Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Android Apocalypse posted:

My mom's side of the family have degenerative neurological disorders so there's a non-zero chance I could have dementia too.
:same:
Grandma had Alzheimer’s, and my mom’s oldest brother is now living with us because he has low level dementia as diagnosed by a physician.

Joke’s on you dementia, I won’t live long enough :luckyducky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rip

https://twitter.com/wlos_13/status/1626416152334282757?s=46&t=Ywh4QV4FVnKdQCFbgzoHrw

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

If you find yourself in this sort of situation for yourself or someone you love, that's my advice to you. Don't presuppose what you'll definitely do; just resolve to deal with your personal and family tragedy as best you can, and be forgiving of yourself and everyone else because this is just a hosed up situation nobody can ever actually be prepared for.

This is all really important and good information. Thanks for sharing! It couldn’t have been easy.

I was being a bit glib specifically about the frontotemporal dementia and my desire to die rather than suffer through it. I didn’t mean to minimize the humanity remaining

[EDITED] snipped a rambling depressing mess of my own traumatic nightmares

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 17, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Kevin Roose took the new Bing powered by AI for a spin and hoo boy was it a ride. He summarizes the chat in the article

quote:

As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead.

The whole transcript is a trip

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-transcript.html

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I dunno what to think about AI chat bots and stuff.

I dont like how easy it is for them to mimic voices etc now using it.

But my friends who do nerd stuff all tell me Ai is still dumb and limited by the people coding it and not at all a threat to things.

Weird times. Interesting. But weird.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

swickles posted:

Perfectly nice people become raging combative monsters

I've got bad news for anyone who is just now learning who Bruce Willis is

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BlindSite posted:

I dunno what to think about AI chat bots and stuff.

I dont like how easy it is for them to mimic voices etc now using it.

But my friends who do nerd stuff all tell me Ai is still dumb and limited by the people coding it and not at all a threat to things.

Weird times. Interesting. But weird.

It's a threat in that the shittiest companies will absolutely flood AI written articles up about things, making google even less useful, and producing an infinite number of authoritative sounding fud.

It's just going to add more garbage to everything. Ai chatbots that just scan keywords on twitter and start sealioning people, fake edited clips of random D-list streamers saying cancellable things, fake people news articles / missing person reports. Sure most of it will be easy to sus out, but that's time and effort that just is going to make the internet suck so much more.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GD_American posted:

I've got bad news for anyone who is just now learning who Bruce Willis is

Chet Hanks father?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

It's a threat in that the shittiest companies will absolutely flood AI written articles up about things, making google even less useful, and producing an infinite number of authoritative sounding fud.

Yeah it's very funny right now looking up the results you can get, and in the AI's defense it's supposed to sound like a human chatting with you instead of just spitting out an answer (this is all I feel like I'd ever want from Bing or Google or wherever). But it's supposed to have a conversation with you by design, and an AI learning to have a conversation like humans do is rough because humans are often some messy bitches. It doesn't know when it's appropriate to become affronted yet.

But this part that you mentioned really sucks. It also sucks that it's just going to and already has started to replace actual reporters and journalists and people who write things.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Funny enough YouTube suggested this earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb3Ndqf3qHk

I went back and watched this today and thought it was an interesting enough look at the difference in models between the 3 price points, though they did seem to spend a lot more time dissecting Ruth’s Chris than the other two. The thing it touched on that I think keeps me from really enjoying a steakhouse (and I think I mentioned this in an earlier version of this thread) is that the vibe tends to pretty squarely target boomers/late Gen X and that idea of fancy doesn’t do it for me. If I’m already paying a bunch for a steak I can get like 90% of the way to at home, I want something other than the wood paneling/wine cellar/overly prim waitstaff motif. You can go to a place like Texas Roadhouse to get it all dressed down but then you’re also getting bargain bin meat.

I’m sure I’m being overly picky but at the price point of a nicer steakhouse there are just a bunch of options available to me that are doing something more interesting or creative and aren’t things I can easily replicate at home. Of course that’s also a benefit of living in a bigger city and sometimes the local steakhouse is the de facto fancy place so you take what you can get.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

It's just going to add more garbage to everything. Ai chatbots that just scan keywords on twitter and start sealioning people, fake edited clips of random D-list streamers saying cancellable things, fake people news articles / missing person reports. Sure most of it will be easy to sus out, but that's time and effort that just is going to make the internet suck so much more.

Huge Kojima vibes tbh

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Yeah that's the poo poo that concerns me more than anything. We're already seeing some truly dumb policy and beliefs in general from outright lies and misinformation that you can readily disprove with a five minute google search and this is only going to make it a lot worse.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Wife picked me up today, broke down a lot, but I’m home. Oldest daughter has alot of questions, about where I was and why I had to go away, loving sucks lying to your kid

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 17, 2023

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Thank you guys, know how hard it is to rehash poo poo, it really helped

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Freaquency posted:

I went back and watched this today and thought it was an interesting enough look at the difference in models between the 3 price points, though they did seem to spend a lot more time dissecting Ruth’s Chris than the other two. The thing it touched on that I think keeps me from really enjoying a steakhouse (and I think I mentioned this in an earlier version of this thread) is that the vibe tends to pretty squarely target boomers/late Gen X and that idea of fancy doesn’t do it for me. If I’m already paying a bunch for a steak I can get like 90% of the way to at home, I want something other than the wood paneling/wine cellar/overly prim waitstaff motif. You can go to a place like Texas Roadhouse to get it all dressed down but then you’re also getting bargain bin meat.

I’m sure I’m being overly picky but at the price point of a nicer steakhouse there are just a bunch of options available to me that are doing something more interesting or creative and aren’t things I can easily replicate at home. Of course that’s also a benefit of living in a bigger city and sometimes the local steakhouse is the de facto fancy place so you take what you can get.

Great video. Never really thought about the different spots, but when reflecting on the model and my time in corporate life… I get it.

Like a big ol chain of excusable business expenses

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hell yeah Ruth’s Chris give me that 35 dollar asparagus side.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never herd of Ruth Chris before and I watched the video until it mentioned hat they can pay tipped workers less than minimum wage and realized I've only worked in Washington and California, where, no you still have to pay minimum wage to tipped employees, and that's probably why I've never heard of Ruth Chris.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Ruth’s Chris in Asheville took PPP money then immediately drug tested their own employees which would have been a massive local scandal if it hadn’t happened right before the owner of Itto was outed as a sex pest.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

a sexual elk posted:

Wife picked me up today, broke down a lot, but I’m home. Oldest daughter has alot of questions, about where I was and why I had to go away, loving sucks lying to your kid

Good news man, hope you can work it out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh hell yeah Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms 2 are gonna be in the PlayStation store next week

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Bounced hard off Eisenhorn but liked the lore sk started the first Gaunts Ghosts and this poo poo is amazing!!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh hell yeah Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms 2 are gonna be in the PlayStation store next week

And Horizon Forbidden West will be free for PS Plus Extra/Premium members. I know what I'll be playing next week

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shinji2015 posted:

And Horizon Forbidden West will be free for PS Plus Extra/Premium members. I know what I'll be playing next week

I was thinking of replaying that too since the DLC comes out in April

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FizFashizzle posted:

The Ruth’s Chris in Asheville took PPP money then immediately drug tested their own employees which would have been a massive local scandal if it hadn’t happened right before the owner of Itto was outed as a sex pest.

Sounds like this person is a real piece of poo poo!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Of course PlayStation game sales drop right after I blew my load on a wheel for playing GT7 with the nice GT goons

9 week Miata Cup series starts Monday :getin:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Google search has already been ruined for so many kinds of product reviews. So much stuff out there is just AI created drivel that is utterly useless and has captured the first two pages of results.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Bounced hard off Eisenhorn but liked the lore sk started the first Gaunts Ghosts and this poo poo is amazing!!

Yay :)

Lemme know if you find any other good books

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Waited three hours for this omelette.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1626595712925601792?s=46&t=VgWoo1PQFJhmuWzjgcfoRQ

The chef is Jay Fai, a 73 year old who received the first Michelin star in Bangkok and still does all the cooking by herself. She has three woks in the alley beside her restaurant, wears motorcycle goggles, and just goes wild. She has a full staff doing prep, running food, etc. just a cool experience.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I've been to Ruth's Chris once and it was trash. The server kept mentioning 500 degree plates and be careful it's a 500 degree plate we brought this steak on and that plate caused the steak to be incredibly overcooked. No food needs a 500 degree plate to serve on, especially steak. Just so loving stupid. And the roasted brussel sprouts were just straight steamed.

Like, Outback is miles better for a chain steak with the bonus of having bloomin' onions.

And there's nothing spooky about AI -- it's still just a dumb algorithm that's only as good as the data it was trained on. I've seen dumb articles about how chatgpt gave the same investing advice as warren buffet and some other investing gurus and like, no poo poo. That would've literally been the data it crawled and learned on. It's nowhere near the realm producing original thoughts/content. All it's going to do is flood our media channels with even more homogeneous poo poo and replace more email jobs because it's 'good enough'.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 17, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Skwirl posted:

I've never herd of Ruth Chris before and I watched the video until it mentioned hat they can pay tipped workers less than minimum wage and realized I've only worked in Washington and California, where, no you still have to pay minimum wage to tipped employees, and that's probably why I've never heard of Ruth Chris.

The only time I ate at a Ruth's Chris was in SF in the late 90s or so, so they definitely exist in CA. I remember it being decent :shrug:, that is my story.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 17, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

I've been to Ruth's Chris once and it was trash. The server kept mentioning 500 degree plates and be careful it's a 500 degree plate we brought this steak on and that plate caused the steak to be incredibly overcooked. No food needs a 500 degree plate to serve on, especially steak. Just so loving stupid. And the roasted brussel sprouts were just straight steamed.

Like, Outback is miles better for a chain steak with the bonus of having bloomin' onions.

And there's nothing spooky about AI -- it's still just a dumb algorithm that's only as good as the data it was trained on. I've seen dumb articles about how chatgpt gave the same investing advice as warren buffet and some other investing gurus and like, no poo poo. That would've literally been the data it crawled and learned on. It's nowhere near the realm producing original thoughts/content. All it's going to do is flood our media channels with even more homogeneous poo poo and replace more email jobs because it's 'good enough'.

Wow. That’s a pretty lovely Ruth Chris. What city?
And nobody should be this tense on a friday. Weekend baby 😎

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Waited three hours for this omelette.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1626595712925601792?s=46&t=VgWoo1PQFJhmuWzjgcfoRQ

The chef is Jay Fai, a 73 year old who received the first Michelin star in Bangkok and still does all the cooking by herself. She has three woks in the alley beside her restaurant, wears motorcycle goggles, and just goes wild. She has a full staff doing prep, running food, etc. just a cool experience.

If you're getting a meal in Thailand in a fully-enclosed space, you have messed up IMO. Gimme a street vendor any day, or one of those restaurants that only has walls on three sides and all of the plates and utensils are plastic.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. It's Friday, chill out man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ruth Chris is the most hit or miss place, and its entirely on whoever owns the location. I used to go to the North Palm Beach one (RIP) and thought that Ruth Chris was the undisputed champ. Never had a bad experience or a bad steak there. Then I went to the one in Boca and one in Miami and they were straight trash. I think it helped the North Palm Beach one because the clientele was rich, but not super rich where tipping was lovely. One waitress I knew there basically only worked during the season, cleared six figures, and just picked up a couple summer shifts here and there. She also got hired by a lot of her regulars to do poo poo like tend bar and serve appetizers at private parties and would make an obscene amount doing that too. I am sure the chefs there had similar deals considering that they were pretty stable in staff for a long rear end time by restaurant standards.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
if you live in the DC area, you owe it to yourself to check out Nasime. The best restaurant. Just do it and thank me later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

swickles posted:

Ruth Chris is the most hit or miss place, and its entirely on whoever owns the location. I used to go to the North Palm Beach one (RIP) and thought that Ruth Chris was the undisputed champ. Never had a bad experience or a bad steak there. Then I went to the one in Boca and one in Miami and they were straight trash. I think it helped the North Palm Beach one because the clientele was rich, but not super rich where tipping was lovely. One waitress I knew there basically only worked during the season, cleared six figures, and just picked up a couple summer shifts here and there. She also got hired by a lot of her regulars to do poo poo like tend bar and serve appetizers at private parties and would make an obscene amount doing that too. I am sure the chefs there had similar deals considering that they were pretty stable in staff for a long rear end time by restaurant standards.

Ruth’s Chris.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

If you're getting a meal in Thailand in a fully-enclosed space, you have messed up IMO. Gimme a street vendor any day, or one of those restaurants that only has walls on three sides and all of the plates and utensils are plastic.

There’s been plenty of that on this trip, don’t worry.

Funniest meal was in Hanoi at this bizarre beef restaurant. You order a cut of beef, a side, and it’s brought out a piping hot stone slab and keeps cooking in front of you.

But like there was no ventilation and the entire restaurant was covered floor to ceiling in grease. Almost slipped walking in to the place.

Meat was not bad tho

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wow. That’s a pretty lovely Ruth Chris. What city?

San Antonio.

edit: nm, yes. i'm more tense than i need to be because of work.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 17, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anyone who comes to the PNW I will take for steaks and salmon and crab and sushi.

You’re paying but I will take you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s been plenty of that on this trip, don’t worry.

Funniest meal was in Hanoi at this bizarre beef restaurant. You order a cut of beef, a side, and it’s brought out a piping hot stone slab and keeps cooking in front of you.
Reminds me of a few pho places I've been to that serve their beef raw, and then you dump it into the broth to cook while you dress it up with vegetables. One of them even did their take-out pho beef raw :barf: