Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm loving terrified of moving my Detolf in June

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Could you loosen it up and re tighten it? I don't have one of those cases so I don't know how it's held together but it's possible the way the glass is being held just got tweaked so it's under constant pressure.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

War and Pieces posted:

I'm loving terrified of moving my Detolf in June

Does yours have the plastic runners on the bottom of the side panels and the extra piece of plastic at the top of the back panel? Might be more durable. I'd still suggest dismantling it entirely and transporting it flat.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Harlot's Den Kickstarter (only slightly NSFW) this is actually quite a tame selection of lovingly sculpted busty ladies, but is mostly worth checking out for the patrons.

I am unreasonably angry at the women and furniture being 19th century and all the men being GoT faux-medieval.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

You can see that my batch was manufactured in August of 2020. If anyone bought a Detolf before that, they definitely don't have any of the design improvements. There's also a three year window between when I bought this one and when I bought the new one, so I'm not sure when the changes were introduced.

You can also see that one foot was shredded, likely from sliding the cabinet around during the move and maintenance. I'm sure that didn't help things either. One thing I noticed is that the bolts that go at the top of the metal frames have a pretty tight fight to the wooden cap, and given that they're tiered, they easily get snagged. If you don't notice this and were going to town on tightening it, it would be easy to put way too much force on one side or corner. As a goon above said, it's possible that it was jostled in the move and was never set right.

I've moved the surviving Detolf outside. It can be a sports ball storage cabinet now. If it shatters, it's at least outside. I have replaced the broken and banished Detolfs with a new style of display cabinet entirely.

This ultimately gives me more space. The remaining Detolf is the one I bought two days ago to replace the first one that exploded. The top fitting is as loose as I feel comfortable with and I have no plans to move it around.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're IKEA Detolfs. We moved in December, but it was literally across the street. I rolled them from one house to the other using one of these.

I'm guessing they were put under too much strain during that move and here we are now.

Additionally, the landlord had scheduled some maintenance over the week we spent moving our stuff across the street, so these cabinets were also moved around quite a few times by the maintenance team as they worked on different areas of the room they were in. If rolling them at an angle didn't strain the glass, then certainly being pushed around a room several times did, or just exacerbated it.

It doesn't really matter because broken cabinets are broken cabinets. There were three originally, and two have popped, so I'm thinking I should disassemble the third as a precaution and just put the models into storage while I think of another solution for displaying them.

I did replace the one that broke last week and I noticed that IKEA has made a few modifications to the design, so maybe this was a known problem that's been addressed? The side panels now have plastic runners on the bottom edges (maybe the top too, but I can't remember) to avoid damaging them when you slot them into the base. The back panel also has a plastic piece that secures it to the metal frame at the top.

As they're just panes of glass if you wanted to keep the frame you could replace them with sheets of cut polycarbonate or acrylic. They would be significantly tougher.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Those Ikea shells look really cool, but all I can think about is how much wasted space there is by there being only a handful of shelves

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those Ikea shells look really cool, but all I can think about is how much wasted space there is by there being only a handful of shelves

detolf is popular enough that there's basically any mod you can imagine on ebay

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The wood one I bought today is also from IKEA and the shelves are movable, so all I would need are pegs and board and I could add more.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought extra acrylic shelfs off of a guy on Etsy for really cheap and basically have a triple shelved custom detolf

The nice thing about Ikea is it's really popular so these hacks are a dime a dozen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Atlas Hugged posted:

The wood one I bought today is also from IKEA and the shelves are movable, so all I would need are pegs and board and I could add more.

That's my plan. I hate having too much extra space above display stuff if I can use it for more storage lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What I've always liked about the Detolfs is that they have glass panels on the side as well. I wish they made a cheaper/more plain version of the Lommarp

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
They're always out of stock around here but I managed to get a couple of Milsbo, they hold about twice as much as a detolf each.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The glass panels also aren't loadbearing so they seem more durable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sure everyone has seen this at this point, but I just...

This is like trying to play the guitar after watching Tim Henson do some sick riff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Or you can have some self esteem and look at that then think "hmm, time to practice glazing"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's a lot of airbrushing going on there too.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also it doesn’t matter how good you get someone is going to be better than you.

Having awesome looking minis on your shelf is awesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought flameon didn't use airbrushes? I've just seen their YouTube stuff and it's all glazing/layering

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I thought flameon didn't use airbrushes? I've just seen their YouTube stuff and it's all glazing/layering

I'm just guessing tbh, if it's all glazes I'm even more impressed.

So you'd have to practice that too? idk what you want from me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The only painter you should ever be comparing yourself to is your past self.
That's why you should save your first model and look back on it every once in awhile to remind yourself how far you've gotten.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm just guessing tbh, if it's all glazes I'm even more impressed.

So you'd have to practice that too? idk what you want from me.

Oh, I read that as a reason to not be uninspired and couldn't figure out what you were going for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Or you can have some self esteem

Wrong hobby.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

it's important to remember your insecurities are not valid.

it's just volume, break down what you are actually seeing instead of what you imagine the process being.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

AndyElusive posted:

Wrong hobby.

Yeah dude have you ever been to a hobby store on game day?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

It’s cheating

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It’s cheating

We all know real painters don't use any tools. Buy brushes? Cheating, get some hairs and a stick and make it yourself. Pre-mixed paints? Cheating, you have to crush the pigments yourself.

The whole "if you use an airbrush at any step it's cheating and not really painting" is so old and tired.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Often these guys are pros, or influencers, so literally they just spend their time painting and get paid for it. That's what I tell myself at least.

One of my favorite things about historical games is that 95% of people playing are not golden daemon painters. You show up at the game and people have done their best but they are enthusiastic about the time period, not purity seals or skull icons.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
airbrushes are cheating because i dont have one

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Good to see another real painter in here

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Bucnasti posted:

The only painter you should ever be comparing yourself to is your past self.
That's why you should save your first model and look back on it every once in awhile to remind yourself how far you've gotten.

Problem: I haven't painted a miniature for about eleven years when I burned out of 40k first time, and when I finish converting and assembling stuff and pick up a brush I'm probably going to have regressed and forgotten how to paint.

I'm a much better converter than I was back then though!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Problem: I haven't painted a miniature for about eleven years when I burned out of 40k first time, and when I finish converting and assembling stuff and pick up a brush I'm probably going to have regressed and forgotten how to paint.

Just tell yourself that they're weird little guys and they're not gonna be perfect. Also know when to say "gently caress it, they're done".
Personally I can only paint in batches of four, any more than that and I burn out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don't really get the guys who blast out minis in batches of dozens. At that point it's a fuckin chore, not a hobby.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I'm in a similar situation and the answer is buy some contrast paints, watch some tutorials and just start practising on some troops or other non-centrepiece models.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebalebadingdong posted:

They're great, especially for bigger scale models, terrain, or hosing primer on a bunch of poo poo at once. Just the basic Master setup that half the people in the scale model thread at least started on will basically pay for itself in more efficient paint usage and not shelling out for spray cans.

Cut a cardboard box in half diagonally for a spray booth, thin the paint to the consistency of skim milk, set the pressure regulator to like 12-18 PSI, and you're good to go. Practice on a few plastic spoons then go hog wild.

Or don't if it's not your thing. The only wrong way to do this hobby is not having fun. Or making titty Nazis, that's wrong, too.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
excuse me? having fun is also cheating

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Not if you're smug about it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
that's true actually hadn't considered that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Don't really get the guys who blast out minis in batches of dozens. At that point it's a fuckin chore, not a hobby.

It's easy to do with contrasts.

I've been thinking now about how each mini is really me telling future me, you need to spend at least 1h painting this one mini before it has enough of a foundation that I'm satisfied with and can work from there. Generally though, what it really means is a box of eevn five minis is about 2? Hours of assembly and construction depending on how old the plastic is, more if older. Then, it's at least 25 hours of painting, which... Is quite a lot to me to think about.

I feel like I am finding out I'm not really excited about the heavy metal style, especially when it comes to highlights on everything, it gets tedious. My best dopamine is provided when I just Yolo the paint job