Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Crab Dad posted:

Also yeah fending off sexual assault and theft of my uniform parts.

I know that it's fun to poo poo on Crab Dad's charmed career, but this is no joke.

Over my my commissioned and midshipman career I've been assaulted three times during fleet week type engagements. Like full on groped and fondled by men and women. It loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

For the record, PCON Crab Dad would not get probated if he appended the disclaimer to his posts, and they’ve been made aware of this.

I just have a duty to ensure our lurkers’ safety.

Fwiw anyone lurking SA at this point is probably too old to join any of the armed services.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw anyone lurking SA at this point is probably too old to join any of the armed services.

I already did my time, gently caress going back in. And especially gently caress going back in at 39 :haw:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMythLegend posted:

I know that it's fun to poo poo on Crab Dad's charmed career, but this is no joke.

Over my my commissioned and midshipman career I've been assaulted three times during fleet week type engagements. Like full on groped and fondled by men and women. It loving sucks.

100% it’s literally the worst part of the whole experience. In most spaces I either don’t mention it or expect to be laughed off. I gave sailors proper warning last year and besides propositions and cheek kisses with hugs from ladies I didn’t really hear of any groping last year unlike my 2018 experience.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

For the record, PCON Crab Dad would not get probated if he appended the disclaimer to his posts, and they’ve been made aware of this.

I just have a duty to ensure our lurkers’ safety.

you want him to sign his posts? get the gently caress outa here

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ded posted:

you want him to sign his posts? get the gently caress outa here

The probes are funny.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
You know fleet week is coming up when the NEX sells out of tridents and wings, lol.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I’d have taken some passing molestation over the INSURV and other poo poo we had to do while everyone else did a fleet week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just to be very loving clear, it’s ok to dunk on crab dad for getting repeatedly assigned to fleet week and other cake assignments, it is not ok to make light of sexual assault in any form.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is this a word filter thing? I imagine a lot of veterans, particularly in the navy, experienced some kind of unwanted sexual contact during their time in service. Banning references or discussion of that factz even if its casual, doesn't really seem in line with the sex assault helpline info in the probie

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is this a word filter thing? I imagine a lot of veterans, particularly in the navy, experienced some kind of unwanted sexual contact during their time in service. Banning references or discussion of that factz even if its casual, doesn't really seem in line with the sex assault helpline info in the probie

No, its the "lol id rather be molested than do INSURV" bit

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

No, its the "lol id rather be molested than do INSURV" bit

Right - people regularly joke about " sodomy and the lash" and other dated naval phrases that likely refer to nonconsensual sexual contact between people aboard sailing vessels in earlier eras. These comments seem to be exactly in line with a phrase like Stultus used, so I'm trying to digure out exactly what the distinction is.

Ultimately I think stultus was making a joke about sexual contact and not marginalizing the molestation of children. Seemed obvious to me but that may just be me.

Edit: to be clear I don't think this is some high crime or anything - just looking for clarification

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 17, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Other than super serious stuff I simply don’t complain about the bad stuff i experience. I’ve dug poo poo out by hand from busted heads, 18+ hour watches due bad manning, away from my family for 366 days in a row and done some of the most pointless cleaning or busy work just not at the same scale as you full time kiddos because it’s not interesting or notable.
I simply like to point out the cool things i experience since it’s not the norm. I do work hard behind the scenes to develop contacts and good relations but that’s not very apparent either.
Carry on.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

Other than super serious stuff I simply don’t complain about the bad stuff i experience. I’ve dug poo poo out by hand from busted heads, 18+ hour watches due bad manning, away from my family for 366 days in a row and done some of the most pointless cleaning or busy work just not at the same scale as you full time kiddos because it’s not interesting or notable.
I simply like to point out the cool things i experience since it’s not the norm. I do work hard behind the scenes to develop contacts and good relations but that’s not very apparent either.
Carry on.

Welcome to the Chief's Mess!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Welcome to the Chief's Mess!

Don’t put that evil on me Grippy Rippy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Right - people regularly joke about " sodomy and the lash" and other dated naval phrases that likely refer to nonconsensual sexual contact between people aboard sailing vessels in earlier eras. These comments seem to be exactly in line with a phrase like Stultus used, so I'm trying to digure out exactly what the distinction is.

Ultimately I think stultus was making a joke about sexual contact and not marginalizing the molestation of children. Seemed obvious to me but that may just be me.

Edit: to be clear I don't think this is some high crime or anything - just looking for clarification

I know a high number of women that have been sexually harassed or raped either in school or on board ship with no consequences to their attackers. I constantly have to fight against the culture and started taking an extremely dim view of jokes as people want to use them to test red lines. Changing the image of sailors as hard drinking and always horny and de-normalizing the behavior is part of it even if its less fun and gets old really fast. I could be too uptight but I haven't come up with a better way yet.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

I know a high number of women that have been sexually harassed or raped either in school or on board ship with no consequences to their attackers. I constantly have to fight against the culture and started taking an extremely dim view of jokes as people want to use them to test red lines. Changing the image of sailors as hard drinking and always horny and de-normalizing the behavior is part of it even if its less fun and gets old really fast. I could be too uptight but I haven't come up with a better way yet.

This is something I spend a lot of time thinking about and it's very difficult to figure out how to turn much of what needs to be done into a policy that fits the requirement for what we expect in a policy, especially with a workforce where people are protected (rightly) from summary termination and generally aware of their rights.

The full director's cut of the Midshipman X whistleblower saga makes this abundantly clear.

On the merchant marine side the academy culture is absolutely beyond hosed and the average cadet at a lot of schools is a douchebag kid with Daddy's money driving an F350 and excited to do some regimental hazing in an essentially all white all male environment.

Edit: re alcohol I firmly believe that if Antarctica can stay wet (and hasn't even seriously considered going dry) then we shouldn't kneejerk straight to "oh you had a glass of wine at dinner ashore with your family in your home port, you criminal, license yanked!" for seamen

slurm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 17, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s just a 6 hour probation or whatever but I feel like maybe you could have simply come in here and said “hey that’s not ok” and people would understand.

But then again you don’t get to press a button and make the poster seem like a creep so what do I know.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

quote:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Is a nice big and immediate notification for lurkers of what not to do in a way a polite post is not.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

It’s just a 6 hour probation or whatever but I feel like maybe you could have simply come in here and said “hey that’s not ok” and people would understand.

But then again you don’t get to press a button and make the poster seem like a creep so what do I know.

I didn’t think I needed to say “don’t make light of sexual assault” because we’re all grown ups here. If you think that’s an issue, then you might be part of the problem.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s fine to discuss molestation - see MMM’s post. That was a fine post.

“I’d rather get molested than …” crosses a line.

And I’m linking the resources when it comes up because a lot of people don’t know how to get help when they need it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I didn’t think I needed to say “don’t make light of sexual assault” because we’re all grown ups here. If you think that’s an issue, then you might be part of the problem.

Ok if you say so.

FrozenVent posted:

“I’d rather get molested than …” crosses a line.

You could have just posted that and not made that poster seem like a creep with a probation.

Unwritten rules that no one knows about are the best rules though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Ok if you say so.

You could have just posted that and not made that poster seem like a creep with a probation.

Just to be clear, your issue here is that someone could read the poster’s rap sheet and think they were being creepy? That’s the issue here?

Also, it’s 2023. “Don’t make light of sexual assault” does not need to be written on a stone tablet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Giving away the Chief's Mess secrets here

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Just to be clear, your issue here is that someone could read the poster’s rap sheet and think they were being creepy? That’s the issue here?

Also, it’s 2023. “Don’t make light of sexual assault” does not need to be written on a stone tablet.

That and the fact it didn’t warrant a probation. A simple post of don’t do that would have been perfectly fine.

I guess it’s easier to press a button though :shrug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

As the IK, I decided it warranted a probation. File an appeal in QCS if you think I overreached.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

As the IK, I decided it warranted a probation. File an appeal in QCS if you think I overreached.

This is just cruel lmao

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
not seeing the problem here

made a wisecrack, got the lash

in keeping with the highest traditions of the us naval service

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

US Berder Patrol posted:

not seeing the problem here

made a wisecrack, got the lash

in keeping with the highest traditions of the us naval service

p much this, say stupid poo poo, win stupid prizes

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Ok if you say so.

I deeply resent that crack about probations. My rap sheet is mile long and I’m the nicest guy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
A sixer isn't an actual punishment. Q.E.D.

Sending someone to QCS though? I shudder.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

A sixer isn't an actual punishment. Q.E.D.

Sending someone to QCS though? I shudder.

QCS is gone now, it can't hurt you

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

Carry on.

:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:

I can smell the cpo dripping off this post like it's a coffee mug that hasn't been cleaned in 14 years

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MarcusSA posted:

That and the fact it didn’t warrant a probation. A simple post of don’t do that would have been perfectly fine.

Since you're new here, let me welcome you to the SomethingAwful Forums, where moderation is capricious at best, whimsical at worst, and impossible to distinguish between "arbitrary," "lazy," and "inscrutable." It's one of the defining features that literally any post can get a ban or a probe for any or no reason.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Since you're new here, let me welcome you to the SomethingAwful Forums, where moderation is capricious at best, whimsical at worst, and impossible to distinguish between "arbitrary," "lazy," and "inscrutable." It's one of the defining features that literally any post can get a ban or a probe for any or no reason.

Also joke or semi joke 6ers are common, giving a 6er is like pushing your cat off the couch

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The reason that the subforum rules are generalized with heavy dependence upon mod or IK discretion is so that we can still probate people who play bullshit "I'm not touching you!" games. If I came up with a list of slurs that aren't ok to use here, someone would bend over backwards to find a Welsh-English slur that was used for 17 minutes in the 1930s to break the spirit of the rule while still abiding by the letter.

As the warrior poet once said, "Homey don't play that." I've said before, if the rule boils down to "don't be an rear end in a top hat" and you're still arguing, then you're probably an rear end in a top hat.

If a poster thinks they're unfairly probed they're free to PM me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:

I can smell the cpo dripping off this post like it's a coffee mug that hasn't been cleaned in 14 years

Stop reading my evals.

But seriously I’m very nervous about passing. I got a lot of poo poo on my plate right now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MarcusSA posted:

It's super cool and good that we all seem to be more worried about the honor and dignity of a Something Awful poster IYOOL 2023 instead of recognizing that jokes like that are a huge part of the reason men don't report sexual assault.

But sure, go off king.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So, uh, sorry if my post came off as minimizing sexual assault.
And I understand the probe so please stop arguing about it because my dumb sixer isn't worth anyone's time to attack or defend.

And here's an explanation that I hope doesn't make things worse.

Yes I have been assaulted by men and women, not at fleet week but just in my life. Random drunk woman jamming her hand down my pants and grabbing my dick, some guy trying to tongue kiss me, that poo poo. But for me, and I was only speaking for me, if I was given a choice between cruising up to fleet week with a good chance of that poo poo happening and having to relive going from a yard period into an INSURV on a rusty poo poo rear end amphib with a psychotic CO, the latter has left more emotional scars than the former. gently caress the Navy and gently caress its abusive loving surface culture is what I'm saying.

If that post was even worse, slap me another six and I'll never talk about it again.

e: But either way please don't keep arguing over whether the previous post was probatable because that poo poo just drags down the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Crab Dad posted:

Stop reading my evals.

But seriously I’m very nervous about passing. I got a lot of poo poo on my plate right now.

What does it mean for your future as a Navy Seaman if you don’t pass? Are you at an up or out stage in your career or is it “didn’t pass today, maybe next year” deal?