Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I think it was this thread that brought up that the premise that “the cause of zombieism is actually a totally real disease with a little evolution secret sauce” has been so done to death that in 2023 it would be comparatively fresh to have literal magic behind it.
This critique has also been done to death. And who cares? Is the premise only of value if it's also novel?

Personally, I'd rather my post apocalyptic stories not have zombies at all, but if you're going to have zombies I'd much rather have a scientific fig leaf to vaguely assure the audience that things otherwise work as you'd expect, rather than figuring out the laws of magic that allowed all this to happen and wondering what other magical things are now possible in this fantasy world.

This is good to me whether or not it also makes me go "oh ho, that's clever!" as if I'm seeing the concept for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Ducking down behind a car to avoid rifle fire is second only to the all time classic that is firing back while peeking out from behind an upturned kitchen table. If I were a gun weirdo it would probably annoy me but I just find it hilarious, it's almost like a director's in-joke, like slyly inserting a Wilhelm/Howie scream.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

stev posted:

I don't know the actual answer but surely the child Clicker could've been infected a year ago when she was a slightly younger child.

I thought the same thing, but it can't have been earlier than 3 years ago when FEDRA drove all the local infested underground. Which is long enough as a zombie to wrap back around to the same question of if zombie's age or not.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how about this - malnourishment can lead to people not growing as much as they would, right? so the fungus is using up all the nutrients to develop itself, so children don't get any bigger except in the mushroom department. do they visibly age otherwise? who knows, they're covered in mushrooms.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Man I loving loved those dudes. Wish I could have gotten more Content to Hover content.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 17, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LLSix posted:

I thought the same thing, but it can't have been earlier than 3 years ago when FEDRA drove all the local infested underground. Which is long enough as a zombie to wrap back around to the same question of if zombie's age or not.

There's nothing to suggest Ish's playroom/base is that old though is there? She could have come from there or anywhere else and ended up underground with the rest.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

roomtone posted:

how about this - malnourishment can lead to people not growing as much as they would, right? so the fungus is using up all the nutrients to develop itself, so children don't get any bigger except in the mushroom department. do they visibly age otherwise? who knows, they're covered in mushrooms.

Here’s a question: how do the zombies survive without food? It’s all magic, and the moment you try to make sense of it rationally it falls apart.

In real life cordyceps fungi take over an insect and kill it within a matter of hours. If it evolved to infect humans it would cause them to spread the fungus within like 12-48 hours and then kill them.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 17, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

in real life id defeat cordyceps via stirfrying with garlic and butter and a little white wine

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jerkface posted:

in real life id defeat cordyceps via stirfrying with garlic and butter and a little white wine

Also, the screaming sound is actually just air escaping the host. It’s not suffering at all and totally can’t feel pain.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jerkface posted:

Jesus dude.

You need to grate a little fresh nutmeg in whenever you sauté mushrooms. It really brings out the umami.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I just got Joel’s Flint and Tinder trucker jacket from Huckberry delivered today. Trip report: It’s awesome, and I’m going to wear it all spring! I’ll try to put up pics later.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

navyjack posted:

I just got Joel’s Flint and Tinder trucker jacket from Huckberry delivered today. Trip report: It’s awesome, and I’m going to wear it all spring! I’ll try to put up pics later.

I just got my Ellie palm tree t-shirt from Aliexpress today. It's pretty 'meh.' You get what you pay for I guess. :lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did you know “T-shirt” is actually short for “Tyrannosaurus shirt”?

It’s because of the small arms.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

deoju posted:

I just got my Ellie palm tree t-shirt from Aliexpress today. It's pretty 'meh.' You get what you pay for I guess. :lol:

The jacket was expensive but I kind of have an outerwear fetish so it’s coming out of that budget, lol. Great quality. Heavy. Flannel inside is nice and soft. Like I said, it’s going to be great as winter turns into spring. You def want this in a zombie apocalypse. Be really hard for a clicker to bite through.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

navyjack posted:

Can you link where and what you got?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Can you link where and what you got?

https://huckberry.com/store/flint-and-tinder/category/p/55984-flannel-lined-waxed-trucker-jacket

Pretty sure Joel wears the Havana color.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Joel is seen doing hard labor and still has to smuggle drugs just to get by, and I'm supposed to believe he can afford a $300 jacket? I'm begging this show to please be more relatable

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerkface posted:

but how would you defeat cholesterol poisoning

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Joel is seen doing hard labor and still has to smuggle drugs just to get by, and I'm supposed to believe he can afford a $300 jacket? I'm begging this show to please be more relatable

He got it when the previous owner took shelter from bullets behind a car door.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ellie said her blood is medicine, then cut open her loving palm

Why do people always do that in movies when they need a blood sample? gently caress's sake, cut somewhere else, like the back of your forearm or something.

This isn't meant to jump in on the realistic/unrealistic argument. It's just loving stupid when characters do that

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I think it’s because it looks cool

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an easy place to hide the blood packet when doing practical effects.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Why do people always do that in movies when they need a blood sample? gently caress's sake, cut somewhere else, like the back of your forearm or something.

This isn't meant to jump in on the realistic/unrealistic argument. It's just loving stupid when characters do that

It annoys me too, because hands are big old bags of very sensitive nerves that you also use for everything practical, one of the worst places to have a cut.

However they also bleed like a motherfucker for the same reason a cut there hurts more than on your arm or wherever. In a lot of these scenarios they’re trying to get a lot of blood quickly onto the satanic altar/sexy vampire/legal document/whatever. Hands (and heads) have absolute poo poo loads of blood in them so you get a lot bleeding from relatively light and non-debilitating wounds.

And if there are trade-offs at that point we’re just arguing about if characters bleed correctly which isn’t a very productive debate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It would be a very bad idea for a well informed person trying to practically extract their own blood to cut open their palms. Other fiction where that happens and people should know better is silly, as you say.

Ellie is a child using child logic. It is stupid. She is not being presented as doing a smart thing.

Honestly, that just makes it more poignant to me. It was a really tough scene. I was watching with someone who was beginning to say "oh, they better not have it work like that," like the show was in danger of getting really silly with magic blood. And I just said, "No, of course it's not going to work," already mourning the kid and feeling really sad at Ellie's impossible hope.

The fact that she cut herself in a sub-optimal place was a small part of that feeling, and definitely not something to take issue with in this show.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

smug n stuff posted:

I think it’s because it looks cool

Platystemon posted:

It’s an easy place to hide the blood packet when doing practical effects.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It annoys me too, because hands are big old bags of very sensitive nerves that you also use for everything practical, one of the worst places to have a cut.

However they also bleed like a motherfucker for the same reason a cut there hurts more than on your arm or wherever. In a lot of these scenarios they’re trying to get a lot of blood quickly onto the satanic altar/sexy vampire/legal document/whatever. Hands (and heads) have absolute poo poo loads of blood in them so you get a lot bleeding from relatively light and non-debilitating wounds.

And if there are trade-offs at that point we’re just arguing about if characters bleed correctly which isn’t a very productive debate.

Eiba posted:

It would be a very bad idea for a well informed person trying to practically extract their own blood to cut open their palms. Other fiction where that happens and people should know better is silly, as you say.

Ellie is a child using child logic. It is stupid. She is not being presented as doing a smart thing.

Honestly, that just makes it more poignant to me. It was a really tough scene. I was watching with someone who was beginning to say "oh, they better not have it work like that," like the show was in danger of getting really silly with magic blood. And I just said, "No, of course it's not going to work," already mourning the kid and feeling really sad at Ellie's impossible hope.

The fact that she cut herself in a sub-optimal place was a small part of that feeling, and definitely not something to take issue with in this show.

All fair points. I withdraw the complaint (in this case!!)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

All fair points. I withdraw the complaint (in this case!!)

no you're right, it is incredibly stupid as hell. was even her dominant hand right? what she'd use for her pistol, for anything really, let me just slap this baby on the fresh bloody ooze wound that is a clear sign of the virus has destroyed the entire world. but its ok i have magic blood. high five.

please resubmit your gripe for the record

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I am literally begging you. if you watch this show for a simulation of the most tactically sound thing to do, where every action is calculated ahead of time and no motion is wasted and the gun poo poo is entirely accurate, please just hit the ejector button now. It's not the show for you.

No zombie show is the show for you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The cut to the palm is another example of a cliche that, in my opinion, makes the show slightly worse. It's still a good show, the use of cliches doesn't ruin it, but it is still bad.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 18, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LividLiquid posted:

I am literally begging you. if you watch this show for a simulation of the most tactically sound thing to do, where every action is calculated ahead of time and no motion is wasted and the gun poo poo is entirely accurate, please just hit the ejector button now. It's not the show for you.

No zombie show is the show for you.

.22 LR is the best bullet because it bounces around in the zombie’s skull.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chamale posted:

The cut to the palm is another example of a cliche that, in my opinion, makes the show slightly worse. It's still a good show, the use of cliches doesn't ruin it, but it is still bad.

Just watch a documentary if it bothers you.

Realism is not the only valid kind of art.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Chamale posted:

Yeah I'm not bothered by any of the other realism stuff, but every time I see someone do that it really gets under my skin. It's so uncomfortable to watch someone cut one of their most sensitive, must impractical areas just to get some blood out. It's like if I had to watch a scene where someone needed a few drops of their blood and so they chose to take a razor and make a slash right on their eyeball, like NOOOO WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP WHY THERE??? And it happens over and over in so many shows! Ugh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe the characters grew up seeing it in TV and movies (or comic books, I guess), so they slash their palms instinctively.

Makes you think.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would cut myself like Billy in Predator

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So unrealistic and inefficient, I would just punch myself in the kidneys so I could piss my blood into/against whatever is required.
:goonsay:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The true master’s technique is to ascend to the highest seats of a stadium (if in American media) or think sexual thoughts (if in Japanese media) so as to trigger painless and profuse bleeding from the nose.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The only place it kinda made sense was DS9 with the blood tests, because they literally have magic space healing tech called dermal regenerators that are basically non-painful skin-welders.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They do it in Stranger Things season 1 too. But they don't completely ignore it going forward, Jonathan and Nancy compare their scars in season 2.

I'd just like to see Ellie have a bandage on her hand at the start of the next episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a really funny subplot about a dude who cuts the back of his hand in Evil.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Chamale posted:

I knew someone who did that in real life because he was a stupid kid and saw it on TV or something. The use of cliches really puts a damper on reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hobo Clown posted:

I just can't get into the show unless they show the scene where he orders the jacket and splits the payments across multiple credit cards, then realizes some of those are already maxed out and has to shop around until he finds an online store that will sell it to him in instalments without any interest. And they never even show the detailed shipping and payment information on the website. It doesn't ruin the show but it definitely makes it worse.