Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Combo posted:

I started with Osvald, got Temenos and Throne, and then went across continent and picked up Hikari. Kinda wish I had started with him first, he's awesome. Love his story so far, his abilities, etc. He doesn't feel super useless/weak like Olberic did early on.

He is extremely good. His only real flaw is that the high cost of his learned skills makes him absurdly SP hungry so you might want to find ways to shore that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

I started with Osvald, got Temenos and Throne, and then went across continent and picked up Hikari. Kinda wish I had started with him first, he's awesome. Love his story so far, his abilities, etc. He doesn't feel super useless/weak like Olberic did early on.

Olberic was actually really good.

Honestly nobody in OT1 was useless, though I used H'aanit the least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really want to keep going on my demo playthrough (Started with Hikari), but I got a missing bag sidequest from an NPC and no real clues where it is and I know I would burn all my remaining time smashing my head into that wall :sigh:

Also I am playing on my Steam Deck and I hope that doesn't cause problems when transferring the save to the full game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Watched a review of the game where they called the soundtrack mid while Partitio's theme was playing in the background and I was just like "how can you call anything from Yasunori Nishiki mid".

I'm hyped. Haven't even really spent all that much time on the demo because I just wanna go ham with the full game release. Still undecided on main character but mayhaps inspiration will strike once I'm stuck at the selection screen on the full release. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gonna go with Agnea because she has that Tressa energy

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Olberic was actually really good.

Honestly nobody in OT1 was useless, though I used H'aanit the least.

Keeping in mind that I had been playing through OT1 but was only just finishing up the chapter 2s and Olberic was the last person I picked up, I just haven't been a big fan of him yet. I haven't leveled him to catch up with everyone else yet, he's like 16 or 17 while my main squad is around 30-35.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kheldarn posted:

Eagerly awaiting Mega64's LP of OTII

Same

Gonna wait until closer to release to do the demo so I can immediately jump into the actual game, just like I did for OT1. Big thing is I gotta figure out a main to pick since I've done like no reading up on this game yet...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Watched a review of the game where they called the soundtrack mid while Partitio's theme was playing in the background and I was just like "how can you call anything from Yasunori Nishiki mid".

I'm hyped. Haven't even really spent all that much time on the demo because I just wanna go ham with the full game release. Still undecided on main character but mayhaps inspiration will strike once I'm stuck at the selection screen on the full release. :v:

The soundtrack loving rocks and I have no idea how anyone can say otherwise.

Mega64 posted:

Same

Gonna wait until closer to release to do the demo so I can immediately jump into the actual game, just like I did for OT1. Big thing is I gotta figure out a main to pick since I've done like no reading up on this game yet...

If I had to make a non-spoiler tier list of best to pick:

Ochette
Hikari
Castti
Osvald
Partitio
Agnes
Throne
Temenos.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 17, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
OHCOPATT

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
How are people picking between the owl and jakal for Ochette?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shyfted One posted:

I went with Jackal since I had Osvald and Temenos already for magic.

It's a hard choice!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shyfted One posted:

The jackal is cuter imo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

Keeping in mind that I had been playing through OT1 but was only just finishing up the chapter 2s and Olberic was the last person I picked up, I just haven't been a big fan of him yet. I haven't leveled him to catch up with everyone else yet, he's like 16 or 17 while my main squad is around 30-35.

Yeah the order you get characters is going to influence it somewhat, I started with Olberic and H'aanit was my last pickup. Some are still more universally useful like Alfyn, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Combo posted:

Olberic's story has some really hardcore moments, the duels you get to fight are hype af, probably the most intense 1v1 rpg battles since Frog v Magus

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

Olberic's story has some really hardcore moments, the duels you get to fight are hype af, probably the most intense 1v1 rpg battles since Frog v Magus

Well I'm enjoying OT2 quite a bit more than OT1 which I've been playing on and off since like October and am only done with chapter 2s.

Maybe after I finish OT2 I'll go back and finish 1.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly I felt very rewarded by starting out with Temenos because on top of the fact that he’s a great character the very first fight of the game dropping you right into a clash between gods was a really unexpected and rad intro.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I finally popped off the demo last night.

I’ve only gotten a bit of a ways through his intro, but… Is it just me, or does the dialogue in Hikari’s feel really wooden and predictable so far?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
After playing the first on the Switch, the swap to PC and playing this game at 4k 60fps with max settings on an OLED TV good lord it takes an already good looking style to new heights.

I started with Osvald and picked up Throne. I'm probably gong to do the playtime edit thing so I can explore some more. Is it possible to give yourself a negative playtime to be able tp play more than 3 hours in a single go or do you just reset to 0:00?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Fluffy posted:

After playing the first on the Switch, the swap to PC and playing this game at 4k 60fps with max settings on an OLED TV good lord it takes an already good looking style to new heights.

I started with Osvald and picked up Throne. I'm probably gong to do the playtime edit thing so I can explore some more. Is it possible to give yourself a negative playtime to be able tp play more than 3 hours in a single go or do you just reset to 0:00?

If you keep cheatengine open it'll just constantly reset the timer back to 0:00:00 anytime a second passes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I guess that'd work too, I was going to do the online editor thing so that I wouldn't need to gently caress around with cheatengine or any issues it might cause for other games I play since I've never bothered with it before.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I have distinct memories of Hunter being far and away the most important job in 1 despite H'aanit being insufferable

Glad to see I'll be starting as a beast girl this time around

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Froghammer posted:

I have distinct memories of Hunter being far and away the most important job in 1 despite H'aanit being insufferable

Glad to see I'll be starting as a beast girl this time around

that was mostly because Leghold Trap was insanely good and all the Hunter passives were bonkers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So have y’all recognized any of the English voice actors? Like the nameless grunt from Hikari’s Challenge tutorial who’s pretty clearly Richard Epcar

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah if you just change it to a negative value you'll be fine playing indefinitely. I did that over last weekend.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Regalingualius posted:

So have y’all recognized any of the English voice actors? Like the nameless grunt from Hikari’s Challenge tutorial who’s pretty clearly Richard Epcar

the lion from Ochette's story is, fittingly, Leo Whitefang from guilty gear

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Some peeps have got the game early, so spoilers may crop up at your usual go-to spots for Octopath discussion.

The spreadsheet, if some of you are in the know about it, is also being updated with datamined stuff as we speak.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Guess it's time to unplug from octopath discussion until sometime next week. See you guys in a week!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Still haven't done much research, but I just figured out how to pick my main.

Without any elaboration, who seems to be the biggest boozehound in OT2?

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Still haven't done much research, but I just figured out how to pick my main.

Without any elaboration, who seems to be the biggest boozehound in OT2?

I think you probably wanna pick Partitio.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah Partitio most likely, given his night-time art on the selection screen is him getting rowdy with the boys in a tavern.

Now I gotta do some alcohol headcanons...

Ochette - A child so she doesn't drink even if she wanted to. That said she's probably had some funky fermented poo poo out in the wild and could probably hold her alcohol better than most adults.

Castti - Doesn't drink. Not because she has any moral objections to it she just doesn't care for it and drinking would make her sloppy on her medical work. If she does drink she's out like a light after half a shot.

Temenos - Absolutely will throw down the gauntlet. If anyone objects due to his position in the church his only response is "What, you don't think the gods themselves wouldn't get sloppy?". Against everyone's expectations he's a fun party drunk and him and Partitio regularly hang together at the tavern. Unlike Partitio though he gets horrible hangovers and will be grumpy as hell about it.

Osvald - If not for having been in prison where he couldn't get his hands on alcohol I feel like he would be a depressed alcoholic. Due to circumstances though he doesn't drink and is now too focused on revenge to think about it. Gets melancholic, depressing, and talks way too much about his tragic backstory when drunk.

Partitio - Rowdy fun drunk. His favorite thing to do at the end of the day is have a good time at the tavern. Inexplicably is always up bright and early the next day seeming perfectly fine no matter how much he drinks.

Agnea - Social drinker. Doesn't go out of her way to drink on her own but if she's out with friends or mingling with the crowd after a show she'll happily partake. Fun, bubbly, and flirty drunk.

Throne - Drinking is just part of the lifestyle of being a guild thief and hitman. Can drink pretty much anyone else under the table and never seems to get even the least bit tipsy no matter how much she drinks.

Hikari - Light drinker. Bit of a snob with his alcohol. A quiet and refined drunk up but if he has even just a drop too much he instantly turns into a very sloppy drunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Castti is a big drinker actually.

You absolutely find out who can and can't hold their booze.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm a big fan of the ongoing theme that [chapter 2] everyone from the west is a stupid hick in their own respective ways. Hikari freaking out because the steam engine is at least as strong as 10 strong men, Partitio not knowing what a business card is despite being a traveling merchant, and Agnea thinking "ticket" is "just a fun word to say"

e: also what's the spreadsheet that was alluded to earlier?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 22, 2023

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Countblanc posted:

e: also what's the spreadsheet that was alluded to earlier?
This one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd0ZS8QmKC14qlXw43jPm0ytzMy4nczKJG5CD5QSi3M/edit#gid=1101040778
I'll note that looking up the character sheet will spoil each character's EX skills.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cool, thank you.

Temenos' merchant sprite is adorable

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna take a couple of days for my GMG key to arrive.

I should probably re-edit my save to like 2h30 or something lol.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna take a couple of days for my GMG key to arrive.

I should probably re-edit my save to like 2h30 or something lol.

Ha, I actually kept the value on my save from before I changed it, i was just going to change it back, same as you.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Aw man, I accidentally wiped out my Throné save with my Osvald save. Didn't realize there was only one slot (per Switch profile) until too late.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Cool, thank you.

Temenos' merchant sprite is adorable

I find it amusing how Hunter turns anyone into a catperson

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started the Demo as Throné because I don’t want to run into any purple treasure chest bs like in the first game. There doesn’t seem to be anything like that though. I like her! And her abilities seem pretty good. I stole a lot of good equipment and items which I sold to buy even more better equipment. Game seems to flow better than the first one, I’m not sure how else to explain it. I played through her ch 1 in about 90 minutes and immediately preordered it. Looking forward to this one!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Been using the demo to just keep making fresh files to try out the various travelers. I think at this point I'm well-sold on picking Partitio as my main for the full game. What a good cool dude. And the voice acting is top notch.

Hikari is a very close second though, also superbly well voice acted. I'm gonna devour this game just like the first one I can feel it.