Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I think at least the UK cspam thread gets it even if most Brits still don’t, admittedly the UK has some of the most aggressive press out there and it does have an effect. Admittedly, until the 2010s life was still probably okay for most people but the slide has been swift and severe and the British middle class are rapidly shrinking.

That said, I don’t think any off ramp for them, while Scotland (and eventually Northern Ireland and Wales) will make a bid for independence, London needs them if only how shrunken their control has gotten. The Labour Party has been completely hollowed out any chance for a real 3rd party is pretty much impossible.

However, both its economic and fiscal metrics really don’t look good and eventually the City will fully mine out what is left.

i wouldn't put too much hope into scottish independence. the SNP turned out to be a lovely liberal wet fart, incapable and probably not genuinely serious about independence but using it as a rallying cry for votes and sinecures for party members

https://www.conter.scot/2023/2/15/downfall-how-class-contradictions-ended-sturgeons-dismal-rule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

I just find it charming that the big british idea to get the indian elite aboard the second world war was promising....an eventual dominion status far after the war was over something the indian elite was asking an entire generation ago. The USSR really supercharged anticolonialism.

lol this is what I mean about The Greatest Empire the World Has Ever Seen being run by people who thought saying “White Man’s word, don’t you know” was an effective form of administration.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Mind you the post ww1 reforms basically had the elected bodies with limited franchise essentially be advisory bodies to the viceroy. Like sub imperial japan levels of democracy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

That's the amount they have names for and can draw estimations from, but they freely admit its a very conservative estimate.

They have names for 11-12k after some pretty extensive searching though and that probably includes at least some separatists. There doesn’t seem to be some big conspiracy at stake but that Russian losses while significant are not even a serious fraction of that portrayed and they aren’t high enough to limit their manpower.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/UnerkanntW/status/1626628350264344615

if god wills it

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

but the russians ran out of ammo

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

evilmiera posted:

Seems simple enough. Cuba might agree to anything, given the whole torture camps thing, but if they were to say no they'd lose face with certain groups during an international crisis, so its a win-win.

The Cuba Expert

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
10 million new posts what did i miss

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
russia won

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

10 million new posts what did i miss

Bakhmut approaching encirclement, famous journalist reveals US bombed nordstream (OSINT accidentally corroborates him), Pakistan is selling Ukraine its weapons

Think thats it

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

(OSINT accidentally corroborates him)

whats this?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

russia won

hooraY!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Bakhmut approaching encirclement, famous journalist reveals US bombed nordstream (OSINT accidentally corroborates him), Pakistan is selling Ukraine its weapons

Think thats it

who cares!!!! i only care about thread slap fights!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

They insisted that a certain ship that he alleges was there couldnt have possibly been there; it turns out that it not only might have been available, another minesweeper ship of the same class was loitering near the explosion site

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the polish fascists on visegrad24 are reporting that Marina Jankina, head of the financial department of Russia’s Western Military District got defenestrated
what's that about, some powerplay or stamping down some dissent?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Thief posted:

the polish fascists on visegrad24 are reporting that Marina Jankina, head of the financial department of Russia’s Western Military District got defenestrated

it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfdJGrGfA_Y

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

But they were using unfair human wave attacks, so it doesn't count :colbert:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ukraine should surrender 🤪

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ukraine should surrender 🤪

naw, they should fight to the last ukrainian

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Ukraine should invade Poland and draw nato into the conflict

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

fanfic insert posted:

Ukraine should invade Poland and draw nato into the conflict

this would be kewl too

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

amazing!! looking forward to them capturing podunksk, shitgrad, and other tiny towns with prewar populations of about 12 people by christmas for the mere cost of half their ammunition stocks and thousands of conscripts.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

amazing!! looking forward to them capturing podunksk, shitgrad, and other tiny towns with prewar populations of about 12 people by christmas for the mere cost of half their ammunition stocks and thousands of conscripts.

ok

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

mila kunis posted:

someones coping

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

mila kunis posted:

it’s giving al-Saqr, henny!!!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

According to a guy on twitter she's very clumsy and everybody who knows her is sad, but understands that she died doing what she loved

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mila kunis posted:

why did ukraine want to defend podunsk and shitgrad in the first place

is that where bandera grew up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

They're not really setting objectives based on terrain, though of course that's an element, but their real target is the Ukrainian Army, which is obliging them in that so far. It's not about the small towns, it's about the Ukrainian conscripts buried under a mountain of shells. The "half their ammunition stocks" isn't wasted on territory, it's well spent on Ukrainian soldiers. That's the goal, bring the Ukrainian Army to battle, overmatch them with firepower, wear them down.

So, I mean, if you take exactly what you described, Ukraine will defend (and lose) podunksk, shitgrad, and other tiny towns with prewar populations of about 12 people until Christmas, at the mere cost of half of Russia's (immense) ammunition stocks landing on their conscripts.

As they say, you can spend shells or lives.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mila kunis posted:

While I'm sure this is a continuation of your bit, it has been funny seeing the media and various threads on SA slowly transform the narrative around Bakhmut from this vital bastion that Zelenskyy visited before speaking to Congress into "this is literally the least valuable place on the planet but at least we're bleeding the Russians."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
WW 2 was just a series of battles around capturing important cities that gave the holder more points

absolutely nothing happened involving villages or towns, these were all allowed to remain free

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

WW 2 was just a series of battles around capturing important cities that gave the holder more points

absolutely nothing happened involving villages or towns, these were all allowed to remain free

Hell, just about every famous American Civil War site is basically some podunk town at the junction of a few roads/railroad that both armies blundered into each other.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

some of those villages were very political during world war 2 though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe the Ukranians are doing hits? Makes more sense to murder officials than some fascist dipshit's daughter at least.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

According to a guy on twitter she's very clumsy and everybody who knows her is sad, but understands that she died doing what she loved

leaning very far out of the window

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

mila kunis posted:

did the Atla incident break you?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the spring of 1945 the typical tactical action for US forces in both Italy and Germany was to drive up to a town in a jeep, declare the military units and civil authorities there had x time to surrender, and then if it was refused or they were fired upon, fire artillery until white flags appeared.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1626506939545841664?s=20

In addition to the capture of Paraskoviivka. Russian forces have secured Hryanykivka on the Kupiansk front.

Also, Ukrainian forces have reportedly counter-attacked and pushed the Wagner troops clear of the western highway into Bakhmut.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1626664881683398656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1626639984328417280

Once that one falls, I wonder if we'll begin to see Ukrainians withdrawal from Bakhmut or if they have orders to fight to the end.