hardest part of the game since many folks like to make them either too realistic (often too flat, too large of scale of landform features) or too extreme (game-y).

Like I said, be forewarned that there's a lot of trash in there. Maybe if I find some time this weekend I'll actually curate a nice pack for folks that doesn't have a lot of the random stuff I've picked up but don't use.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
997 :stare:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey, come on, like nearly half of those are just the Robs074 collections that I just blindly sub to.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Every time I do a new playthrough I do a purge of all my mods and even then 2/3 of the stuff I add I never end up using.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

What, so ASA can DMCA them too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By default the game doesn't really give you a lot of beautifying tools which is a real shame. Especially since they have the curved bridges, it would be nice if there were retaining walls which would auto level, or sunken roads you could build etc.

For a game where the elevation layout of the city is very important and there's a huge focus on infrastructure it doesn't really give you much to let you build interesting elevation changes or things like hillside cut roads.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

By default the game doesn't really give you a lot of beautifying tools which is a real shame. Especially since they have the curved bridges, it would be nice if there were retaining walls which would auto level, or sunken roads you could build etc.

For a game where the elevation layout of the city is very important and there's a huge focus on infrastructure it doesn't really give you much to let you build interesting elevation changes or things like hillside cut roads.

A lot of city builders have this problem, I've noticed.

One thing you can do in W&R is activate the cheat menu (C+H+E at the same time) and activate the cheat landscaping tools, which aren't blocked by buildings like the regular tool and are also more powerful. It's really handy for doing tweaks and making things look right, and it's about the only way I've found to make the modded city embankments work.

The devs also released a community update. No real news, but they have submitted a counter-claim to the DMCA.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

A lot of city builders have this problem, I've noticed.

One thing you can do in W&R is activate the cheat menu (C+H+E at the same time) and activate the cheat landscaping tools, which aren't blocked by buildings like the regular tool and are also more powerful. It's really handy for doing tweaks and making things look right, and it's about the only way I've found to make the modded city embankments work.

The devs also released a community update. No real news, but they have submitted a counter-claim to the DMCA.

The more powerful cheat mode terrain tools are crazy useful but you have to be careful and save a lot while using them in case you gently caress up.

I do wish there was more to do with height transitions. I’ve tried really hard to do a lot with it, but inevitably you either try to hide slopes or flatten everything. The modded embankments aren’t bad, but they’re kind of a bear to set up nicely and they end up looking really samey and taking up a lot of extra space if you really use them a lot. I’ve taken to doing the “replanted forest” look for larger height transitions between flattened areas and that does look good, though.

Wolfy posted:

What, so ASA can DMCA them too?

I’ve contacted the devs and told them that I own aesthetically pleasing Soviet cities, and will be DMCAing anyone who publicly uses the tree tool for anything other than refilling the area around lumberjacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Update from the devs today, they filed a counter to the Steam DMCA take down but will have to wait and see what the response is.

quote:

And that is all for this report. Even if we are facing attacks, we still have enough resources to continue the development of the game even if the game would be banned for months or years. But the truth always wins. We will keep you updated about the game development process or any publicly suitable information that may affect it. So enjoy life, have fun and stay tuned for the next report.

At least they have enough funds to keep development going for awhile.