Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

The Lord Bude posted:

If you don’t actually need to carry your computer around with you then you’re better off with a desktop, especially something as neat and tidy and compact as a mini. No point paying for/having to worry about a battery and a second screen that you don’t need.

Sure, you're not wrong. But that doesn't change the fact that the go-to computer style the average consumer desires and seeks out is a laptop. Normies don't want desktops.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/global-shipments-forecast-for-tablets-laptops-and-desktop-pcs/

Desktop sales numbers have been declining for years and now make up less than 1/5 of shipping personal computing devices.

https://www.idc.com/promo/pcdforecast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That doesn’t mean we should automatically tell people to get a laptop. The average consumer is an idiot. The point of giving advice is to hep people make the best decision for themselves. The relative popularity of desktops vs laptops is a completely irrelevant factor in the decision to buy a laptop vs a desktop.

edit: there are loads of reasons to buy a Mac mini other than needing to run something 24/7.

It’s the cheapest entry point into the MacOS ecosystem assuming you already have a screen you can plug into it (and even if you eventually want to replace your screen, plenty of folks would appreciate not having to pay for both at once)

It doesn’t have the thermal limitations of an Air

you can replace it without also having to pay for a screen and all the other bits and pieces that make an air or a MacBook Pro more expensive than their desktop equivalents

it’s just plain dumb to tell someone they shouldn’t buy a desktop unless they’re a gamer or running something 24/7

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 16, 2023

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I don't know what else to say except that the numbers are clear, the average person prefers a laptop, that's why they are buying them. Desktops were the norm for a long time before laptops got thin and portable, it's not like the people buying laptops today have never used a desktop.

If people preferred desktops and wanted to spend their money on a desktop they would be doing so.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Again, that’s irrelevant to the question at hand. Most people are fairly stupid. The least fairly stupid of them at least go and seek advice before spending money on something they don’t really
understand, maybe we could give them advice that’s a bit more meaningful than ‘well most people just buy laptops so there’s no reason to buy a desktop’.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 16, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Brain Issues posted:

I don't know what else to say except that the numbers are clear, the average person prefers a laptop, that's why they are buying them. Desktops were the norm for a long time before laptops got thin and portable, it's not like the people buying laptops today have never used a desktop.

If people preferred desktops and wanted to spend their money on a desktop they would be doing so.
Ok.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

Again, that’s irrelevant to the question at hand. Most people are fairly stupid. The least fairly stupid of them at least go and seek advice before spending money on something they don’t really
understand, maybe we could give them advice that’s a bit more meaningful than ‘well most people just buy laptops so there’s no reason to buy a desktop’.

lmao

there’s “people can be generally ignorant or ill-informed about things and act unoptimally or against their best interests” and then there’s whatever the hell this “people are too stupid not to get laptops” take is

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The average consumer is an idiot.

The consumer isn’t a moron. She is your wife.

-David Ogilvy

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think you're gonna like the 16" MBP

It’s the next mac I get for sure. Just a matter of finances and timing since I’ll probably spring for the top spec 16 :negative:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s the next mac I get for sure. Just a matter of finances and timing since I’ll probably spring for the top spec 16 :negative:

If all you do is web browsing youtube/twitch photo editing/personal film editing, wait for the 15 inch air coming (rumored) in April. It's what I'm waiting on, and then comparing it to a 14 inch pro.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
wanted to use my computer on the couch but i dropped my desktop on my foot and now it's flat as a pancake, gently caress

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
you're holding it wr

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaysette posted:

wanted to use my computer on the couch but i dropped my desktop on my foot and now it's flat as a pancake, gently caress

the Mac Mini weighs 2.6 pounds CHECKMATR IDFIOT

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

LionArcher posted:

If all you do is web browsing youtube/twitch photo editing/personal film editing, wait for the 15 inch air coming (rumored) in April. It's what I'm waiting on, and then comparing it to a 14 inch pro.

That’s just what I do on the 2009 because that’s all it can do. On a max spec M2 16” I’ll be using for AI image and video poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s just what I do on the 2009 because that’s all it can do. On a max spec M2 16” I’ll be using for AI image and video poo poo.

AI images still work pretty well on an M1 air, or so I'm told. I'd look at real world test results of m2 max versus m2/m2 pro chips in terms of AI image speeds. (I'm looking into this too because of my job). For video editing, unless it's like 8K the base m2 chips are plenty fast enough for most use cases, unless you're a full on "pro" pro.

I say all this because the m series chips are so good I think a lot of youtube/tech commentary still is recommending overbuying for this stuff. There are valid reasons to want/need the pro, (ports, some very rare use cases for speed, better screen/speakers) but I think a lot of folks fall victim to overpaying when the lower end stuff works just as well.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 16, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Some people on the Topaz forums did some tests of 1080p AI upscale to 2160p and the speed improvements scaled pretty linearly with GPU cores on M1 and M2. Plus I want the 16" screen no way around that with the air.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
OMG I'm so glad I bought parts for SSD upgrade on this iMac 5k fusion drive its getting sluggish on day 4 after format reinstall.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao

there’s “people can be generally ignorant or ill-informed about things and act unoptimally or against their best interests” and then there’s whatever the hell this “people are too stupid not to get laptops” take is

I’ve spent 20 years working in the customer service side of retail. Trust me people are loving idiots. This is extra true when it comes to computers.

Case Study: People who buy gaming laptops (with a few genuine exceptions).

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 17, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve spent 20 years working in the customer service side of retail. Trust me people are loving idiots. This is extra true when it comes to computers.

Case Study: People who buy gaming laptops (with a few genuine exceptions).

gaming laptops are an obvious enthusiast product, and such an infinitesimally small part of the market that you might as well be talking about custom van enthusiasts or guys who import JDM kei trucks to the United States while trying to characterize the average car buyer

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gaming laptops are an obvious enthusiast product, and such an infinitesimally small part of the market that you might as well be talking about custom van enthusiasts or guys who import JDM kei trucks to the United States while trying to characterize the average car buyer

It’s a facet of a larger problem - people defaulting to buying a laptop because that’s what everyone else gets/what the marketing shoves at them - despite it not being the best product for their needs.

A better car analogy would be all the families buying large SUVs when what they should be buying is station wagons or large sedans.

Cars are a good analogy because they’re another example of a product everyone has, but most people really don’t understand beyond the most superficial level, so they just buy what they’ve always bought or what their friends bought.

Samsung phones are another good example in the tech space. Anyone who actually takes the time to become genuinely informed ends up buying a pixel or something, but Samsung dominates the android space in spite of being objectively bad compared to the other options. Once again dumb people following the herd.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 17, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kaysette posted:

Your foot, or the desktop?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
man, all these people buying laptops, what gives? nobody needs that much portability. just like samsung phones, amirite?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s a facet of a larger problem - people defaulting to buying a laptop because that’s what everyone else gets/what the marketing shoves at them - despite it not being the best product for their needs.

A better car analogy would be all the families buying large SUVs when what they should be buying is station wagons or large sedans.

Cars are a good analogy because they’re another example of a product everyone has, but most people really don’t understand beyond the most superficial level, so they just buy what they’ve always bought or what their friends bought.

Samsung phones are another good example in the tech space. Anyone who actually takes the time to become genuinely informed ends up buying a pixel or something, but Samsung dominates the android space in spite of being objectively bad compared to the other options. Once again dumb people following the herd.

you sound like one of those nerds who can’t understand why people buy poo poo based on intangible things such as “do I like the look of this product” or “would this be fun to use” instead of just going off a spec sheet.

people buy suvs because they like to be higher up when they drive. people buy samsungs because their friends have them and seem pretty happy with them. people buy laptops because most people don’t have serious computing needs and the opportunity to use a laptop at the couch once in a while outweighs the fact that the screen might not be as big as a desktop.

“dumb people following the herd”. :jerkbag:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Stop arguing with Bude. He bought an Apple Studio Display so that World of Warcraft looks nicer.

There is no reason or consistency to be had.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
to live in a world where an apple studio display is a good value purchase but most laptops are not

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When did laptops surpass desktops? Mid 2000s? I feel like Core2 laptops really opened up what laptops could do to the point that most folk didn't need a desktop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

When did laptops surpass desktops? Mid 2000s? I feel like Core2 laptops really opened up what laptops could do to the point that most folk didn't need a desktop.

ppl forget that ultrabooks/post-2010 MacBook Air basically made SSDs ubiquitous, eliminating one of the big drawbacks to mainstream laptops during the spinny plate era both in terms of relative speed and longevity vs desktops, and made superlight laptops no-brainers for 99% of users overnight—much moreso than the Core era computers of the late 2000s, which were still largely seen as being for students or professionals, IMO.

Ironically enough I think the “iPad/iPhone era” is really when the idea of somebody’s middle aged mom surfing the internet from a laptop on the couch/bed/kitchen table while watching TV really calcified

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah right. Core2 laptops 'could' have been that if cheap(er) SSDs had came sooner. And a lot of Core2 laptops did get retrofitted with SATA SSDs and brought a lot of longevity to them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Microsoft is now Officially allowing you to licence ARM windows in a Parallels VM:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/microsoft-officially-blesses-parallels-as-a-way-to-run-windows-on-m1-m2-macs/

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Doesn't macOS have its own virtualization framework? It would be great to have win11 arm run without the need for parallels. Maybe a option in macOS 14?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve worked retail and smug retail employees are as dumb as the customers, they just don’t realize it

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
A Mac Mini needs a display, a dedicated desk for it (and the valuable space that occupies), a separate keyboard and mouse, a minimum of 3 cables (1 display cable. 2 power cables), and then lets not forget that any display you buy for less than $400 is going to be garbage-tier compared to what the Macbook air has built in. Moreover, the built-in speaker in a mac mini is awful, so you're going to want external speakers. No webcam either, add that too.

A Macbook air has 0 cables, and needs none of that. You take it out of the box, you turn it on, you use it, and you plug it in once in a while when it needs to charge.

Real head scratcher here as to what I'd recommend the average person buy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

A Mac Mini needs a display, a dedicated desk for it (and the valuable space that occupies), a separate keyboard and mouse, a minimum of 3 cables (1 display cable. 2 power cables), and then lets not forget that any display you buy for less than $400 is going to be garbage-tier compared to what the Macbook air has built in. Moreover, the built-in speaker in a mac mini is awful, so you're going to want external speakers. No webcam either, add that too.

A Macbook air has 0 cables, and needs none of that. You take it out of the box, you turn it on, you use it, and you plug it in once in a while when it needs to charge.

For ergo's a Mac Mini is still technically better, but good points.

However, there's several monitors for $300 (4K LG's) that are still very good display's. And if you have to do a lot of work at a desk, then having a second computer (desktop) or at the very least a desktop like-work station does make sense.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Really satisfied with my regular M2 Mac Mini. Got my new server running off of it on Thunderbolt 3, transferred my Plex library over. It's all great!

Am oddly okay with just reusing my Apple LED Cinema Display. The 2.5K scales nicely, and when I got back and forth between that and my 5K work computer monitor I'm not feeling that big a difference where I am like "this is literally unusable" I don't know... for some reason it feels like it just looks better than my old machine running El Capitan for some reason, but that may just be my brain thinking the new computer is better in that regard.

So I do wish wish that Apple had better parental controls build into the OS. Wanted to set up a user profile for my kid, but disappointed that parental controls are pretty much the screen time controls all carried over from the iPad that they use and associated with her Apple ID. Is there any good third party parental controls where I can really lock stuff down? Basically I'd love to do some stuff where I can completely limit access to external drives, the ability to edit preferences, and hide some apps entirely?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LionArcher posted:

For ergo's a Mac Mini is still technically better, but good points.

However, there's several monitors for $300 (4K LG's) that are still very good display's. And if you have to do a lot of work at a desk, then having a second computer (desktop) or at the very least a desktop like-work station does make sense.

Yeah, if you are actually doing full-time work on the computer, you are going to be tied to a desk, anyway, and want the full setup of ergonomic desk, chair, keyboard, mouse, and monitor mount.

If you use a laptop for all that, you will also need to get a docking station to hook it up to your setup. Depending on the kind of work you do, it may actually be cheaper and more effective to get a desktop for the actual work and a separate, much cheaper laptop to do less-intensive things.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Kibner posted:

Yeah, if you are actually doing full-time work on the computer, you are going to be tied to a desk, anyway, and want the full setup of ergonomic desk, chair, keyboard, mouse, and monitor mount.

If you use a laptop for all that, you will also need to get a docking station to hook it up to your setup. Depending on the kind of work you do, it may actually be cheaper and more effective to get a desktop for the actual work and a separate, much cheaper laptop to do less-intensive things.

Almost everyone doing serious full-time work on a computer is being provided a computer by their employer to perform those tasks, and isn't on the internet asking "should I buy a mac mini in addition to my macbook pro", which is where I entered this conversation.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 17, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Brain Issues posted:

Almost everyone doing serious full-time work on a computer is being provided a computer by their employer to perform those tasks, and isn't on the internet asking "should I buy a mac mini in addition to my macbook pro", which is where I entered this conversation.

Because the only ones doing serious full time work on a computer are corporate types on laptop replacement cycles. Gotcha.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Brain Issues posted:

Wasn't this conversation spurred by someone asking if they should get a Mini instead of just a MBP, which potentially means they would in some cases be using the laptop as a desktop replacement? In that case they may still need all of those things, plus potentially spending hundreds on a decent TB dock to make the docking experience smooth.

Personally I'm extremely happy moving to a Mac Studio (or had it been out at the time, maybe a Mini Pro) + lesser powered Mac laptop rather than using a single 15" MBP as a desktop replacement most of the time (back when a 15" MBP was the only way to get an i7 and dGPU outside of an iMac or an extremely expensive Mac Pro). It works better for my setup and also has me using my laptop more than I did when I had to undock it if I wanted to use it. For me, if I were to only have a laptop, I'd spec a MBP out probably to around $3kish, plus add a $300+ CalDigit dock. But with a Studio as a desktop I'm fine having a significantly less powerful laptop. I'm currently still using my old 15" as my laptop, but at some point will upgrade to a base model M1 14" Pro (either used, refurb or heavily discounted), which will be plenty laptop power for me for a long while. The end result is in my situation there's not even much of a price difference to going base model Studio + older MBP compared to buying a tricked out MBP with a dock. For others that for instance need just as much performance on the go as they need at their desk, it might not make as much sense financially to go the desktop + laptop route (but there are still other factors to consider).

It's obviously ridiculous to call the average consumer that usually purchases a laptop an idiot (as one poster was doing), but it's only a bit less ridiculous to blindly recommend a goon to only have a laptop just because the average consumer usually purchases a laptop. Goons in general, even the less tech focused ones, aren't the average consumer, and we also can easily ask for more information about the person's specific situation to give them a better recommendation on what options make sense for their setup and use cases.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

badjohny posted:

Doesn't macOS have its own virtualization framework? It would be great to have win11 arm run without the need for parallels. Maybe a option in macOS 14?
Framework, yes, but that's all it is, you still need some app/front end to set up and run things. There's a few like UTM and others I forget the name of if you don't want Parallels.

Anyway it sounds like VMware shouldn't be too far behind with more Windows Arm support (and iirc they have a free version these days if you just want something cheap/free):

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2023/02/microsoft-now-officially-supports-windows-on-mac-computers-with-apple-silicon.html

Kibner posted:

This is kinda the logic for my setup, Mac mini + iPad and MBA. Desktop is when I want to sit down and work work on stuff, and often times just leave stuff open on there. For simpler stuff or just loving around I can use the iPad or MBA, and worst case remote into the Mac mini if necessary.

Plus I can stagger purchases and spread out the costs. Mac Studio is probably next when that gets updated, while the MBA still feels ok for what I use it for, other than battery life feeling short at times.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

Framework, yes, but that's all it is, you still need some app/front end to set up and run things. There's a few like UTM and others I forget the name of if you don't want Parallels.

Anyway it sounds like VMware shouldn't be too far behind with more Windows Arm support (and iirc they have a free version these days if you just want something cheap/free):

re: Virtualization.framework, on Apple Silicon both VMWare and Parallels are built on top of it. It's the only game in town now, there is no way to write the lowest level bits of a virtual machine yourself anymore.

(Okay technically it's probably possible if you make users downgrade security to the maximum extent and then patch the kernel or something, but the VMWares and Parallels and UTMs of the world want their poo poo to install without that kind of fuckery, so Virtualization.framework it is.)

Can confirm that the free version of VMWare Fusion is free and it is a virtual machine. Was a pain figuring out how to actually obtain and license it through their website, it's clear the Fusion team is a small cog in a big corporate machine that's far more concerned with enterprise x86 virtualization. I've only tried Linux, not Windows, but it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just want Vagrant to work with something, drat it.