Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Yeah nah that doesn't hold true when you have:
- Multiple Super Soldiers
- Multiple Spider-men
- Multiple Black Widow's
- Multiple Iron-man suit Heroes
- Multiple Thors
- Multiple Hulks
- Multiple Hawkeyes

There's in-universe logic to all those. Unless they tie Ms. Marvel and Mr. Fantastic together somehow, it'd just be a coincidence and that always feels like cheap writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just don’t think there was a way to make Kamala’s powers work on a small budget, and ultimately they got her and the others characters right, so I’m ok with it.

Personally I really liked Multiverse of Madness, and Moon Knight was probably the weakest part of the MCU for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't read that many stories with Reed in them but I'm struggling to remember a time where his stretchy powers actually came up beyond generic fight scenes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mutata posted:

I worked for Disney before Guardians 1 came out and saw some early vfx stills. I predicted to all of my coworkers that "This is gonna be what kills comic book movies. No one cares about these characters."

No-one cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy either, and honestly, even Iron Man was kind of a B list hero within the Avengers and comic circles before the movies but they blew him up to be far more significant while Ant-man was almost a joke character even within the comics themselves a lot of the time; how popular a given character or property is has no real baring on how well received a movie about them will be. The writing, direction and acting of the movie itself has far more bearing on that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't read that many stories with Reed in them but I'm struggling to remember a time where his stretchy powers actually came up beyond generic fight scenes.

I haven't read that many either, but I feel like I remember a good few panels where he's using his powers in mundane situations while talking to someone or doing science; stretching to grab something from half way across a room, thinning himself to fit around things etc.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Earth-X he stretches his brain to unlock telepathy as a mutation so he can use Cerebro.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

live with fruit posted:

There's in-universe logic to all those. Unless they tie Ms. Marvel and Mr. Fantastic together somehow, it'd just be a coincidence and that always feels like cheap writing.

Sorry folks, we can only have one telepath in the X-Men films, live with fruit has spoken.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Multiple Kang Variants
Multiple Loki Variants
Multiple Variants in general
Multiple Sorceror Supremes
Multiple Sentient AI
Multiple Symbiotes
Multiple Pym Particle users
Multiple Extremis users
Multiple Speedsters
Multiple Really Strong Guys
Multiple Martial Artists
Multiple Superman analogues

"We can't have multiple stretchy people, because people wouldn't be able to tell them apart" is a dumb excuse.
TV budgetary concerns was the likely culprit.

They still did Ms Marvel dirty.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really really hope we get The Maker on screen at some point, they're an evil Reed Richards variant

Straight up body horror levels of stretching

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I was overjoyed with how Ms Marvel turned out and while it's a bit disappointing they changed the powers live action stretchy powers have been body horror territory in previous attempts. Maybe Di$ney could do it better.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In one of the very early stories Doom has trapped him in a room being filled with dirt, so Reed stretches into the spaces between the clumps

A couple of times he's stretched his muscles to give himself super strength

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LongDarkNight posted:

I was overjoyed with how Ms Marvel turned out and while it's a bit disappointing they changed the powers live action stretchy powers have been body horror territory in previous attempts. Maybe Di$ney could do it better.

I was aware of Ms. Marvel prior to the show, but I'd never read any of her comics or anything because I'd dropped out of comics with several years by the time she was even created; as such I have no real attachment to her powers being depicted in a specific way. Which I say because the major complaint of every comic reader seems to be "her powers weren't done right", and as a non-comic reader I find it way more of an issue that her show was basically 2 seasons of the one thing really badly stitched together.

There was 2 really promising seasons there that could have been great if it had committed to either, but as is, the stuff with her visiting Pakistan ended on a complete wet fart, along with her connection to the notGenies! and while the stand off at the school finale for the home stuff was better, it'd still probably have been far more emotive and effective with 3 more episodes of build up for the characters involved. The bully girl just turning up out of the blue to be like "Oh yea, I know her secret; I'm cool, want a hand?" was just completely deflating, for instance. The tension with her best friend over them finding out she was Night Light felt like it was underserved due to having to wrap everything up so quickly too, as a more prominent example.

I still enjoyed the show, but a lot of that was down to the charisma of the cast; especially Iman Vellani, but both her parents too. The actual narrative was shaky, and I really hope the creators don't end up loving up the second season (presuming it'll happen) in the same way. I'm happy with how her powers are being described though. I think the comic panels people have posted are cool theoretically, but if Disney wants to skimp to save budget by doing them as magic hands then I'm fine with that too. I'll take fixing the writing over fixing her powers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's the comic where Mephisto grabs Reed and twists his face all around. And Reed turned himself into a space-ship, with Sue's assistance. His body-morphing skills have actually been prominent, even if he's mostly just the brains dude.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Sentinel Red posted:

Sorry folks, we can only have one telepath in the X-Men films, live with fruit has spoken.

Maybe there's some merit in that if it means you can't have Jean Grey and therefore the inevitable franchise-destroying Dark Phoenix movie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

enki42 posted:

Maybe there's some merit in that if it means you can't have Jean Grey and therefore the inevitable franchise-destroying Dark Phoenix movie.

I'm presuming that Feige/Disney are going to avoid that, since they have avoided the more obvious Spiderman villains and arcs that have been done to death in other stuff before on film. Which means that instead of evil telepath Jean Grey, we get evil telepath Charles Xavier! Look foward to the X-Men movies building up to an Onslaught movie :hellyeah:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shush this is the one time they might actually do Dark Phoenix properly don't take it away from me :gonk:

Also please don't sideline Cyclops this time drat

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was obviously being somewhat facetious with suggesting Onslaught, but I genuinely think there's a good chance that Feige won't want to touch the Dark Phoenix storyline just because Sony/Singer kept trying to make it happen. The fact they botched it every time won't help, but just the fact it's been done twice in the space of 20 years and audiences are already familiar with it and potentially bored by it will keep him from looking at it, I think. It's also a storyline that kind of depends on familiarity with and investment in the cast developed over a decent chunk of time (which is a part of the reason Sony/Singer could never make it work, since they just wanted to rush into it), and seems more like something you'd do in the second phase of X-Men stuff to sunset some of that cast and clear the way for the new generation.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

Shush this is the one time they might actually do Dark Phoenix properly don't take it away from me :gonk:

Also please don't sideline Cyclops this time drat

I don't think it can work in films, you're looking at a over a decade worth of them to have a chance of doing it justice. That build up with the 'death', the return, the high of literally saving reality, followed by the comedown, temptation, and broccoli planet exploding. And focusing on it means less time to explore other characters and their stories.

At this point, I'd rather they didn't bother. It sucks seeing awesome, long-running stories reduced to a couple of base moments completely lacking all the context and majesty of the originals (Skurge in Ragnarok, and both Gorr and Jane in L&T being more recent examples).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think cinematic Gorr is more interesting than the comic one. You're prob right about Jane and def about Skurge that's like 40 years of comic buildup right there

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Shageletic posted:

I think cinematic Gorr is more interesting than the comic one. You're prob right about Jane and def about Skurge that's like 40 years of comic buildup right there

You're probably right about Gorr in pure character terms. Bale's performance was the best thing about the film but while the comic version was less fleshed out and more an unstoppable antagonist, all the wild poo poo of it taking place over thousands of years and different times of Thor's life, the three Thors teaming up to finally bring him down was rad and would have been great to see in an adaption that had time to breathe instead of competing with time for Jane's story too.

And there's the other rub, I just think of that story where she's put on trial for not being godly enough and these shithead alien gods are flexing by sending cataclysms upon their own people to show how awesome they are, that this is what real gods are capable of. And instead Jane does all she can to save them and the people end up in awe of her because this dying lady doesn't give a poo poo about being worshipped, she just wants to help whoever she can, a non-god showing that they're a better god than most of them put together. That poo poo was beautiful and nope, never getting that on the silver screen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Multiple Kang Variants
Multiple Loki Variants
Multiple Variants in general
Multiple Sorceror Supremes
Multiple Sentient AI
Multiple Symbiotes
Multiple Pym Particle users
Multiple Extremis users
Multiple Speedsters
Multiple Really Strong Guys
Multiple Martial Artists
Multiple Superman analogues

"We can't have multiple stretchy people, because people wouldn't be able to tell them apart" is a dumb excuse.
TV budgetary concerns was the likely culprit.

They still did Ms Marvel dirty.

I didn't say they wouldn't be able to tell them apart, I said it'd seem like sloppy writing for two unrelated characters to have the same skillset. Of everything you listed, the only ones who aren't connected are the Stark AI's and Shuri's and Quicksilver and the fast Eternal. Multiple Pym Particle users clearly isn't the same thing because they're using the same Pym Particles. Same with Extremis users and Symbiotes, even though that's a different series.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sentinel Red posted:

You're probably right about Gorr in pure character terms. Bale's performance was the best thing about the film but while the comic version was less fleshed out and more an unstoppable antagonist, all the wild poo poo of it taking place over thousands of years and different times of Thor's life, the three Thors teaming up to finally bring him down was rad and would have been great to see in an adaption that had time to breathe instead of competing with time for Jane's story too.

And there's the other rub, I just think of that story where she's put on trial for not being godly enough and these shithead alien gods are flexing by sending cataclysms upon their own people to show how awesome they are, that this is what real gods are capable of. And instead Jane does all she can to save them and the people end up in awe of her because this dying lady doesn't give a poo poo about being worshipped, she just wants to help whoever she can, a non-god showing that they're a better god than most of them put together. That poo poo was beautiful and nope, never getting that on the silver screen.

Well poo poo, now I’m angry about Love and Thunder. Twice.

Still, at least we got plenty of Korg.

Ok, angry three times then.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Marvels has been delayed until November 10th :smith:

But at least we get an official poster

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't mind delayed release dates if it means CGI techs aren't being forced into major crunch

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

live with fruit posted:

I didn't say they wouldn't be able to tell them apart, I said it'd seem like sloppy writing for two unrelated characters to have the same skillset. Of everything you listed, the only ones who aren't connected are the Stark AI's and Shuri's and Quicksilver and the fast Eternal. Multiple Pym Particle users clearly isn't the same thing because they're using the same Pym Particles. Same with Extremis users and Symbiotes, even though that's a different series.

Captain America and Captain Wakanda are basically similar and have no real relation. Both chemically enhanced humans with generic, but minor, super strength, speed, endurance etc, who are the iconic hero of their nation. There's a fan theory that Erskine's super soldier serum is somehow related to the heart shaped herb but it's not really based on anything textual.

I also don't buy that budget was an issue. Doom Patrol has a stretchy girl and they have no problem giving her powers. If Marvel wanted to, they could have done it. Flash had a stretchy guy years ago with a pittance of a budget who looked half-decent, and Ms Marvel definitely had a bigger budget than Flash.

For those that think that, even if they tried, it couldn't have looked good... I don't think that's a problem. It would have looked silly and odd, rather than cool and appealing, but is critical that we maximize every element of a 16-year old girl based on what looks most appealing?

A significant part of the premise of her character is learning to deal with powers that change her appearance in uncomfortable ways, and learning to love and accept herself regardless of what her body looks like, which ties into her being a BIPOC young girl. Saying that a character like that needs to have her powers changed so they look good is certainly... a take.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rarity posted:

I don't mind delayed release dates if it means CGI techs aren't being forced into major crunch

It also evens out the movie release schedule. It was going to be Marvels in July, then nothing until May 24.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm curious if this is going to affect D+ release schedules. The more they spread out theatrical releases, the easier it is to just skip them and still be able to catch up on streaming before the next movie comes out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

I just don’t think there was a way to make Kamala’s powers work on a small budget, and ultimately they got her and the others characters right, so I’m ok with it.
They certainly did, 'cause I'd never read any of her comics, but she's my favorite superhero now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rarity posted:

If that was the reason then I would be totally cool with it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rarity posted:

They can't do it well because the storyline sucks

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They've already played the Dark Phoenix card with Wanda anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Phoenix Five style plot line would be better than another Phoenix rehash.

Multiple good heroes turning evil.

(Scott is still a dick and deserves to be punched)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Infinitum posted:

A Phoenix Five style plot line would be better than another Phoenix rehash.

Multiple good heroes turning evil.

(Scott is still a dick and deserves to be punched)

the only good hero there is Colossus hth

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I think Morlocks could be done well. Have the first movie be relatively vanilla, introducing characters and concepts etc, and showing the X-Men as a team of friendly neighborhood mutants that are working to protect a world that hates and fears them. Go up against Sentinels or Purifiers. Or even Magneto & his Brotherhood, showing people that some mutants care about humans and they don't need to be afraid.

Then in a sequel, go with the morlocks and the mutant massacre and focus on the mutants who don't have it so easy, who don't look like Warren Worthington III or Marvel Girl. It works well with the mutant/queer parallel, especially with bigotry and violence against transfolks being very culturally relevant right now.

Plus, Storm & Callisto are awesome and Leech and Artie are super cute. (I know Artie isn't a morlock but he's cool and his power would POP if they did it well)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Firebert posted:

I'm curious if this is going to affect D+ release schedules. The more they spread out theatrical releases, the easier it is to just skip them and still be able to catch up on streaming before the next movie comes out.

It already did. Earlier this week, they said they expect to push 3 or 4 D+ shows back a year.

Secret Invasion and Loki are the only shows guaranteed to be released in the next year.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

XboxPants posted:

Saying that a character like that needs to have her powers changed so they look good is certainly... a take.

I think saying "her powers would be visually horrifying done right in live action", which is the argument at least half the time, is a bit different than "they'd be ugly".

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

tsob posted:

I was aware of Ms. Marvel prior to the show, but I'd never read any of her comics or anything because I'd dropped out of comics with several years by the time she was even created; as such I have no real attachment to her powers being depicted in a specific way. Which I say because the major complaint of every comic reader seems to be "her powers weren't done right", and as a non-comic reader I find it way more of an issue that her show was basically 2 seasons of the one thing really badly stitched together.

There was 2 really promising seasons there that could have been great if it had committed to either, but as is, the stuff with her visiting Pakistan ended on a complete wet fart, along with her connection to the notGenies! and while the stand off at the school finale for the home stuff was better, it'd still probably have been far more emotive and effective with 3 more episodes of build up for the characters involved. The bully girl just turning up out of the blue to be like "Oh yea, I know her secret; I'm cool, want a hand?" was just completely deflating, for instance. The tension with her best friend over them finding out she was Night Light felt like it was underserved due to having to wrap everything up so quickly too, as a more prominent example.

I still enjoyed the show, but a lot of that was down to the charisma of the cast; especially Iman Vellani, but both her parents too. The actual narrative was shaky, and I really hope the creators don't end up loving up the second season (presuming it'll happen) in the same way. I'm happy with how her powers are being described though. I think the comic panels people have posted are cool theoretically, but if Disney wants to skimp to save budget by doing them as magic hands then I'm fine with that too. I'll take fixing the writing over fixing her powers.
This is basically my exact take. I had not read much comics since she debuted so I missed be but was aware so I'm not overwrought about being a sort of stretchy version of Armor. I agree it should of been 2-3 more episodes longer or don't do the Pakistan arc until the next season. Iman Vellani was insanely charming and likable and I am bummed we don't get more of her until November.

live with fruit posted:

I didn't say they wouldn't be able to tell them apart, I said it'd seem like sloppy writing for two unrelated characters to have the same skillset.
Stretchiness is also more of a niche power compared to the usual superpowers so that's part of it too. Also I would worry her hands would look like the climax of the Foo Fighters' Everlong video and Gen X/old millennials would giggle.

tsob posted:

(which is a part of the reason Sony/Singer could never make it work, since they just wanted to rush into it)
Fox/Singer not Sony

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

XboxPants posted:

I think Morlocks could be done well. Have the first movie be relatively vanilla, introducing characters and concepts etc, and showing the X-Men as a team of friendly neighborhood mutants that are working to protect a world that hates and fears them. Go up against Sentinels or Purifiers. Or even Magneto & his Brotherhood, showing people that some mutants care about humans and they don't need to be afraid.

Then in a sequel, go with the morlocks and the mutant massacre and focus on the mutants who don't have it so easy, who don't look like Warren Worthington III or Marvel Girl. It works well with the mutant/queer parallel, especially with bigotry and violence against transfolks being very culturally relevant right now.

Plus, Storm & Callisto are awesome and Leech and Artie are super cute. (I know Artie isn't a morlock but he's cool and his power would POP if they did it well)
This is a great idea

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I would like the first X-Men movie to not have world destruction-level stakes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

KurdtLives posted:

I agree it should of been 2-3 more episodes longer or don't do the Pakistan arc until the next season.

Partition is such an unexamined thing in Western media that I don't fault the writers for trying to cram it in, especially when there's no guarantee a season 2 will happen, or that they'll be the ones writing it if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sandwolf posted:

I would like the first X-Men movie to not have world destruction-level stakes.
this new group of offbeat heroes are the only ones who can ensure the local roller rink doesn't go out of business