Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that's why i made a joke about people being made to do stuff in their pants

in case it wasn't clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rq4mnrTjex1s1ddrj_720.mp4

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah confined space as far as I know is stuff like "there is no ventilation down here so you need to make sure you can breathe so we don't get a conga line of people dying trying to retrieve the previous guy who died in the airless hole"

Was it in this thread I went down a rabbit hole about this happening on ships, in confined spaces where the rust eats all the oxygen?

I didn't like that.

Rope access is fun though, for those that like that kind of thing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
curtain twichers and busybodies have their place in society. i have a neighbour nearby who is a not insignificant influence on mrs norman but i know nobody is going to try my windows while i'm at work or whatever and she takes in parcels for me - admittedly probably to have a good shake of them and speculate about what's in them, but i still appreciate it. what you don't do is try to reshape society wholesale by giving those people power over others, they already have a lottery called jury service for that :mad:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dabir posted:

Let me be clear: Our policy is to be firm but fair in cracking down on (continues for 94 minutes sweatily trying his best not to say he wants to take kids away from their parents )

Edging but for politicians

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why sports coaches? Just imagining giving PE teachers the powers of judges, seems like the fastest route to fascism.

It's 100% about the optics, that's the sort of detail that appeals to grumpy old pensioners who hate the young.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah confined space as far as I know is stuff like "there is no ventilation down here so you need to make sure you can breathe so we don't get a conga line of people dying trying to retrieve the previous guy who died in the airless hole"

Also frankly I adore the idea of being as bureaucratic as possible in the name of not exposing people to asbestos. Actually doing something worthwhile with my time like "stopping people breathing cancer air" rather than trying to maximise their consumption of overpriced snacks sounds like a step up. I already have to deal with lovely managers except I am currently a peon so I'm not allowed to tell them where to go.

Also I may or may not know a demolition site manager who is very strict about health and safety so I can ask for tips.

Sounds like your heart's pulling in a certain direction, Owlie

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dead Goon posted:

The Starmer Project by Oliver Eagleton is worth a read to get an idea of the poo poo Kieth did as DPP.

Spolier: None of it was good.

I have a copy of this that sebzilla sent me, so if anyone would like to read it when I'm done, let me know and I can post it on.

It's taking me a while to read because it's loving depressing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dabir posted:

Let me be clear: Our policy is to be firm but fair in cracking down on (continues for 94 minutes sweatily trying his best not to say he wants to take kids away from their parents )

lol i’m imagining the tory attack ad where they splice this speech with pictures of him palling around with jimmy savile

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Overseeing asbestos removal? Sounds like a job for someone used to dealing with a toxic posting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Sounds like your heart's pulling in a certain direction, Owlie

It is, honestly. The idea of changing jobs is very daunting and I need to speak with them to get a read on what exactly they'll be wanting from me and what will be compensated, if they want me to drive four hours a day to remote sites and won't be paying me for it they can gently caress off. But there was talk of possibly something like a 30k per year income once trained which would be very helpful. I've never done a "normal" job where I'm not working more or less entirely independently. I don't think I've seen my current boss since before the pandemic. So a more regimented environment in terms of showing up at specific times for longer hours, is daunting, but it's hard to turn down good money when it would make so much difference.

And yeah honestly it does have a draw in that I've lost count of the amount of poo poo people I've worked with, get put through by bloody managers and corporate types just expecting them to shoulder the risk all the time. If I could be on the other side of that, telling people that no, actually, you can't just piss about and put everyone at risk, that would probably be very emotionally rewarding. I already have to travel around to sites and deal with managers so I'm both generally good at it and also very much willing to tell them to go to hell if I actually have the authority and reason to do so, if they're proposing putting their workers at risk. If I can do a job that means someone, somewhere, gets to spend a few more years with their family and loved ones, or without being tied to an oxygen mask, that really does appeal to me. I've had family suffer with respiratory diseases and they're loving horrible.

I've spent the last week or so trying to psych myself up to it basically. So cheers thread for confirming I at least seem to have the idea of what it entails something like correct.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 17, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I've seen a couple of those US chemical safety board videos about that kinda thing yeah. Industry is loving dangerous.
One of the low-key worst sentences I ever read was from one of those where that scenario happened on I think a mushroom farm - someone went into the hole and got overcome, another guy went in after them, rinse and repeat. Four or five people died and two more were pulled out alive by the emergency services but 'left with disabilities', which weren't specified. A lot of the workers at the facility were immigrants from SE Asia and communication issues played a part in what happened, so part of the report specified what languages each person involved spoke. For the two who got got pulled out, it had 'prior to the incident, he could speak Hmong and English to an intermediate level'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just imagining giving PE teachers the powers of judges, seems like the fastest route to fascism.
Come on lads, you can go fasher than that!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Bobstar posted:

Was it in this thread I went down a rabbit hole about this happening on ships, in confined spaces where the rust eats all the oxygen?

Any steel tank without ventilation will become an inert space with a bit of water and some time. Old water tanks and so on get people occasionally. On ships they deliberately inert spaces to stop even worse things happening, but that's only because the sea is inherently Lovecraftian.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
court was delayed indefinitely because judge kickyfootballerson had to chainsmoke in their office while drunkenly staring at a wall for a few months rather than do anything

two of my pe teachers went like this

and the chemistry teacher had been like that for decades so the rumours went

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1626552319918632960

people gonna be sentenced to doing stuff in their pants

In addition to the other points made, secondary school teachers on average have a 55-hour working week last time I looked.
In the continued absence of any kind of plan for reducing that from Labour, when exactly are they going to find the time to sit on this kind of panel?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The human body is remarkably unhappy in low-oxygen environments and will go from unconsciousness to irreversible brain damage to death in a remarkably short number of breaths. You'd think that as people can hold their breath for a minute or two with no ill effects, they'd equally be able to breathe in air lacking oxygen for a bit with no ill effects, but nope.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm convinced that reality broke in a permanent way when Gazza turned up at the Raoul Moat standoff with some beers, KFC and fishing rods.

Nothing since then leads me to believe that the writers of the UK soap opera haven't been taking some very strong hallucinogens.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

crispix posted:

it's like it never stopped being 2005 with these people

The only thing more exciting than making it 2012 again is making it 2005 again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHSw5SzlEg&t=1449s

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's how people are always getting killed walking back into house fires. They notice the fire and correctly flee the house, then think: "actually it wasn't that bad, I'll just nip back in to grab my phone"; half an hour later, the fire brigade are dragging their corpses out.

(The smoke displaces the oxygen in the air, a fact that isn't immediately apparent until demonstrated empirically.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

biglads posted:

I'm convinced that reality broke in a permanent way when Gazza turned up at the Raoul Moat standoff with some beers, KFC and fishing rods.
There's a mad theory online that when the large hadron collider was turned on, we started merging with gradually odder and odder alternate timelines and honestly the more news happens the more I can kind of see where they're coming from.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

there was supposed to be dragons come out though

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a mad theory online that when the large hadron collider was turned on, we started merging with gradually odder and odder alternate timelines and honestly the more news happens the more I can kind of see where they're coming from.

Given that LHC was turned on 10th September 2008 and the Lehman Brothers collapse (first visible major event of the global financial crisis) started on 15th September 2008 you might have something there :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gematria of LHC is 21, GFC is 16, 21 - 16 is 5, which is the number of days between Large Hadron Collider and Global Financial Crisis :tinfoil: :mason:

Endjinneer posted:

Old water tanks and so on get people occasionally.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

DesperateDan posted:

court was delayed indefinitely because judge kickyfootballerson had to chainsmoke in their office while drunkenly staring at a wall for a few months rather than do anything

two of my pe teachers went like this

and the chemistry teacher had been like that for decades so the rumours went

Biology teacher at ours. The PE teachers were more of the "infinitely angry seething ball of suppressed rage" kind. Or the other thing.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Extremely relevant to us in these febrile times: America's Finest Only News Source continues to never miss

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1626631349003030528

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Pistol_Pete posted:

The human body is remarkably unhappy in low-oxygen environments and will go from unconsciousness to irreversible brain damage to death in a remarkably short number of breaths. You'd think that as people can hold their breath for a minute or two with no ill effects, they'd equally be able to breathe in air lacking oxygen for a bit with no ill effects, but nope.

That's because lungs rely on passive diffusion rather than actively moving oxygen from air to blood. If you hold your breath then oxygen levels in lung and blood run down slowly in tandem, whereas if you take a few big breaths of say nitrogen the diffusion works just as well in reverse and whatever remaining oxygen that was in your blood leaves.
The part of the body which detects changes in blood gasses is your brain, which is a bit like having a smoke alarm that warns you by shooting its batteries out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

That's because lungs rely on passive diffusion rather than actively moving oxygen from air to blood. If you hold your breath then oxygen levels in lung and blood run down slowly in tandem, whereas if you take a few big breaths of say nitrogen the diffusion works just as well in reverse and whatever remaining oxygen that was in your blood leaves.
The part of the body which detects changes in blood gasses is your brain, which is a bit like having a smoke alarm that warns you by shooting its batteries out.

Plus your brain only really cares about high levels of CO2, low levels of O2 it's like "yeah this will probably be fine"

This is why we were never allowed ride in the lift with the big barrels of liquid nitrogen, a little spill of that could displace a lot of breathable air real fast, and you would bypass panic and go straight to dead

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you're not supposed to stick your head down the bottom of the manhole to chisel out an opening but I did it anyway, never did me any harm.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're not supposed to stick your head down the bottom of the manhole to chisel out an opening but I did it anyway, never did me any harm.

Every one of your housebuilding thread posts is like that diagram of the WW2 airplane with the bullet holes in it. That's what makes it so fascinating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plus your brain only really cares about high levels of CO2, low levels of O2 it's like "yesah this with opronasbly bef ine"
fizxerdf tghan for yuo

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why sports coaches? Just imagining giving PE teachers the powers of judges, seems like the fastest route to fascism noncing.

Less of a correction than an addendum here

Seriously what loving insanity is this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

biglads posted:

Nothing since then leads me to believe that the writers of the UK soap opera haven't been taking some very strong hallucinogens.

personally I've come round to the idea that the large hadron collider should have never been turned on

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bobby Deluxe posted:

dang it of course I got efbed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

personally I've come round to the idea that the large hadron collider should have never been turned on

The problem is someone came round equally as fast in the opposite direction

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait wait wait has NJAN99 been grovering this whole time

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dabir posted:

Wait wait wait has NJAN99 been grovering this whole time

And how!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999215&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/clickbaitrobot/status/1626726459866849281?s=46&t=YaEU36SZhoaUYnowdQmdJw

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Google Jeb Bush posted:

dang it of course I got efbed
whats really going to bake your noodle is that we might later merge with the reality where you got there first :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The world ended in 2012, we're in hell now.