Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tiny Myers posted:

I think SA probably still has a rule against posts that are nothing but a reaction image or I'd be reaching for my best "blank stare of abject confusion" right now

My face when reading this update can best be described as

Nettle Soup posted:

I mean, she didn't put the chip in and Paz saw, it's as simple as that right?

This would actually make sense though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Paz took the chip to the court between page 9 and 10 and she's happy Kat didn't drop dead from whatever they changed

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nettle Soup posted:

I mean, she didn't put the chip in and Paz saw, it's as simple as that right?

No idea how tf they resolve that breach of trust though.

I dunno, I went back and looked real close and if this is the intended takeaway that the audience is supposed to be aware of in this moment, the art REALLY hasn't conveyed that well. To me it sure looks like the thing got installed.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My face when reading this update can best be described as

This is the one I was thinking of.

Re: Annie not putting the chip in, that makes sense, but then that means Annie cut her open and sewed her up for no reason. Or just... pretended to (and had cotton swabs soaked with blood... maybe it's just iodine). And paz instantly knew from glancing at the bandage.

But like, isn't Kat going to instantly know from trying to activate the thing and it not working? She's not going to go "oh shucks it didn't work, thanks for putting that dud in my flesh lol" then not pursue it at all, right?

And why would Annie wordlessly make that choice - to lie to her best friend on such a level - because Paz shed a tear?

It's just such a pointless runaround of "why would you avoid talking about it and instead just pretend to surgically operate on your friend".

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My prediction for the next few pages is that Annie replaced the proper gauze she should have used with a cheap plaster out of the first aid kit, and Kat is now gonna break out in an allergic reaction to the glue, worse than just leaving the incision uncovered would have caused. The comic will end on a final moral to not use cheap plasters.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
reading this comic these days is a never-ending exercise in anticipation for the other shoe to drop, but then it never does

occasionally there is another shoe but they're all left shoes and only invite further confusion

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean, the cutting open makes sense if she changed her mind halfway.

There's a chance Kat may activate it and it'll work anyway even if Annie and Paz didn't put the chip in, and they'll go all shocked pikachu face, because it turns out that all Kat's poo poo works because she believes it will and for no other reason.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What is going ON tonally here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My interpretation is that Annie changed her mind partway through and closed up the incision without inserting the chip. This page shows Paz recognizing that and smiling at Annie conspiratorially.

The next page will probably reveal that she sleight-of-handed the chip once Kat is out of the room.

Also the "I can't feel anything!" line is hilarious given the earlier paraplegia discussion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

There's unfortunately a decent chance that this operation will go exactly as planned with no complications, despite all the ominous buildup.

lol, lmao

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the idea of this being a "Annie decided not to install it" thing, but I'm not holding out hope. Pure parsimony hours here: the simplest explanation is that Paz is just really glad Annie did such a clean, neat job stitching up her girlfriend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my guess is Paz either goes “that’s it, have fun with your machines, I’m done” in the next page or two or she sabotaged the procedure somehow

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
why would sabotaging it matter, she can always restart again if she sees it doesn't work

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Why are both opinionated and outspoken characters, who take Kat’s well-being seriously, now possessed by a spine partially composed of jellyfish?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This page makes no sense.

If Paz is happy that Annie didn’t insert the chip, there is no visual shorthand since the wound is covered up. And even if Annie didn’t, Kat will find out in two seconds when her thing doesn’t work. This will either cause a huge fuss in which case it would have been better to just refuse to begin with. Or Kat requests Annie dig it out to troubleshoot and inevitably asks for it again. Which might be a stalling tactic and the kind of thing a teenager would do to avoid conflict, but again that isn’t made clear on this page.

If Paz is just happy the surgery went well, then the prior page needed to make it more clear that was her attitude towards this. Otherwise the reader tends to assume she’s upset that her girlfriend requested impromptu amateur surgery with an experimental piece of computer hardware. So when she’s happy next page, and with Annie so it’s not just mask to keep Kat happy, we expect something to be up, and the page doesn’t tell us what.

So we have two pages where we somehow learn less about two characters’ emotional states, which is kinda wild given how talented Tom tends to be a communicating purely through visuals. Mayve Monday’s comic will justify this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maybe Paz was crying because she didn't trust Annie to do a good job, but she did great so now she's happy!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

annie swapped out the chip for a raspberry pi media server containing her ps1 iso collection

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

They modified chip they put in her where any time Kat questions her chip not working, they say the magic word (Omega?) and it does one of those dumb hypnosis things, then she walks around and flaps her arms and clucks like a chicken for a bit and forgets all about it again for a while. That's why Annie and Paz went from mutual concern to mutual smiles for a trick well played! Good job team! Not serious, but, whatever, it makes as much sense as anything.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Replacement Paz was just leaking lubricant from a slight malfunction. The flow was rerouted to auxillary pumps and she''s fine now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hey I sure am glad that whatever really mattered to Paz no longer matters to Paz

what great writing

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pants Donkey posted:

Maybe Monday’s comic will justify this.

I feel like I've been saying this to myself for hundreds of Mondays

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

annie swapped out the chip for a raspberry pi media server containing her ps1 iso collection

"I keep trying to access Omega but all I'm getting is this weird rear end game called Baroque. The Court is weird and I'm done investigating them :("

(Annie and Paz high five in the background)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This is all just so tonally bizarre.

What is the viewpoint for this chapter? Are we seeing Kat be too flippant about things from Annie's perspective, but she just goes along with it because of their friendship? Is it Kat's perspective where everything is light and easy until there's a sudden unforeseen side effect? Is all this unspoken tension intentional or just another weird blind alley that's going to be dismissed without being resolved?

God, the last few chapters have given me so little faith in anything remotely interesting happening here.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

FlocksOfMice posted:

What is going ON tonally here.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

GunnerJ posted:

I like the idea of this being a "Annie decided not to install it" thing, but I'm not holding out hope. Pure parsimony hours here: the simplest explanation is that Paz is just really glad Annie did such a clean, neat job stitching up her girlfriend.

This is my guess, but it's conveyed weirdly as hell. Paz is happy it's done well, and Annie is giving a reassuring smile. I dunno lol.

Annie not actually implanting it is a fun idea, but would honestly be a bigger wtf to me, because it would require, as Kat put it, the two people she trusts the most to lie to her. And then Paz and Annie are both happy about it lol. I think they would both still be upset at deceiving Kat.

Jfc if they are just happy that it was implanted without a hitch, even though it's not activated yet. And that's it. That can't be it 😂

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
what makes the most sense to me is that they're both putting on a brave face for Kat's sake, or somehow taking this as an opportunity to bond/make peace

but I have the feeling this is much dumber than that

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

YaketySass posted:

what makes the most sense to me is that they're both putting on a brave face for Kat's sake, or somehow taking this as an opportunity to bond/make peace

but I have the feeling this is much dumber than that

This is my take on it. Paz is shutting down her feelings because she knows Kat isn't going to be talked out of this. Annie catching her crying seemed candid.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Annie actually installed a small slice of onion. Paz's reaction was just naturally watery eyes from the onion. Annie is made of fire so all she can smell is delicious fried onion rings. The big reveal at the end of the chapter will be that Kat lost her sense of smell years ago.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
At this point my expectations are so low that I actually think Paz was frowning/crying because she was worried the surgery would physically harm Kat and she smiled because it went well. I think all the ominous lighting was to capture the reference to the tattoo flashback and that's literally it. The comic has largely abandoned subtext.

Also, like, if I asked my best friend and partner to perform a minor surgery on me, and they agreed to and cut me open but then didn't do the thing I asked them to and lied and told me they did because they had concerns that they did not feel capable of speaking up about, they wouldn't be my best friend and partner anymore.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

worm girl posted:

At this point my expectations are so low that I actually think Paz was frowning/crying because she was worried the surgery would physically harm Kat and she smiled because it went well. I think all the ominous lighting was to capture the reference to the tattoo flashback and that's literally it. The comic has largely abandoned subtext.

if you end up being right, Jesus Christ that's bad

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When this kind of tone deafness and obtuse lack of subtext showed up in an episode of Star Trek TNG or Stargate SG1, it was a dead giveaway that they were stuck in some kind of virtual reality or holodeck program

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

When this kind of tone deafness and obtuse lack of subtext showed up in an episode of Star Trek TNG or Stargate SG1, it was a dead giveaway that they were stuck in some kind of virtual reality or holodeck program
... the tone of the opening page of this chapter made me think, "is Doctor Disaster coming back?"

Doctor Disaster hasn't yet appeared in the modern comic to be made worse. He's due.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Pretty sure Paz is gonna do something on Monday, given the last couple panels.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Or Monday is another inexplicable time skip and a cut to Aata and Shell having more drinks.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

BobTheJanitor posted:

Or Monday is another inexplicable time skip and a cut to Aata and Shell having more drinks.

Cut to Loup and Lana blushing and snuggling.

"Gee, Loup, I can't believe we... we.... kissed again, this time with a little tongue!!!!"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Inb4 NTR

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

YaketySass posted:

what makes the most sense to me is that they're both putting on a brave face for Kat's sake

Even this doesn't make sense because Annie and Paz are smiling to each other literally behind Kat's back. Kat has no way of knowing they're doing that, so it can't really be for her sake.

Re: Annie not performing the surgery properly, I think that'd be the "best" explanation even though it's underhanded and mean. Even then, I think it'd be more interesting if the comic SHOWED her doing that to build tension over whether or not Kat would find out. Show the bomb under the table as they say.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Even this doesn't make sense because Annie and Paz are smiling to each other literally behind Kat's back. Kat has no way of knowing they're doing that, so it can't really be for her sake.

Re: Annie not performing the surgery properly, I think that'd be the "best" explanation even though it's underhanded and mean. Even then, I think it'd be more interesting if the comic SHOWED her doing that to build tension over whether or not Kat would find out. Show the bomb under the table as they say.

I agree. If something underhanded is going on here, it would be much more interesting if we saw it as it happened. Rather than having it be revealed in yet another flashback or speech or whatever after the fact.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, maybe Monday's strip will be the undead robots kicking down the front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I can't remember the last time I posted in this thread. I think I only posted a few times? And somebody gifted me this avatar for it.

What's been happening so far?