Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aipsh posted:

Can't wait to report on the mouth feel of the PSVR

It's like I'm really inside an actual mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Secretly, I don't judge you for putting your dualsense in your mouth. I get it.

It makes sense! Haptics are vibrations! You feel them better through your teeth!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pulcinella posted:

Stupid message really does makes me want to get a UPS just so my game console
Won’t berate me. I live in a 3rd world country (Texas) so power outages have become quite common lately.
I live in Louisiana and having mine hooked up to a UPS makes me feel so much more at ease, especially during hurricane season.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

This post gave me PTSD flashbacks, thanks man nurse!!!!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

butt dickus posted:

modern electronics don't care about power loss

While this is generally true for the actual hardware, what the PS5 is warning you to avoid is disk corruption from losing power in the middle of a write, which may cause data loss or require a reformat even if it's still 100% functional

There are ways to counter this like file system journaling but they cost performance so may not be suitable for a game console marketed on I/O numbers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst was the green screen bug. I used to get it occasionally. You'll pull your PS5 out of rest mode beep beep beep, screen is green. Absolutely nothing works, cant turn it off, restart. The thing seems totally broken until you manually unplug it and it restarts normally. Happened to me upwards to 10 times and the first time I was like "nooooooo"

I think they fixed whatever was causing it though because I havent had it happen in at least a year and a half.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

I live in Louisiana

this explains so much

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

man nurse posted:

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

My parrot does a 100% perfect imitation of the PS5 startup beep. Whenever I go to my gaming lair (with or without him) he starts making that noise

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was lucky enough to get a PS5 at launch via Sony chosen one invite, but I got kind of a bunk unit because it will freeze without fail within minutes if you’re using the Home Screen without a game running. As long as you’re playing or running something, it’s usually completely fine.

Sometimes the crashes would hardlock the console so bad that the only thing you could do was yank out the power. I became intimately familiar with getting yelled at by the console during this time.

I’m a dumb dumb and didn’t send it back to Sony during the warranty, because I didn’t want to jump through hoops to get them to take it and I also didn’t want to be bereft of my PlayStation at the time, so I’ve just been rolling with it until a major hardware revision or whatever comes out and I decide to trade up. Like I said, the thing technically works, it just has to be running a game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

this explains so much
This is me IRL

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rageaholic posted:

This is me IRL

maybe challenge a smaller rooster next time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

man nurse posted:

I was lucky enough to get a PS5 at launch via Sony chosen one invite, but I got kind of a bunk unit because it will freeze without fail within minutes if you’re using the Home Screen without a game running. As long as you’re playing or running something, it’s usually completely fine.

Sometimes the crashes would hardlock the console so bad that the only thing you could do was yank out the power. I became intimately familiar with getting yelled at by the console during this time.

I’m a dumb dumb and didn’t send it back to Sony during the warranty, because I didn’t want to jump through hoops to get them to take it and I also didn’t want to be bereft of my PlayStation at the time, so I’ve just been rolling with it until a major hardware revision or whatever comes out and I decide to trade up. Like I said, the thing technically works, it just has to be running a game.

I haven't had a hard lock on mine in a long long time so I suspect it was a software thing. Have you tried getting in on the current beta program? I mean it could still be hardware but it's worth investigating.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't had a hard lock on mine in a long long time so I suspect it was a software thing. Have you tried getting in on the current beta program? I mean it could still be hardware but it's worth investigating.

I’ve done everything short of sending it in, including their “download and install the system software from the ground up”. No amount of fresh starts or factory resets or system updates has changed it.

It’s very odd because like I said I can leave the thing on for literally days on end running a game and it’ll be rock solid. But boy howdy, it does not want you to browse the home menu without something running.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Is the dualsense touchpad button supposed to have sort of a crunchiness when you press down on it or is mine hosed up? Playing Resident Evil Village right now and whenever I press the button to bring up the map there are always a few clicks as it compresses. I can't remember if it was ever different.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My ps5 asks me to set the screen size for my TV borders quite a bit, like twice a week.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Rental Sting posted:

Is the dualsense touchpad button supposed to have sort of a crunchiness when you press down on it or is mine hosed up? Playing Resident Evil Village right now and whenever I press the button to bring up the map there are always a few clicks as it compresses. I can't remember if it was ever different.

This is not normal, no. Maybe you got some grit or sediment under the touchpad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

Definitely doesn’t sound right to me, but I’m all for more button feedback

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just realised the discord has enough boosts to have a custom URL again so here’s the invite link to the discord: https://discord.gg/psgoons

If you are interested please join! It’s a really lovely community with really good people. And because it’s such a different vibe from a message board it doesn’t take away from this thread at all.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

haveblue posted:

While this is generally true for the actual hardware, what the PS5 is warning you to avoid is disk corruption from losing power in the middle of a write, which may cause data loss or require a reformat even if it's still 100% functional

There are ways to counter this like file system journaling but they cost performance so may not be suitable for a game console marketed on I/O numbers
who cares, nerd. my xbox and pc don't have this problem

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jose Oquendo posted:

My parrot does a 100% perfect imitation of the PS5 startup beep. Whenever I go to my gaming lair (with or without him) he starts making that noise

That’s adorable

:goshawk:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Escobarbarian posted:

I only just realised the discord has enough boosts to have a custom URL again so here’s the invite link to the discord: https://discord.gg/psgoons

If you are interested please join! It’s a really lovely community with really good people. And because it’s such a different vibe from a message board it doesn’t take away from this thread at all.

I post a lot of news and articles in the discord and you might end up finding out about more games!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

It makes sense! Haptics are vibrations! You feel them better through your teeth!

They made of sound. Mouth is the sound hole. Basically 1 to 1, it just works!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Lol rest mode

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Rest in Peace Mode because it’s what your console will be doing if you use it

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I use rest mode for when I know Elder Scrolls Online or some other game is gonna update overnight so it's all ready, basically the only time i use it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They made of sound. Mouth is the sound hole. Basically 1 to 1, it just works!

:cool:

BP one day I will get you to join the discord and it will be my greatest lifetime accomplishment (this also applies to veni)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I killed Chaos! What a silly and extremely fun game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I finished Hogwarts Legacy, excellent game!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

:cool:

BP one day I will get you to join the discord and it will be my greatest lifetime accomplishment (this also applies to veni)

I wish you good fortune. :love: Aside from PSN, Google was the last platform/data ecosystem I willingly opted into and that was in like 2005. It took me 15 years to get around to using any of the other features on its platform, and only because the pandemo forced my hand. I didn't even have a cellphone until like 2011 lmao

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Lucky. Mine just makes the sounds of trucks backing up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Seeing how many of you guys talk about this makes me realize how many of you folks don't use UPS (uninterruptable power supplies)

They're basically big batteries. I have my internet mode, TV and ps5 on one.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, after my user account was corrupted on [PS5 Week One] by a grid changeover I got a UPS for like 50 bux. Absolutely essential in the States.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely doesn’t sound right to me, but I’m all for more button feedback

Dorito haptics.

Resident Evil Village is rad. A fun cross between 4 and 7.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ryoga posted:

Lucky. Mine just makes the sounds of trucks backing up.

I lived with a girl who adopted one from an elderly cockney couple and all it ever did was make telephone noises, have half a conversation in an old lady voice, and sometimes say “shut it you slaaaaag” like a guy ritchie character.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

put a ring on that birb

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i wish the ps5 displayed metrics for how long it's been on

mine is only ever on or in rest mode so basically always on

more like BEST mode amirite :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So many of the design decisions in Callisto Protocol have me scratching my head, like it almost feels intentionally designed to be unfun at times. It's such a weird game in that it's not unpolished, it's not buggy, it looks like it cost a fortune to make, it has a hype pedigree and yet it fails on almost every conceivable level in being a fun or compelling game.

I don't even hate it, it's just so meh to bad almost all of the time. There is these brief moments where I'm like "this is decent" but they are usually fleeting as I know something absolutely tedious will be around the next corner.

It really reminds me of The Order 1886 at times. Just this beautiful, polished, bad boring game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wish you good fortune. :love: Aside from PSN, Google was the last platform/data ecosystem I willingly opted into and that was in like 2005. It took me 15 years to get around to using any of the other features on its platform, and only because the pandemo forced my hand. I didn't even have a cellphone until like 2011 lmao

I hope you're enjoying your time in the 20th century, if you get the chance while you're there could you please tell literally anyone who will listen that we need to stop this whole fossil fuel and climate change thing? I'd appreciate it.