Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, you basically tell the game which version specifically to run when setting it up. Per game.

I’ve seen people on videos with many versions installed but I only have a couple. Should I install all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does it remember it even if you've uninstalled and then reinstalled?
I believe it keeps the prefixes installed and will just re-use them the next time you install the game, but it wouldn't hurt to check and make sure.

hadji murad posted:

I’ve seen people on videos with many versions installed but I only have a couple. Should I install all of them?
There's no real benefit to installing Proton versions you're not using AFAIK, just install what you need to get the game running correctly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Are there any games/genres where the Steam Deck's screen size feels too restricting? I'm thinking about CRPGs with lots of text and small icons, or a game like Prey where you're looking for subtle environmental details in dark areas.

I know there's a magnifier feature, but I'm curious if people who have been using the Deck for a while find themselves steering away from certain games specifically because of the screen size.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a really great game. It has some text that is so small I think it might be intentionally cruel. If you enable FSR those text boxes are actually unreadable.
I still recommend it to people with the caveat that they get familiar with their Steam Deck or Switch's screen zoom function.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I’m never going to use a magnifier to play a game. That’s a crazy thing to have to do regularly.

Text scaling is often bad on older games even on desktop computers. Anno 2070 is basically unplayable for me on my 27” 1440p monitor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a really great game. It has some text that is so small I think it might be intentionally cruel. If you enable FSR those text boxes are actually unreadable.

Sugiyama’s revenge.

(Just gonna blame him for any flaws with the franchise)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Honestly I would suggest using a real-life magnifying glass for those text boxes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elementary, my dear Proton

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Does it remember it even if you've uninstalled and then reinstalled?
It does.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have so many versions of proton installed and I have no idea what the differences are, or even what proton is or does. But I don’t care as long as I can play games.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Same. I just see that queuing up a game download occasionally prompts a new Proton version or some other background stuff and the "other" keeps filling up in my storage, but even on a 64GB + Micro SD setup, I don't feel I really need to worry or engage with any of that stuff any further.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There isn't that many versions of Proton, the main ones are:
  • Proton GE: This is the community build that contains in-progress patches, things from upstream, and media codecs that Valve can't officially ship due to IP issues.
  • Proton Experimental: Valve's in-progress branch that often contains hotfixes for new releases.
  • Proton 7.0-x: The current stable branch, just got updated to 7.0-6 from last week. This is what most games will use by default and what you generally want to use (if not Proton GE) when installing non-Steam games.
  • Proton 6.3-8 (and older): Predates the launch of the Deck. Only used for a handful of titles that might still have compatibility issues with newer versions.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah, and that's kinda what I meant too by not needing to engage with it. Unless Protondb specifically advises it or I'm switching to Luxtorpeda (which by the way is loving incredible for supporting certain older games on Deck), you don't really need to think about it at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How is divinity original sin 2 on the deck? That game has been on my radar for a long time. Worried about rpgs on a small screen

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ProtonUp-Qt lets you granually install any of dozens of versions of Proton. But if you're doing that you're probably either following a guide or desperate.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

How is divinity original sin 2 on the deck? That game has been on my radar for a long time. Worried about rpgs on a small screen

It’s great

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks fam

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I haven't gotten to the blackpits fight, but it's great. this is my favorite game and it's a must-play for everyone. you'll say load times are a little long but that's just the game. you only load once.

to be a Great Deck Game, a game must accept simultaneous gamepad and keyboard input, and Divinity2 fails here because they completely redesigned the UI so you need to pick keyboard or controller when launching the game. but the design for controller is good.

Can't get DivinityOS1 to launch here, unfortunately, tho i haven't done more than change proton versions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone looking to run Wild Hearts on the Deck just wait, even at the lowest settings it's a slide show.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Isn't PC performance an absolute shitshow anyway?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

yeah it doesn't run well on beefy computers, I wouldn't expect it to run on a handheld for a long while

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welp, did it, ordered a 64GB.

Now the waiting begins

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mescal posted:

I haven't gotten to the blackpits fight, but it's great. this is my favorite game and it's a must-play for everyone. you'll say load times are a little long but that's just the game. you only load once.

to be a Great Deck Game, a game must accept simultaneous gamepad and keyboard input, and Divinity2 fails here because they completely redesigned the UI so you need to pick keyboard or controller when launching the game. but the design for controller is good.

Can't get DivinityOS1 to launch here, unfortunately, tho i haven't done more than change proton versions.

As someone who hasn't played any of the divinity series, no issues starting with this one? Have been binging From Software games since I started DS1 last year and looking for something different before tackling the PS-only versions of the games (and secretly hoping that a PC release of BB or DeS comes out in the interim, since I don't own a PS)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I’m never going to use a magnifier to play a game. That’s a crazy thing to have to do regularly.

Text scaling is often bad on older games even on desktop computers. Anno 2070 is basically unplayable for me on my 27” 1440p monitor.

I did that for death stranding on ps4 because at 10' away, even with glasses, on a 58" TV, the text was unreadable (for some text, not subtitles)

So I used sony's magnifying feature and it was a godsend. I sat on the floor sometimes and cranked my neck up when I didn't want to bother with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Welp, did it, ordered a 64GB.

Now the waiting begins

I hope you like Vampire Survivors

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
VS runs like crap on my new 64 Deck :( Is there a configuration that helps? I'm using the "Reduce GPU Lag" config but I'm in the mid-teens within a few minutes and single digits towards the end of a run.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

VS runs like crap on my new 64 Deck :( Is there a configuration that helps? I'm using the "Reduce GPU Lag" config but I'm in the mid-teens within a few minutes and single digits towards the end of a run.

That actually makes it run worse (it’s meant for REALLY OLD pcs). Just use the regular launch and yeah it’ll struggle a bit once you get a run going.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did that for death stranding on ps4 because at 10' away, even with glasses, on a 58" TV, the text was unreadable (for some text, not subtitles)

So I used sony's magnifying feature and it was a godsend. I sat on the floor sometimes and cranked my neck up when I didn't want to bother with it.

There’s a few games I’ve done that with. Unfortunately the Windows native magnifier doesn’t play nice with (at least some) games

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thread title, plz.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thread title, plz.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
trying to debug an issue I'm having with Steam Streaming from my gaming PC to Deck.

I've been using my SD mostly to play undemanding indie games or stream intensive games from my PS5. I've used Moonlight to stream PC to SD and that's been pretty easy, too. But with moonlight potentially dying due to NVidia giving up on gamestream, I'm curious about the built-in Steam Streaming features.

So I bought Midnight Suns. Performance of the game running directly on the SD is OK, but the fan noise bugs me and the battery drain is intense. Selecting the 'stream' option instead of 'play' let's me stream from my PC. I put the resolution at 1080p so that it'd look extra nice downscaled to 720p on the deck. My PC runs this game locked at 60fps on max settings @ 1080p, and when I stream to my deck I get 60fps as well. It's utterly fantastic!

for about 10 minutes. Then for seemingly no reason at all, the fps on the Deck goes down a ton to like <20fps. If I walk into my room where my PC is running the game, I can see it's still displaying on my monitor at 60fps. Something is loving up the connection and I can't figure out what. This doesn't happen when I use moonlight or chiaki, so I don't think it's my wifi signal.

Thoughts?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's the same issue I had with the steam link or steam link software. I upgraded my router and the problem went away. I think it's the router, op

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think the game console guys are in big trouble if my personal experience is some indicator of a greater trend. I've basically stopped buying stuff for my Playstation because having it on PC or Steam Deck or both is so nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think the game console guys are in big trouble if my personal experience is some indicator of a greater trend. I've basically stopped buying stuff for my Playstation because having it on PC or Steam Deck or both is so nice.

PC gaming will never overtake consoles just because PC gaming always has the sword of Damocles that is weird issues hanging over it. Some people just want to play their games without thinking about whether or not Ubisoft broke something with their last client update.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PC gaming has more of a chance now that the console platform holders let game publishers ruin their games at will.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm the kind of weird nerd who on hearing "it's really good but sometimes you want to tinker with stuff to make it better, but it's a very open system so you have the tools to do that" said :sickos: but most people aren't like that, and that's fine.

I have gone from being pretty platform agnostic for my PC game purchases to being ride or die for Steam though. I even let my gamepass sub expire!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

njsykora posted:

PC gaming will never overtake consoles just because PC gaming always has the sword of Damocles that is weird issues hanging over it. Some people just want to play their games without thinking about whether or not Ubisoft broke something with their last client update.

Oh I'm not saying they'll die or anything, just that the Steam Wombo Combo will take a big bite (byte) out of their sales.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Looks like iFixit has SSD upgrade kits that go all the way to 2TB now:
https://www.ifixit.com/products/micron-2400-nvme-pcie-gen4-2230-ssd

AND Valve is finally rolling out local game transfers in the beta branch which whips rear end
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/46BD-6BA8-B012-CE43

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Long shot, but I was getting the same thing and the only way it cleared up for me was selecting to use the game profile or the general one in the Quick Settings menu off and on. After that it'd run smooth as poo poo until it happened in 10 minutes again.

It's what made me move to Moonlight and I don't want to lose it :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I personally feel like switch and PC are the one true way.

That might just be because I’m not really interested in any PlayStation exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally feel like switch and PC are the one true way.

That might just be because I’m not really interested in any PlayStation exclusives.

PC + Switch yeah by far