Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The strategy genre just has so many good (and replayable) titles that it's just not worth it to play a mediocre one for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

What's the leather supposed to do exactly when layered on top of plate armor?
Also we're still doing boob armor in TYOOL 2023?

That doesn’t look like boob armor, that just looks like armor made to fit women who often have breasts

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

What's the leather supposed to do exactly when layered on top of plate armor?
Also we're still doing boob armor in TYOOL 2023?
I thought "boob armor" means metal bikini armor that doesn't protect anything. That looks like pretty normal armor to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You wouldn’t design armor for protection with that sort of convex design, or anything that could possibly direct weapons inward to all your vital organs. A functional chestpiece for men or women would be rounded away from your center of mass. None of this matters because it’s a video game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This Workers & Resources situation sucks. The lesson for developers seems to be to never ever acknowledge the contributions of their community. And maybe plaster EULAs full of "we own everything that comes out of you interacting with this software in perpetuity forever", if that even holds up in court.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GhostDog posted:

This Workers & Resources situation sucks. The lesson for developers seems to be to never ever acknowledge the contributions of their community. And maybe plaster EULAs full of "we own everything that comes out of you interacting with this software in perpetuity forever", if that even holds up in court.

Yeah unfortunately that’s why the big studios put that stuff in their EULAs. It’s not just Blizzard trying to avoid another Dota 2 embarrassment.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

You wouldn’t design armor for protection with that sort of convex design, or anything that could possibly direct weapons inward to all your vital organs. A functional chestpiece for men or women would be rounded away from your center of mass. None of this matters because it’s a video game.
Yeah who would ever design armor that was optimized for anything other than mathematical precision

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I always ask for the outtie armor

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GhostDog posted:

I mean would that really have saved them? Seems like the guy has no legal standing at all, he's just abusing several automated systems to get the game taken down for now, which like why would some extra stuff in the eula stop that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That doesn’t look like boob armor, that just looks like armor made to fit women who often have breasts

armor for people with breasts should look more like this. if it's contoured to each individual breast then the back of the "valley" in the middle is going to crush your sternum if you get hit hard

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Volte posted:

Yeah who would ever design armor that was optimized for anything other than mathematical precision

This is a persuasive argument if the armor for males in the game being discussed looks like this. If only women have armor that emphasizes their bodies, then women are being singled out and it should be obvious why that's a problem.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Man, for $27 The Last Starship is super rough. It's barely a game, really. It's been released in early access but there are some tech demos that are more feature complete than this. I really like Introversion Software but they'd have to either work extremely fast or spend a few years developing this to carve anything worthwhile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LLSix posted:

This is a persuasive argument if the armor for males in the game being discussed looks like this. If only women have armor that emphasizes their bodies, then women are being singled out and it should be obvious why that's a problem.

gonna need to pull in the intersectionality experts to make a decision on this one

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hes just big adamantium boned

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm OK with the armor being discussed here because it doesn't look like it was designed to appeal to horny d&d goons. Don't care about the historical verisimilitude, its just offputting when its clear that the designers are really into ladies in high heels and chainmail or wahtevs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even ignoring the gendered issues, having your character wear plate armor designed in a way that redirects potential weapon attacks directly into the solar plexus just demonstrates the designer's ineptitude.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tiny Timbs posted:

gonna need to pull in the intersectionality experts to make a decision on this one

Consider me persuaded.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Why even wear armor? Just don't get hit, dummy

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Jack Trades posted:

Even ignoring the gendered issues, having your character wear plate armor designed in a way that redirects potential weapon attacks directly into the solar plexus just demonstrates the designer's ineptitude.

In fairness, X-Com has has a had a lot of dumb looking armor and insanely stupid clothing choices for a while.

I'm more offended by the Suns being another deckbuilding game to throw on the pile. It seems like that's been the trend for every less than Triple A studio for a while now, and I get why. I just can't wait for developers to get around to some other trend.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Purely practical armor looks like dogshit, regardless of gender. Ain't no one actually wants to see that outside of VERY simmy games.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah unfortunately that’s why the big studios put that stuff in their EULAs. It’s not just Blizzard trying to avoid another Dota 2 embarrassment.

Don’t send your baller-rear end story ideas to Stephen King.

Edit:
To be clear—-not because he’ll steal it, it was a poo poo idea to start with, any email longer than “loved/hated X” will never land on his screen, and he has better ideas that he will expand/trash on his own time anyway.

Goddamn the whole “orignal idea DO NOT STEEL” from fan fiction needs to be squashed and squashed hard. If your idea was so great/unique you’d be motivated to develop it on your own…fuckin’”ideas man” syndrome is how we end up with poo poo games and cryptocurrency.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 17, 2023

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Propaganda Hour posted:

Why even wear armor? Just don't get hit, dummy

yep

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I finished steamworld heist. Great game. Onto persona 4 I think

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
'https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1626582096440598533?s=20
https://twitter.com/gsdeangelis/status/1612508799247474694?s=20
:xcom:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I consider myself pretty good at these kind of games but beating the first boss in Returnal was quite the push! I just barely squeaked by on my winning attempt. I was surprised to see that now I can skip him and don't have to beat him again to get to the second zone -- but are there more unlocks I can get from the data cube machine thing in his boss room? I've seen at least 2 different ones on that floor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pesty13480 posted:

In fairness, X-Com has has a had a lot of dumb looking armor and insanely stupid clothing choices for a while.

IIRC all the actual armor in both XCOM games looks perfectly reasonable.

Clothing choices are very wacky yes, but if you're going to eat plasma to the chest without armor then it really doesn't matter what you wear.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

exquisite tea posted:

That's why this armor is pure performance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Game's released, time to all get fired

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you're going to make impractical armour for the purposes of aesthetics, then at least have the decency to go balls-out with it. :colbert:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Perestroika posted:

If you're going to make impractical armour for the purposes of aesthetics, then at least have the decency to go balls-out with it. :colbert:

This isn't my first Warhams 40K rodeo, but two questions:

1) What's with the two rats getting out of dodge in the bottom right?
2) What's with the goddamn War Bat??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fwoderwick posted:

2) What's with the goddamn War Bat??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'm the tiny Parental Advisory in the bottom left

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do Sisters of Battle practice footbinding or what?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I prefer the Warhams version. :colbert:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jack Trades posted:

Do Sisters of Battle practice footbinding or what?

I would fit the setting, I believe.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tiny Timbs posted:

The guy who heals from all wounds doesn’t need armor :colbert:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Terminally Bored posted:

Man, for $27 The Last Starship is super rough. It's barely a game, really. It's been released in early access but there are some tech demos that are more feature complete than this. I really like Introversion Software but they'd have to either work extremely fast or spend a few years developing this to carve anything worthwhile.

Yeah. There really isn't anything there that justifies the price right now. They have a very strong record so I'm optimistic, but I would not encourage anyone to buy the game at this point. It's maybe 2 hours of content, the UI is pretty rough and unfinished, and the core systems seem to be missing a lot of foundational game design to build much on top of.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Soul Glo posted:

The guy who heals from all wounds doesn’t need armor :colbert:
His armor is literally his skeleton, or rather, his flesh is his skeleton's armor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Perestroika posted:

40k rocks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Fwoderwick posted:

1) What's with the two rats getting out of dodge in the bottom right?

The rats are the most sane and reasonable entities on that planet. They are getting the gently caress out of dodge because that is the only rational response to any event happening around you in 40k.