Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Troy Queef posted:

Said it before and I’ll say it again: Vox quit caring about SB Nation, the site that birthed it, the second it became a go-to read for Beltway people who make decisions in the DNC.

I guess that's what happens when you don't Stick to Sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t know about the soccer pages but a lot of the hockey sites were basically zombies, one content person and maybe like 5-10 active users.

SBNation did it to themselves though, if you demand an insane content schedule while not paying people you’re gonna lose all your talent and then the readers will leave too, this has been a long time coming as sad as it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pension Plan Puppets and BSH were great but yeah a lot of the others were rooouuugh

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

Pension Plan Puppets and BSH were great but yeah a lot of the others were rooouuugh

Even PPP is a shadow of what it used to be, comments are a fraction of what they were and fan-generated posts are nonexistent when they used to be a big way that people got their start writing.

Also doesn’t help that there’s 30,000 pixels of lovely jumpy ads between the article and the comments and you have to hope the page doesn’t hard refresh to make you scroll through it all again for phantom views.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1616542182277632000

Nanni gone, that's the last of the EDSBS crew. I haven't seen anything from them, did Bois and the Secret Base crew survive this round?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1616542182277632000

Nanni gone, that's the last of the EDSBS crew. I haven't seen anything from them, did Bois and the Secret Base crew survive this round?

Bois is, from what I’ve heard, never going to get fired because he’s very close with a lot of the founders/execs going all the way back to when he was first hired.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Even PPP is a shadow of what it used to be, comments are a fraction of what they were and fan-generated posts are nonexistent when they used to be a big way that people got their start writing.

Also doesn’t help that there’s 30,000 pixels of lovely jumpy ads between the article and the comments and you have to hope the page doesn’t hard refresh to make you scroll through it all again for phantom views.

This seems to be an issue with anything fan based on the internet

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

Bois is, from what I’ve heard, never going to get fired because he’s very close with a lot of the founders/execs going all the way back to when he was first hired.

Not to mention that Secret Base/Jon Bois docs are the only thing that seem to resonate from SB Nation anymore

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I remember when you could go to SB Nation's front page on a given day and find a bunch of stuff/writers you'd actually want to read.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Same. Most of the team blogs were good too.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

zakharov posted:

Same. Most of the team blogs were good too.

Speaking of which, Vox is cutting the Pacers blog and losing a great basketball writer:

https://twitter.com/C2_Cooper/status/1618609161096560641

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Booooo!!!

Caitlin is one of the best basketball writers of the last 10 years.

I say boooo!!!!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bomani Jones went on Chapo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fate Accomplice posted:

Bomani Jones went on Chapo
and it was great

It's basically just an interview with Will though, he seems to be the one who does all of the 'serious' interviews

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1625905297511567365

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/McCannSportsLaw/status/1625990303487238147

gently caress yes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Get hosed ncaa

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The court ordered discovery? This is either going to get settled quickly or we'll see a lot of damning NCAA emails.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Note that this is the appeal of the rejection of the NCAA's motion to dismiss from 2 years ago in this case. When this appeal is rejected, it's just going to go back to pretrial discovery.

It's just going to keep on going until the heat death of the universe.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The NCAA is going to fight this to the death but the fact that they're repeatedly getting their asses handed to them in court makes me happy, at least. Even stodgy old judges are like look you're clearly employing these people

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Stodgy old judges went to d3 or ivy league schools 40 years ago. They could give 2 shits about college sports. People who aren't invested in the lie can see that the players are employees really quickly.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The X-man cometh posted:

Stodgy old judges went to d3 or ivy league schools 40 years ago. They could give 2 shits about college sports. People who aren't invested in the lie can see that the players are employees really quickly.

i think you'd be more likely to have a judge invested in the spirit of amateur athletics if they went somewhere like michigan or uva than if they went somewhere like cornell or harvard

apparent agency over employees is a concept that you learn your first week of torts for liability purposes and that's a first year class

the bigger problem is that the student-athlete is (well, was) an entrenched part of society and most judges are loathe to overturn that from the bench, even if it's a huge lie

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

The NCAA is going to fight this to the death but the fact that they're repeatedly getting their asses handed to them in court makes me happy, at least. Even stodgy old judges are like look you're clearly employing these people

Yeah - nobody quoting the Tweet or article noted this, but another article stated one of the judges demanded to know from the NCAA lawyers how/why the "Student-Athletes" shouldn't be considered employees under federal law, because to them what they did looked a lot like it fit the definition of employment.

It was not exactly a good day in court for the NCAA.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 18, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's sad how long college athletes had to deal with not having NIL rights and also amateurism as a concept considering they folded like wet toilet paper once they received a serious court challenge

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's sad how long college athletes had to deal with not having NIL rights and also amateurism as a concept considering they folded like wet toilet paper once they received a serious court challenge
I think it was something that couldn't happen until the 21st century. It really hasn't been until fairly recently that NCAA sports has become "big money" in the way we think of professional sports, and conferences didn't have the kind of individual power they do now, nor were they as big & entrenched. Schools like Florida State, Miami, & Penn State were still independents...what...only 30-35 years ago?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea 20-25 years ago you had P5 schools (it wasn’t called P5 then though) who wouldn’t have every football game on TV, and even if they were on TV, they might get some local cable company that covered only a section of the state. The money for college sports has absolutely blown up in the last 15 years. Plus the consolidation of the conferences, and them starting their own networks makes it harder to argue they even care about the academic portion of this at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea 20-25 years ago you had P5 schools (it wasn’t called P5 then though) who wouldn’t have every football game on TV, and even if they were on TV, they might get some local cable company that covered only a section of the state. The money for college sports has absolutely blown up in the last 15 years. Plus the consolidation of the conferences, and them starting their own networks makes it harder to argue they even care about the academic portion of this at all.
I think it would be a pretty good bet that if you plotted college sports vs. pro sports leagues in terms of percentage revenue gains during the 21st Century on a graph, the NCAA would have more exponential growth anyone else, including European football.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 18, 2023

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Bring this back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8t34l5rC_U

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bruce Arians coached Temple.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Rockwell International with the exclusive sponsorship, nice

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

loving Barstool

https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/1628201456393134080

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Genuine question: is there something notable about that I’m missing

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Genuine question: is there something notable about that I’m missing

I like Titus's stuff, I don't like Barstool Sports / Dave Portnoy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oh, I just assumed he was already working there

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1628616599946276864?s=46&t=mkaf9ss2RzAFJ3JXn1gyQw

If you don’t know what the “controversy” is, it’s in the next tweet.

I feel like tweets like that should result in them never being allowed to write again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Hasn't O'Connor caught flak for something recently that was incredibly stupid/tasteless?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Nothing that approaches that tweet but:

He's a big Musk fanboy.

Balling during Ramadan isn't hard cause he's fasted before.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nybble posted:

https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1628616599946276864?s=46&t=mkaf9ss2RzAFJ3JXn1gyQw

If you don’t know what the “controversy” is, it’s in the next tweet.

I feel like tweets like that should result in them never being allowed to write again.

Another Pierre Pierce situation?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I honestly don't remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJUf3noWjQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is going to sound weird, but going back to watch Coach shows a hugely different version of college football.

Like there's a whole episode about them getting their first nationally televised game. Not just that season. Ever. They get shelled by Penn State.