Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The charge d'affairs for The Great Satan encouraging girls to do witchcraft in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan really shows the best and brightest are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

this is the future liberals want

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
balloon rides are byoc (bring your own chaff) from now on

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1626288489745510401

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
what

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know I did something wrong but I don't know what so I'll try to look like an earnest idiot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

she posted a bunch of ignorant questions at black people in some kind of attempt to bring their lessons to girls in Afghanistan and became a laughing stock

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

idk how the gently caress anyone thinks a real deal actual war with china is going to work. its going to be funny when the west loses access to asian manufacturing capacity while simultaneously having to retool our domestic industry for military production. the people in charge think they can just buy whatever whenever at any quantity and have no conceptual understanding that everything has to be manufactured. manufacturing requires supply chains, and those supply chains require long term nurturing and development.

if you don't assume extreme incompetence they are either bluffing and aren't planning for a proper conflict to happen, or they expect it to go nuclear so fast who gives a gently caress. im worried its the latter lmao

maybe it is possible that chinese capitalists will happily continue making weapons and ammo for the united states and we'll do the same for them or whatever even in wars against one another. the concept of a nation state is long gone baby. its a corporate world and we're just along for the ride. maybe idk

unless its like a Real War for material reasons. not just MIC scams

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think we make most of our own ammunition still since we have such a huge gun thing going on. not sure tho.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

i think we make most of our own ammunition still since we have such a huge gun thing going on. not sure tho.

a significant percentage of ammunition sold in the united states pre-2018 was imported from russia because they run old soviet factories at soviet production volumes over there and re-tooled for popular american cartridges in the 90s

when the sanctions hit the market ammo prices exploded overnight and still havent recovered. we absolutely do not have an ammunition autarky lol

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
there are still mountains of boxes stamped with TULA AMMUNITION in every american sporting goods store because the stockpiles we brought over havent run out yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ty.

in world news, another russian defense official has fallen out a window to her death

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
also there’s a thriving grey market of shady ammo resellers who buy up all the popular calibers and relist them online for triple what they paid for them

a lot of stores around here have limits on the max amount of ammo you can buy per person to try to discourage the practice, but even then it’s common for most of the more popular calibers to be sold out

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Smythe posted:

maybe it is possible that chinese capitalists will happily continue making weapons and ammo for the united states and we'll do the same for them or whatever even in wars against one another. the concept of a nation state is long gone baby. its a corporate world and we're just along for the ride. maybe idk

unless its like a Real War for material reasons. not just MIC scams

ah the "lets just hope the john birch society was right actually" approach

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

ty.

in world news, another russian defense official has fallen out a window to her death

yeah they'll do that

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Real hurthling! posted:

there are lots of non-american ammos on the market, if you go to a gun store you'll likely see (in addition to the american manufacturers) stuff from czech republic, germany, belgium, italy and spain

when you look online you'll see a similar breakdown: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/9mm/

another wrinkle is that some of the materials used in arms manufacture come from the very places we're performatively belligerent towards: https://www.defensenews.com/congres...ts-to-fix-that/

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Feb 17, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
You all remember that America needs Chinese antimony to make bullets right?

https://www.defensenews.com/congres...ts-to-fix-that/

Palladium posted:

even funnier when "only a gas station" russia is outshooting them like 10:1

I thought you could buy bullets at American gas stations?

Delta-Wye posted:

1 year doing real war on a single 2500km front, and NATO is getting real tired

world's most expensive paper tiger

The little red arrow looks like an armband lol.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I'm a geopolitical dummy but if we got into a hot war with China like our Government is getting it's dick hard for, what's the chance that everyone else we piss off with our aggression joins up with them? Thinking about Russia and Iran being passive as we try to destroy the productive engine of the world.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Throb Robinson posted:

I'm a geopolitical dummy but if we got into a hot war with China like our Government is getting it's dick hard for, what's the chance that everyone else we piss off with our aggression joins up with them? Thinking about Russia and Iran being passive as we try to destroy the productive engine of the world.

look up BRICS

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At least here, standardized ammo with a “C” prefix must be made domestically. Is it possible “M” ammo (5.56 and 7.62 as opposed to .223 and .308) is regulated the same way?

It’s not like you could have civilian ammo in the supply system, at least for more finicky weapons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Throb Robinson posted:

Or at very least they would make their own moves while the US is distracted. But I doubt Iran and Russia if not most of Eurasia would join any sanctions on China hell if not most of the global south.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Paytime is over

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a hot war with China is going to have to not turn nuclear instantly for any hypotheticals to matter, but there are any number of countries that would be essentially obliged to at least tacitly allow Americans to operate from their soil because of the military bases already there

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
ive been enjoying this former soviet chud named Martyanov that posts rants on youtube under the name smoothiex12. he likes to promote analytical approaches to topics and is kind of an rear end in a top hat about things i also hate

he claims (reasonably) that industrial warfare is a stochastic process and can be modeled and understood mathematically. when he shows his soviet war manuals they look suspiciously like one of my engineering textooks - i can't read the russian text and wouldn't have noticed the difference honestly

his general thesis are the people in charge in the west are actors and lawyers and other folks with an innumerate education. i can't stop seeing this pattern too - they can (barely) wrap their heads around systems, but not systems in motion/with time as a function. its like watching someone planning out a chess game in their head but forgetting that in-between their movements, the opponent also moves their pieces changing the board over time

blinken has a degree in social studies, nuland has a degree in russian lit. i wonder if any of them have contemplated the difference between sending N tanks once, and sending N tanks/month. we are intensely unprepared for what is coming :toot:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

ive been enjoying this former soviet chud named Martyanov that posts rants on youtube under the name smoothiex12. he likes to promote analytical approaches to topics and is kind of an rear end in a top hat about things i also hate

he claims (reasonably) that industrial warfare is a stochastic process and can be modeled and understood mathematically. when he shows his soviet war manuals they look suspiciously like one of my engineering textooks - i can't read the russian text and wouldn't have noticed the difference honestly

his general thesis are the people in charge in the west are actors and lawyers and other folks with an innumerate education. i can't stop seeing this pattern too - they can (barely) wrap their heads around systems, but not systems in motion/with time as a function. its like watching someone planning out a chess game in their head but forgetting that in-between their movements, the opponent also moves their pieces changing the board over time

blinken has a degree in social studies, nuland has a degree in russian lit. i wonder if any of them have contemplated the difference between sending N tanks once, and sending N tanks/month. we are intensely unprepared for what is coming :toot:

the wests leaders arent actually in charge of anything except public relations
one assumes the joint chiefs or whomever go to war college but they are likely also dumb as hell in their own way idk.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

The guys who built the US empire were sales guys and that's still where the US' strength lies.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

one assumes the joint chiefs or whomever go to war college but they are likely also dumb as hell in their own way idk.

yeah that southcom lady boss general speaks like an mba graduate

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

. i wonder if any of them have contemplated the difference between sending N tanks once, and sending N tanks/month. we are intensely unprepared for what is coming :toot:

no a bunch of them get an education systems but it comes from a different route than you are thinking about. ships, supply chains, and industrial processes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

like where do you think these ways of thinking come from historically?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

they understand system thinking well enough to outsource it to third parties so as to be able to control model inputs by defining scope so as to get the model outcomes that justify whatever they wanted in the first place.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

The joint chiefs have less power than combatant commanders. They are staff advisors. The commanders have a direct line to the SECDEF and command their forces and have a lot of authorities granted via the unified command plan, which congress approves. Not all combatant commands are resourced equally of course. For example USINDOPACOM is so much bigger than USSOUTHCOM (population, size, and assigned forces), that they hardly compare.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

q=!e

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

QEDeez nuts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

I went to and work at a war college and I am v dumb, make of that what you will. Besides my Master of Defence Studies, I have an education in a liberal arts field, which I think I was pretty good at, but not Oxford or Cambridge level good so here we are.

However smart you are at staff work, as mlmp said, your work is subject to the elected officials and unelected capital, so you can tell them all about the Delian League but you'll still have to draft plans for intervention in Taiwan and a naval blockade of China without raising corporate taxes or moving industry back here.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Feb 17, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I went to and work at a war college and I am v dumb, make of that what you will.

i heard canada is sending warships to haiti again. :sad:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

I think another part of the problem is that Western leaders have completely internalized contemporary economics. One thing you see repeatedly in articles questioning why Russia hasn't collapsed under the weight of massive sanctions from "larger" economies is comparisons based in GDP numbers, like "Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's". The warped valuations of different forms of labour and capital in modern technologized and financialized economies mean that even if the people in charge understand systems, they're understanding them from a perspective that legitimately thinks a Silicon Valley techbro produces 20x the economic value of a Russian tank factory worker, because the techbro makes US$200k a year and the tank factory worker makes the equivalent of US$5k a year. But when it comes to fighting a war, building tanks is much more valuable to the physical economy and its warmaking potential than figuring out how to make a chatbot not say the n-word or programming an app that tells you where the nearest public toilet is. Trying to assess countries' real economic power and potential to wage industrialized warfare based on absolute GDP numbers is obviously ludicrous, but that's how we've trained a generation of politicians and decision-makers to think so that's how they understand the world.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DARPA/status/1625189864860794881?t=NvpFIYyAYUtpF1kufr-PGg&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard canada is sending warships to haiti again. :sad:

The Canadian ruling class has wanted Haiti to become a province since Laurier, but have yet to find a way to do it without Haitians becoming citizens. So yeah, you're stuck planning around things like that, and of course, there's no way to make it work. That's sort of the basic problem with the national interest being determined by an ideology and class that's corrosive to the state.

vyelkin posted:

I think another part of the problem is that Western leaders have completely internalized contemporary economics. One thing you see repeatedly in articles questioning why Russia hasn't collapsed under the weight of massive sanctions from "larger" economies is comparisons based in GDP numbers, like "Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's". The warped valuations of different forms of labour and capital in modern technologized and financialized economies mean that even if the people in charge understand systems, they're understanding them from a perspective that legitimately thinks a Silicon Valley techbro produces 20x the economic value of a Russian tank factory worker, because the techbro makes US$200k a year and the tank factory worker makes the equivalent of US$5k a year. But when it comes to fighting a war, building tanks is much more valuable to the physical economy and its warmaking potential than figuring out how to make a chatbot not say the n-word or programming an app that tells you where the nearest public toilet is. Trying to assess countries' real economic power and potential to wage industrialized warfare based on absolute GDP numbers is obviously ludicrous, but that's how we've trained a generation of politicians and decision-makers to think so that's how they understand the world.

This is a much smarter way to say it. For example, there was about a month where the Canadian government was investigating mobilizing national industries for covid. PPE, hospital equipment, ventilators, the whole thing. They went through all the data on industries, called up factories for plant space, tooling, all of that stuff, and then basically I think hit an ideological wall where it was not actually worth it, I would go on to say possible, for them to do anything. I was a bit blown away by the whole thing.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nice to see the new Ace Combat coming along.