Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Fwiw cinquedea is the best dagger in the game.

That you get just before chapter 26.

And it's only better than silver 5 when forged to+3.

Which is ludicrously expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The royal knight outfit is a good one! Jean is one of my better looking units.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair, silver +5 is also ludicrously expensive

In fact I think Cinquedea +3 uses fewer total materials than Silver +5, though again, you get it literally right before the final map

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022
I have discovered on maddening enemy units get the good skills.

Like swordmaster deathblow

Or axe paladin swordbreaker

Or swift stance griffon knights.

Thank GOD berserkers dont come with passive crit.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m still getting a lot of mileage out of my 3 Wolf Knights. Forged Daggers are absurdly good and the mobility they have alongside Canter has been really great.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm definitely looking forward to my random character+class run. We'll see if there are any tremendous gems out there, and we'll also see what actually dedicating an emblem to a unit is like.

Will the game tell me when I am on the final map? Because I quite like the idea of very suddenly blowing all of my cash and bond XP at once and instantly turning whoever I use in my final party into a group of supermen, compared to what I have been dealing with until that point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to my random character+class run. We'll see if there are any tremendous gems out there, and we'll also see what actually dedicating an emblem to a unit is like.

Will the game tell me when I am on the final map? Because I quite like the idea of very suddenly blowing all of my cash and bond XP at once and instantly turning whoever I use in my final party into a group of supermen, compared to what I have been dealing with until that point.

the final chapter has a big flashing "this is the final chapter prepare your anus" sign on it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You'll know it's the final map, because when you return to the level select map the game will say, "gently caress you, go reload the somniel because the last mission launches from there"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure the menu option to access the final map is literally "Go to Final Battle" or something like that, there's no ambiguity in the least

You can also keep playing after the final battle. It just puts you back before the final map but with all the EXP you gained during the final map, and then you can go do skirmishes or trials or any divine paralogues you haven't done as postgame if you want.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
All of this pleases me. Thank you, friends, for the responses.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any reason to run Fogado cupido with the radiant bow instead of say bow knight or warrior Anna?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Any reason to run Fogado cupido with the radiant bow instead of say bow knight or warrior Anna?

You have to baby Anna through her godawful Axe baby phase.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Avalerion posted:

1. You like Fogado
2. You don't like Anna

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also warrior anna is not a fun time, outfit-wise

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the warrior outfit is just bad in general

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Bow knight Anna is a waste of her growths, it caps out at 24 mag.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Because in 10/20 Mage Knight instead of 10/20 Warrior Anna has +10.75 magic and is therefore better at killing non-flying things, and also has Chaos Style for +3 Speed against most enemies. Even if you're willing to use one of the three initial Master Seals and to forge a Radiant Bow ASAP, putting Anna in Warrior is a waste unless you're really, really attached to your Second Seals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Fogado can make it work but he's about the only one

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Avalerion posted:

The non-existent mag caps of the latter two, primarily.

Not that cupido's is fantastic either, but it's still better than bow knight.

That's the secret problem with the radiant bow, no bow using classes have valid magic caps.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Important question: Does Etie get her fabled abs as a warrior

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Avalerion posted:

It depends on the difficulty.

Don't run Bow Knight on anyone. It's just worse than Warrior, giving up Backup for 1 mov is a bad trade.

Warrior Anna is much stronger than Fogado on Maddening because when you equip radiant bow she'll have +8 Damage vs. Fliers and +8 Damage vs. Armour assuming level parity between the two at level 17, which are the two things you want your bows to really really loving murder.

Sub Maddening that difference doesn't matter as much because you're going to oneshot the fliers regardless. So Fogado's flexibility is a much bigger strength.

Whether you give a poo poo about the difficulty of babying a unit is up to you. I think it's completely trivial but there are many people who find it to be difficult or enough aggro to not be worth it and their opinions are just as valid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really mind babysitting Anna through her Axe Fighter phase just because Micaiah makes it so much faster. She only needs to gain 5 levels and she can get like a couple levels per map out of Great Sacrifice alone if you plan it right. In the meantime she can be a staff bot during a time when you only have one natural staff user and other characters who could use Micaiah can spend their turns attacking.

Something that might be a slightly bigger issue is that Warrior Anna isn't going to be able to come fully online until Chapter 14, when you get the Radiant Bow, so she needs something to do between promotion and then or she'll fall pretty far behind in levels.

edit: though if you have DLC you can take that DLC Silver Bow and craft it up into a Radiant Bow much sooner. The 20 Silver Ingots that also come with that same DLC drop make that trivial to do.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 17, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Then you may appreciate Hero Ivy, the single worst fashion disaster I could find while messing around with class costumes on different characters

https://twitter.com/a_blue_slime/status/1623807984865529856?s=20

General Lapis looks pretty great though.

There’s nothing good about the Hero Ivy costume yeah but that piss color they use for the gold really bothers me

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

10/7 Warrior Anna has 9 Mag. 17/1 Warrior Fogado has 7 Mag. Even if you literally only care about Radiant Bow, 17/1 Cupido Fogado has 9 Mag and has 3 Spd over Anna, and Anna has less Spd growth than Fogado. Anna is in no way better than Fogado on Maddening.

I will grant you that it's easier for Anna to hit one-shot Flier range with Radiant Bow eventually assuming level parity, but you can't assume that without Micaiah anymore since Warrior Fogado will actually be able to kill a lot more stuff and gain a lot more EXP because he has better Str, Spd and Bld. And a sufficiently forged Radiant Bow will one-shot lategame fliers with Fogado's Mag anyway.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 17, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ROFL Octopus posted:

There’s nothing good about the Hero Ivy costume yeah but that piss color they use for the gold really bothers me

All the metals look awful thanks to the underpowered switch. They wanted to have a reflective/shiny surface but everything involved in it is incredibly low res.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd also argue that a Radiant Bow user is a pretty good candidate for Spirit Dusts if we're worried about Magic stats. The game's actual mages have high enough Magic and Mag growth that they probably won't miss a Spirit Dust or two if you throw a couple to a Radiant Bow archer.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 17, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anna’s bases are pretty dreadful and she needs a lot of time and resources to properly get going. It makes sense that investing in her would be a scam though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I went all in on her on my Maddening run and she's my dire thunder bot now in endgame. Not amazing but made me at least 25k over the run so that was worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anna vs. Fogado is almost a growth vs. bases argument. In the long run, Warrior Anna handily overtakes Cupido Fogado in both Str and Mag, with +4 Str and +5 Mag compared to Fogado at endgame levels. He's stronger when he shows up, she's stronger in the long run.

Except that Fogado maintains a significant lead in Speed, ending up 5 points higher by endgame levels, and that's enough of a difference to be noticeable. So it's maybe less a question of growth vs. bases and more raw power vs. speed. (Fogado also has significantly better defenses but hopefully your archers aren't taking hits often enough for that to be a huge deal.)

Or the other main point of comparison could also be "how much do you care about having one more Backup?"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 17, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah but at least it showcases most characters' carefully curated abs, instead of Anna's equally lovingly rendered child torso with prominent ribs.

It's the one outfit I found upsetting enough to change a character into a different class.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you can install mods, there is one for that.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/423687

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Anna vs. Fogado is almost a growth vs. bases argument. In the long run, Warrior Anna handily overtakes Cupido Fogado in both Str and Mag, with +4 Str and +5 Mag compared to Fogado at endgame levels. He's stronger when he shows up, she's stronger in the long run.

Except that Fogado maintains a significant lead in Speed, ending up 5 points higher by endgame levels, and that's enough of a difference to be noticeable. So it's maybe less a question of growth vs. bases and more raw power vs. speed. (Fogado also has significantly better defenses but hopefully your archers aren't taking hits often enough for that to be a huge deal.)

Or the other main point of comparison could also be "how much do you care about having one more Backup?"

Warrior has a relatively low speed cap, doesn't Fogado cap ram it pretty early?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Warrior has a relatively low speed cap, doesn't Fogado cap ram it pretty early?

I was comparing with Cupido Fogado rather than Warrior Fogado, but also no, Warrior Fogado won't cap speed until 17/20/7 which you might not even reach by endgame.

Warrior Fogado has much higher Strength and Speed than Warrior Anna but much worse Magic. I think a Radiant Bow Fogado is better off in Cupido, but a physical Fogado definitely wants to go Warrior.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’ve trying out Sword Griffin Knight Rosado with Roy and I don’t know what skills I should be giving him. I’ve already got Canter but I’m just sort of stuck with analysis paralysis with all of the options.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There’s a lot of different reactions to characters dying in this game that I’d say very few people have seen so far. Let’s take our friend Pandreo.

This is for if Panette dies:

Pandreo posted:

Panette is… No, Divine One, it has to be a lie. Praying for my sister’s soul…please, I can’t…

This is if both Fogado and Bunet die:

Pandreo posted:

Divine One, I don’t understand, why did Fogado and Bunet have to go? Why did they leave me?

And if somehow you lose all three? It’s hard to read.

Pandreo posted:

I’ve lost my master, my sister, my best friend… Divine One, please, tell me this is for a reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I’ve trying out Sword Griffin Knight Rosado with Roy and I don’t know what skills I should be giving him. I’ve already got Canter but I’m just sort of stuck with analysis paralysis with all of the options.

Avoid+, Speed+, or Speedtaker (if he's getting enough kills) would be good. Get whatever level of Avoid+ or Speed+ you can afford if you go that route. Or throw another 1000 SP to upgrade to Canter+ and delay having to make a decision a while longer.

ROFL Octopus posted:

And if somehow you lose all three? It’s hard to read.

Jesus that one hurts

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hm, now considering a revolutionary run where all royals, and only royals, must die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can massively turbo level anyone on hard with micaiah since healer exp isnt nerfed

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

goatface posted:

Hm, now considering a revolutionary run where all royals, and only royals, must die.

the genealogy ending where all the inheritors besides seliph die and he quietly reassembles arvis's empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can only assume some of this Anna discussion is made for maddening.
I had no problem bringing up Anna alongside everyone else. Micaiah made leveling trivially easy in the early game.

As for bumping into caps on Bow Knight, when is that a bad thing? I haven't hit it yet, having completed chapter 18, and she's one of my best player phase units with the Radiant bow. I guess when she does hit the cap, I would be losing out on some growth, but if I moved her into a mage class, the very best spell I can stick on her is still one less power, and something I would have to buy, and she wouldn't be able to use bows or axes (unless I crammed her into Mage Knight, I guess).

It's a case where I think ramming the cap absolutely doesn't matter. She'd maybe be a little better with Thoron, but almost certainly worse with everything else.

Enemies can only get so dead, anyhow.