Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Doomykins posted:

My favorite Niall "cheese" is to pelt him with ranged attacks while kiting his adds. He never speeds up until phase change and at half health he will despawn the knights and forcefully enter P2.

I mean, I did it with a bow so good luck not getting poked since Sol Knights are real assholes.

There's also the very real cheese method of peppering Niall with arrows/bolts from outside the arena (the small tower thing near the knight with the wolf buddies). There's a row of small holes in the arena wall, it's possible to hit him with a projectile through one of them which will start the fight (boss music & health bar show up). After that Niall will amble over from his starting position over to the wall trying to reach the player where it's very easy to pincushion him to death with a bit of patience and/or application of rot/bleed projectiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Niall is a cinch these days because so many of his attacks are parryable. And if you're scared of his dangerously delayed attacks, stay in mid range, and react to his charge attacks. If he does the horizontal charge, you can parry that initial halberd swing, or crouch (!) and it will literally miss. Do note that he always does a lightning slam and icy stormcall followup. If he does the leaping jump attack, roll backwards, and he does a slow forehand attack that has consistent timing and is easy to parry.

John Murdoch posted:

In fairness, some of it is clearly a me thing because ADHD and long marathon sessions, but basically I feel like latter-era From's map design sometimes has a tendency to fractalize in a way that's mentally exhausting to keep track of. Doubly so if my mental bandwidth is being used up by trying not to die. I was stuck in Leyndell at one point because I was trying to find the Seedbed Curse and I knew for a fact that it was in an obvious early area and it turned out that I had completely forgotten the ladder going up, because that building already has like 2-3 other exits and alternate paths to worry about and a bunch of Perfumers which at the time were a bit of a threat.

Though even then Stormveil is especially weird with things like the tower elevator only existing to support a secret side path rather than being a central shortcut back to a grace. In earlier games it totally would've been. Or how a couple of the rampart side paths just kind of terminate without really leading to anything significant. I figured disarming the welcoming committee (actually more specifically the second phase welcoming committee with the exploding bolts) would reveal something significant but I think there's just some plants up there.

Edit: Also I fibbed earlier because I remembered the one bad part of Raya Lucaria, the platforming across the rooftops and belltower stuff. That was pretty bad and to hell with any alternate paths that require A) extensive platforming and B) split off in such a way where you have to make multiple trips. I did one jaunt across the ones in Leyndell and then said to hell with it.

From map design has only been getting better as technology improves, being able to give more textures a normal map suddenly makes them easier to distinguish from each other and helps navigation. That and the levels are filled little doodads that indicate where to go next, like lighting sources.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fire Giant really doesn't seem that hard but I keep dying

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

verbal enema posted:

that fight sucked, the camera is a big pita
Get Alexander involved, he's a stud vs the Fire Giant

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The trick with the Fire Giant fight is that the way you're supposed to fight him changes between phases, but the game doesn't tell you this very well. In phase 1 his weakpoint is the injured leg, but in phase 2 his weakpoints are the arms/hands and also the big eye in his chest(there's one attack which leaves it in reach of melee). Most people, including me, didn't twig to this and got pretty frustrated when hitting the legs suddenly deals way less damage.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you're also basically invincible on horse in phase 2 if you stay near the back, which takes longer but iirc the only thing he can hit you with, the big fire AOE puddles, has a long telegraph.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You'd also be surprised to learn that the eye is a weak spot since criticals there do fuckall damage compared to criticals on any other boss

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

verbal enema posted:

If you are looking directly at his rear end and balls you are doing the fight correctly.

I wish this was a joke but here we are.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

we did it folks

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Katamari Democracy posted:

If you are looking directly at his rear end and balls you are doing the fight correctly.

I wish this was a joke but here we are.

Taurus demon, is that you? I've missed you so much :smith:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
here's a dragon and a platform the exact size of it

now fight

i was wondering when some very intentionally dipshit stuff was going to happen lol

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
That ancient dragon is a test of patience. It's meant to be frustrating, yes but killing it now means saving yourself from high pitched screaming later on as it ambushes you again from range

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I summoned redmane knight for fire giant. He stood in front of a rock firing arrows into it.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
IMO Azula is quite forgiving once you learn the layout and don't stray too far from save points - or be an idiot and play online because this place is a heaven for range-build invaders. I'd rate Farum Azula as 3.5 Miyazakis, where one Miyazaki is Blight Town from DS1

The top of my list includes Earthen Peak from DS2 which is 5, and it's lovely lovely encore in DS3 Dreg Heap with whopping 6 Miyazakis

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure I had better performance on phase 1 of Rykard stubbornly hacking away at him with my regular weapon than on the second try actually using the spear.

I probably should've just combined both techniques and embraced the hot tub. Too late to test that now tho.

Edit: I continue to not be a fan of the wind weapon boss gimmick stuff, but at least unlike DS3 they both give you the weapon BEFORE the boss fight starts and it's not a loving puzzle to figure out how to actually use the drat thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 17, 2023

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Fists Up posted:

Where's a good spot to farm runes that isn't Mohgwyn palace (where all the guides say). I'm not there yet and feel a bit stuck at level 94. I am struggling with Commander Niall and the Fire Giant but don't really know where to go instead.

I like to farm the first room of Sealed Tunnel, or the dancing ladies by the windmills.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBH, I've never really seen much reason for rune farming in Elden Ring. There's nearly always somewhere else you can explore and get goodies from if you're hitting a wall.

Sole exception is doing a run from the Prayer Room through Elphael in the extreme endgame in order to round out my runes to the level-up threshold (or to buy ammunition, if my build uses it), because that area is insanely lucrative.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

TBH, I've never really seen much reason for rune farming in Elden Ring. There's nearly always somewhere else you can explore and get goodies from if you're hitting a wall.

Sole exception is doing a run from the Prayer Room through Elphael in the extreme endgame in order to round out my runes to the level-up threshold (or to buy ammunition, if my build uses it), because that area is insanely lucrative.

I think that's true, but on my last playthrough I kind of didn't want to bother with a lot of caves or labyrinths. I didn't do a lot of grinding, probably just a level or two like you say here with the level rounding. Another fair reason is to buy smithing stones for a new weapon you want to try. That's not usually too many runes though.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My method is to never spend the rune items I pick up for that very reason, because then if I'm at a merchant and just 578 runes away from buying them out, or ready to upgrade a new or old weapon, or top off those last 1/5/9k runes until the level threshold, I just open the inventory and pop whatever runes I need from there. Added benefit of not losing them on death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I just accepted that in this game any runes I have on my person are incidental and if I lose them I almost certainly won't get them back/out of the boss arena. Your bloodstain is so tiny in this game I don't actually know what it's called (runestain?) and frequently ride right over it with Torrent! It should auto collect if you stand close for a few seconds imo.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CaptainRat posted:

My method is to never spend the rune items I pick up for that very reason, because then if I'm at a merchant and just 578 runes away from buying them out, or ready to upgrade a new or old weapon, or top off those last 1/5/9k runes until the level threshold, I just open the inventory and pop whatever runes I need from there. Added benefit of not losing them on death.

OMG samesies. I consider rune items on hand as "the piggy bank", which I only dip into if I am just under a level, or even a shop purchase.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sekiro directly encourages that mindset with its purchasable coin pouches. I think that was a big hint from Miyazaki about the intended use of rune/soul/blood consumables.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Darth Walrus posted:

Sekiro directly encourages that mindset with its purchasable coin pouches. I think that was a big hint from Miyazaki about the intended use of rune/soul/blood consumables.

Undoubtedly. The fact that experience to level in no way kept pace with the rune potential of the golden runes I was finding was a clear signal to me that I was supposed to save them and not just pop them to chase stat-ups.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
There's a cracked tear for the physick that acts as a 3 minute twiggy branch that'll prevent you from dropping runes when you die. I just sip that before doing anything suicidal and never worry about losing runes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think anybody is running around popping a rune item when it doesn't almost immediately benefit them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sticking to RL150 at max has been surprisingly more difficult than even my other runs where I ended at ~170, and even despite buying hundreds of smithing stones I've still just burned over 3 million runes.

I'll second the Prayer Room -> Cleanrot Knights room path as the best rune farm even if it is a very endgame one, I've just run it a bunch testing out various weapons because it's great for that, and evey time I've ended up with like 10 levels lol.

War Wizard posted:

There's a cracked tear for the physick that acts as a 3 minute twiggy branch that'll prevent you from dropping runes when you die. I just sip that before doing anything suicidal and never worry about losing runes.

But also this, my physik on every playthrough has been twiggy+stam regen, becuase it's just universally really good for everybody. Once I hit whatever RL I had in mind I replace the twiggy with something for the situation or the Opaline Hardtear that boosts all resistances for 3 minutes. I'm impatient and trade a lot so defensive stuff is also an offensive boost for me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Godfrey is the classic brick wall for any pure unga bunga build so it's lucky I love his fight, but I've been trying out other colossals on a lark and wtf is with the Watchdog's Staff? It's just sitting on the ground in an early game catacomb and the weapon art on this thing is homing, ranged, and hits as hard as a charged R2 with my GUTS sword wtf. Why can't I be a dex build where you only have like 4 weapons to choose from!

It's also fire and forget, if you've got a 2 second opening you just cast it and otherwise your pure caveman lifestyle is completely unaffected beyond having to do it a lot less

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 17, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morgott was a pushover compared to Margit. With the shackles and some ghost wolves I got him on the second try.

The fact that I'm 60+ levels higher and actually know how to play the game now obviously had nothing to do with it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FreudianSlippers posted:

The fact that I'm 60+ levels higher and actually know how to play the game now obviously had nothing to do with it.

its all pure skill gamer

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Beat Radagon on my first try! It's possible (definite) that I'm overleveled

Elden Beast beat me but I only attempted it once. He's sorta like Astel in that I couldn't quite tell when he was attacking with some of the magic attacks

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
My method for rune farming is co-op. It might not be the fastest, but to me it’s the most rewarding.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

til that there are tons of inputs that you can't reasonably do in this game with m+kb. I'm learning to play it on a controller now that I own one. Gonna run around gatefront for a while figuring this out.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gelmir Armor is so drat slick

also i finally found the godskin duo and im going to give it a few tries with my main man Oleg and after that its loving naptime for these suckas

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Esme posted:

My method for rune farming is co-op. It might not be the fastest, but to me it’s the most rewarding.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Godfrey is the classic brick wall for any pure unga bunga build so it's lucky I love his fight, but I've been trying out other colossals on a lark and wtf is with the Watchdog's Staff? It's just sitting on the ground in an early game catacomb and the weapon art on this thing is homing, ranged, and hits as hard as a charged R2 with my GUTS sword wtf. Why can't I be a dex build where you only have like 4 weapons to choose from!

It's also fire and forget, if you've got a 2 second opening you just cast it and otherwise your pure caveman lifestyle is completely unaffected beyond having to do it a lot less

I used Watchdog's staff for a long time, basically until I got Giant-Crusher and even after when I wanted some ranged attacks occasionally. The cool thing is that you don't need any magic stats for the ranged magic attack, it scales directly from your weapon upgrade level.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i like playing random coop but i wish i was better at pvp because when im not being summoned for bosses we get invaded and i eat poo poo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i like playing random coop but i wish i was better at pvp because when im not being summoned for bosses we get invaded and i eat poo poo

I summoned a dude to kill O'neal with me, and he ran up and ate poo poo less than 8 seconds after he spawned it. Tried to melee with some huge hammer and the dude just interrupted him and finished him off.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the dragon on that little bitty circle arena in Farum Azula is just a 20k ruin pinata?

that fucker knocked me off so many times and thats what i get? :mad:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That same dragon appears in another, even more inconvenient location and does everything within its considerable power to make your life unpleasant. You've saved yourself a headache, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry Diplomat posted:

That same dragon appears in another, even more inconvenient location and does everything within its considerable power to make your life unpleasant. You've saved yourself a headache, at the very least.

i ran past the one that uses red lighting near the beginning of Farum because gently caress that and also gently caress fighting on weirdo slanted architecture terrain