Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can only assume some of this Anna discussion is made for maddening.
I had no problem bringing up Anna alongside everyone else. Micaiah made leveling trivially easy in the early game.

As for bumping into caps on Bow Knight, when is that a bad thing? I haven't hit it yet, having completed chapter 18, and she's one of my best player phase units with the Radiant bow. I guess when she does hit the cap, I would be losing out on some growth, but if I moved her into a mage class, the very best spell I can stick on her is still one less power, and something I would have to buy, and she wouldn't be able to use bows or axes (unless I crammed her into Mage Knight, I guess).

It's a case where I think ramming the cap absolutely doesn't matter. She'd maybe be a little better with Thoron, but almost certainly worse with everything else.

Enemies can only get so dead, anyhow.

Bow Knight magic cap is 23, so you're looking at a maximum magic attack of like 42-45 with a Radiant bow based on forge level. And that's honestly pretty middling/bad by endgame and won't even be killing Generals or Great Knights before then because you're lacking in raw damage output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, to be fair, Warrior Anna has a Magic cap of 21 so it's not like it's better than Bow Knight for raw numbers. People go for Warrior over Bow Knight for chain attacks, not a higher Mag cap.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I think in addition to letting you change your units’ in-battle appearances, the one new game plus feature they should add is letting you access all outfits unlocked before. Like Elusia’s level 5 donation outfit looks kinda cool but when the only other thing you get out of that is a single-use staff, the drip just isn’t worth it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

everyone says Alear is the normal one when in fact he/she is the biggest psycho of them all

Hey a thousand year coma will do that to you!

FrickenMoron posted:

I went all in on her on my Maddening run and she's my dire thunder bot now in endgame. Not amazing but made me at least 25k over the run so that was worth it.

I still haven't gotten to respec her to mage but atleast you get some awesome support stuff from Lady Anna.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Bow Knight magic cap is 23, so you're looking at a maximum magic attack of like 42-45 with a Radiant bow based on forge level. And that's honestly pretty middling/bad by endgame and won't even be killing Generals or Great Knights before then because you're lacking in raw damage output.

Thinking about it some more, I think I'm also just generally a little cooler on the "high magic character in a physical class with a magical weapon" thing than others.

Like, take the common example of Griffin Knight Chloe with a Levin Sword. At endgame, with a +5 Levin Sword, she's sitting around 38 total magic attack. That's not great. I feel like in the late game I'd rather shoot down fliers with a Killer Bow and leave the Generals and Great Knights to my actual mages like Ivy, Citrinne, and Veyle. And if I'm going to use a Levin Sword I'd rather give it to a Mage Knight with an actual Magic stat.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 17, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zore posted:

I guess I am just mildly surprised that it's expected for me to gain ten to twenty more points of attack on my units. I assumed there were less than ten chapters left.

I suppose if caps actually do become an issue , that's why God invented the Second Seal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harrow posted:

Thinking about it some more, I think I'm also just generally a little cooler on the "high magic character in a physical class with a magical weapon" thing than others.

Like, take the common example of Griffin Knight Chloe with a Levin Sword. At endgame, with a +5 Levin Sword, she's sitting around 38 total magic attack. That's not great. I feel like in the late game I'd rather shoot down fliers with a Killer Bow and leave the Generals and Great Knights to my actual mages like Ivy, Citrinne, and Veyle. And if I'm going to use a Levin Sword I'd rather give it to a Mage Knight with an actual Magic stat.

Yeah, I think it's backwards to view magic weapons as a primary source of offensive power. If you have someone who's really good at using a Levin Sword, if all you're after is raw magic power they'll get a lot more oomph out of Bolganone.

The use case for magic weapons on physical classes is that they offer a lot of flexibility. Especially on maddening, frequently purely physical attacks from all but the very strongest physical characters will basically bounce off enemy generals or great knights - being able to whip out a Levin Sword or Radiant Bow to do a huge chunk of their life instead is very useful. I actually shifted Yunaka to Wolf Knight specifically because she has similar magic to Merrin and Merrin's Levin Sword usage is occasionally very useful, especially since "killing Armors" is basically the only thing daggers can't do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

10/7 Warrior Anna has 9 Mag. 17/1 Warrior Fogado has 7 Mag. Even if you literally only care about Radiant Bow, 17/1 Cupido Fogado has 9 Mag and has 3 Spd over Anna, and Anna has less Spd growth than Fogado. Anna is in no way better than Fogado on Maddening.

I will grant you that it's easier for Anna to hit one-shot Flier range with Radiant Bow eventually assuming level parity, but you can't assume that without Micaiah anymore since Warrior Fogado will actually be able to kill a lot more stuff and gain a lot more EXP because he has better Str, Spd and Bld. And a sufficiently forged Radiant Bow will one-shot lategame fliers with Fogado's Mag anyway.

I assumed all things being equal on classes between them for the comparative because I noted that I don't think the loss of backup is worth mov.

Apologies on the +8 calc though, was running off my memory. But she's still +4 on the units that count
immediately and the gap gets much much wider.

The moment Anna gets her hands on Radiant bow every flier in the game is dead. It's trivial for her to keep up from that point. So you have a small pain point during Solm and from then she's coasting.

The things she does to Roy's map are disgusting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I assumed all things being equal on classes between them for the comparative because I noted that I don't think the loss of backup is worth mov.

Apologies on the +8 calc though, was running off my memory. But she's still +4 on the units that count
immediately and the gap gets much much wider.

The moment Anna gets her hands on Radiant bow every flier in the game is dead. It's trivial for her to keep up from that point. So you have a small pain point during Solm and from then she's coasting.

The things she does to Roy's map are disgusting.

Apologies, where do you get her doing +4 immediately? At the point you get the first radiant bow, assuming 10/7 Warrior Anna and 17/1 Warrior Fogado, Anna has 2 more magic than Fogado in exchange for 2 less speed. The gap only widens to Anna having 4 more magic by the time Anna is 10/13(where she has 12 mag) and Fogado is 17/6(where he has 8). At the same point he's up on her by 3 points in strength and 2 speed(and half the fliers in the game have equal or more res than def because they're griffins).

Anna will unquestionably shoot a radiant bow harder than Fogado over time(assuming that Fogado's superior speed doesn't give him a double threshold that Anna can't reach), but the gap is not yawning.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 17, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
All right, here's today's (somehow) controversial Fire Emblem opinion: Utility pieces actually really are good pieces.

Both Anna and Fogado are competent with the Radiant Bow, but the game gives you a handful of competent mages, and giving the bow to Anna was much more interesting, and it turned her into a small God for the first several maps thereafter, and also it was really, really funny watching her absolutely Roadhouse Ike in the Arena.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

All right, here's today's (somehow) controversial Fire Emblem opinion: Utility pieces actually really are good pieces.

Both Anna and Fogado are competent with the Radiant Bow, but the game gives you a handful of competent mages, and giving the bow to Anna was much more interesting, and it turned her into a small God for the first several maps thereafter, and also it was really, really funny watching her absolutely Roadhouse Ike in the Arena.

If you're talking about flexibility, the thing is that Warrior Anna is *less* of a utility piece than Warrior Fogado, because Fogado offers very competent physical bow usage while also being decent with the radiant bow while Anna is pretty bad at using physical bows but is more specialized for the radiant bow.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You guys are talking about Stat spreads and I'm still going "should I make this named weapon a +2" :birdthunk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What can I say, I like numbers

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Meanwhile I’m doing stupid poo poo on my Maddening run such as General Alear and the Furry Brigade (3 Wolf Knights). Once I realised the stupid poo poo you could do with the 3H Trio bracelet, my Zelkov got MVP for the next two maps, finally taking the throne from Warrior Jean + Lyn.

If you do go Warrior Jean, I have found that he has the issue of dying if the enemy looks at him funny. My game also loves having him get oneshot by 5% crits.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Veryslightlymad posted:

I guess I am just mildly surprised that it's expected for me to gain ten to twenty more points of attack on my units. I assumed there were less than ten chapters left.

I suppose if caps actually do become an issue , that's why God invented the Second Seal.

Caps become an issue when your cap is like 20 points under a sane cap

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^^Edit
The General RES cap is loving dyer. And Diamant's dex cap is a cruel joke.

Kanos posted:

If you're talking about flexibility, the thing is that Warrior Anna is *less* of a utility piece than Warrior Fogado, because Fogado offers very competent physical bow usage while also being decent with the radiant bow while Anna is pretty bad at using physical bows but is more specialized for the radiant bow.

It seems to me like it's nearly the same utility, only in reverse.

Can't put an exact number on any figures, though. I left my Anna in Axe Fighter and promoted, uh... Fairly late? Most of my units promoted around 17 instead of 10. And her Magic was high enough compared to Fogado's starting number that I made her a bow knight specifically to use the bow which comes on the map where he joins.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
gotta also love Berserkers who are tied with Mages for lowest Def cap, tied with Generals for lowest Res cap, tied with Diamant for lowest Skill cap, tied with Warriors for lowest Luk cap and 3rd lowest speed cap after Generals and Great Knights.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you class change into a class you've already exceeded the cap for do you drop to the cap? Or do you drop a certain amount and just stop gaining points?

And if it does lower your actual score, what happens if you change back? Do the points come back, or have they vanished?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you class change into a class you've already exceeded the cap for do you drop to the cap? Or do you drop a certain amount and just stop gaining points?

And if it does lower your actual score, what happens if you change back? Do the points come back, or have they vanished?

So characters have 2 stats that are added together to get the stats you see on the screen, their personal stats and the class base stats. When you class change it only changes the class base stats. Personal stats are their base stats plus anything they get via level up.

So if the combination of the two overflows a stat cap, say you change Lapis into a General, General will have its speed capped. However, if you then change her to another class it remembers what her actual personal stats are and will apply them to her new class.

Like take this example

Lets say Lapis has 22 speed as a Swordmaster. 11 of that is the Swordmaster's base speed and the other 11 is her personal speed. If she reclassed to General she would immediately have 11 speed and be capped. If you then changed her to, say, Halberdier she would have 18 speed because it has 7 base which would be added to her 11 personal speed. If you change her back to Swordmaster she would be back to 22 speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

gotta also love Berserkers who are tied with Mages for lowest Def cap, tied with Generals for lowest Res cap, tied with Diamant for lowest Skill cap, tied with Warriors for lowest Luk cap and 3rd lowest speed cap after Generals and Great Knights.

As much as I have talked about single-weapon classes in general needing some help, Berserker is definitely the only one I'd call outright bad. I have no idea why they designed it like they did.

All of the other ones have something that makes them at least decent. Swordmasters have the Dex and Spd to be dodge tanks or tear poo poo up with a Killing Edge while looking very cool. (Could other classes do it better? Maybe, but Swordmasters still do just fine and will look the coolest doing it.) Halberdiers have Pincer Attack, which lets you guarantee doubles for a really slow and strong unit with a little bit of positioning (and, like Swordmasters, they look cool as hell). Snipers have Brave Bow access, which can be nice for a high-Strength archer like Etie, and their class skill isn't too bad either. Paladins have... uh... okay maybe they suck too, but at least they have better caps than Berserker.

But Berserker? Just nothing at all to recommend it, and it has one of the more useless class skills on top of that. In a game without Warrior, Sniper would be pretty solid, but Berserker would still suck.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 17, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

I think there’s just too many classes at the end of the day. None of the promotions come from the same base, whereas before Hero would be a promotion for both Fighter and Mercenary. Between that doubling the classes and there being like 10 unique classes, all the bloat means certain classes falling to the wayside is inevitable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Berserker is the only class in which Pannette can unleash her full Halloween goth glory. Everything else about the class being poo poo clearly does nothing to outweigh this because there is no way I will ever reclass her.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Berserker is the only class in which Pannette can unleash her full Halloween goth glory. Everything else about the class being poo poo clearly does nothing to outweigh this because there is no way I will ever reclass her.

This is easily solved

Mod the game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean you could just as easily mod the game to make berserker a better class, what does that prove?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd say it's highly likely that we'll get a "use outfits wherever as long as it's not in cutscenes" patch at some point, like how Three Houses and Hopes let you toggle between war phase/academy phase or unique outfit/class outfit. They put this entire outfit system in the game and there's zero incentive to ever use it outside of wandering by people in the Somniel for two seconds.

Veryslightlymad posted:

It seems to me like it's nearly the same utility, only in reverse.

Can't put an exact number on any figures, though. I left my Anna in Axe Fighter and promoted, uh... Fairly late? Most of my units promoted around 17 instead of 10. And her Magic was high enough compared to Fogado's starting number that I made her a bow knight specifically to use the bow which comes on the map where he joins.

Your Anna was probably a bit above averages - by averages, a 17 axe fighter Anna promoting into bow knight has a whopping 1 more magic than 17/1 cupido Fogado, or 3 more magic than a 17/1 warrior Fogado.

Bow Knight also kills any ability for her to contribute physical bow shots because its strength is complete trash(to the point of being actually overtaken by magic after ten levels or so), so you're fully committing to the radiant bow at that point.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Chapter 25 maddening done! Needed to really, really hurry up with warps early on and push aggressively through enemies, taking risks. If you don't move every turn the reinforcements will start to spawn and box you in. You want to get into the upper corridor asap and flame wall it off.

- Thief on the right side got entrapped, one tile away from opening the door.
- Remainig 2 entrap charges were used to warp the mage and priests on the tiles next to the boss down to my group and murder them
- Dismantling the lizards and the boss is no issue, just charging ahead through the rather tough physical fighters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're willing to go even cheesier, you can underdeploy so that nobody is on the right half, and use Micaiah to get your entire army up to the boss area by turn two, completely skipping fighting everything in both side rooms. You need a plan to either kill both thieves or win before the flood of enemies reaches you; neither is particularly difficult though

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't know what kind of stats you need though to survive that on Maddening, or would you just abuse bonded shield?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't know what kind of stats you need though to survive that on Maddening, or would you just abuse bonded shield?

It was pretty easy, I thought. On turn one, I just warped two people--Alear and someone else. Engage+ gave them both +60 avoid, resulting in a very high chance of survival, and they picked one enemy off each, while baiting the other enemies into favorable positions on the enemy phase and dealing some damage to them. On turn two, I rewarped the other people up and cleared out all the enemies that move. There's very few enemies in the boss area with moving AI, the vast majority of them just stand still like idiots and mostly exist to slow you down.

e: I might have using goddess dance on turn two? I don't remember. it would definitely give you enough actions.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 17, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just beat the game. On hard, so my opinions on balance probably don't matter. But I will say that upgrading Emblem weapons is ungodly expensive for no discernable reason. Do they really expect people to be grinding Tempest Trials forever for marginal upgrades? But if you don't upgrade them, the Emblem weapons fall behind pretty quickly, which especially hurts people like Leif whose Engage Attacks use their own weapons only. It's just a weird way to handle things.

Also should get like 2-3 times as much SP as you do so you can have fun and mess around with builds.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hey

What’s your favorite remix?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
leifs paralogue. ain't even heard the original

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Something about the music in Roy's paralogue hits my brain just right

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Just beat the game. On hard, so my opinions on balance probably don't matter. But I will say that upgrading Emblem weapons is ungodly expensive for no discernable reason. Do they really expect people to be grinding Tempest Trials forever for marginal upgrades? But if you don't upgrade them, the Emblem weapons fall behind pretty quickly, which especially hurts people like Leif whose Engage Attacks use their own weapons only. It's just a weird way to handle things.

Also should get like 2-3 times as much SP as you do so you can have fun and mess around with builds.

I think the Emblem weapon grind is solely for weird postgame tempest trial/pvp number flexing, because you need to do an utterly insane amount of trials/relays to meaningfully grind multiple weapons.

The emblem weapons that have unique effects or enormously lopsided stats generally keep up okay, but yeah the more "standard" weapons really just fall off a cliff.

I agree on SP. There's a whole lot of skills that are situationally useful but no one is ever going to invest in because buying them pushes you away from big ticket skills that consume a huge majority of your total SP pie on any given character like Speedtaker, Dual Assist+, Canter, etc. and it's kind of a shame.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I usually liked the remixes less than the original chiptunes, but they're pretty much all good

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Hey

What’s your favorite remix?

I like the Ike one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

leifs paralogue. ain't even heard the original

It's this. Say what you want about the Emblem, his theme is a banger.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gotta go with Corrin's, mostly because my first thought upon hearing it was that I was somehow still sick of the Lost in Thought, All Alone leitmotif, but then I had several subsequent thoughts about it being a bop.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The +4 is because of the double damage on flying. To me as that widens to a +8 on enemy pieces that you absolutely cannot double unless you're using Lyn, Anna becomes far more valuable.

My archers doing physical damage on Maddening is basically not something I care about since they're not one rounding anything grounded no matter what and almost everything I have kills in two rounds. They're there to cause backup attacks and to shoot down fliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm reasonably certain that the formula for effective weapons is that the might of the weapon triples, not that atk doubles. Multiplying weapon might has been the formula in every game except heroes. (It's possible I'm misunderstanding what you're saying)